PDA

View Full Version : best 4-3 speedrushers

foozball
12-14-2008, 05:07 PM
I'm asking because my team (Texans) need someone who can rush the passer opposite Mario. It's insane how bad our pass rush is even with Mario. We need someone who can blow by defenders with a quick first step.

Can guys like Everette Brown or Selvie play in a 4-3 and play every down? How would Michael Johnson fit? I know Hardy is a great rusher, but we probably won't touch anyone with character concerns.

Who else is out there?

Mr. Stiller
12-14-2008, 05:10 PM
I'm asking because my team (Texans) need someone who can rush the passer opposite Mario. It's insane how bad our pass rush is even with Mario. We need someone who can blow by defenders with a quick first step.

Can guys like Everette Brown or Selvie play in a 4-3 and play every down? How would Michael Johnson fit? I know Hardy is a great rusher, but we probably won't touch anyone with character concerns.

Who else is out there?

Are the Texans going for the all 1st round Bust line?

Williams is looking like the only good 1st rounder on that line. Houston should grab a guy like Moore(Either one), Curry in round 1 and look for a DE in rounds 2-3 who can hold up on the strongside.. Corey Wootton Would be perfect in that role.

etk
12-14-2008, 05:14 PM

Williams is looking like the only good 1st rounder on that line. Houston should grab a guy like Moore(Either one), Curry in round 1 and look for a DE in rounds 2-3 who can hold up on the strongside.. Corey Wootton Would be perfect in that role.

Okoye made a ton of big plays in that game. Were you watching? I'd hardly call him bust when he's what....21 years old and stepping up in key situations.

Everette Brown and George Selvie are excellent edge rushers. They shouldn't play every down and they definitely don't need to. Look at what Atlanta's doing rotating John Abraham. I think he has 14 sacks or more this year. I think Brown is a guy you use only in passing situations, while Selvie can help against the run a bit. Selvie is undersized but he can outhustle his man and make a lot of plays in pursuit. Both players would be perfect for Houston but you also need a backup who's bigger and better against the run.

foozball
12-14-2008, 05:17 PM
im watching some everette brown highlights...i must say he is fast. he's got a few moves too.

regoob2
12-14-2008, 05:20 PM
Everette Brown is the hands down best imo. Selvie is very good too.

IceKubes
12-14-2008, 05:47 PM

Doesn't have to come in the first round, in fact I might lean toward getting a good safety prospect in round 1, but there is a definite need for another pass rusher or two.

Mr. Stiller
12-14-2008, 05:49 PM
Everette Brown is the hands down best imo. Selvie is very good too.

Both guys are weaksiders... I think they should go for someone strongside who can play every down. I don't see that in Brown/Selvie.

foozball
12-14-2008, 05:57 PM
Both guys are weaksiders... I think they should go for someone strongside who can play every down. I don't see that in Brown/Selvie.

well who's out there

Mr. Stiller
12-14-2008, 06:13 PM
well who's out there

Michael Bennett, Derek Walker, Connor Barwin, Tim Jamison are guys I'd look into...

SuperKevin
12-14-2008, 06:17 PM
Phillip Hunt from Houston is a beast of a situational pass rusher

IceKubes
12-14-2008, 06:18 PM

Rick Smith, the GM, was quoted multiple times last year lamenting how the value wasn't there for them in the draft to go after an undersized pass rusher. It was the reason they brought in Colvin. Mario is as good or better on the strong side, id be surprised if they didn't use a pick in one of the first three rounds on an undersized pass rusher. Getting a strongside guy wouldn't be the end of the world but I don't see it happening.

catcher_0_3
12-14-2008, 06:32 PM
Depending on how high the Texans are, they could make a run for Michael Johnson. In my opinion he has the highest upside of any Defensive End since probably Super Mario. The kid is a freak.

