PDA

View Full Version : any patrick willis type lb this year?

katnip
12-16-2008, 03:04 PM
I can't watch much college ball (job)... but I don't see any1 who could make as big a impact as willis did last year... is there?

ManOverboard
12-16-2008, 03:05 PM
No way....

holt_bruce81
12-16-2008, 03:06 PM
Aaron Curry, a better version of P-Willie.

Babylon
12-16-2008, 03:14 PM
I don't think anyone will touch Willis's 40 time but some are going to be better in coverage. This years crop is very deep and they all have things they do very well.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-16-2008, 03:43 PM
No one will have that combination of a physical specimen and play to back it up but Aaron Curry to me is just as impressive of a football player but lacks those physical attributes Willis has. Curry though to me in this draft is unquestionably top 10 talent, but I feel he will be drafted in the 12-17 range.

regoob2
12-16-2008, 04:18 PM
You never know who will have that kind of impact but no one is on his level imo, even Curry.

Yatta!
12-16-2008, 04:23 PM
Curry is a great player but he's a little overrated. He is not the prospect that Hawk or Willis were yet and I doubt that he will be on that level.

regoob2
12-16-2008, 04:25 PM
Curry is a great player but he's a little overrated. He is not the prospect that Hawk or Willis were yet and I doubt that he will be on that level.
I'd be suprised if he went top 8.

keylime_5
12-16-2008, 04:31 PM
I'd be suprised if he went top 8.

Curry will go somewhere between picks 5 and 10 most likely. Very few weaknesses in his game and he's so versatile that lots of teams will have him very high on their draft board. Personally I think Cleveland will probably have him either #1 or #2 on their board with maybe Crabtree or Orakpo higher.

Babylon
12-16-2008, 04:32 PM

It's the season to be overrated so i wouldn't worry about that. I'm curious to see how Curry fares at the combine as far as size and speed goes. Right now i'd be happy if he were the next Lance Briggs, to me that would be the high end of his upside.

JaxJag_1
12-16-2008, 05:17 PM
Aaron Curry

wonderbredd24
12-16-2008, 05:20 PM
I think Aaron Curry can because if he goes to a 3-4 team, hopefully Cleveland, he might slide into the ILB spot have the chance to be all over the field the way Willis has been.

God knows the Browns desperately need someone like Curry next to D'Qwell Jackson

Emphasis on the word can though, because Patrick Willis was arguably the best ILB in the NFL as a rookie

sbh15
12-16-2008, 05:22 PM
Aaron Curry

He isn't the kind of freak that Pat is. No linebackers like that this year, but Curry is still top notch.

SuperKevin
12-16-2008, 06:36 PM
Curry is more along the lines of Demeco Ryans in my book but then again I thought Ryans should have gone 15 spots higher than he did

jnew76
12-16-2008, 07:32 PM
I think Weatherspoons speed will rival Willis (if he comes out), but he does not carry the same amount of weight nor will he play the same position. Curry is the closest you are going to get, but I think Willis is a special player that Curry is just a notch below.

D-Unit
12-16-2008, 07:35 PM
I can't watch much college ball (job)... but I don't see any1 who could make as big a impact as willis did last year... is there?

Yeah, his name is Frantz Joseph from Florida Atlantic University.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-16-2008, 08:13 PM
Willis is the best and more powerful tackler I think I've ever seen enter a draft. We knew he was going to be a tackling machine and he's been making plays in coverage this year, but I think a guy like Aaron Curry could be a similar monster in the league. What to expect from Curry is a bit hard to project, because he's a SLB in a normal 4-3 offense and probably a MLB in a Cover 2 defense and those two positions will really dictate where his impact will be.

He's an excellent linebacker though.

Babylon
12-16-2008, 09:05 PM
Willis is the best and more powerful tackler I think I've ever seen enter a draft. We knew he was going to be a tackling machine and he's been making plays in coverage this year, but I think a guy like Aaron Curry could be a similar monster in the league. What to expect from Curry is a bit hard to project, because he's a SLB in a normal 4-3 offense and probably a MLB in a Cover 2 defense and those two positions will really dictate where his impact will be.

He's an excellent linebacker though.

Dick Butkus, Tommy Nobis, Harry Carson, Lawrence Taylor, Brian Urlacher, Ray Lewis, take your pick.

Larry
12-17-2008, 12:20 AM
He's no Patrick Willis but you could start Ray Maualuga from day one on any base defense.

RaiderNation
12-17-2008, 12:23 AM
Curry, Maualuga or Spikes could have that kind of impact. If I have to pick one of them Id go Rey

holt_bruce81
12-17-2008, 12:25 AM
Aaron Curry and Sean Weatherspoon

The two best Linebackers in the 2009 draft? (if Weatherspoon declares)

CantStopGregJones
12-17-2008, 01:22 AM
4 best linebackers in the entire draft:

1. Eric Norwood OLB
2. Brandon Spikes ILB
3. Sergio Kindle OLB
4. Aaron Curry OLB

Texas Homer
12-17-2008, 01:23 AM
Rey Maualuga.

I'd have no problem if the Texans decided to take him.

Texas Homer
12-17-2008, 01:26 AM

1. Eric Norwood OLB
2. Brandon Spikes ILB
3. Sergio Kindle OLB
4. Aaron Curry OLB

I love Spikes and Kindle as well. I'm still holding out hope Kindle stays another year. Kindle needs to refine his skills and fill out his frame more before he is NFL ready. He is a BEAST though.

