PDA

View Full Version : Favorite CB Prospect (Other than Jenkins or Davis)

coordinator0
12-16-2008, 04:39 PM
I have heard many different opinions on who is the best cornerback prospect behind Malcolm Jenkins and Vontae Davis. There have been names mentioned anywhere from Alphonso Smith to Trevard Lindley, and I was just wondering who you guys liked. The reason that I am starting this thread is because my favorite team, the Baltimore Ravens, is likely looking for a cornerback in the draft. Reasons why you like the prospect would be much appreciated.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say who I liked. Darius Butler is my favorite of the rest, he seems to have the best combination of physical tools/intangibles.

diabsoule
12-16-2008, 04:41 PM
Darius Butler, Mike Mickens, and Alphonso Smith are all top notch in my eyes.

DoWnThEfiElD
12-16-2008, 04:43 PM
Mickens could turn out to be somewhat of a good value considering his injury took away from some of his season.

sbh15
12-16-2008, 04:45 PM
I think Alphonso Smith could be another top 5 pick if not for a 5' 9", 190 lb. frame

foozball
12-16-2008, 05:01 PM
mickens = cason

average measurables/size paired with very good ballskills and coverage ability

JaxJag_1
12-16-2008, 05:17 PM
Alphonso Smith, Trevard Lindley, D.J. Moore

Cigaro
12-16-2008, 05:20 PM
D.J. Moore and Alphonso Smith.

princefielder28
12-16-2008, 05:35 PM
Trevard Lindley

CashmoneyDrew
12-16-2008, 05:46 PM
D.J. Moore

etk
12-16-2008, 05:55 PM

Perfect. My thoughts exactly.

Also Bruce Johnson.

jkjk.

12-16-2008, 06:02 PM
If Sean Smith sticks it out as a corner and declares he's probably my fav in a deep, deep class. His size / speed combo to go with his ball hawking skills make him one of the more intriguing prospects in the mid rounds.

SuperKevin
12-16-2008, 06:39 PM
If Sean Smith sticks it out as a corner and declares he's probably my fav in a deep, deep class. His size / speed combo to go with his ball hawking skills make him one of the more intriguing prospects in the mid rounds.

I agree with this. He kind of reminds me of Antrell Rolle with his size and athleticism.

BamaFalcon59
12-16-2008, 06:51 PM
Macho Harris.

He has all of the tools, intangibles, and production.

Malaka
12-16-2008, 06:55 PM
My favorite is Malcolm Jenkins, he is great at everything, has the size and the speed, and the numbers to back it up. He is a prototypical CB in my eyes, and should be a top ten pick at least top 15.

EDIT: My bad... didn't fully read title

My favorite other than Jenkins would probably be Mike Mickens, he has great ball skills, and is great in coverage, his size is decent, and his speed is average, but those are his only knocks on him. If it weren't for his average measurables he'd easily be among the top 3 CBs in this class IMO

Paranoidmoonduck
12-16-2008, 06:55 PM
I love Alphonso Smith, but not for all defenses. D.J. Moore is someone I need to see more gametape on, but what I've seen is certainly impressive. Sean Smith probably has the inside track to being my #2 cornerback.

Unbiased
12-16-2008, 06:57 PM
I'm not trying to be different or anything, but I really like Domonique Johnson's potential.

MidwayMonster31
12-16-2008, 07:02 PM
Moore, Lindley and Smith are all good picks. My favorite small school corner is Mark Parson from Ohio. He has decent size at 5-10, 192. His technique and athletic ability are very good. I think Scott did a piece on him earlier in the year.
DeAngelo Smith is also underrated. Playing next to Mike Mickens, he doesn't get the same attention. He is still a capable corner.
Put Macho Harris in a Tampa-2, he will be a beast.
Domonique Johnson could have a Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie-esque skyrocketing up the boards in the offseason. Johnson has a similar build, is very fast and athletic, he also had 4 interceptions and 13 break-ups. He transferred from Missouri for the sake of changing things, coaches did question his dedication after he joined a frat in Mizzou. Coaches at Jackson State had a lot of good things to say about him.

DreadedDatSkinsFan
12-16-2008, 07:07 PM
Patrick Robinson....He is only a JR so he may end up staying....But if he does declare then he will probably end up rising up draft boards after the combine...The kid can fly...And he plays w/ that swagg out there...

draftguru151
12-16-2008, 07:17 PM
Perfect. My thoughts exactly.

