PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Need?

Bengals78
12-15-2008, 02:26 PM
I know this should be in the Draft thread but I wasnt sure if I could add a poll.

Personally, I see C as our biggest need but the value isn't there.
So based off of value at the pick, what is our biggest need?

Based off of value and need, I would say either OT or DE/OLB

We need to protect and get to the QB more often.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
12-15-2008, 02:31 PM
I know this should be in the Draft thread but I wasnt sure if I could add a poll.

Personally, I see C as our biggest need but the value isn't there.
So based off of value at the pick, what is our biggest need?

Based off of value and need, I would say either OT or DE/OLB

We need to protect and get to the QB more often.

new coach new staff new oline new lb's new dline newnewnewnewnew lol really i think theres not team morale

Bengals78
12-15-2008, 04:59 PM
new coach new staff new oline new lb's new dline newnewnewnewnew lol really i think theres not team morale

Our defense has morale. It's just hard to show it w/o being healthy and on the field.

Our offense however, without Carson, Willie or since Braham retired for that fact, we havent had any true offensive leader this year. Whitworth came out as a leader but of course then went down with injury. Once we get CP back the offense will play with a certain swagger.

As for new coach/staff, we are too cheap to buy out Marvin. We need to ditch Bratkowski and get Hue Jackson, Ken Anderson or maybe a college coach to bring in.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
12-15-2008, 05:06 PM
Our defense has morale. It's just hard to show it w/o being healthy and on the field.

Our offense however, without Carson, Willie or since Braham retired for that fact, we havent had any true offensive leader this year. Whitworth came out as a leader but of course then went down with injury. Once we get CP back the offense will play with a certain swagger.

As for new coach/staff, we are too cheap to buy out Marvin. We need to ditch Bratkowski and get Hue Jackson, Ken Anderson or maybe a college coach to bring in.

yea i was kinda joking with my post but yea alot of injuries.

but i dont understand why people arent sure about getting rid of lewis he had one winning season all the other seasons were 8-8 or less(going off memory)

Bengals78
12-15-2008, 05:47 PM
You are right about Lewis, but I think when you look at what he had when he first got here (crap) and what happened after '05 (Rudi downhill, Odell gone, Pollack gone, Henry who knows wtf he was thinking and Irons not panning out, Willie leaving, Braham retiring) he has had a lot of raw materials out there and not a lot of time to mold them. Personally I think it is time for him to go, but we wont buy him out.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
12-15-2008, 05:49 PM
You are right about Lewis, but I think when you look at what he had when he first got here (crap) and what happened after '05 (Rudi downhill, Odell gone, Pollack gone, Henry who knows wtf he was thinking and Irons not panning out, Willie leaving, Braham retiring) he has had a lot of raw materials out there and not a lot of time to mold them. Personally I think it is time for him to go, but we wont buy him out.

i personally enjoy the the way you guys are playing (ravens fan)
but i think theres alot of options out there in the Free agency and you will have a nice draft pick so if you do well this offseason things could change

want to trade johnson for mcgahee lol give us a reciever give you some running lol

Aftermath
12-15-2008, 05:58 PM
I would love to look at Aaron Curry at our top 5 spot.

themaninblack
12-15-2008, 06:47 PM
I am on the defensive player bandwagon in the first as well. Curry, Rey-Rey(though hes not my fave), or Orakpo would be nice. Imagine Curry and Rivers in the same LB corp. Not necessarily a need but we are still a few players away from being a better than average defensive unit.

IMO, our biggest needs are probably C and RT. We could definitely use another RB to complement Benson and serve as an insurance policy/replacement. I would love to see a draft similar to this:

1. Orakpo/Rey/Curry
2. Mack/Caldwell/James Davis/Loadholt
3. Jeremiah Johnson/Ringer.

Something like that would work for me. Ringer does worry me with the amount of carries he's had during his career but I love his attitude and the way he runs. Could sub out Loadholt for another RT(none really come to mind at the moment).

