PDA

View Full Version : Alex Mack - High/Low?

essential
12-17-2008, 11:29 AM
I'm a Bills fan, and when we were 5-1 I was still looking ahead to the draft because the draft is awesome. Center is one of the weakest spots on the Bills, and I've wanted Mack for a while. At 5-1 we would be picking mid to late twenties, and I had Mack targeted for that range. However, know we are looking in the possible 8-14 range, which might be considered high for Mack. However, I doubt he would last till when we picked in the second.

What is your range for Mack? Post-combine/work out prediction range, what is the high and low on Mack? Would picking him top 15 be a complete waste in terms of value? Is it possible or likely he could last till the mid-second round?

wonderbredd24
12-17-2008, 11:50 AM
I have a hard time seeing Alex Mack making it past Pittsburgh... for a team that had 3 centers in 30 years, Mack seems like a perfect fit both from that standpoint and he's a Pittsburgh style of player, if you ask me

If by some miracle he made it to the second round, the Browns should snag him in a heartbeat

BeerBaron
12-17-2008, 12:11 PM
Another thing to remember about Mack that could push his stock high is that he could convert to G as well. Teams picking late in the first would certainly value that. The Steelers were mentioned as one possible spot and that makes sense given just the sheer amount of holes on the o-line they have, he could help out a lot anywhere.

Babylon
12-17-2008, 12:51 PM
The way i look at most drafts is you have a consensus 10-15 players to come off the board first. Then you have another 20 or so that could go anywhere according to team needs. Taking Mack anywhere after that top tier makes perfect sense to me. If there is another center or two that's close then you can gamble one is there in round 2.

themaninblack
12-17-2008, 12:55 PM
I'm hoping he's available early second but that may not be the case.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-17-2008, 01:26 PM
I think Mack is good enough at his position to go in the top 20, personally. That said, it's a bit of a stretch to imagine him going that high unless he just blows every team away and his stock is slightly raised due to widespread interest. In a year that was weaker in other offensive line positions, I might even even consider the idea that Mack would go higher because he'd be considered for another offensive line position, but I don't think there's much chance of that this year.

I'd be surprised to see him slip out of the first 32, but he won't make it much further than that if he does.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-17-2008, 01:50 PM
As a prospect and what they bring to the table, I really prefer Max Unger to Mack.

YAYareaRB
12-17-2008, 03:06 PM
He started out at Cal as a Guard. I went to a lot of their games this year and he definitely is the big bully of the Golden Bear O-Line. Definitely a guy I could see the Steelers taking. He's tough, nasty, and gets the job done.

Mr. Stiller
12-17-2008, 04:54 PM
I have a hard time seeing Alex Mack making it past Pittsburgh... for a team that had 3 centers in 30 years, Mack seems like a perfect fit both from that standpoint and he's a Pittsburgh style of player, if you ask me

If by some miracle he made it to the second round, the Browns should snag him in a heartbeat

3 Centers in 30 some years, then 3 in the last 3.

Hartwig is a keeper until he declines, I see him re-signing. If not we've been grooming Darnell Stapleton for 2 years now.

I don't see Mack as a Pittsburgh Style C. Give me Antoine Caldwell any day of the week, he has more upside as a true "Pittsburgh" Style C.

I really don't think a lot of people have focused on our Offensive line the past 3-4 games.

The OL isn't the problem. It's Willie Parkers Vision and Roethlisberger holding onto the ball for 20 minutes.

How long can 5 guys hold 6-7 from getting to the qb? Ben's even had time in that situation.

We've also had 4 new starters this season (Starks, Kemoeatu, Hartwig and Stapleton)

They're starting to really gel right now and honestly.. the only OL that really interest me for "Pittsburgh Style" with respect to where they'll actually fall (don't forget Pitt has 9 picks this year and rarely drafts that many, If Oher falls to 20 or so, like Scotts recent mock, I see Pitt trading up)...

Russell Okung, RT and eventual LT.
Ciron Black, Fulltime RT.
Andy Levitre, OG
Antoine Caldwell, C/G
Fenuki Tupou, RT
Xavier Fulton, Developmental OG/OT
Garrett Reynolds, Developmental RT
William Beatty, Developmental OT.
Trevor Canfield, Developmental G
Andy Kemp, Developmental G
Jeremy Perry, IR then developmental G/C

Solomon
12-17-2008, 06:13 PM
Honestly I could see him falling to the Bills second round pick, or at least early enough into the second round that the Bills could easily trade up for him. Right now I still have him as a top 25 pick but supposedly Max Unger is shooting up boards due to his versatility and I think Jon Luigs could overtake him by draft time too. Keep in mind that the center position is very deep ths year with Antoine Caldwell and Eric Wood as well so teams might not be as willing to spend a first rounder on a pivot.

princefielder28
12-17-2008, 06:52 PM
Mack's physicality and demeanor are going to fit perfectly for a team like Arizona or Pittsburgh, who are looking to upgrade the interior of their line. I don't see him falling into round two, and if he does it'll only be two or three picks deep.

I question what's everyone's love for Max Unger. He's a very versatile prospect, but for me, there are too many questions marks with Unger. I will acknowledge he is an intelligent player, along with being versatile, but he's nowhere near the physical player that someone like Alex Mack is, and I wouldn't say his footwork and quickness are outstanding either, atleast from what I've seen.

Menardo75
12-17-2008, 06:54 PM
I would say 20 and up would be a good spot for him.

