PDA

View Full Version : LeSean McCoy or C.J. Spiller?

JaxJag_1
12-13-2008, 08:55 AM
Who's your pick between McCoy and Spiller?

thule
12-13-2008, 09:23 AM
Who's your pick between McCoy and Spiller?

McCoy is my pick. When you watch McCoy run one thing I noticed was his yards after contact....that is something that he excels at....you don't ever see him go down right away.....Spiller might have the trump in speed....but other than that I don't see a reason that you'd take spiller over McCoy...McCoy is equal or better at everything that Spiller is...so I give McCoy the easy edge.

Mr. Stiller
12-13-2008, 10:42 AM
McCoy is my pick. When you watch McCoy run one thing I noticed was his yards after contact....that is something that he excels at....you don't ever see him go down right away.....Spiller might have the trump in speed....but other than that I don't see a reason that you'd take spiller over McCoy...McCoy is equal or better at everything that Spiller is...so I give McCoy the easy edge.

eh, Spiller has return capabilities. I can see a team drafting spiller to be their Change of Pace back and return man... not over McCoy though. McCoy is a feature back. Spiller has to be part of a Tandem.

STARHEATHER
12-13-2008, 10:53 AM
spiller. ill take the guy who can take it to the house on any play and return kicks. hell be the fastest player in the draft should challenge chris johnsons 4.24 if not better it as he was an ncaa 100 and 60 meter finalist. hes a pure space player but once hes in that space he can change the game in an instant both in the return pass or run game. not much as a tackle breaker or getting toughyrads. mccoy cant get the tough yards but unlike spiller he will never take it long to the house on any play and has no value added skills. spiller late rd 1
mccoy i wouldnt pick too slow cant break tackles bad combination

Mr. Stiller
12-13-2008, 11:03 AM
spiller. ill take the guy who can take it to the house on any play and return kicks. hell be the fastest player in the draft should challenge chris johnsons 4.24 if not better it as he was an ncaa 100 and 60 meter finalist. hes a pure space player but once hes in that space he can change the game in an instant both in the return pass or run game. not much as a tackle breaker or getting toughyrads. mccoy cant get the tough yards but unlike spiller he will never take it long to the house on any play and has no value added skills. spiller late rd 1

Further proving you shouldn't comment on McCoy.

McCoy can take nearly any play to the house, he's the only offensive threat on Pitts offense. He doesn't have an Aaron Kelly, Tyler Grisham, James Davis to work with.. not to mention they still have one of the better Senior QB's.

And he does break a lot of Tackles, he just doesn't run over people.

STARHEATHER
12-13-2008, 11:16 AM
hes the only threat on pitts offense doesnt concern me. ive seen him adnauseum i see how hes getting his yards its not how you get yards in the nfl. example vs uconn he had 23 carries 94 yards. one run he ran untouched srtaight up the middle for 50 yards. that doesnt happen in the nfl at least not against the steelers youre lucky to get to the line without a hand on you. and the other 22 carries he had 44 yds. so take away that 50 yd run that would never have happened in the nfl against uconn hes aveaging 2 ypc. im a pitt fan but unfortuantely these small slow guys dont do that well at the nfl level.

thule
12-13-2008, 11:22 AM
hes the only threat on pitts offense doesnt concern me. ive seen him adnauseum i see how hes getting his yards its not how you get yards in the nfl. example vs uconn he had 23 carries 94 yards. one run he ran untouched srtaight up the middle for 50 yards. that doesnt happen in the nfl at least not against the steelers youre lucky to get to the line without a hand on you. and the other 22 carries he had 44 yds. so take away that 50 yd run that would never have happened in the nfl against uconn hes aveaging 2 ypc. im a pitt fan but unfortuantely these small slow guys dont do that well at the nfl level.

So when teams stack the box against Adrian Peterson and he goes for something like 20/44 does that mean he isn't going to make it in the NFL either. UConn had 8-9 in the box the whole game...Pitt QB is a joke...and UConn made McCoy beat them....you can't just take one game and use it as justification......remember this is also a guy who you said couldn't take it to the house...yet he did it in this game.