Geo
12-15-2008, 07:59 PM
I've had this idea in my head the last few weeks: perhaps the Bengals would be interested in Edgerrin James this offseason?

He would be an excellent pass protector for Carson Palmer, still a viable short-yardage receiving option, and would be an excellent mentor to a young back. Obviously he's not very explosive at all anymore, but the AFC North is probably geared more towards power running anyways.

How much Edge would want to play in Cincy is key, although if he gets a chance to start and/or get some carries to move up the all-time rushing list some more, I think he would be interested this summer. It's all but given the Cardinals will cut him, given his current contract.

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him back in Indy, but I thought if he's available, why not Cincy for a little more money? Although Cedric Benson has been something of a pleasant surprise, so maybe he sticks around instead. Wouldn't make sense to have Edge, Benson, and Perry on the roster at once, at most two of those guys would be there.

Bengals78
12-15-2008, 09:43 PM
I wouldnt mind Edge coming here. No offense meant to the Cards but they aren't a very good run blocking team and if we draft well we could be.

PalmerToCJ
12-16-2008, 12:37 AM
I think we all agree that Center is our biggest need but like you said that's not a 1st round pick...

OT's and DE's always have big value early on and they get paid well as FA's also. I'm honestly content with our defense, just need someone to get a pass rush going on. Grab a center to block somebody, let Collins grow. We've got enough pieces. Just need to get the line stable and working, when the line actually blocks we will be able to run AND pass the ball. Barry Sanders couldn't find holes in this line half the games.

If we draft Beanie Wells I will single handily try to start a riot in downtown (hey, it's been done before lol). I know OSU fans that don't even want him (given where we're picking anyway).

Gert T
12-17-2008, 02:12 PM
I think that Jeremiah Johnson will be gone long before the third round.

I guess we will know soon where we pick. #2 at the highest, #7 at the lowest.

I would not be happy with Beanie Wells, but if we pick #7 and he is best available........

hobbes2053
12-17-2008, 06:05 PM
Please for the love of god, no Beanie. If he is the best available when we pick, we still shouldn't take him. And all that's coming from an OSU fan.

themaninblack
12-17-2008, 06:26 PM
I think that Jeremiah Johnson will be gone long before the third round.

It's pure speculation at this point. alot of that is interchangeable.

PalmerToCJ
12-19-2008, 06:49 PM
I'm still not really sure what I would do with the 1st rounder, given who's there anyway. Smith is the only no brainer to me. I love that Orakpo can get to the passer but does he fit our defense? Collins seems to have very solid potential at LT, is a RT worth a top 5 pick? Curry or Maualuga would be nice but not pressing needs. Beanie Wells would just be awful, that's about all I'm sure of.

A lot depends on what we do at RT.

hobbes2053
12-19-2008, 06:53 PM
Obviously, if Smith is there, we must take him. If he isn't available and Orakpo is, I think we should take him.. another obvious point. Otherwise, it's all up in the air in my eyes. Agreed that Beanie would be completely awful and wrong for us.

rickscott
12-20-2008, 04:12 PM
From the limited time we've seen him, I can't say for sure that Collins is going to do a great job protecting Carson. We have a chance to get a top OT to protect our 140 million dollar man and we instead are thinking we may be able to get by with the 4th rder we picked up last year? I'm not willing to take that chance. Collins has looked OK, but he HAS had his troubles and that is with the Bengals offense running 3 and 5 step drops in the passing game. We can't afford to take that chance.

Bengals78
12-20-2008, 05:45 PM
I say Collins to RT and Draft Smith if he is there

PalmerToCJ
12-20-2008, 07:22 PM
Part of my basis for being content with Collins is that along with his production this year, he was likely to be a high pick had he stayed for his senior year. If Collins can take RT then by all means I'm for it.

