PDA

View Full Version : B.J. Raji

49ersfan_87
12-13-2008, 05:03 PM
How high do you think B.J. Raji is going to go? And who do you think will draft him?

doingthisinsteadofwork
12-13-2008, 05:06 PM
I think mid first round is the highest he could go,maybe top 15.But I think he'd have to have a good senior bowl week.

Babylon
12-13-2008, 06:47 PM
I really like this guy but not sure where he fits in the 1st round. I'd say late 1st is a possibilty but more likely very early in round 2. As in Detroit.

Big_Pete
12-14-2008, 02:13 AM
I really like this guy but not sure where he fits in the 1st round. I'd say late 1st is a possibilty but more likely very early in round 2. As in Detroit.

I doubt Raji will make it into the second round.

I suspect the Giants will seriously look at him if he is available, in fact I wouldn't be overly surprised if they traded up to get him.

They have no major needs with solid starters at all almost all positions and excellent depth at every position. Plus the WR, CB, DB and S classes (perhaps their biggest needs) are quite deep.

The Giants love BC linemen.

It fits well with Coughlin's philosophy of winning the battle of the trenches, plus give Spagnuolo more options (The Eagles have a history of loading up at DT).

The one think the Giants lack on defense (ever since Keith Hamilton's reitrement) is that dominant run stuffer inside.

At DE they will have a dominant rotation with Umenyiora, Tuck and Kiwanuka; but they really could upgrade inside. Raji would give them a genuine prescence inside to add to the rotation of Robbins, Cofield and Alford. Either it will take pressure of the Ends or allow Raji (and the other DTs) more opportunities to make plays inside.

Raji's prescence would also allow the LBs more freedom to make plays.

Adding a guy like Raji would make what is already a good defence really nasty.

Personally, I think Raji will be rather high on the Giants' radar next april

Cigaro
12-14-2008, 09:45 AM
Second round. Best defensive tackle available behind Sen'Derrick.

energizerbunny
12-14-2008, 10:41 AM
i'd put him around that 20-32 range right now, unless he has a horrible post season.

onthehoof
12-14-2008, 11:59 AM
I could see the Falcons snapping him up in the late 1st if the elite safeties (Moore, Mays) and Aaron Moore are all gone -- which is a near-certainty. I think Sen'Derrick Marks & Gerald McCoy are better DT prospects but Atlanta desperately needs a 4-3 run-stuffer and those two are more suited to be UT/penetrating DTs.

It seems like everyone is high on Raji at the moment so he may not even last that long...

Crickett
12-14-2008, 12:53 PM
I doubt Raji will make it into the second round.

If Alan Branch could, Raji certainly can.

RaiderNation
12-14-2008, 02:07 PM
I see him as a late 1st early 2nd prospect. I hope Oakland can land him to play NT

JT Jag
12-14-2008, 03:27 PM
If the Jaguars go on a little run here and finish at the bottom end of the top 10, we might look at him if the value at OT is unacceptable.

princefielder28
12-14-2008, 03:36 PM
I think Raji is a Top 10 senior and worth a Top 20 pick; there are some character concerns with him, but when it comes to the football field there are very few DL better than him.

RaiderNation
12-14-2008, 04:02 PM
Off topic question but do you guys think Terrence Taylor is able to play NT in the NFL?

Mr. Stiller
12-14-2008, 04:49 PM
Off topic question but do you guys think Terrence Taylor is able to play NT in the NFL?

Terrance Taylor is best set as a 3-4 NT or 4-3 NT. He's not a passrusher, but he needs to get in shape. If a team can get him in shape and motivated they have a pretty damn dominant 2 Gapper.

Babylon
12-14-2008, 04:52 PM
I think Raji is a Top 10 senior and worth a Top 20 pick; there are some character concerns with him, but when it comes to the football field there are very few DL better than him.

I know he had some academic problems, am i missing something with the character issues?

princefielder28
12-14-2008, 04:54 PM
I know he had some academic problems, am i missing something with the character issues?

I tied in those academic problems into 'character concerns'...probably should've rephrased that but it is something that teams will have to check into.

Mr. Stiller
12-14-2008, 05:02 PM
I tied in those academic problems into 'character concerns'...probably should've rephrased that but it is something that teams will have to check into.

