PDA

View Full Version : Mike Mayock comes out with his first top 21

Iamcanadian
12-13-2008, 12:09 AM
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80d41ead

So begins the complete change in mock drafts as the new king of the draft speaks. You also have to remember that this list will undergo major changes as the post season plays itself out. Probably no more than his top 15 will actually be 1st rounders when the juniors declare but the remaining 5 or 6 will all be either very late 1st rounders or very early 2nd rounders.
This list is full of shocks but if you play the video, he has a lot of interesting stuff to say. He mentions that Clay Mathhews is at #21.

fischbowl
12-13-2008, 12:26 AM
Mike Mayock is a poopy-butt ******

[mod edit]

diabsoule
12-13-2008, 12:28 AM
I really like the love for Louis Delmas who is moving up my draft chart. I have him as the second highest senior S behind William Moore.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-13-2008, 12:33 AM
Pettigrew that high is a bit surprising. I like him plenty, but I don't think he's quite the kind of talent that deserves to be that high. I like Jason Smith that high, although Mayock is right, his run-blocking is a bit of a mystery.

Overall, some interesting things there to think about. I don't really tend to pay Mayock a whole ton of mind, but sometimes he comes up with something that catches your eye (Louis Delmas, for instance).

ElectricEye
12-13-2008, 12:43 AM
Pettigrew is placed aggressively. Probably too aggressively. Character concerns, and personally I really don't think he's much more than a Daniel Graham type of guy. Useful player to have for sure, but there's guys at his position that will end up making more of an impact.

I really like where Sintim is, except the fact he's under English. English is a little too high IMO. Raji is very high as well, although he's starting to earn that kind of recognition.

Iamcanadian
12-13-2008, 01:34 AM
Pettigrew is placed aggressively. Probably too aggressively. Character concerns, and personally I really don't think he's much more than a Daniel Graham type of guy. Useful player to have for sure, but there's guys at his position that will end up making more of an impact.

I really like where Sintim is, except the fact he's under English. English is a little too high IMO. Raji is very high as well, although he's starting to earn that kind of recognition.

I got the feeling that Mayock hates the new style offense with no blocking TE's. He said as much during the video. He also said he wouldn't be surprised to see Pettigrew go as the 3rd TE selected in the draft so he's expecting him to fall lower than where he has him.
This is just his first attempt and if last year is any example, there will be a lot of movement as the draft process goes forward. However that part about impact could be questioned, because Mayock did say that Pettigrew is the best blocking TE he has seen in quite a few years and while he may not have a real impact as a pass catcher, teams are running the ball again with great success and as a blocker he will be an impact player.
English could be this year's Ware, a guy who gets little recognition until the Senior Bowl and subsequent combine. He could really jump up the draft charts as the post season takes place. Small college players and juniors have the most to gain from the post season as pro teams spend a lot less time scouting juniors till they declare and really cannot tell how small college players will respond to playing against far better talent. These groups have a lot to gain from the post season, far more than the seniors who have been gone over with a fine tooth comb already.

NIN1984
12-13-2008, 01:51 AM
Oher at 11 and that could change for the worse. I noticed a lot of people are having him drop out of the top 5. Its going to be interesting to see what happens with Oher with so many great OTs possibly coming out.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-13-2008, 01:52 AM
I'm not really sure that English is anywhere close to the same kind of athlete that Ware was coming out of Troy. I expect his stock to rise, but not into the top 20.

SenorGato
12-13-2008, 02:20 AM
Not to be cocky (if anyone would see this as so), but he sounds like me.

Iamcanadian
12-13-2008, 02:26 AM
Not to be cocky (if anyone would see this as so), but he sounds like me.

All your missing is his pro contacts among scouts and GM's and his endless file of pro scouting tapes which focus on each player's whole game rather than spend most of the time following the ball.
If you had those your cockiness could be forgiven but without them nobody on these boards has a right to be cocky, opinionated maybe but not cocky.

Iamcanadian
12-13-2008, 02:32 AM
I'm not really sure that English is anywhere close to the same kind of athlete that Ware was coming out of Troy. I expect his stock to rise, but not into the top 20.

You may be absolutely right but nobody really knew how good Ware was before the Senior Bowl and the combine. We just don't have access to the type of film Mayock has nor are we able to ask our contacts throughout the NFL like he can. If I could, I would be able to give you a sure fire answer.
We are just going to have to see him at the Senior Bowl and the combine before we can be sure exactly how much talent he has.

SenorGato
12-13-2008, 02:36 AM
All your missing is his pro contacts among scouts and GM's and his endless file of pro scouting tapes which focus on each player's whole game rather than spend most of the time following the ball.
If you had those your cockiness could be forgiven but without them nobody on these boards has a right to be cocky, opinionated maybe but not cocky.

Yea...crazy how easy this stuff is when you think about it. It's really just simple, basical fundamentals anyway.

Scott Wright
12-13-2008, 03:06 AM
League people really love Pettigrew. In fact, most have him as one of the Top 7-10 seniors.

Personally, I really like him but I think Daniel Graham is a pretty darn good comparison and he was a mid-20's pick coming out.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-13-2008, 03:33 AM
I don't know. I've never been really impressed with Graham's blocking and from what I've seen, maybe Pettigrew would be more like bit faster version of Zach Miller. No matter his talent, if there's really something to worry about attitude-wise, he won't be going top 20.

HellonEarth84
12-13-2008, 03:44 AM
Mayock said that Larry English reminds him of LaMarr Woodley. I was thinking the exact same thing.

They even LOOK alike. Facial wise and similar build. English will draw a lot of comparisons to Woodley and that should help his stock considering how successful Woodleys been this year. Perhaps a 34 team picking late in the first round will take a good look at him.

JDB7821
12-16-2008, 01:09 PM
All I know is that I'll never doubt Mayock again after Matt Ryan. I 100% did not want Ryan drafted by the Falcons, but he and Mayock proved me dead wrong.

Burns336
12-16-2008, 01:36 PM
NO!!! Clay Mathews needs to last until at least the 3rd round! Stop the rising, now!

nyqua
12-16-2008, 01:42 PM
Can someone post a list, I can't view NFL.com videos for some reason.

LonghornsLegend
12-16-2008, 01:44 PM
All I know is that I'll never doubt Mayock again after Matt Ryan. I 100% did not want Ryan drafted by the Falcons, but he and Mayock proved me dead wrong.

I remember that, and him emphatically praising Cutler more so then the other two QB's, his track record has been pretty good especially with QB's.

draftguru151
12-16-2008, 01:48 PM
I don't really recall any of the draft analysts not praising Ryan.