STARHEATHER
12-13-2008, 11:25 AM
so if ap superfreak best back in the nfl is getting 20/50 what do you think smaller slower cant break tackles mccoys going to do? 20/-20

BuddyCHRIST
12-13-2008, 11:36 AM
I do think McCoy can be a feature back, I like his lateral quickness when I see him. I think CJ Spiller could be really good though in the right situation, he's so fast and has the best acceleration I've ever seen, but contrary to backs like him, he runs downhill and doesn't dance around. Which is rare for speed backs and is what makes Chris Johnson so good.

STARHEATHER
12-13-2008, 11:41 AM
you cant outrun nfl defenses laterallly at least not any good ones with consistentcy. you cant hop around back there against nfl defenses hoping theyll miss. they dont. hes a pure space runner without the pure space home run ability. hes reggie bush without the the take it to the house ability and value add skills

TimD
12-13-2008, 11:44 AM
So what does this guy do good heather? i mean if he's so bad why is he a prospect in the first place. enlighten us all

Race for the Heisman
12-13-2008, 11:55 AM
McCoy as a tailback, Spiller as one of these new 'weapon' players who are somewhere between running back and wide receiver. I think McCoy would be the second back taken if he declares. Spiller, I absolutely do not like him as a running back and would not take him until round, let's say five-ish as a running back, but for his catching and special teams value he could go in the third (for me).

STARHEATHER
12-13-2008, 11:59 AM
he runs well in space he has good jukes. he can make people miss in space. problem in the nfl that space is far more limited than it is in college.what he doesnt have is more the issue see above. lots of backs have run for 1500 yds in college. theyre not all nfl stars. how the yards are achieved is ust as important for me when looking at a back as how many there are. i try to picture any run i see and i say would he make that run vs the steelers? could he make a run vs the steelers? if troy polumalu hits him does he have a chance of braking the tackle or is he just going to go down. if aaron smith gets through the line and gets a hand on him is he going to break that tackle and make a negative out of a positive.? thats what you have to do to run the ball efeectively at the nfl level. got to run through them or around them. and you got to be fast to get around them and make them miss. the best backs combine great power and tackle breaking ability which mccoy doesnt have with great speed and athleticism ehich mccoy doesnt have. he has the jukes but he doesnt have two other key traits for me. he doesnt have the speed to make the big palys or the power/tackle breaking ability to get those tough yards where your ol gets beat and its up to you to turn that negative into a positive. you have to be able to do it. there are few gaping holes come sunday unless youre playing kc that week

Cigaro
12-13-2008, 12:07 PM

He will not challenge Chris Johnson's 4.24 time. He's extremely fast, but not that fast. He's not even fastest on his own team; Jacoby Ford, who has ran unofficial 4.126's, is. He may challenge Chris Johnson's time, but not Spiller. Spiller will run in the 4.35-4.4 range.

I'm going with McCoy, but it depends on the situation. McCoy, he can be a primary back, Spiller can not. If I'm drafting the running back of the future, it's McCoy all day, and all night. If I already have a solid but not great power back, and maybe looking also for a returner/receiver, I may choose Spiller. Spiller can't run between the tackles at the collegiate level, so he certainly can't in the pros. However he is very good in space. He's a lesser man's Reggie Bush.

Cigaro
12-13-2008, 12:12 PM

You want to know an interesting fact? Against Boston College, C.J. Spiller carried the ball eight times for 55 yards. You want to know his long? 57 yards. So if you take away his longest run, against the most pro-like run defense Spiller has faced, he carried the ball seven times for -2 yards, and amazing -.28571 YPC average.