Also Bruce Johnson.

jkjk.

If Johnson had any ball skills he'd be a pretty good prospect. Shame he has no idea what to do when the ball is in the air.

Shane P. Hallam
12-16-2008, 07:20 PM
I like Mike Mickens a lot myself.

Another guy I have as a sleeper is Keenan Lewis out of Oregon State who could fit nicely in a Cover 2 scheme.

jnew76
12-16-2008, 07:36 PM
Love Dominique Johnson and Mike Mickens. I think Mickens athletic ability is being a little underrated as he has been slowed by injury. I think he will surprise and should display some really good quickness in drills. His ball skills rival DJ Moore in my opinion. Moore would be a top 10 prospect if he were two inches taller.

themaninblack
12-16-2008, 07:44 PM
mickens = cason

average measurables/size paired with very good ballskills and coverage ability

I like that comparison a lot n never really thought about it that way. Regardless, Mickens is a fantastic football player who could make some team very happy in the NFL. Even though I do have a UC bias I feel he is a tad underrated from what I've seen. He should be a 2nd/3rd rounder IMO.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-16-2008, 07:48 PM
I think Kevin Barnes is gonna be ridiculously overlooked during the draft process. If it weren't from his injury I think he'd be a day 1 pick. Lets see if he is healthy enough in workouts. The guy can cover like a corner but hit like a safety. As far as other guys I think Alphonso Smith is the best pure cover corner in the entire draft. I also like Macho Harris because of his versatility.

SuperKevin
12-16-2008, 08:31 PM
I like that comparison a lot n never really thought about it that way. Regardless, Mickens is a fantastic football player who could make some team very happy in the NFL. Even though I do have a UC bias I feel he is a tad underrated from what I've seen. He should be a 2nd/3rd rounder IMO.

Mickens could sneak into the end of round 1

etk
12-16-2008, 10:32 PM
If Johnson had any ball skills he'd be a pretty good prospect. Shame he has no idea what to do when the ball is in the air.

Good point. It's hard to imagine such a scenario, but you're probably right.

As fast as he is, he doesn't change directions very well to stick with corners and he could get quicker on his breaks to the ball. He does have speed though and he's pretty feisty for his size so man2man teams will look hard at him.

Macho Harris is extremely overrated as an NFL prospect. He's basically a very poor man's Talib. He's slow, he freelances, his attitude is a turn-off, he's not very strong in press-man. He's serviceable in a Cover 2 as a backup/all-around ST guy but he's by no means a top corner that you expect to start and build around.

BamaFalcon59
12-16-2008, 10:47 PM
Good point. It's hard to imagine such a scenario, but you're probably right.

As fast as he is, he doesn't change directions very well to stick with corners and he could get quicker on his breaks to the ball. He does have speed though and he's pretty feisty for his size so man2man teams will look hard at him.

Macho Harris is extremely overrated as an NFL prospect. He's basically a very poor man's Talib. He's slow, he freelances, his attitude is a turn-off, he's not very strong in press-man. He's serviceable in a Cover 2 as a backup/all-around ST guy but he's by no means a top corner that you expect to start and build around.

That right there shows your ignorance. As a mod said, stop discussing VT and I won't discuss UM.

etk
12-16-2008, 11:14 PM
That right there shows your ignorance. As a mod said, stop discussing VT and I won't discuss UM.

What's ignorant. He mouths off to the opposing team, makes these grand celebrations after minor plays, lets his emotions get ahead of him way too often and he thinks he's better than he is. Those are not positive attributes in a professional football player.

This is a DRAFT forum and we're discussing DRAFT PROSPECTS. I happen to watch VT often and I know a lot about their players. If you don't want an argument then don't come trolling. This has NOTHING to do with Miami-VT.

Staubach12
12-16-2008, 11:42 PM
DJ Moore and it's not even close.

thebow305
12-16-2008, 11:54 PM
I like Macho and Sean Smith a lot, hopefully the Phins can get one of them!

Halsey
12-17-2008, 12:28 AM

Great sig gif. I'll be your best friend if you can find me a Falcons gif similar to that. :)

RaiderNation
12-17-2008, 12:32 AM
Macho Harris will be a pro bowl type player

critesy
12-17-2008, 01:02 AM
deangelo smith > mike mickens

Solomon
12-17-2008, 01:21 AM
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one hyping up Trevard Lindley. If he declares early he's a first rounder in my books.

coordinator0
12-17-2008, 12:18 PM
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one hyping up Trevard Lindley. If he declares early he's a first rounder in my books.

