PDA

View Full Version : What could have been...

Bengals78
12-15-2008, 05:49 PM
Posting in the other threads, I just realized if not for freak injuries and drugs we could have one of the best young LB cores in the league.

Pollack - Thurman - Rivers

That would have been amazing. But oh well whats done is done. Sad to see it go that way. The most irritating part of it all, is that it isnt like the guys werent good, just bad things happened.

themaninblack
12-15-2008, 06:37 PM
Sucks that we lost two guys who could have been a nice foundation to build this defense on. I think were starting to get there as far as the D is concerned with personnel but that set us back quite a bit.

BengalMedic
12-16-2008, 07:54 AM
And there's the rub with all of this. The loss of top draft picks like this when your team philosophy is to build through the draft KILLS the development of a team and is instrumental in why this defense is still in rebuilding mode.

Instead of having these guys contributing, here we are still talking about getting possibly two LB's in the upcoming draft when those picks could be used to addressed other needs of the team. If we didn't have to address LB, think of how those picks could be utilized...

Such is life in the NFL huh ??

hobbes2053
12-16-2008, 09:44 PM
I think this speaks to this past offseason's hiring of Zimmer. He demands certain things of the players and brings and attitude that was not at all present before. You can easily tell the difference just by watching the way the defense plays. As all of us have seen, if our offense was halfway decent, we wouldn't have such a bad record because our defense has played well, which pretty much all comes back to the attitude that Zim brought in with him.

It is sad to think about "what could have been" with Pollack, Thurman, and now Rivers, but it's all irrelevant. We seem to have that same mentality/philosophy and I can see it paying off in the near future, especially with Zimmer at HDC. There are only good things to come.

Hammy
12-17-2008, 06:13 AM
Had Pollack and Thurman still been Bengals, however, Keith Rivers would probably not have been drafted. They would have went with a Brandon Albert ot Jeff Otah instead.

BengalMedic
12-17-2008, 07:10 AM
I was thinking the same thing about the Rivers pick and agree for the most part that they may have indeed gone in a different direction. All hindsight at this point... What if Weathersby hadn't wrecked his car ?? Would JJ be here ?? I hate the "what if" game !!!