PDA

View Full Version : Rashad Johnson; S - Alabama...1st rounder?

TheDirtyWord
12-13-2008, 11:05 AM
I'm pretty high on this guy and had hopes that he would be slipping into the 2nd round of the draft. I love how he dreamt of playing at Alabama and walked on to do so and made himself into the integral piece to their re-emergence season this year.

It seemed that most analysts shared this view, but with Mayock putting up his Top 20 (21) prospects list, Johnson was there at 18 or 19. I figure some of the underclassmen declarations will cause him to drop down.

I'm also thinking that his size might work against him in post-season workouts and evaluations as he is a bit undersized. But he's a ballhawk who always seems to be around the ball and his intangibles would appear off the chart.

Is he a 1st rounder, or does he settle into Round 2?

STARHEATHER
12-13-2008, 11:08 AM
he sure does make a lot of plays out there. seems like every other play hes doing something and its mostly all positive. the only thing id say is that he may lack the top end physical skills that youd like to see in the nfl. but hes everywhere hes played like gthe best safety available. limited athleticism probably would keep him from being an elite safety prospect. hard not to like in the games though

TimD
12-13-2008, 11:41 AM
I think depending on where the Jets are picking they may look to take him. They desperately need another safety and adding a playmaker along with Rhodes and Revis would really improve their secondary. He is also a high character guy which Mangini is really into. plus our other first round picks from 'bama worked out pretty well haha lyons and num 12

Race for the Heisman
12-13-2008, 11:51 AM
I had going to the Saints in round 1 after a trade down (it was around 30). I was kind of shrugged off but I still think he's worth it. I just love him as a prospect. As said, not fantastic athleticism but very smart and makes plays in both the running and the passing game. I would love the Bears to get him but I think he belongs somewhere in between our two picks.

Cigaro
12-13-2008, 12:48 PM
Not first rounder likely, but guaranteed second rounder in my opinion.

Iamcanadian
12-13-2008, 01:00 PM
High second rounder at best but not a 1st rounder IMO. Mayock lists him as his 18th ranked senior which equates to round 2 once the juniors declare.

SenorGato
12-13-2008, 01:06 PM
he sure does make a lot of plays out there. seems like every other play hes doing something and its mostly all positive. the only thing id say is that he may lack the top end physical skills that youd like to see in the nfl. but hes everywhere hes played like gthe best safety available. limited athleticism probably would keep him from being an elite safety prospect. hard not to like in the games though

Agreed.

I love how smart this guy plays...he's underrated here because he lacks Taylor Mays' measurables.

I think he's an excellent safety prospect and I've been saying that for a while. Being able to read the field should be a safety's first skill, and Johnson seems to be able to do that really well.

These guys on Alabama's D are really smart...I really like how that D is coached. Even Cody for the unpolished parts on his game strikes me as a guy who can have it "click" if he keeps getting pushed like Saban pushes his guys.

Johnson's a pretty well rounded safety who is considered a leader on a top college D...he backs that up with a good offseason and he'll have a nice Draft day.

See...experience and football intelligence is the advantage most seniors have over juniors IMO...and if Johnson shows hes athletic enough to back up what he shows on the field then he's got a shot to be the first or second safety off this board.