TimD
12-13-2008, 12:13 PM
he runs well in space he has good jukes. he can make people miss in space. problem in the nfl that space is far more limited than it is in college.what he doesnt have is more the issue see above. lots of backs have run for 1500 yds in college. theyre not all nfl stars. how the yards are achieved is ust as important for me when looking at a back as how many there are. i try to picture any run i see and i say would he make that run vs the steelers? could he make a run vs the steelers? if troy polumalu hits him does he have a chance of braking the tackle or is he just going to go down. if aaron smith gets through the line and gets a hand on him is he going to break that tackle and make a negative out of a positive.? thats what you have to do to run the ball efeectively at the nfl level. got to run through them or around them. and you got to be fast to get around them and make them miss. the best backs combine great power and tackle breaking ability which mccoy doesnt have with great speed and athleticism ehich mccoy doesnt have. he has the jukes but he doesnt have two other key traits for me. he doesnt have the speed to make the big palys or the power/tackle breaking ability to get those tough yards where your ol gets beat and its up to you to turn that negative into a positive. you have to be able to do it. there are few gaping holes come sunday unless youre playing kc that week

see i agree with this thinking. thats a good way to scout prospects and such, but i think you are giving him way too little credit. he obviously has the ability to play at the nfl level. if he didnt he would not be a potential first round pick. i think you need to give him more credit. hes earned it

STARHEATHER
12-13-2008, 12:18 PM
pitt is my favorite college team so theres definitley no hate. hes ust not an nfl stud. i saw cj spiller run in an ncaa 100 meter final meaning hes one of the 8 fastets 100 meter men in the country. against trindon holliday and tyson ***. and at 40 yds, he was right there. he will challenge if not beat chris johnsons time. he ran in a final aghainst tyson ***. he knows how to run fast times. i dont htink chris johnson ran in a 100 meter final vs tyson ***. hes one of the 30 fastes men on the planet in alll likelihood. for a professional sprinter of that caliber sub 4.3 is nearly a lock.

Race for the Heisman
12-13-2008, 12:27 PM
You want to know an interesting fact? Against Boston College, C.J. Spiller carried the ball eight times for 55 yards. You want to know his long? 57 yards. So if you take away his longest run, against the most pro-like run defense Spiller has faced, he carried the ball seven times for -2 yards, and amazing -.28571 YPC average.

This is exactly why I said what I said. I know you don't condemn a prospect based on one game, but he's got a horrible Barry Sanders complex and he's nowhere close to Barry Sanders.

Cigaro
12-13-2008, 12:30 PM
pitt is my favorite college team so theres definitley no hate. hes ust not an nfl stud. i saw cj spiller run in an ncaa 100 meter final meaning hes one of the 8 fastets 100 meter men in the country. against trindon holliday and tyson ***. and at 40 yds, he was right there. he will challenge if not beat chris johnsons time. he ran in a final aghainst tyson ***. he knows how to run fast times. i dont htink chris johnson ran in a 100 meter final vs tyson ***. hes one of the 30 fastes men on the planet in alll likelihood. for a professional sprinter of that caliber sub 4.3 is nearly a lock.

C.J. Spiller never ran in 100m finals. Jacoby Ford did, and the other Clemson athlete is Travis Padgett. So you were saying?

Also, Tyson *** had graduated college the same year Spiller graduated high school.

SenorGato
12-13-2008, 12:31 PM
McCoy in a landslide. McCoy is this years best RB prospect by a long shot...I really hope he doesn't stay in school...lol it's funny to say that. "Don't stay in school LeSean, play football!"

STARHEATHER
12-13-2008, 12:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzshbAHF8Z8

Race for the Heisman
12-13-2008, 12:41 PM

This is the 60, not 100. You said it was the 100. Not denying Spiller's speed, just that you misrepresented it earlier.

illmatic74
12-13-2008, 12:45 PM
They both have gamebreaking ability but Mccoy seems like a 3 down back to me in the NFL.

dabears10
12-13-2008, 12:46 PM

Is this to prove he ran a 6.76 60m? Or that he wasn't running with Tyson *** rather with Spearmon?

