PDA

View Full Version : Donald Brown = Ray Rice?

Matthew Jones
12-17-2008, 05:14 PM
Donald Brown is 5'9", 210, and runs a 4.49 according to NFL Draft Scout. Ray Rice is 5'9", 205, and runs a 4.46. Both have great vision and can shake more tackles than you'd expect, and have been super-productive in the Big East. I think Brown will probably be drafted about where Rice was as well. What do you guys think of this comparison?

Race for the Heisman
12-17-2008, 05:15 PM
I agree one hundred percent, Rice was the first guy who I thought of after watching Brown. I like Brown a lot better though, for some reason.

scottyboy
12-17-2008, 05:18 PM
too bad Rice is about 100 times better than Brown will ever be.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-17-2008, 05:24 PM
Rice has a thicker lower body, IMO Rice is a poor man's MJD. Brown though is a workhorse. He's a natural runner who runs hard, but he is one of those guys who is solid at everything but doesn't stick out with any aspect of his game.

CashmoneyDrew
12-17-2008, 05:25 PM

Only 100 times better?

Vox Populi
12-17-2008, 05:28 PM
Ray Rice > Thor

jnew76
12-17-2008, 05:31 PM

Continued unbiased and consistent talent evaluation with regards to prospects from the Piscataway area make you one of my favorite all time posters.

Staubach12
12-17-2008, 05:44 PM
Ray Rice > Thor

http://rofl.wheresthebeef.co.uk/Moses%20Rock.jpg

^Actual picture of Ray Rice.

Jonny
12-17-2008, 05:48 PM
Don't really see it. Brown's good but he's different stylistically. Rice loves contact and has a ton of power for a little guy.

Solomon
12-17-2008, 06:43 PM
Don't really see it. Brown's good but he's different stylistically. Rice loves contact and has a ton of power for a little guy.

I agree. I actually think freshman Jacquizz Rodgers is more similiar to Rice.

josh07039
12-17-2008, 06:48 PM
Exactly, Rice is a guy with less quickness and evasiveness , but he makes up for it with more power that he generates from a good burst and powerful lower body. Just because Brown and Rice are from the same division and they are similar sizes, they are not even close to the same back.

ManOverboard
12-17-2008, 07:02 PM
Not even close, I've watched them 2 A LOT and I don't see that comparison at all.

scottyboy
12-17-2008, 07:20 PM
AND Brown's thighs and calfs are not juicy like Raymell baby's

SKim172
12-17-2008, 07:32 PM
Yeah, it's tough to see the comparison. Both have similar size, but their body types are very different. Rice had great lower body strength, which gave him power and good burst. Brown is strong, but he's more of a shifty dude. He's got good balance and agility and great vision.

My comparison would actually be Steve Slaton, the other BE tailback. People characterized Slaton as some super-fast scatback, but in reality, he was a solid 200 lbs and ran about a 4.45. And he's a lot better against contact than people expected.

I'd say Brown is a little slower, but with better vision.

BrabbitMcRabbit
12-17-2008, 09:16 PM
Brown reminds me more of a pocket Matt Forte. Decent athlete. Good feet.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-17-2008, 09:31 PM
AND Brown's thighs and calfs are not juicy like Raymell baby's
Yeah I mentioned that earlier, but in a less Romo kind of way.

etk
12-17-2008, 09:36 PM
How many yards did Rice rush for in the Int'l bowl last year? I'd like to see Brown duplicate that first.

Geo
12-17-2008, 10:49 PM
Maybe I just haven't seen enough of Brown, because I don't get it. I see a college back, through and through.

Putting him in the same sentence as Ray Rice, Matt Forte, and Steve Slaton?

Giantsfan1080
12-17-2008, 10:57 PM
How many yards did Rice rush for in the Int'l bowl last year? I'd like to see Brown duplicate that first.

35 carries. 282 yards. 4 TD's. 8.0 average.

gpngc
12-17-2008, 11:14 PM
Maybe I just haven't seen enough of Brown, because I don't get it. I see a college back, through and through.

No no. I assure you Brown is the real deal. He's a tough workhorse who runs as hard as Marion Barber. Excellent vision, great feet. A fighter. Quick to the hole, one-cut back. He can catch. He doesn't have elite speed though.

I'd compare him to Thomas Jones.

Giantsfan1080
12-17-2008, 11:23 PM
No no. I assure you Brown is the real deal. He's a tough workhorse who runs as hard as Marion Barber. Excellent vision, great feet. A fighter. Quick to the hole, one-cut back. He can catch. He doesn't have elite speed though.

I'd compare him to Thomas Jones.

Jones was the 7th pick overall that year. His measurables probably wont compare to Jones.

SKim172
12-17-2008, 11:34 PM

To be fair, a lot of people were doubting Steve Slaton as anything more than a college back this time last year, too.

I'm not saying you're wrong. There's a bit to be worried about Brown. He doesn't have top-end speed - you don't see much of a second gear when he's in the open. He's not what I call a "furious" runner - he doesn't go all-out crazy on the field, taking hits, ripping through holes, punishing tacklers (think Adrian Peterson). He shies a little from contact, kinda more of a shifty, spinning, evasive back. Will those moves still work at the next level, even without elite speed?

My biggest concern with him is he doesn't show a great burst. He can build up speed quickly enough, but he doesn't really explode.

But, you can't ignore the production - and in a season where UConn's passing game couldn't have been worse. He's got great vision to see the holes and he's pretty agile - good hips. Change of direction is smooth. Good feet. And he doesn't fumble. Good weight for his height, too, and looks lean enough to pack on some more muscle.

He fits the does-a-lot-well-but-none-of-them-great mold and you're right, maybe it won't work at the next level. But I'd be optimistic about him having a role in an NFL offense, if not a starter.

Buttered toast sonic
12-17-2008, 11:46 PM
can donald brown cure cancer with his Mind? No. Can donald brown fly? No. Can Donald Brown turn the tears of a child into delicious sierra mist cranberry splash? no.
Donald brown equals not a ray rice