PDA

View Full Version : Best Senior QB?

Buc Baller12
12-16-2008, 01:17 AM
In your opinion who do you think the best senior QB is going into the draft? Curtis Painter, Cullen Harper, Hunter Cantwell? I think Painter could make a solid pro QB he has all the physical tools you look for in the prototypical QB. I think his release is as fast as Tony Romo. Coming into this year I thought he could solidify his stock into the first round. Obviously his draft stock is falling because of his poor season. However his decision making and accuracy needs to improve. Don't know too much about Hunter cantwell of Louisville?

CashmoneyDrew
12-16-2008, 01:20 AM
Probably Nathan Brown or Rhett Bomar. I wouldn't touch either of them before mid-third round though.

BigBanger
12-16-2008, 01:20 AM
Rudy Carpenter.

No joke. He's the one of the only seniors with any kind of NFL potential, and I strongly doubt he's anything more than a career backup and life long screw up.

And, Bohmar has some nice tools and could be something in 5 years.

ThatThereCarGoin200mph
12-16-2008, 01:21 AM
there are no good senior qb's worthy of being on your respective team period

Turtlepower
12-16-2008, 01:24 AM
Rudy Carpenter.

No joke. He's the one of the only seniors with any kind of NFL potential, and I strongly doubt he's anything more than a career backup and life long screw up.

And, Bohmar has some nice tools and could be something in 5 years.

No, I'm an ASU fan and Rudy Carpenter sucks soooooo much. He has a weak delivery, a poor deep ball, a slow motion and has very poor field vision. Any team that drafts him has no future with this kid.

Also, the week before we played our last game of the season against Arizona for a chance to salvage the season and make a bowl game, he gets kicked out of a high school girl's basketball game... He is a douche.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-16-2008, 02:06 AM
I'm sort of partial to Willie Tuitama. I don't expect him to go very early, but he's looked pretty good at Arizona at moments. He got knocked around by USC this season, but that offensive line hasn't been good during his entire stint with the Wildcats.

Rhett Bomar is an interesting idea. I could see him being a decent player. I honestly would give Chase Daniel a look in the way later rounds. Nathan Brown looked pretty Grossman-ish in what I've seen of him. Even Graham Harrell is intriguing.

Bomar is probably the most talented, but I'm not sure who I like the best yet.

Halsey
12-16-2008, 03:03 AM
Casey Dick. And it's not even close.

captainjack27
12-16-2008, 03:05 AM
Casey Dick. And it's not even close.

Joking right?

diabsoule
12-16-2008, 03:13 AM
Right now I'd have to say Rhett Bomar although this class is underwhelming to say the least. Although, I still like the potential Chase Daniel shows, I don't know why.

illmatic74
12-16-2008, 03:16 AM
Joking right? He is http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27817

neko4
12-16-2008, 05:16 AM
Right now I'd have to say Rhett Bomar although this class is underwhelming to say the least. Although, I still like the potential Chase Daniel shows, I don't know why.
Bomar and Daniel are my top 2. Cullen Harper was supposed to be my #1 senior QB, but he seemed to follow the path of past Clemson QBs and screwed up his senior year.

I like Nathan Brown too.

Brent
12-16-2008, 09:55 AM
he gets kicked out of a high school girl's basketball game
Was he trolling for ass or something? Why would he be at a HS girl's basketball game?

princefielder28
12-16-2008, 09:58 AM
1. Nathan Brown
2. Graham Harrell
3. Chase Daniel

bored of education
12-16-2008, 10:33 AM
I'm sort of partial to Willie Tuitama. I don't expect him to go very early, but he's looked pretty good at Arizona at moments. He got knocked around by USC this season, but that offensive line hasn't been good during his entire stint with the Wildcats.

Rhett Bomar is an interesting idea. I could see him being a decent player. I honestly would give Chase Daniel a look in the way later rounds. Nathan Brown looked pretty Grossman-ish in what I've seen of him. Even Graham Harrell is intriguing.

Bomar is probably the most talented, but I'm not sure who I like the best yet.

Tooty is a sleeper Qb of mine. Has alot of talent and I would take a flyer on him late in the draft.

Turtlepower
12-16-2008, 10:50 AM
Was he trolling for ass or something? Why would he be at a HS girl's basketball game?

His girlfriend's sister was at the game and he decided to start yelling at the refs. Then he was kicked out.

Also, Tuitama played in a very friendly offense with a lot of offensive talent. He isn't that great.

bored of education
12-16-2008, 12:15 PM
His girlfriend's sister was at the game and he decided to start yelling at the refs. Then he was kicked out.

Also, Tuitama played in a very friendly offense with a lot of offensive talent. He isn't that great.

Friendly like boezo friendly?

BBIB
12-16-2008, 01:33 PM
Everyone knows Stafford is coming out but how can more than one underclassmen not declare with a Senior Class this week?

