PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Maybin DE/OLB Penn State

BuckDawg23
12-18-2008, 10:09 AM
McShay was just on Sportscenter calling Maybin his top pass rusher in this draft should he declare, if he does, what do you guys think of him as a 34 OLB? Where would he rank among the top hybrids

captainjack27
12-18-2008, 10:33 AM
McShay was just on Sportscenter calling Maybin his top pass rusher in this draft should he declare, if he does, what do you guys think of him as a 34 OLB? Where would he rank among the top hybrids

He better ******* not, that's all that need to be said.

SuperKevin
12-18-2008, 10:40 AM
He better ******* not, that's all that need to be said.

Don't worry. If he does you'll have true freshman stud Sean Stanley to step in. I only say this because he goes to my old high school

Sniper
12-18-2008, 10:50 AM
Don't worry. If he does you'll have true freshman stud Sean Stanley to step in. I only say this because he goes to my old high school

From what I hear, Stanley's growing into a defensive tackle.

SuperKevin
12-18-2008, 10:52 AM
From what I hear, Stanley's growing into a defensive tackle.

Yeah I know. He's more of a power guy in high school and won't have the speed or moves to stick at DE. I just like throwing his name out there because he's the first guy from my high school in a long time to go D1

ImBrotherCain
12-18-2008, 10:56 AM
a friend of mine actually roomed with Maybin at a football camp our senior year. he said he was a beast then

SuperKevin
12-18-2008, 10:58 AM
It's safe to say that Penn State literally rapes the State of Maryland of their top football talent

DeathbyStat
12-18-2008, 12:16 PM
I like Maybin alot and feel that he has great pro potential but Mcshay has him going 5th or 6th overall in a mock draft....that is just absurd

Mr. Stiller
12-18-2008, 12:36 PM
I love Maybin as well but he's far from a finished prospect.

captainjack27
12-18-2008, 12:42 PM

Still, Maybin + Evans(not being a dumbass)= awesomeness.

IceKubes
12-18-2008, 12:48 PM
If/when he comes out, is he capable of being a 4-3 end full time or is 3-4 OLB a much better fit?

captainjack27
12-18-2008, 12:51 PM
If/when he comes out, is he capable of being a 4-3 end full time or is 3-4 OLB a much better fit?

He's only 245, however he's still very strong/ and very fast. However I'd say I'd lean more towards 3-4 OLB.

Mr. Stiller
12-18-2008, 01:30 PM
Still, Maybin + Evans(not being a dumbass)= awesomeness.

and Odrick... who's going to make some 3-4 team ridiculously happy.

Race for the Heisman
12-18-2008, 01:36 PM
I guess if he came out I'd probably say mid/late second, maybe early third. I can't see him going before Selvie and I don't see Selvie cracking the first.

captainjack27
12-18-2008, 01:37 PM
and Odrick... who's going to make some 3-4 team ridiculously happy.
I forgot about him, he's a monster. The entire DLine is just stacked.

Mr. Stiller
12-18-2008, 01:57 PM
I guess if he came out I'd probably say mid/late second, maybe early third. I can't see him going before Selvie and I don't see Selvie cracking the first.

I can easily see Maybin going before Selvie. Selvie was exposed terribly this season.

Maybin Exploded, Selvie faltered to expectations and more attention from opposing offenses.

I can see Maybin going after Orakpo, Brown and maybe Johnson/Hardy, but not Selvie.

captainjack27
12-18-2008, 01:59 PM
I can easily see Maybin going before Selvie. Selvie was exposed terribly this season.

Maybin Exploded, Selvie faltered to expectations and more attention from opposing offenses.

I can see Maybin going after Orakpo, Brown and maybe Johnson/Hardy, but not Selvie.

I hope you're wrong lol. If scouts project him to be the second DE/OLB prospect taken I can't see why he would stay.

Mr. Stiller
12-18-2008, 02:01 PM
I hope you're wrong lol. If scouts project him to be the second DE/OLB prospect taken I can't see why he would stay.

Some people just don't like leaving early. Whether it's preperations, promises or expectations.. some guys just don't like leaving.

That said I don't know if Maybin can reproduce this season and with his play and youth should cash in this season.

TACKLE
12-18-2008, 02:24 PM
Hey Mr.Stiller, how was Selvie "exposed terribly" this season. He was not a freakishly productive has he was last year but whenever I watched him he was dominant. He was always drawing double teams and forcing the QB out of the pocket and batting down passes. He ended up with 12.5 tfl's and 5.5 sacks in 11 games but his numbers don't reflect the impact he had.

EarthWindandFire
12-18-2008, 02:55 PM
Maybin is not leaving and he should not leave unless McShay's ridiculous prediction comes to fruition and he does go in the top 10. With that said, I think the guy has Dwight Freeney type potential. He is that explosive. Him and Evans will make life a living hell for Big 11 qquarterbacks next season.

Larry121283
12-18-2008, 02:55 PM
He is ok, but I don't see Top 10 worthy. I haven't sat down and really focused on him like others, as I didn't think he'd be coming out. But if I watched him a little more, maybe my opinion would change.

I'd have quite a few players ranked ahead of him as a pass rusher, but like I said, I haven't seen him as much as others.

