PDA

View Full Version : DE, Jerry Hughes, TCU

sbh15
12-11-2008, 07:19 PM
What do you think of this guy as potentially a 3-4 OLB? I just saw he was named an all-american, but I don't know much about him, so I was wondering what you guys thought.

STARHEATHER
12-11-2008, 07:33 PM
i got him vs colorado st and it wasnt freaky good. im looking forward to his bowl game apparently hes been tearing it up since then. the only issue id say that i saw was hes not a huge guy and hes tight for an olb. can beat blockers decent off the corner etc. but i didnt see anything crazy. like i said i havent seen him since early in the year maybe his bowl will move him up a bit for me i dont have him as high as most. he looks like he could be limited athletically and physically vs the competition its a strong yr for 3-4 olbs. might be best to come back he could elevate his status to first rd lock type stuff if he duplicates this yr production. in a class as heavy as this one though he doesnt look as good as some of the others. not really all that much not to like though. hes agood football player. i didnt see that freaky greatnesspotential though as ive seen in the others but ill reserve udgement until i see his bowl. hes been playing lots better supposedly since earlier in the yr

BamaFalcon59
12-11-2008, 07:35 PM
He's no Jason Worilds, but he is good.

bored of education
12-11-2008, 07:36 PM
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26705

sbh15
12-11-2008, 07:41 PM
He's no Jason Worilds, but he is good.

MTAT STAFURD IZ NO TRYOD TAYLUR EETHUR!

I think there are better 3-4 OLB prospects to compare him to than your homer Virginia Tech guy, even if he is good.

STARHEATHER
12-11-2008, 07:45 PM
no doubt. if hes going to be a high pick you have to compare him to the top of the class not just some dude

BamaFalcon59
12-11-2008, 07:59 PM
no doubt. if hes going to be a high pick you have to compare him to the top of the class not just some dude

SH, you are ignorant about anything. Worilds isn't 'some dude'. 8 sacks and 18.5 tackles for loss as a sophmore with a dislocated shoulder is excellent. He's 6'2" 255 and runs a 4.5 second 40 yard dash. Not to mention he stops the run much better than Hughes.

Hokie's#1
12-11-2008, 08:03 PM
Although I'm a Virginia Tech fan. I think Hughes is better than Worilds.

STARHEATHER
12-11-2008, 08:06 PM
ive seen them a couple times it wasnt fraky stuff from him. plus no disrespect to the general student population at va tech but i dont like players from there. SOME of the young men they bring in there arent eactly the high quality boy scouts they look for in the nfl. if youre a va tech player youre going to need to be bruce smith type talent for me to consider. i much prefer jerry hughes. i dont think ive seen jason worilds rated as a top olb prospect so i wouldnt use him as an nfl measuring stick for jerry hughes

Hokie's#1
12-11-2008, 08:13 PM
ive seen them a couple times it wasnt fraky stuff from him. plus no disrespect to the general student population at va tech but i dont like players from there. SOME of the young men they bring in there arent eactly the high quality boy scouts they look for in the nfl. if youre a va tech player youre going to need to be bruce smith type talent for me to consider. i much prefer jerry hughes. i dont think ive seen jason worilds rated as a top olb prospect so i wouldnt use him as an nfl measuring stick for jerry hughes

First of all Worilds is only a redshirt sophomore. I don't understand your "boy scouts" comment at all. Please elaborate.

renegade
12-11-2008, 08:14 PM

You are the smarterest people everestzz! You are very obviously the judge of prospects and because Worilds goes to VT he is very obviously a terrible person. He wasn't a boy scout, THATS NOT AMERICAN! Worilds isn't American! Worilds isn't as good as the most prolific DE in NFL history who was chosen with the #1 overall pick, so he is destined for failz.

BamaFalcon59
12-11-2008, 08:14 PM

Lol, I won't even bother.

Oh, and Hokies#1, I'll take Worilds every time. I've seen both. And if Hughes is better than Worilds, it isn't by much. Worilds will only get better as time gos by and his shoulder recovers.

Anyways, lets get back on subject.

BamaFalcon59
12-11-2008, 08:15 PM

Most draft prospect rankings do not have sophmores listed. Especially on defense.

STARHEATHER
12-11-2008, 08:21 PM
mike vick
deangelo hall
etc

theres a reason why va tech in somewhere western virginia competes every year vs the bigger programs. theyre willing to accept some young men with checkered histories as long as they can play football. its a loose program.

BamaFalcon59
12-11-2008, 08:23 PM
Wow, are you ignorant or what?

I won't speak about past years (even though you are judging entire teams on a few players), but this year we are a blue-collar team.

Anyway, back to Jerry Hughes.

