PDA

View Full Version : Jaguars Agree to Terms with Northcutt

JT Jag
03-03-2007, 05:31 PM
http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/030307/jag_northcutt.shtml

The Jaguars said early in free-agency that they were searching for a veteran free-agent wide-receiver with the ability to stretch the seam from the slot. Northcutt fits the description. He also brings reliably good punt return skills into the fold, something the team currently doesn't have.

Thoughts?

jagsfreak27
03-03-2007, 05:33 PM
I guess this means no Moss

Staubach12
03-03-2007, 05:33 PM
Meh. Nothing exciting.

jagsfreak27
03-03-2007, 05:36 PM
Meh. Nothing exciting.
Maybe not to a cowgirls fan

jagsfreak27
03-03-2007, 05:39 PM
Damn you broke that down for us right quick its not on Jags.com or NFL.com

Number 10
03-03-2007, 05:41 PM
Return game?

Didn't Drew do well in that role?

jagsfreak27
03-03-2007, 05:42 PM
Return game?

Didn't Drew do well in that role? KICK Return

icantackleclaret
03-03-2007, 05:43 PM
As a Browns fan I am happy to see Northcutt get paid. He is a good PR and runs the reverse pretty well he just needs some help with bring the ball in as a WR. Best of luck Dennis.

TheChampIsHere
03-03-2007, 05:56 PM
perfect signing for the Jags. They needed a slot receiver with speed and return skills.

Green Bay Scat
03-03-2007, 05:59 PM
looks like teddy will be slipping past them. Dennis will fit perfectly with the Jags, and could be a KR if need be if MJD gets more carries

The Unseen
03-03-2007, 06:00 PM
It's an okay signing. I don't dislike it, but it's nothing special.

jriles0522
03-03-2007, 06:00 PM
Northcutt sucks. He's an above average punt returner but for some reason those hands don't translate onto the field. My anxiety and frustration levels watching the Browns will now decrease because I do not have to watch him drop any more wide open passes.

Good luck with him though.

JoeMontainya
03-03-2007, 06:02 PM
Ya he will be your #3 or 4 WR. You basically signed a guy that will give you 10-12 yards per return on punt team.

PoopSandwich
03-03-2007, 06:05 PM
Ya he will be your #3 or 4 WR. You basically signed a guy that will give you 10-12 yards per return on punt team.

or a touchdown?

keylime_5
03-03-2007, 06:10 PM
Northcutt is a great punt returner.......but a sorry receiver. He might be okay in the slot for a team with a good QB.

49erfaithful
03-03-2007, 06:21 PM
So how does this affect the draft for them

JT Jag
03-03-2007, 06:25 PM
So how does this affect the draft for themNot much. The team has already stated that they won't pursue a wide-receiver in the first round, and that won't change.

But if a guy like Jason Hill is available in the 2nd and he's the best available player, they'd probably take him.

Go_Eagles77
03-03-2007, 06:42 PM
One less possible destination for Stallworth. :)

Eaglez.Fan
03-03-2007, 06:50 PM
Northcutt isn't really that good. He's a good KR, but below average at WR. IMO this won't effect much, maybe just there need at KR

The Unseen
03-03-2007, 06:53 PM
Northcutt isn't really that good. He's a good KR, but below average at WR. IMO this won't effect much, maybe just there need at KR

You mean PR, but I kind of agree. I hope the front office and coaching staff sees something that we don't, but he does not have a good history as a receiver.

ninerfan
03-03-2007, 06:54 PM
Ouch that seems alot of $$$. I couldnt see him starting a bidding war or anything

JT Jag
03-03-2007, 06:57 PM
I'm guessing Joe DeCamillis, our ST Coordinator, was the one who pushed for this signing the most.

Combined with Northcutt being on the "short list" of free-agent wide receivers that Dirk Koetter assembled, imploring them to bring in at least one of them, he was a likely and logical signing. Office politics. He'll be a good returner for the team in the long-term and a good slot guy in the short-term.

Hail Browns
03-03-2007, 07:10 PM
All I can say is that you Jaguars fans better hope he only returns punts. Otherwise you're going to be VERY frustrated when he starts dropping half the passes thrown his way.

BigDawg819
03-03-2007, 07:15 PM
As a Browns fan I am happy to see Northcutt get paid. He is a good PR and runs the reverse pretty well he just needs some help with bring the ball in as a WR. Best of luck Dennis.

You admit to being a Browns fan......why? Just kidding, it is good to see him get paid and maybe he'll be involved more so on the offensive side of the ball.

JT Jag
03-03-2007, 07:19 PM
All I can say is that you Jaguars fans better hope he only returns punts. Otherwise you're going to be VERY frustrated when he starts dropping half the passes thrown his way.I haven't seen him play much, so I just want to know: How often does he drop passes that hit him squarely on his hands after a good pass?