Spikes is BEAST as well. He is a LB version of Ed Reed. Spikes always seems like he is in the right place at the right time. He may not have huge size, but he also hits like a truck.

Mr. Stiller
12-17-2008, 01:57 AM
I'm going to get flamed but... I really still don't think Willis is a great 34 LB. He could be a better version of Ray Lewis in a 4-3, but I think he's better set being able to freely move and attack the LOS than trying to shed blockers.

Which is why I didn't think his rookie season was all that special. That said, I don't think anyone tops his physical attributes, or toolset in a 4-3, but for a 3-4, I definitely think there may be better prospects than Willis was, as far as tools are concerned.

Habibi
12-17-2008, 02:01 AM
I don't think anyone will touch Willis's 40 time but some are going to be better in coverage. This years crop is very deep and they all have things they do very well.

Willis was and still is extremely underrated in coverage. He leads the 49er team and all NFL LBs in PDs.

As for the original question, Aaron Curry comes close. But the edge goes to Willis since he played in a much more demanding conference.

Babylon
12-17-2008, 12:46 PM

1. Eric Norwood OLB
2. Brandon Spikes ILB
3. Sergio Kindle OLB
4. Aaron Curry OLB

I'd have;

1. Curry
2. Herzlich
3. Laurinaitis
4. Spikes
5. Cushing

Menardo75
12-17-2008, 01:58 PM
There is only one Patrick Willis end of story.

dhp318
12-17-2008, 02:05 PM
I'm going to get flamed but... I really still don't think Willis is a great 34 LB. He could be a better version of Ray Lewis in a 4-3, but I think he's better set being able to freely move and attack the LOS than trying to shed blockers.

Which is why I didn't think his rookie season was all that special. That said, I don't think anyone tops his physical attributes, or toolset in a 4-3, but for a 3-4, I definitely think there may be better prospects than Willis was, as far as tools are concerned.

I think he could be even better in a 4-3, but he's still an amazing LBer even in a 3-4.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-17-2008, 02:07 PM
To be fair, the days of a 3-4 in San Francisco are over and I don't think they're coming back anytime soon.

YAYareaRB
So in the 4-3 he'd get 200+ tackles or what?

Menardo75

I forgot 220+ tackles happens every year.

Mr. Stiller
12-17-2008, 04:52 PM
I forgot 220+ tackles happens every year.

You're right. I had a late night last night and completely forgot the only basis for a MLB's play is tackles.

Because his ability to attack the line, move sideline-to-sideline more freely.

Not to mention His coverage is improving by leaps and bounds.

Menardo75
12-17-2008, 07:00 PM
You're right. I had a late night last night and completely forgot the only basis for a MLB's play is tackles.

Because his ability to attack the line, move sideline-to-sideline more freely.

Not to mention His coverage is improving by leaps and bounds.

Weird he seems to do all of that just fine.

Mr. Stiller
12-18-2008, 11:46 AM
Weird he seems to do all of that just fine.

I know and it's crazier that he would do that, probably at a better and more effective level in a 4-3.

Yes I think he's that good.

CantStopGregJones
12-18-2008, 01:39 PM
Its a crime how few people give Eric Norwood his due credit. Maybe he'll never be Patrick Willis, but he'll be the best LB in this years draft.

Mr. Stiller
12-18-2008, 01:58 PM
Its a crime how few people give Eric Norwood his due credit. Maybe he'll never be Patrick Willis, but he'll be the best LB in this years draft.

Eric Norwood is a hell of a player, but thats a heck of an assertation this early.

Borat
12-18-2008, 02:26 PM
To be fair, the days of a 3-4 in San Francisco are over and I don't think they're coming back anytime soon.

This is correct ... and I think Willis will be even better in a 4-3.

gsorace
12-18-2008, 02:39 PM
David Harris had a better rookie season that Patrick Willis.

Larry121283
12-18-2008, 02:48 PM
I don't think anyone is Patrick Willis, but Aaron Curry is about as safe a linebacker pick as you'll find. I don't think Curry has star power or anything, but just a very good, steady, consistent stack-and-shed linebacker that will probably be a 'SAM backer in the NFL.

Saw him versus Miami this year live and in person, and while he wasn't an impact player, he did most everything right. He and Clint Sintim were two of the better defenders I watched this season and neither had an amazing game. Same can be said for Brandon Spikes.

Borat
12-18-2008, 03:02 PM
David Harris had a better rookie season that Patrick Willis.

How so?

David Harris:
Tackles: 126 (90 solo)
Sacks: 5
Forced Fumbles: 2
Passes Defended: 3

Patrick Willis:
Tackles: 174 (90 solo)
Sacks: 4
Passes Defended: 5

Don't get me wrong, I like David Harris a lot. But he didn't have a better year than Willis.

Mr. Stiller
12-18-2008, 03:02 PM
This is correct ... and I think Willis will be even better in a 4-3.

Which is what I have been saying this entire thread.

goonies07
12-18-2008, 11:50 PM
How so?

David Harris:
Tackles: 126 (90 solo)
Sacks: 5
Passes Defended: 3

Patrick Willis:
Tackles: 174 (90 solo)
Sacks: 4
Passes Defended: 5

Don't get me wrong, I like David Harris a lot. But he didn't have a better year than Willis.

willis did have the better year, but you gotta take into account that harris wasn't starting until about 8 games in, when vilma got injured and missed the rest of the season. and even then DH still ended up with 120+ tackles, and the same total of solo tackles as p-will.

i still find willis the superior player, but i love david harris