PDA

View Full Version : Corey Webster, 5 years-43 million (20 guaranteed)

bearsfan_51
12-15-2008, 01:24 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3770890

Really?

regoob2
12-15-2008, 01:28 PM
I had no idea he was that good.

CC.SD
12-15-2008, 01:30 PM
The Giants are trying to keep their young secondary together for a while so they can grow as a unit. It's a bigger contract than he deserves, but that's how it goes lately. He does make plays that I've seen, and in some especially notable games. :D

D-Unit
12-15-2008, 01:30 PM
$20M guaranteed is not really guaranteed. How much was the signing bonus? That's the only guarantee.

I know Giants fans are happy about it. Personally, I don't notice the guy... then again, it's usally a good thing when you don't notice a CB.

bearsfan_51
12-15-2008, 01:35 PM
Apparently he's really developed since the playoffs last year, but it's suprising to me they would have to guarantee that much. Apparently they felt he would garner more on the open market. I kinda doubt it.

Number 10
12-15-2008, 01:40 PM
Had to do it now or else he would have been long gone in FA. He has been lights out all year, he's given up one TD and is actually starting to catch the ball.

D-Unit
12-15-2008, 01:41 PM
Who are this year's FA corners? Where would Webster stack up?

Number 10
12-15-2008, 01:46 PM
He'd be #2 under Asomugha.

bearsfan_51
12-15-2008, 01:47 PM
There's basically Nnamdi Asomugha and everyone else.

Dunta Robinson and Deangelo Hall (ok maybe not) are both UFA as well. The Bears could also release Nathan Vasher. Not sure about other possible moves.

Deltha O'Neal, Phillip Buchanon, Justin Miller, Eric Green, Bryant McFadden.

Personally I'd take Dunta Robinson over Corey Webster. Scratch that, forgot about his injury history.

regoob2
12-15-2008, 01:51 PM

Dunta Robinson and Deangelo Hall (ok maybe not) are both UFA as well. The Bears could also release Nathan Vasher. Not sure about other possible moves.
What kind of cap hit would we take?

bearsfan_51
12-15-2008, 01:53 PM
By comparison, Chris Gamble was given a 6 year-53 million dollar contract with 23 million in guarantees.

bigbluedefense
12-15-2008, 01:53 PM
worth. every. penny.

I love Jerry Reese.

Number 10
12-15-2008, 01:57 PM
By comparison, Chris Gamble was given a 6 year-53 million dollar contract with 23 million in guarantees.

I would say Gamble and Webster are similar abilty/talent wise.

Geo
12-15-2008, 01:57 PM
That's a LOT though.

Tennessee probably made out like bandits with that extension they signed Finnegan to before the season started, relatively speaking.

If Kelvin Hayden wants anything close to this, I bid him farewell and look forward to a third round compensatory pick. No freaking way imo.

bigbluedefense
12-15-2008, 01:59 PM
I was one of the guys that hated Corey Webster with a passion. But over the past year and a half, the guy just turned it around completely. He's a shutdown corner, and has been great for us.

He gets targeted 5 times a game, qbs have a 30.2 qb rating against him, and he's given up 1 TD all year.

This after taking on Randy Moss 1 on 1 in the SB, shutting down Galloway, doing an honorable job against TO, and outside of 1 play, being lockdown against the Packers (game winning INT btw) in the playoffs.

42 mill is a steal considering he would get much more in the open market. He's better than DHall at this point in time, and better than Robinson, and Id say he's at least on par with Gamble, and he'll get less money then all of them.

He's been lights out.

Number 10
12-15-2008, 01:59 PM
That's a LOT though.

Tennessee probably made out like bandits with that extension they signed Finnegan to before the season started, relatively speaking.

If Kelvin Hayden wants anything close to this, I bid him farewell and look forward to a third round compensatory pick. No freaking way imo.

You should never pay a CB that kind of money in the Cover 2, ever.

The only time I pay a CB big money is when you ask them to man up on an island often.

bearsfan_51
12-15-2008, 02:01 PM
He gets targeted 5 times a game, qbs have a 30.2 qb rating against him, and he's given up 1 TD all year.
Where can one find this statistic? I've always wondered.

He's basically making the same as Gamble, and I'm hard pressed to make the case that he could possibly get more than him on the open market.

Giantsfan1080
12-15-2008, 02:02 PM
Of all the passes thrown at Webster this year only 20% have been completed. which is one of the lowest percentages in the NFL. He also has 24 passes defensed which is #1 in the NFL. Throw in his 3 Int's and that he tackles well then you have the making of a CB that would have had a lot of money thrown at him. Reese made a great deal here.

bigbluedefense
12-15-2008, 02:07 PM
Where can one find this statistic? I've always wondered.

He's basically making the same as Gamble, and I'm hard pressed to make the case that he could possibly get more than him on the open market.

I read it on a local paper article i found online. I found the link through a giant blog website, I believe it was from the local dailynews (NY).

as for finding stats like that for everyone, i have no idea.

Teams always overpay in FA. He'd get more than 42 mill bc someone would get desperate for a CB. Past contracts don't really mean jack in FA, it goes up every year.

bigbluedefense
12-15-2008, 02:10 PM
here's the article BF 51

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2008/12/new_york_giants_webster_has_it.html

its the nj star ledger, not the daily news. my bad for the mistake.

diabsoule
12-15-2008, 02:13 PM

Deltha O'Neal, Phillip Buchanon, Justin Miller, Eric Green, Bryant McFadden.

Personally I'd take Dunta Robinson over Corey Webster. Scratch that, forgot about his injury history.

Jabari Greer is also a FA this year.

bearsfan_51
12-15-2008, 02:15 PM
How is this not NFL thread worthy? The guy is one of the bigger FA available on the market.

On the other hand, the 200th thread of "name your All-Pro team" is ok? Alrighty then.

Number 10
hahaha.....

Number 10
here's the article BF 51

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2008/12/new_york_giants_webster_has_it.html

its the nj star ledger, not the daily news. my bad for the mistake.

Consider the source my man.

Garafolo has screwed up the "unofficial stats" on a few occasions. I think Webster is deserving of the money, but those numbers may not be the best way to approach it.

Ward
12-15-2008, 02:18 PM
How is this not NFL thread worthy? The guy is one of the bigger FA available on the market.

On the other hand, the 200th thread of "name your All-Pro team" is ok? Alrighty then.

A Giants player being re-signed before he hits FA is not national NFL news. 10 year olds making terrible threads about "Nfl Mvp" are fine as long as they are in the right category.

bearsfan_51
12-15-2008, 02:22 PM
A Giants player being re-signed before he hits FA is not national NFL news. 10 year olds making terrible threads about "Nfl Mvp" are fine as long as they are in the right category.
Sigh.....come on Ward. Wield thy ban stick.