Cigaro
12-13-2008, 12:46 PM

Here's the 100m championships, which you claimed Spiller ran, which in turn made him one of the eight fastest men in college according to you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVKsyZntYqk&feature=related

STARHEATHER
12-13-2008, 01:02 PM
i stand corrected on the 100. but i did provide a video of him run ning a 60 vs the world silver medalist. hes going to challenge 4.24. and he makes big plays. between the tackles not a good use. threat to take it any time

CroomDawgs
12-13-2008, 01:16 PM
Once again STARHEATHER shows he knows nothing of football. CJ Spiller is fast ZOMG! Ignore the fact he makes zero cuts at all. He runs straight ahead thats it, and if there's no room to run oh well. I wasn''t a fan of Steve Slaton last year but he read his line well and made good cuts. Spiller just runs straight ahead. Spiller will be a 2nd rounder off speed alone but at best he's Leon Washington.

Cigaro
12-13-2008, 01:27 PM
Once again STARHEATHER shows he knows nothing of football. CJ Spiller is fast ZOMG! Ignore the fact he makes zero cuts at all. He runs straight ahead thats it, and if there's no room to run oh well. I wasn''t a fan of Steve Slaton last year but he read his line well and made good cuts. Spiller just runs straight ahead. Spiller will be a 2nd rounder off speed alone but at best he's Leon Washington.

Spiller makes cuts. That's his problem; he dances too much, admittedly trys to make every play a highlight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxXF4HAksEg&feature=related

vatech=accdomination
12-13-2008, 01:31 PM
McCoy for me. Spiller has an inability to break tacklers, and as seen multiple times over his career, can be shut down.

CroomDawgs
12-13-2008, 01:31 PM
Spiller makes cuts. That's his problem; he dances too much, admittedly trys to make every play a highlight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxXF4HAksEg&feature=related

Idk i watched the opener against Bama and there loss against Wake Forest and every time he got the ball he like ran straight to the hole and once it he got there it was "oh ****!" mode and didn't do anything. It was two elite defenses i know but accoridng to the wise one here you need to beat every team and run for 4560248 yards in that game.

That video to me just showed that he's got elite breakaway speed which is his best attribute. The only cuts i saw were the screen pass vs. BC and the run vs. Maryland.

Cigaro
12-13-2008, 01:42 PM
Idk i watched the opener against Bama and there loss against Wake Forest and every time he got the ball he like ran straight to the hole and once it he got there it was "oh ****!" mode and didn't do anything. It was two elite defenses i know but accoridng to the wise one here you need to beat every team and run for 4560248 yards in that game.

That video to me just showed that he's got elite breakaway speed which is his best attribute. The only cuts i saw were the screen pass vs. BC and the run vs. Maryland.

You missed the GT clip where he juked out two defenders in a five yard distance, and proceeded to take it all the way?

CroomDawgs
12-13-2008, 01:44 PM
You missed the GT clip where he juked out two defenders in a five yard distance, and proceeded to take it all the way?

Yes, somehow i did miss that one haha i'll have to watch it again.

Edit: That was straight up filthy there. Still it came in open space not off a run. Spiller could definetely excel in that receiver role like a leon washington. McCoy can do that though out of the backfield. McCoy IMo is the best RB prospect this year but won't come out.

gpngc
12-13-2008, 03:44 PM
Spiller easily. You guys are somehow making it seem like outrunning ACC defense to the endzone is a bad thing. If you've ever watched this kid play you'd know he's a bigger Chris Johnson with the potential to be a dominant NFL player.

No one has mentioned that Spiller is an excellent receiver out of the backfield.

McCoy is a good player, but not as explosive as Spiller. And he's probably not coming out which makes this conversation moot.

But Spiller is a 1st round pick. If for some reason he drops to the second round I would be VERY surprised if he was still around at pick 40.

Think about it- this is what you get when you draft Spiller:
-Dynamic return man
-Perfect 3rd down back who can catch the ball
-Good kid
-Potentially a star RB

locseti
12-13-2008, 04:26 PM
Lesean McCoy duh.

captainjack27
12-13-2008, 04:38 PM
Spiller easily. You guys are somehow making it seem like outrunning ACC defense to the endzone is a bad thing. If you've ever watched this kid play you'd know he's a bigger Chris Johnson with the potential to be a dominant NFL player.