Brian Orakpo
Clint Sintim
George Selvie
Larry English

Mr. Stiller
12-18-2008, 03:00 PM
Hey Mr.Stiller, how was Selvie "exposed terribly" this season. He was not a freakishly productive has he was last year but whenever I watched him he was dominant. He was always drawing double teams and forcing the QB out of the pocket and batting down passes. He ended up with 12.5 tfl's and 5.5 sacks in 11 games but his numbers don't reflect the impact he had.

Selvie had a bad season. He was double teamed. He didn't generate any hype.

He was struggling against the run, and he didn't do as much as expected against the pass.

My point is.. unfortunately sounding like Starheather..

Maybin is coming out riding the Hype train... Selvie though a great player in his own right hadn't taken a "next" step or play nearly as dominant.

I don't hate Selvie, it's just Maybin exploded, and he "Fell off" as in didn't generate much hype from his play.

Thats not to say scouts don't view him as a great prospect. Just if both came out I see Maybin going first.

Mr. Stiller
12-18-2008, 03:01 PM
He is ok, but I don't see Top 10 worthy. I haven't sat down and really focused on him like others, as I didn't think he'd be coming out. But if I watched him a little more, maybe my opinion would change.

I'd have quite a few players ranked ahead of him as a pass rusher, but like I said, I haven't seen him as much as others.

Brian Orakpo
Clint Sintim
George Selvie
Larry English

I can't see many if any people ranking Maybin behind Sintim and English.

English is getting a ton of hype at the right time.. but he's still a NIU player.

Sintim I don't think is a true passrusher. He's good for what he was needed in college but I don't think he's amazing by any means. I still think his skillset would be better utilized inside.

iowatreat54
12-18-2008, 03:39 PM
Wait, so because English goes to NIU means he isn't as good of a pro prospect as someone that goes to a major program like PSU?

Laces_Out_Dan
12-18-2008, 04:02 PM
Wait, so because English goes to NIU means he isn't as good of a pro prospect as someone that goes to a major program like PSU?

I dont know if that is what he meant but if he did I don't really agree with that. There have been plenty of good players to come out of smaller schools, like Michael Turner from NIU.

On to Maybin I think he is a very good player, I have not seen a ton of PSU games but the ones I have seen he was clearly a stand out player. I don't know if he is top ten good this year but he is a good player non the less.

captainjack27
12-18-2008, 04:12 PM

Brian Orakpo
Clint Sintim
George Selvie
Larry English

Really the only knock on him to me is that at a pro level would be is he big enough to play 4-3 DE. He's very strong for a guy who's 245, but his explosion makes him one of the top pass rushers. The guy just blows right past tackles.

underscore
12-18-2008, 05:13 PM
I'd be quite surprised if Maybin weighed in at 245.

If he really projects that high, then more power to him, but I just can't see it, as right now, to be picked first round, he's too small for a DE and too inexperienced for OLB

Mr. Stiller
12-18-2008, 07:16 PM

No but there will be questions about level of competition as with any player from a smaller school.

I love Larry English, I don't get why I can't say anything about certain prospects without people jumping to conclusions..

I dont know if that is what he meant but if he did I don't really agree with that. There have been plenty of good players to come out of smaller schools, like Michael Turner from NIU.

I'm quite aware players come out of small schools and it takes a rare athlete to come out of a small school and be a high draft pick.

Michael Turner was a 5th rounder..
Brandon Jacobs? 4th rounder
Rashean Mathis? 2nd Rounder

People are saying English and 3 other guys are going to go before Maybin. I question that.

My questions about English is.... Is he a 3-4 OLB only, how will he fair against top notch competition.

Again I love English and want him in black and gold... but the Senior Bowl can be very telling. If he rips it apart I withdraw my questions.. if not, there are concerns.

Solomon
12-18-2008, 09:54 PM
Maybin is a very good 3-4 OLB prospect, I think better than Selvie. That being said his lack of versatility will hurt him. Players like Brian Orakpo and Larry English can play end in a base defense 4-3 and there are legit concerns that Maybin is far too light for that in the NFL. He has very good speed, a fantastic first step, is strong for his size and great pursuit ability. However his size poses too much of a problem for most 4-3 defensive units.

I think personally that Jeremy Beal is a better reshirt sophomore 3-4 OLB prospect and will be a higher selction when he comes out because Beal has shown that he can drop into coverage and play in space more adequately.

MaxV
12-18-2008, 10:19 PM
I think Maybin can benefit from staying for 1 more season and putting more bulk on that big frame of his (6'-4" with broad shoulders).

At this point, he's a 3-4 OLB. He does, however, have very good strength for his size.

He still has time to gain weight and possibly be a 4-3 DE.

Mr. Stiller
12-18-2008, 11:37 PM
Maybin is a very good 3-4 OLB prospect, I think better than Selvie. That being said his lack of versatility will hurt him. Players like Brian Orakpo and Larry English can play end in a base defense 4-3 and there are legit concerns that Maybin is far too light for that in the NFL. He has very good speed, a fantastic first step, is strong for his size and great pursuit ability. However his size poses too much of a problem for most 4-3 defensive units.

I think personally that Jeremy Beal is a better reshirt sophomore 3-4 OLB prospect and will be a higher selction when he comes out because Beal has shown that he can drop into coverage and play in space more adequately.

English still has to prove to me in the Senior Bowl he can play Down Lineman.