STARHEATHER
12-11-2008, 08:24 PM
i said some players not all. and yes back to jerry

sbh15
12-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Well my point was that while I think Worilds is good, he's not an NFL measuring stick, considering Hughes will be in the NFL before him more than likely. You would be better served saying "he's good, but he's no DeMarcus Ware" or something like that. STARHEATHER has taken it a bit too far, but anyway, I agree. Back to Hughes - I think he could be a good 3-4 OLB, but not a brilliant one.

renegade
12-11-2008, 08:26 PM
mike vick
deangelo hall
etc

theres a reason why va tech in somewhere western virginia competes every year vs the bigger programs. theyre willing to accept some young men with checkered histories as long as they can play football. its a loose program.

so let me get this straight, you are saying that all Virginia Tech players are bad because they have had some problem players? That is simply crazy, you can't assume that type of thing, guilt by association isn't cool. North Korea has a train system does that mean that trains are bad? No and assuming that Worilds is a bad character guy due to the past transgressions of players like DeAngelo Hall, Michael Vick, Marcus Vick and Jimmy Williams is just flat out ignorant.

STARHEATHER
12-11-2008, 08:32 PM
i say i have questions about the character of any player from there yes. is it warranted for all and are they all bad guys certainly not. you can have your angles ill keep mine you dont have to agree. im hoping jerry hughes shows me some freaky stuff in his bowl game. im not sure how i took it too far. i ust explained why i wouldnt compre hughes to worilds. and use that as my measuring stick. id be more iclined to find and nfl player he compares to so im reserving my judgement on hughes until after i see his bowl

bored of education
12-12-2008, 07:30 AM
Well my point was that while I think Worilds is good, he's not an NFL measuring stick, considering Hughes will be in the NFL before him more than likely. You would be better served saying "he's good, but he's no DeMarcus Ware" or something like that. STARHEATHER has taken it a bit too far, but anyway, I agree. Back to Hughes - I think he could be a good 3-4 OLB, but not a brilliant one.

I think he could be a special player. If you seen him play he has that James Harrison/Joey Porter mentality. He can make a play on the ball every snap that he is out there. Running down sweeps on the other side of the field for only a 4-6 yards gain. he is all over the place. He is underrated against the run. I think spending a year backing someone up as a 3-4 OLB that he could be one of the next best things at 3-4 olb.

Mr. Stiller
12-12-2008, 07:25 PM

I disagree. Hughes is pretty nasty.

He's what Tommy Blake was supposed to be and more.

4.4-4.5 speed, 6'2 250+lbs and the guy is very fluid. Another RB->DE convert for TCU. He plays the run very very well. I'd have to see more of his game, I think he'd be best fit as a WDE in a Cover2 predicated scheme (Here's looking at you KC)..

Or a 3-4 OLB.

What I think however, is that his teammates Matt Panfil and Cody Moore are severely underrated.

Moore is one of the best guys you never hear about types.

Mr. Stiller
12-12-2008, 07:26 PM
I think he could be a special player. If you seen him play he has that James Harrison/Joey Porter mentality. He can make a play on the ball every snap that he is out there. Running down sweeps on the other side of the field for only a 4-6 yards gain. he is all over the place. He is underrated against the run. I think spending a year backing someone up as a 3-4 OLB that he could be one of the next best things at 3-4 olb.

I was going to compare him to a bigger, more agile James Harrison type. Same Nasty attitude.

But, I didn't want to hear the "You compare everyone to a Steeler).

vatech=accdomination
12-13-2008, 02:03 AM
RB->DE convert. He plays the run very very well.

lol, kind of idd-ish

STARHEATHER
12-13-2008, 01:13 PM
wow. james harrison. hughes bigger more agile. the soon to be nfl defensive poy. maybe taller but not stronger or more compactly built. and not as loose or the same level athlete. there really arent many comparisons to harrison. hes a special different type olb

CroomDawgs
12-13-2008, 01:19 PM
mike vick
deangelo hall
etc

I'm pretty sure neither one of those two got in trouble in college....

captainjack27
12-13-2008, 01:42 PM
mike vick
deangelo hall
etc

Other than the Vick Brothers and Hall, who can you name? Funny, I don't see Kevin Jones, Xavier Adibi, Eddie Royal, Aaron Rouse, Duane Brown, and I'm sure a boatload of others that have been fine. Quit talking out of you ass.

Loggerhead
12-13-2008, 08:31 PM
I get you now mythbusta you are a UVA fan. That explains the talk of Macho Harris being a bust, saying Worilds is a scumbag, and talking crap about the school. Thats cool I'll give a toast to you when we beat your ass again next year.

Mr. Stiller
12-14-2008, 08:47 PM
I get you now mythbusta you are a UVA fan. That explains the talk of Macho Harris being a bust, saying Worilds is a scumbag, and talking crap about the school. Thats cool I'll give a toast to you when we beat your ass again next year.

He says he's a Steelers fan yet he consistently shows his ignorance of everything Steelers related.