7-11
12-17-2008, 07:02 PM
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n3/n15626.jpg

I see her more of a running back prospect with that whole liquid thing goin on.

armageddon
12-17-2008, 08:48 PM
The Rams could use him at the top of rd 2

OzTitan
12-18-2008, 12:21 AM
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n3/n15626.jpg

I see her more of a running back prospect with that whole liquid thing goin on.

That joke is SOOOOO, like, a year ago....

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15485

:)

Don Vito
12-18-2008, 12:41 AM
Mack is on the short list of offenisve lineman that I would want the Patriots to look at in round 1. If he were available, I would be thrilled if we took him over more pressing needs on the defensive side of the ball. Koppen hasn't had a great year and we also have had some issues at guard, Mack has the ability to play guard as well as center which would make him a great addition for us.

Iamcanadian
12-18-2008, 10:55 AM
According to Mayock, Mack's stock has dropped and he is a 2nd rounder. The top OC is Unger. So if Buffalo wants a Center, they will in all likelihood be looking for one in rounds 2 or 3 and Mack might be available for them.

JaxJag_1
12-18-2008, 11:25 AM
Antonie Caldwell > Mack

Give me Caldwell in Rd. 3 over Mack in Rd. 2

Mr. Stiller
12-18-2008, 11:44 AM
Antonie Caldwell > Mack

Give me Caldwell in Rd. 3 over Mack in Rd. 2

I don't understand how he isn't ranked higher.

Considering the defense talent in the SEC vs. Pac-10 and from watching both I truly felt that Caldwell is more dominant, though less "fast" than Mack.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-18-2008, 03:36 PM
According to Mayock, Mack's stock has dropped and he is a 2nd rounder. The top OC is Unger. So if Buffalo wants a Center, they will in all likelihood be looking for one in rounds 2 or 3 and Mack might be available for them.

We'll see at the combine. I don't know much about Unger's or Caldwell's or Luig's athleticism, but I do know that Mack is a serious threat to run under 5.0 at 315 and to post good numbers across the board.

Iamcanadian
12-18-2008, 10:03 PM
We'll see at the combine. I don't know much about Unger's or Caldwell's or Luig's athleticism, but I do know that Mack is a serious threat to run under 5.0 at 315 and to post good numbers across the board.

Mayock's top 21 seniors will definitely be taking a turn or two before it is all said and done, it always does in the post season. Unger may have got the nod because he is so versatile in an era where versatility counts for a lot. We don't really know yet. However, Mack may still have problems going round 1 given that he is a center. He'll have to really standout to get that high. Being decent won't be enough.

Babylon
12-19-2008, 12:51 PM
The Rams could use him at the top of rd 2

From the looks of Richie Incognito your strategy is spot on.

Menardo75
12-19-2008, 02:22 PM

Mayock is arguably one of the worst evaluators out their.

SenorGato
12-19-2008, 03:54 PM
Mack's physicality and demeanor are going to fit perfectly for a team like Arizona or Pittsburgh, who are looking to upgrade the interior of their line. I don't see him falling into round two, and if he does it'll only be two or three picks deep.

I question what's everyone's love for Max Unger. He's a very versatile prospect, but for me, there are too many questions marks with Unger. I will acknowledge he is an intelligent player, along with being versatile, but he's nowhere near the physical player that someone like Alex Mack is, and I wouldn't say his footwork and quickness are outstanding either, atleast from what I've seen.

Thank you. I was wondering when Unger became shenz.

Mack reminds me of Nick Mangold perfectly though. Big, physical, smart centers.

I like Mack and Caldwell best out of the C's in this draft.

armageddon
12-19-2008, 05:16 PM
From the looks of Richie Incognito your strategy is spot on.

Ritchie has played OG this year. He is a friggen monster too. He does take stupid penalties on occasion, but the dude is a beast. Mean too. I wouldn't mind him playing OC next year, but have to resign him first. He would be a great OC. He is a power blocker. Not as great of a pass blocker though, but he will get better. This is basically only his 2nd year.

Babylon
12-19-2008, 05:19 PM
Ritchie has played OG this year. He is a friggen monster too. He does take stupid penalties on occasion, but the dude is a beast. Mean too. I wouldn't mind him playing OC next year, but have to resign him first. He would be a great OC. He is a power blocker. Not as great of a pass blocker though, but he will get better. This is basically only his 2nd year.

I thought they had him at center, shows how much of an impression they made on me. My mistake.

I_C_DeadPeople
12-19-2008, 06:36 PM
Mayock is arguably one of the worst evaluators out their.

He is better than the Bengal scout(s)...

themaninblack
12-19-2008, 08:26 PM
The Bengals don't have scouts. Shame on you.

I_C_DeadPeople
12-20-2008, 10:55 AM
The Bengals don't have scouts. Shame on you.

LOL..now, now, they have 2 family inbreds and a former High School AD..according to Mike Brown they do a good job they just have had a 20 year run of injuries and bad luck.

no love
12-23-2008, 01:08 AM
Mack is on the short list of offenisve lineman that I would want the Patriots to look at in round 1. If he were available, I would be thrilled if we took him over more pressing needs on the defensive side of the ball. Koppen hasn't had a great year and we also have had some issues at guard, Mack has the ability to play guard as well as center which would make him a great addition for us.

Great point. I see alot of Mankins like nastyness in Mack, plus never count out the patriots to select a guy they like in any round regardless of his position.