Would you say that he is better in a man or a zone scheme? The Ravens will almost certainly be looking for a good man-to-man guy and i have basically ruled out Macho Harris. From what I've heard Lindley is a great man-man guy, but I really don't know too much about him. Does anybody know?

princefielder28
12-17-2008, 02:45 PM
Would you say that he is better in a man or a zone scheme? The Ravens will almost certainly be looking for a good man-to-man guy and i have basically ruled out Macho Harris. From what I've heard Lindley is a great man-man guy, but I really don't know too much about him. Does anybody know?

Lindley is wonderful in man coverage. I would say himself and Mark Parson are two of the tops in that category.

BamaFalcon59
12-17-2008, 04:46 PM
What's ignorant. He mouths off to the opposing team, makes these grand celebrations after minor plays, lets his emotions get ahead of him way too often and he thinks he's better than he is. Those are not positive attributes in a professional football player.

This is a DRAFT forum and we're discussing DRAFT PROSPECTS. I happen to watch VT often and I know a lot about their players. If you don't want an argument then don't come trolling. This has NOTHING to do with Miami-VT.

And he's also the biggest leader of our defense, highly respected by our coaches, and highly respected by coaches across America. He's done a lot to get where he is and is a natural leader.

He gets hyped after making plays. Big deal! The whole VT defense does. Maybe other teams should try it, because obviously it works.

And I get a warning for trolling because of that last post. What a joke. From a UM fan of course.

SuperKevin
12-17-2008, 04:48 PM
And he's also the biggest leader of our defense, highly respected by our coaches, and highly respected by coaches across America. He's done a lot to get where he is and is a natural leader.

He gets hyped after making plays. Big deal! The whole VT defense does. Maybe other teams should try it, because obviously it works.

And I get a warning for trolling because of that last post. What a joke. From a UM fan of course.

And now you're about to get an infraction for attack on mods

BamaFalcon59
12-17-2008, 04:49 PM
And now you're about to get an infraction for attack on mods

Yeah, oh well. Maybe they should review the mods they have, because there's an obvious bias against me from one or two of them.

SuperKevin
12-17-2008, 04:52 PM
Yeah, oh well. Maybe they should review the mods they have, because there's an obvious bias against me from one or two of them.

Well you may think it is a bias against you, it's probably having something to do with the fact that you(and many other people on this site) are highly confrontational and do not know how to accept criticism. I think a lot of your issues with the mods you feel are against you would go away if you simply became open to different opinions.

marshallb
12-17-2008, 09:08 PM
DJ Moore and Darius Butler, although there are a lot of CBs I like this year, it is going to be a deep class, especially if some of the top Juniors come out.

coordinator0
12-18-2008, 11:50 AM
Does anybody know if D.J. Moore is leaning towards coming out? I really like him and was wondering what is plans are, even if it is a little early.

SuperKevin
12-18-2008, 11:53 AM
Does anybody know if D.J. Moore is leaning towards coming out? I really like him and was wondering what is plans are, even if it is a little early.

There's no real rumors floating about but one has to think he has no real reason to go back to Vandy

DeathbyStat
12-18-2008, 12:11 PM
I like Alphonso Smith as much as I like Antoine Cason last year and I like Cason alot

DiG
12-18-2008, 12:40 PM
ive got dj moore ahead of vontae personally. barnes could be a steal too. im not crazy about alphonso after i watched dhb abuse him.

SuperKevin
12-18-2008, 12:41 PM
ive got dj moore ahead of vontae personally. barnes could be a steal too. im not crazy about alphonso after i watched dhb abuse him.

I agree. In fact I have Vontae as the 4th or 5th best CB

DiG
12-18-2008, 01:18 PM
I agree. In fact I have Vontae as the 4th or 5th best CB

could turn out to be true depending on who declares and who does not.

SuperKevin
12-18-2008, 01:20 PM
could turn out to be true depending on who declares and who does not.

To me Davis is all measurables. I think he needs a lot of work on his technique

DiG
12-18-2008, 01:26 PM

yea agree. he's got great upside if he gets into the right situation. if it were me though id take dj moore or mickens over vontae which would put vontae at 4th on my list just ahead of alphonso. Lindley would also be intriguing if he declared.

coordinator0
12-18-2008, 10:31 PM

Interesting... Maybe if he doesn't develop corner skills there's a future at the safety position in the NFL (probably free safety)?