None of these guys are worthy of a pick in the 1st two rounds, arguably on the 1st day honestly.

Hell I'd rather draft Pat White to run the Wildcat than waste a pick on Curtis Painter or Cullen Harper. (And I honestly I don't think he could do a worse job than those guys at QB)

nyqua
12-16-2008, 01:44 PM
Rhett Bomar. He will be the QB steal of the draft.

Babylon
12-16-2008, 02:02 PM
Rhett Bomar. He will be the QB steal of the draft.

I would agree, the only thing holding him back is probably himself. Reminds me of a Billy Joe Hobert who was a real good QB for the Huskies back in the Don James era. Like Bomar he took money for work that wasnt done.

If you think about where Bomar could be had he stayed at OU we might be talking about him in the same sentence as a Stafford or a Bradford (probably somewhere in between). He was a top 5 player out of highschool and has all the physical ability you'd want in a pro QB. We'll have to see if he has the mental capacity.

draftguru151
12-16-2008, 02:03 PM
I don't really see any of the senior's as more than a mid/late round development guy (though I haven't seeen Bomar or Brown play) but Chris Crane from BC is a guy with all the tools and really improved throughout the season. I'd probably still take a chance on Cullen Harper too.

holt_bruce81
12-16-2008, 02:56 PM
Chase Patton will be the best Senior Quarterback taken in this draft. I haven't really seen Rhett Bomar play but everyone seems to be high on him. From what I've seen, Cantwell could be good as well.

princefielder28
12-16-2008, 02:59 PM
Chase Patton will be the best Senior Quarterback taken in this draft. I haven't really seen Rhett Bomar play but everyone seems to be high on him. From what I've seen, Cantwell could be good as well.

Cantwell's throwing mechanics are going to need a major overhaul if he is going to be successful in the NFL.

SKim172
12-16-2008, 03:17 PM
Don't know too much about Hunter cantwell of Louisville?

He's a smart, talented QB. Makes good reads and smart decisions. Accurate thrower. Footwork is good. Played well despite a poor supporting cast. His greatest strength is his beast of an arm. Seriously, he may have the strongest arm of the entire senior class.

Unfortunately, I don't think he's fated for success in the NFL. He threw 16 picks this season, matching his TD total. And the reason is his incredibly slow windup. He has a slow and very obvious throwing motion. He starts out with the ball at his chest, then cocks back the ball in an underhanded swinging motion before finally bringing it forward. Slow enough for linemen to get their hands up to bat it down and for DBs to get into position. And if he gets hit hard in the middle of cocking his arm back, there's a serious fumble possibility.

Which leads to his other major issue: he can't sense pressure. At all. Blitzing defenses can absolutely tee off on the guy - Va Tech (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKd54zCh5C8), for example. He can move when he needs to, but he never realizes he should until too late.

Those kind of things, I don't think are fixable. Sensing pressure is, at some level, instinctive. And tampering with the throwing motion could diminish his biggest positive, the arm strength.

I think he'll be drafted by some team with a bad scouting department that overvalues his arm strength. He may even wind up starting, if the team's bad enough - he's certainly got great strengths. But his best hope is to end up on a team with a good O-line, an established starter, and an excellent QBs coach where he can sit and watch for a few seasons.

I'd say he's about a fourth or fifth rounder, who might go earlier if he performs well in workouts and some team falls in love with his arm.

ManOverboard
12-16-2008, 04:30 PM
http://rutgers.pictorialbook.com/photos/img4.jpg

"He's over there, I think I see Rhett Bomar in the third row."

SKim172
12-16-2008, 05:18 PM
"You see where I overthrew the ball way into the stands? That's Curtis Painter."

Cigaro
12-16-2008, 05:28 PM
Cullen Harper. With the shoulder injury not nagging as much, and better coaching, he played well down the stretch. Behind him, John Parker Wilson.

OaklandRaider56
12-16-2008, 09:55 PM
John Parker Wilson, he doesn't have the great physical skills but good intangables and he manages the game well.

12-16-2008, 10:10 PM
There's probably only a very short list with any potential to start some time down the line and Bomar is definitely one of them. Besides him there's not much else to look forward to here unless you wanna take a few fliers on some guys (Harrell, Daniel, Harper).

12-16-2008, 10:18 PM
I forgot Drew Willy, he deserves a mention.

princefielder28
12-17-2008, 02:30 PM
John Parker Wilson, he doesn't have the great physical skills but good intangables and he manages the game well.

John Parker Wilson is a poor man's Brodie Croyle; that's not a compliment

illmatic74
12-17-2008, 02:40 PM
John Parker Wilson is a poor man's Brodie Croyle; that's not a complimentAlso you never want to take a QB who was a game manager in college.

jnew76
12-17-2008, 03:08 PM
1. Mike Reilly - QB - Central Washington - I think he is the best Senior QB by a wide margin. He has all the tools, and is very accurate. Quick release and throws the ball well on the run. Good pocket presence and feet. Only senior with the chance to go first day IMO.