No one has mentioned that Spiller is an excellent receiver out of the backfield.

McCoy is a good player, but not as explosive as Spiller. And he's probably not coming out which makes this conversation moot.

But Spiller is a 1st round pick. If for some reason he drops to the second round I would be VERY surprised if he was still around at pick 40.

-Dynamic return man
-Good kid
-Potentially a star RB

I beg to differ. Shady McCoy is explosive, but also has superior vision and great power. Spiller is very explosive, but I see him more as a Leon Washington.

vatech=accdomination
12-13-2008, 05:31 PM

-Dynamic return man
-Good kid
-Potentially a star RB

spiller is a hot/cold player, and he always seems to go cold against the good defense, coincidence, i think not.

Race for the Heisman
12-13-2008, 06:03 PM

-Dynamic return man
-Good kid
-Potentially a star RB

Sure, he can catch, but what about block? The draw play probably suits him pretty well so I won't mention it, but in terms of third down backs I'd prefer to get a guy like Arian Foster, Tyrell Sutton, or Marlon Lucky in the sixth or seventh than spend a second on a player like Spiller. Spend another sixth or seventh or a guy like Brian Witherspoon (RS - Jacksonville Jaguars) and you're golden.

JaxJag_1
12-13-2008, 08:57 PM
Race for the Heisman, you are right about Spoon, freakish speed almost unreal, and it's amazing he was undrafted with that speed, and he is now starting to get time at CB with Rashean Mathis on IR

Pokeys
12-13-2008, 09:49 PM
Hey I don't give a **** what the **** kind of numbers Spiller put up cause they don't mean ****. Spiller is a talented running back who should do well when he makes it to the NFL. But too me McCoy looks superior to many running backs out there because of his explosiveness, speed, and decisiveness. With McCoy you often see him making quick reads and hitting the holes quick with a little stutter step. He may not run with much power but he has time to improve his upper body and legs. I really don't those being huge stepping stones for him to become a good NFL player.

Check that 40 time and all that **** at the door next time Heath... Anyone who considers themselves even remotely knowledgeable when it comes to evaluating talent knows 40 times are a weak basis. So many good 40 times have come and gone and it didn't save some of these guys from having terrible Pro careers.

When I think about eating chips, or having some sirloin steaks I think about how the Steelers D defends me. Whether they put 8 guys on the grill or just a normal defensive front. Then I think to myself would Aaron Smith gets through the Line Of Scrimmage and gets a hand on me is he going to break me n half or am I going to make a negative out of a positive?

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
12-13-2008, 10:04 PM
You don't like Spiller because he can't break a tackle? What? He isn't the strongest back, but he isn't Lorenzo Booker now. Reminds me so much of Chris Johnson.

CashmoneyDrew
12-13-2008, 10:56 PM
Hey I don't give a **** what the **** kind of numbers Spiller put up cause they don't mean ****. Spiller is a talented running back who should do well when he makes it to the NFL. But too me McCoy looks superior to many running backs out there because of his explosiveness, speed, and decisiveness. With McCoy you often see him making quick reads and hitting the holes quick with a little stutter step. He may not run with much power but he has time to improve his upper body and legs. I really don't those being huge stepping stones for him to become a good NFL player.

Check that 40 time and all that **** at the door next time Heath... Anyone who considers themselves even remotely knowledgeable when it comes to evaluating talent knows 40 times are a weak basis. So many good 40 times have come and gone and it didn't save some of these guys from having terrible Pro careers.

When I think about eating chips, or having some sirloin steaks I think about how the Steelers D defends me. Whether they put 8 guys on the grill or just a normal defensive front. Then I think to myself would Aaron Smith gets through the Line Of Scrimmage and gets a hand on me is he going to break me n half or am I going to make a negative out of a positive?

What the **** did this guy just say?

Vikes99ej
12-13-2008, 11:21 PM
When I think about eating chips, or having some sirloin steaks I think about how the Steelers D defends me.

Best football metaphor ever.

twizbuck
12-14-2008, 12:39 AM

I've seen McCoy break a few huge runs for TD's...