Grig
12-19-2008, 01:47 AM
I really am not up on as many of the prospects as most here, but I enjoy reading the forums and following the draft process.

With that said, what's not to love about Sean Smith? He looks ridiculous. I'd absolutely love if the Dolphins came away with him.

bulldog0123
12-22-2008, 12:26 PM
alphonso smith

SuperKevin
12-22-2008, 01:54 PM
I'll be looking hard at Kyle Wilson tomorrow in the Boise State/TCU game. He's only a junior but he's supposedly leaning towards coming out. Might be a poor game to evaluate his talent on though because TCU will likely run the ball a lot.

JRTPlaya21
12-22-2008, 02:21 PM
Gotta give the hometown love for Macho Harris. Hopefully he will turn out better then Jimmy Williams.

hellrazor
12-22-2008, 05:53 PM
cary harris

ThePudge
12-22-2008, 05:57 PM
I'll go D.J. Moore right now. He's had a hell of a year and has the tools to be a good pro. It's hard to discount these types of guys in the SEC, he plays top competition on a weekly basis and has consistently been the best defensive player for the Commodores. A true NFL talent. Late first-round pick, possibly early-second right now.

It could be fairly said that Alphonso Smith would be a Top 10-15 pick if he were 5'11-6'0, but the fact remains he is not. An early second round pick in my opinion. Great ball skills, is a willing tackler, and can run with anyone, he just has that ever-present size concern.

JFLO
12-23-2008, 07:18 PM
Mine would either be LaDarius Webb from Nicholls State or Kendell Davis-Clark from Michigan State. I'm a big fan of corners that have a future in a Cover 2 scheme.

coordinator0
12-26-2008, 07:48 AM
I'll go D.J. Moore right now. He's had a hell of a year and has the tools to be a good pro. It's hard to discount these types of guys in the SEC, he plays top competition on a weekly basis and has consistently been the best defensive player for the Commodores. A true NFL talent. Late first-round pick, possibly early-second right now.

It could be fairly said that Alphonso Smith would be a Top 10-15 pick if he were 5'11-6'0, but the fact remains he is not. An early second round pick in my opinion. Great ball skills, is a willing tackler, and can run with anyone, he just has that ever-present size concern.

When you say "willing tackler," do you mean that he doesn't mind coming up and hitting somebody or that he tries but he isn't a good tackler at all? If he's not another tackler, the Ravens may end up with a Fabian Washington clone if they draft him...

coordinator0
12-31-2008, 06:20 PM
I didn't want to make a new thread, so I'll just post it in this one. I think D.J. Moore is now my favorite "other" CB prospect and now that he has declared I would like to know more about him. I know he has great hands and is pretty fast, but I' not sure about some other things. Does he have good instincts? Is he physical? Stuff like that is what I would like to know. All feedback is appreciated.

Race for the Heisman
12-31-2008, 08:31 PM
I didn't want to make a new thread, so I'll just post it in this one. I think D.J. Moore is now my favorite "other" CB prospect and now that he has declared I would like to know more about him. I know he has great hands and is pretty fast, but I' not sure about some other things. Does he have good instincts? Is he physical? Stuff like that is what I would like to know. All feedback is appreciated.

Great instincts, quite physical, and just a natural football player (see burning Trevard Lindley, another day one prospect, probable first rounder, twice for touchdowns). As you might guess, D.J. Moore is my favorite. I really like Alphonso Smith, too, but I think D.J. Moore is more physical and I like that in a corner.

Oh, and I like Kevin Barnes of Maryland, too.

SuperKevin
12-31-2008, 08:38 PM
Great instincts, quite physical, and just a natural football player (see burning Trevard Lindley, another day one prospect, probable first rounder, twice for touchdowns). As you might guess, D.J. Moore is my favorite. I really like Alphonso Smith, too, but I think D.J. Moore is more physical and I like that in a corner.

Oh, and I like Kevin Barnes of Maryland, too.

Barnes is real physical at CB. I'd like to see him in Buffalo

zaqdaddy
01-01-2009, 12:06 AM
Mike Mickens, he has great cover skills and he is a huge part of Cinncinati's rise to power in the Big East.

TitanHope
01-01-2009, 07:58 AM
After seeing DJ Moore in person, my infatuation has turned into love.

<3

Pokeys
01-01-2009, 10:44 PM
D.J. Moore this kid is the shet. I'm tempted to put him ahead of Jenkins.