Mr. Stiller
12-14-2008, 06:42 PM
Rick Smith, the GM, was quoted multiple times last year lamenting how the value wasn't there for them in the draft to go after an undersized pass rusher. It was the reason they brought in Colvin. Mario is as good or better on the strong side, id be surprised if they didn't use a pick in one of the first three rounds on an undersized pass rusher. Getting a strongside guy wouldn't be the end of the world but I don't see it happening.

I have no issue with that, I think Williams should be a Strahan on the strongside, if they get a guy across from him like a Greg Hardy or Everette Brown.

regoob2
12-14-2008, 06:43 PM
Both guys are weaksiders... I think they should go for someone strongside who can play every down. I don't see that in Brown/Selvie.He asked who were the best speed rushers.

Mr. Stiller
12-14-2008, 06:51 PM
He asked who were the best speed rushers.

True, but he also said for the Texans, who, already have a premiere weaksider.. normally the faster guys are on the weakside.

If they're thinking about moving Mario to the Strongside more often then it makes more sense.

Race for the Heisman
12-14-2008, 07:07 PM
1. Everette Brown
2. Michael Johnson
3. George Selvie
4. Larry English
5. Connor Barwin

I haven't seen enough of Jerry Hughes to comment on him but he's supposedly more 3-4 OLB anyway.

MaxV
12-14-2008, 07:13 PM
Penn State's Aaron Maybin might enter the draft this season and if he does, he would be among the best 3-4 OLBs in the draft.

GB12
12-14-2008, 07:14 PM
How many teams actually utilize strong and weak sides for DEs on a regular basis?

Mr. Stiller
12-14-2008, 07:20 PM
1. Everette Brown
2. Michael Johnson
3. George Selvie
4. Larry English
5. Connor Barwin

I haven't seen enough of Jerry Hughes to comment on him but he's supposedly more 3-4 OLB anyway.

I think Hughes has more 4-3 Potential than Larry English.

How many teams actually utilize strong and weak sides for DEs on a regular basis?

Not many I guess. But at the same time, some teams do rarely rotate their DE's.

SenorGato
12-14-2008, 10:46 PM
Hardy, Brown, Selvie, and Orakpo...

I'll take them in that order if all are healthy in any D.

keylime_5
12-14-2008, 10:54 PM
I think there would be few better situations than Houston and playing oppostie Mario Williams for Michael Johnson. He needs a situation with an elite rusher opposite him to get the most out of his sheer athleticism in order to get ahead of the curve.

Texas Homer
12-14-2008, 11:41 PM
Orakpo or Johnson.

Orakpo has had some injury issues, but I think he would be worth the risk.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-15-2008, 12:26 AM
I think there would be few better situations than Houston and playing oppostie Mario Williams for Michael Johnson. He needs a situation with an elite rusher opposite him to get the most out of his sheer athleticism in order to get ahead of the curve.

But then, does Houston move Williams back to LE or do they ask a fairly pure pass rusher with mediocre gap control skills to handle that side?

BlueGoldGreen
12-15-2008, 12:29 AM
Orakpo has to be the pick, it makes too much sense... kid is from houston, one of the best pure pass rushers, will be available right where they are picking (15 - 20).

IceKubes
12-15-2008, 12:38 AM
Orakpo has to be the pick, it makes too much sense... kid is from houston, one of the best pure pass rushers, will be available right where they are picking (15 - 20).

Will he be though? I don't see him lasting that long, all its gonna take is one team to fall in love with him. He would be a great fit though.

IceKubes
12-15-2008, 12:41 AM
But then, does Houston move Williams back to LE or do they ask a fairly pure pass rusher with mediocre gap control skills to handle that side?

Anthony Weaver has been getting run on since he has been with the Texans and he offers no pass rush so moving Williams to LE and having a RE that can at least provide a pass rush would be an enormous upgrade. The D tackles need to step up against the run but when your 2nd best pass rusher is Tim Bulman, who is a DE/DT tweener who gets most of his sacks on effort something needs to be done.