Cigaro
12-14-2008, 09:47 AM
You don't like Spiller because he can't break a tackle? What? He isn't the strongest back, but he isn't Lorenzo Booker now. Reminds me so much of Chris Johnson.

Spiller can't break a tackle. I've watched 75% of Clemson football games since he's been on campus (I only live about half an hour away), and no Spiller can't break a tackle. That's what they bring in James Davis for, who I believe will be the better pro of the two.

Malaka
12-14-2008, 11:15 AM
I actually like both McCoy and Spiller... but really I like Spiller a bit more.

I think if Clemson had the season we expected them to have at the beginning of the year, CJ Spiller and James Davis would be first round picks, they are both still 2nd round picks.

CJ Spiller is so fast, and if he is drafted to the right team he can excel, Chris Johnson is a great comparison. He will never be a power back, but if he works on his moves, he can be a great NFL back, and at worst a back similar to that of Leon Washington. That is my opinion on the matter but I still like McCoy, he has great vision and elusiveness, I just like Spiller a bit better like I said at the beginning of the post.

Mr. Stiller
12-14-2008, 04:18 PM

I think if Clemson had the season we expected them to have at the beginning of the year, CJ Spiller and James Davis would be first round picks, they are both still 2nd round picks.

CJ Spiller is so fast, and if he is drafted to the right team he can excel, Chris Johnson is a great comparison. He will never be a power back, but if he works on his moves, he can be a great NFL back, and at worst a back similar to that of Leon Washington. That is my opinion on the matter but I still like McCoy, he has great vision and elusiveness, I just like Spiller a bit better like I said at the beginning of the post.

I don't know why these 2 are even being compared. McCoy is a complete back and his counterpart is a guy like Moreno.

Spiller is not Chris Johnson. He may be just as fast, but it's Johnsons agility, and vision that makes him so great. He finds the hole and with his speed he can exploit the defense. Not to mention his OL is awesome.

Spiller has to be a part of a Tandem, and I think he'll never be more than leon washington. Excellent return man, and will break the occasional play off... but he's not great as a pass blocker, and he doesn't have much vision to exploit cutbacks to utilize his speed.

katnip
12-16-2008, 02:54 PM
mccoy for me

spiller 2 me a player who can contribute special teams... basically a leon/sproles/norwood (am i right?)

holt_bruce81
12-16-2008, 03:36 PM
McCoy for me. Not saying Spiller isn't good and won't be good in the NFL, I just love watching McCoy play.

Race for the Heisman
12-16-2008, 07:52 PM

I pity the team that drafts either one on the first day. Spiller will probably go first day, maybe early second, but Davis realistically shouldn't be picked until the fourth if the right juniors declare. I've been projecting with McCoy staying in school and I still don't think I had Davis going in the top four rounds.

BrabbitMcRabbit
12-17-2008, 09:22 PM
They're two different animals. McCoy is more of a pass-catching three down back like Westbrook or Faulk. He might not be as good as those guys, but I think he's cut from the same cloth in terms of body type and playing style.

Spiller is more of a niche back. He probably won't be able to handle full-time duty at the next level, but he can be dangerous committee back like Chris Johnson or Felix Jones. A lot of people think he's overrated, but I don't buy it. He has elite physical tools and he's been productive throughout his college career. There's no reason why he can't become a solid pro player.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-17-2008, 09:25 PM
I'll take Shady every time, the kid is a stud.

ThatThereCarGoin200mph
12-18-2008, 01:29 AM

-Dynamic return man
-Good kid
-Potentially a star RB

uhhh exactly how is he a "bigger chris johnson"... you're an idiot he's not bigger than chris johnson and he wont "challenge" his 4.24 forty btw forty times are very overrated anyways got a good laugh from this hahaha

CroomDawgs
12-18-2008, 02:06 AM
uhhh exactly how is he a "bigger chris johnson"... you're an idiot he's not bigger than chris johnson and he wont "challenge" his 4.24 forty btw forty times are very overrated anyways got a good laugh from this hahaha

Well your not gonna last long here