Or his he the sort of person that you most of the time end up finding yourself saying "Jeez... if you get your hand on it, you SHOULD be able to bring it in", after passes that he really has to work for?

yourfavestoner
03-03-2007, 07:43 PM
I haven't seen him play much, so I just want to know: How often does he drop passes that hit him squarely on his hands after a good pass?

Or his he the sort of person that you most of the time end up finding yourself saying "Jeez... if you get your hand on it, you SHOULD be able to bring it in", after passes that he really has to work for?

This is exactly what I want to know.

One less possible destination for Stallworth.

You can keep him and the Randel El type of deal that he wants. ;)

Chucky
03-03-2007, 08:13 PM
northcutt has no hands, i hope for the jags sake hat they didnt pay too much

twotondawg
03-03-2007, 10:19 PM
Dennis Northcutt is a top notch PUNT returner with pretty good speed who catches the ball like a fullback... a blocking fullback.

TACKLE
03-03-2007, 10:35 PM
I don't think the Jags will be interested in taking Ted Ginn anymore now that they have their sepedy slot reciever.

yourfavestoner
03-04-2007, 12:05 AM
I don't think the Jags will be interested in taking Ted Ginn anymore now that they have their sepedy slot reciever.

They were never interested in Ted Ginn in the first place.

I hate how hardly anybody on this site ever listens to the Jaguar fans when it comes to their own team.

JT Jag
03-04-2007, 12:11 AM
In 2002, Northcutt had a 73% catch percentage, and in 2003 he had a 68% catch percentage. These are both near the top of the league.

He's gone sharply down hill since then, but this year is his first season having a sub-50% catch percentage. Anyone know why he's regressed? Does he have an eye condition we don't know about, or have the Browns QBs just gotten worse and worse?

BuckNaked
03-04-2007, 12:42 AM
I think whenever a wide reciever gets signed, some completely ignorant poster will state that they won't be interested in Ted Ginn anymore.

princefielder28
03-04-2007, 12:44 AM
No moss, no 1st day pick on a speed wideout

JT Jag
03-04-2007, 01:01 AM
No moss, no 1st day pick on a speed wideoutIf the guy is the best available player, the team might draft a wide-out in the 2nd or 3rd round.

After the first round, where the team is somewhat pidgeonholed into taking a safety, the team is well-positioned to take the best available player through the entire draft.

PoopSandwich
03-04-2007, 01:32 PM
I haven't seen him play much, so I just want to know: How often does he drop passes that hit him squarely on his hands after a good pass?

He dropped a pass that hit him right in the hands shot it up in the air and a Panthers DB grabbed it and ran it back for a TD... He always drops passes, he always makes punt returns interesting.

yourfavestoner
03-04-2007, 01:52 PM
If the guy is the best available player, the team might draft a wide-out in the 2nd or 3rd round.

After the first round, where the team is somewhat pidgeonholed into taking a safety, the team is well-positioned to take the best available player through the entire draft.

I want Anthony Gonzales or Jason Hill in the second round really, really, really, really bad.

JoeMontainya
03-04-2007, 01:55 PM
"Anyone know why he's regressed?"

Hes regresses due to pass protection, and a bad QB. But he drops balls high schools shouldnt drop. he takes it to a new level. Frye wouldnt even throw him the ball at one point. Hes a really small target aswell and unless hes wide open, dont look his way.

Freddy G
03-04-2007, 03:08 PM
I feel sorry for you Jags. Hopefully he is relegated to punt return ONLY.

JT Jag
03-04-2007, 03:11 PM
I want Anthony Gonzales or Jason Hill in the second round really, really, really, really bad.I hear ya.

Jason Hill in the second or Steve Smith/Craig Davis/Johnnie Lee Higgins in the third? I'm all over it.

jriles0522
03-04-2007, 03:15 PM
[QUOTE=yourfavestoner;185238]This is exactly what I want to know.

Hopefully you've all gotten the unfortunate truth about northcutt from all of us browns fans. In case you haven't ill sum it up.

He is a great punt returner.

He is a terrible wide receiver, yea he has speed, but it's worthless because he never catches it. I can just picture Leftwhich rifling passes at him. If he can't catch Frye's little soft passes, Leftwhich is going to kill him and you guys are going to understand why he is ONLY A PUNT RETURNER.

yourfavestoner
03-04-2007, 04:13 PM
I hear ya.

Jason Hill in the second or Steve Smith/Craig Davis/Johnnie Lee Higgins in the third? I'm all over it.

If somehow safety, defensive end, and wide receiver align themselves to be the best available players in rounds one through three, I might just be the happiest person alive on draft day.