2. Billy Malone - QB - Abilene Christian - Best arm of any of the senior QB's IMO. Too old to be drafted early (26), but he has as good or better talent than any of the other senior QB's.

3. Graham Harrell - QB - Texas Tech - I have seen more from Harrell than any previous Tech QB, and his arm strength is much better than people give him credit for. Love him in the 4th-5th round. I think he could make a team very happy in the draft.

4. Chase Patton - QB - Missouri - He has the most prototypical size/build/arm in the draft. He looks the part of an NFL signal caller, just has not had a chance to prove anything on the field. Maybe the next Matt Cassell. Maybe a future dentist. But could warrant a 7th rounder.

5. Cullen Harper - QB - Clemson - He has the ability to rise up my board, but would have to have a fantastic offseason after throwing his coach under the bus. Needs to show maturity and that he is fully recovered from the shoulder issues.

6. Rhett Bomar - QB - He would be ranked higher, but I still have not seen the maturity it takes to be an NFL signal caller. I have been told by people I trust at Oklahoma that he is limited mentally and will never be able to handle an NFL offense.

Sleepers -

Chris Pizzotti -Harvard - Has enough physical tools to get a look.

Mike Teel - Rutgers - Showed flashes throughout career, but needs to be more consistent to get a look.

David Johnson - Tulsa - Has a better arm and more NFL tools than Paul Smith before him. Could get a look.

LonghornsLegend
12-17-2008, 11:59 PM
I think it's going to surprise alot of people but I think Bomar is going to be the 1st senior QB drafted after his workouts during the off-season.

grushcow
12-18-2008, 12:14 AM
Cantwell's throwing mechanics are going to need a major overhaul if he is going to be successful in the NFL.

agreed, hes the only one I see turning into anything, im high on Teel aswell

SKim172
12-18-2008, 12:46 AM
You're high on something, that's for certain.

I'm an RU fan, and I've supported Teel even when he was sucking. But the guy is Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Maybe it's the phases of the moon. Or the alignments of the planets. If you told me Teel was actually two identical twins, one of whom is awake in summer, but slumbers as the other one roams the moors in the cold winter months, and the summer one sucks as a QB, I might believe you. He has a sister who looks a lot like him - maybe she was covering his shift the first six games of the season. I've never seen a guy of such two extremes. His success in the NFL may be controlled by dark forces unknown to the limits of human science.

So yeah, I'll root for Teel to do well. But if he gets cut the first minicamp, I wouldn't be surprised. If he ends up winning Rookie of the Year, I wouldn't be surprised either.

Iamcanadian
12-18-2008, 11:03 AM
Bomar is the only senior QB that has an opportunity to go top 100. The rest of the seniors QB's are a poor lot although Cullen Harper could possibly recover in the post season if he's sensational. Nathan Brown is a good future developmental QB who might be something way down the line. I wouldn't give you 10 cents for the chances of any other senior QB in this year's draft.

Larry121283
12-18-2008, 03:08 PM
Honestly, Rhett Bomer probably. That isn't saying much, as I don't think he is that great. 2:1 TD:INT ratio with a 56% comp% in FCS isn't something I want in a QB, I'll be honest.

Nathan Brown, not the biggest fan, tbh. Saw him three times this year and while his numbers were on-point, I don't see NFL player...just me though, it seems. Awesome small school college QB, but NFL? Not sure. Saw him v. Texas St., Nicholls, and McNeese as, he has been getting a lot of hype...I just see him as a mid-late round kid, maybe. I don't know...*shrugs*

Two guys I think are flying way under the radar, but still aren't that great are Drew Willy and Mike Teel. NFL teams still always want to get that prototype drop back passer with the big arm, and Teel has the make up, but not been consistent. Drew Willy has a lot to like.

I'd probably take Willy and Teel over most of the senior QBs this year. Honestly, there just aren't any good ones.

Cullen Harper looks the part, but isn't. Hunter Cantwell has gotten hype for a few seasons now, but not a fan. Bad mechanics. Curtis Painter...meh. Tom Brandstater...meh. Chase Daniel, Graham Harrell...awesome collegiates, little to no NFL upside...although I'd give Daniel a chance.

The kid from Harvard would probably get a look from me too. But again, we are talking about kids that really...7th round / undrafted...

meh to the senior class.

Mr. Stiller
12-18-2008, 03:14 PM
Graham Harrell is my #1... I think he's going to be the first "System QB" to really make it in the NFL.

PACKmanN
12-18-2008, 03:17 PM
Cullen Harper.

no targets+no o-line+injury= no production, give the guy 2-3 years to learn and he will be a solid starter in the league.