I'd like to know how serious he is about weight control.

draftguru151
12-14-2008, 06:41 PM
The academic issue was a miscommunication between the school and Raji about the number of summer classes he needed to take, doesn't really seem like an issue to me.

I think Raji ends up as a 2nd half of the first round type guy, definitely like him in Miami at NT.

TheGM
12-15-2008, 06:21 AM
I see him as a round two guy. I know he is considered one of the two best interior D-linemen I don't think he has shown the kind of dominance to demand a round one selection. He could move up if a 3-4 team reaches.

bored of education
12-15-2008, 07:59 AM
The academic issue was a miscommunication between the school and Raji about the number of summer classes he needed to take, doesn't really seem like an issue to me.

I think Raji ends up as a 2nd half of the first round type guy, definitely like him in Miami at NT.

Of course you would you homer. How about Mia gets Raji, Sintim and DJ Moore. -_-

ElectricEye
12-15-2008, 11:59 AM
Raji will very likely be drafted in the 17-32 range, probably right around 20. There's too many teams that need a run stuffer not to take him. I think Scott had him pegged perfectly in his latest mock.

Big_Pete
12-15-2008, 07:32 PM
I think the DTs will slip a little due to the number of quality DEs and OLBs in the draft (once the juniors declare). Quality passrushers are usually in much higher demand; plus there is a good OT class.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-15-2008, 10:16 PM
I think the DTs will slip a little due to the number of quality DEs and OLBs in the draft (once the juniors declare). Quality passrushers are usually in much higher demand; plus there is a good OT class.

I actually think the opposite will happen. There will be plenty of pass rusher available throughout the first 40 picks or so, making the rare defensive tackle worth going that early that much more valuable, especially a guy with size as rare as Raji.

Race for the Heisman
12-15-2008, 11:48 PM
I think San Diego is upper limit of where he goes and I doubt he makes it out of the first with Miami and Atlanta, among others, poised to take him.

armageddon
12-16-2008, 12:25 AM
Any way this guy falls to the Rams at 2:02 ? The rams could use a NT in a bad way.

MarioPalmer
12-16-2008, 08:29 AM
I don't know if he is the best DT available, but he certainly is a good one, I also like him to go in the early second to a team that runs a 3-4 that needs a presence up the middle. Chargers anyone? Williams has gotten old fast and Raji could provide a spell for Williams on half the snaps.

The best DT's are ones that will probably stay. DeMarcus Granger and Gerald McCoy. Both with probably end up staying in school. Granger because he was hurt for most of the year and McCoy because he is only a redshirt soph. This is not the year to select a DT, it has all the making of the 2005 DT class. No clear cut winner or winners. Next years will be amazing though. Probably the best since the 2001 class.

Race for the Heisman
12-16-2008, 11:22 AM
I don't know if he is the best DT available, but he certainly is a good one, I also like him to go in the early second to a team that runs a 3-4 that needs a presence up the middle. Chargers anyone? Williams has gotten old fast and Raji could provide a spell for Williams on half the snaps.

The best DT's are ones that will probably stay. DeMarcus Granger and Gerald McCoy. Both with probably end up staying in school. Granger because he was hurt for most of the year and McCoy because he is only a redshirt soph. This is not the year to select a DT, it has all the making of the 2005 DT class. No clear cut winner or winners. [b[Next years will be amazing though. Probably the best since the 2001 class.[/b]

Geno Atkins, Jeff Owens, Ndamukong Suh, DeMarcus Granger, Gerald McCoy, Marvin Austin, Adrian Taylor, Terrance Cody, Ricky Jean-Francois, Brian Price, just to name a few (although same may come out this year). My god.

bergo23
12-16-2008, 01:05 PM
The Bolts are gonna let Igor Olshansky walk, so we are gonna need a 3-4 DE....but if Raji was available in the middle of the first would we take a stab at him? We have bigger needs.....could he play next to Jamal in a 3-4? Like he does with Brace now.

I believe Jamal will make the pro Bowl for a 3rd straight year today, he still has some left in the tank, so maybe we can wait for the 2010 class, which looks to be stacked at 3-4 Nose!!!!