Either way we're going to have an inexperienced guy blocking for Carson on his blindside which is concerning, either way I'd rather have them than Levi. Two new tackles, new center and the offense could suddenly be back to around where it should perform (including firing Brat and PLEASE re-sign/franchise TJ).

themaninblack
12-20-2008, 10:53 PM
IDK about Collins at RT but if he can play it then I would be all for an OT in the first if we let Stacey walk. Some didn't think he could play LT in the NFL but it definitely looks like he can and with some more experience he will get even better.

bengalnut44
12-22-2008, 10:47 PM
i think center is our biggest need but we should take a tackle first, i say we trade down to the middle of round one giving us another 2nd round pick and at that spot we should still be able to nab a talented rt to replace andrews, we get a center with our first 2nd round pick, hopefully mack, and then we go defense for the majority of the rest of the draft, we'll have a solid oline and even if levi goes down or the new rt doesnt pan out we got collins waiting in the wings

lost33cause
12-26-2008, 07:36 AM
I think we'll be picking in the #5 spot this year after the final game and I highly doubt there's anyone that would be worth another team trading up for. We'll probably pick the top Tackle availible.

rickscott
12-26-2008, 02:56 PM
I know we can't take Center at #5, but I wouldn't be upset if they traded down some and actually did select a Center in Rd 1 if they got additional picks. An OT is needed and a passrushing DE and a MLB are all primary needs. A 4th-5th rd RB is needed too. I want the best or one of the top 2 Centers; a guy that they see as future All-Pro material, not some project that can eventually step in and contend for a starters spot at Center. We are talking about protecting our franchise and developing a quality running game between the tackles. Look at what a Kevin Mawai ? has done for whoveever he has played for. A top choice here can be key to our future.

Bengals78
12-26-2008, 04:16 PM
Mawae will go down as one of the best Centers of all time. He seems to be the leader wherever he goes and the run game as well as overall line play just goes up.

toonsterwu
12-26-2008, 04:18 PM
Biggest need for you guys, IMO, is a RB. That said, the biggest need isn't the top draft need. I don't think RB should be your top draft need, although it wouldn't surprise me if that was the route. I'm not sold you guys go OL, but it's definitely a consideration.

I wouldn't be surprised, though, if you went back to USC for another LB.

Bengalsrocket
12-26-2008, 04:28 PM
Biggest need for you guys, IMO, is a RB. That said, the biggest need isn't the top draft need. I don't think RB should be your top draft need, although it wouldn't surprise me if that was the route. I'm not sold you guys go OL, but it's definitely a consideration.

I wouldn't be surprised, though, if you went back to USC for another LB.

No one here would disagree that we need a RB. I think every Bengals would disagree that it is our biggest need, though. Our line cannot really block for us right now due to lack of skill / injuries.

Assuming we lose Stacy Andrews (his injury was possibly career ending, and even if he does come back from it - he's a FA next year), we're happy with Andrew Whitworth and Bobbie Williams. Other than that, our line is pretty terrible. Anthony Collins is inexperienced, Levi Jones is always injured and Eric Ghaciuc is undersized. With 3 of our 5 offensive linemen unable to produce due to whatever reason then that means we're not going to be able to run the ball regardless of who has it in their hands.

I think if we want to just talk about the running game, then the positions that will give us the greatest production by upgrading, in order are:

Center
Running Back
Right Tackle
Left Tackle (depending on who's there next year)

toonsterwu
12-26-2008, 04:34 PM
I guess I'm viewing need in a different prism than you. You at least have options on the OL, as Collins always had raw talent. Comparatively, there isn't really a RB there that you would trust, with Benson as a FA. In terms of the draft, you can find that interior OL talent later. If there's an OT that they fall in love with, then sure, I could see them popping that and rearranging the OL a bit.

I do think Rey should be a strong consideration. I think he'd help shore up that run D tremendously and offer a leader on that defense. I think adding a DE is more important than LB ... but I'm not sure the contracts that you have will allow you to justify a DE in round 1.