PDA

View Full Version : Emanuel Cook

Matthew Jones
12-18-2008, 03:49 PM
Now that South Carolina strong safety Emanuel Cook is academically ineligible, it looks like he's going to be headed to the draft. What do you guys think of him? Here's a brief bio I made:

Strong Safety Emanuel Cook (Jr.)

Height: 5'10"
Weight: 210 lbs.
40-yard dash: 4.55-4.60

Statistics:

2006: 47 tackles, 5 TFL
2007: 92 tackles, 3 INT, 8 TFL, 4 sacks
2008: 87 tackles

+ Hard hitter, can cause fumbles
+ Has decent triangle numbers
+ Can possibly play cornerback
+ Good special teams player

- Was not overly productive this year
- Academics are a big question mark
- Not as good in coverage as in the box

My grade: Third round

foozball
12-18-2008, 03:54 PM
i think his academic issues alone will cause him to drop further than his talent may warrant.

i dont know much about him, but since he was mentioned in the other thread about safeties, i did a bit of research. seems like a strong safety who could play free safety.

i agree with a 3rd round grade. probably would have been a 2nd rounder if he didnt have issues

Matthew Jones
12-18-2008, 03:56 PM
I am not sure how he'd be at free safety because he doesn't seem to make a lot of plays in coverage. I think he could have some value to a team that uses strong safeties, but with teams that are moving towards more of a center-fielder approach with their safeties, he probably wouldn't even be considered on the first day. I agree with you that he could have been a second rounder without the academic issues.

foozball
12-18-2008, 03:58 PM
im also wondering how he compares to patty chung from oregon. similar size and both like to play in the box rather than in coverage

Matthew Jones
12-18-2008, 04:03 PM
I think Chung has a bit of an edge in coverage and is probably going to be a little faster. He doesn't have the academic issues either, so I think he'll go before Cook as the first strong safety taken sometime in the second round (Mays and Moore both projecting as free safeties.)

foozball
12-18-2008, 04:03 PM
I am not sure how he'd be at free safety because he doesn't seem to make a lot of plays in coverage. I think he could have some value to a team that uses strong safeties, but with teams that are moving towards more of a center-fielder approach with their safeties, he probably wouldn't even be considered on the first day. I agree with you that he could have been a second rounder without the academic issues.

oh no, i agree he's much better suited for SS, but he seems to be talented enough to play FS if needed, which adds some value to him as a prospect

gameplaya2435
12-18-2008, 05:23 PM
Do you think he'll even bother going back to SC for the spring semester? Seems like he's lost all motivation for school, especially if football won't keep him around.

Yatta!
12-18-2008, 05:25 PM
+ Can possibly play cornerback

Really? That's the first time I've heard that suggestion.

Cigaro
12-18-2008, 05:26 PM
He'll be a good on the field player, but he does have off the field issues.

renegade
12-18-2008, 05:32 PM
Bob Sanders clone if you ask me, they are built the same way, they play the same way and they are both disruptive safties.

etk
12-18-2008, 05:33 PM
Have any of you guys actually seen Cook play? 4.6 40.....he's one of the most explosive athletes in the draft.

No way he should play corner either. His best attribute is his ability to fill quickly against the run.

I don't see how his academic issues affect anything. You don't need to be a studious academic to play football. You don't even need to be smart. Cook has the only smarts you need at the safety position, which is the ability to use your body like a hammer or a missile and hit everything that touches the ball with maximum force. Let's not forget that Reggie Nelson was a pretty high 1st round pick and he's not exactly Einstein.

I grade him as a top 20 pick, but I could see him falling to the 2nd. Bob Sanders was a 2nd round pick and that's who Cook reminds me of. Teams don't value safeties very highly and Cook is not that tall, not that fast and may be a character concern to some teams.

Also of note....the main reason his tackling numbers dipped, at least from my own sight, is that the SC defense improved and fewer plays leaked to his level. Last year when I watched them he made 5 tackles in a row in pursuit because his teammates couldn't stop anyone. This year they played more as a unit.

foozball
12-18-2008, 05:37 PM
Have any of you guys actually seen Cook play? 4.6 40.....he's one of the most explosive athletes in the draft.

No way he should play corner either. His best attribute is his ability to fill quickly against the run.

I don't see how his academic issues affect anything. You don't need to be a studious academic to play football. You don't even need to be smart. Cook has the only smarts you need at the safety position, which is the ability to use your body like a hammer or a missile and hit everything that touches the ball with maximum force. Let's not forget that Reggie Nelson was a pretty high 1st round pick and he's not exactly Einstein.

I grade him as a top 20 pick, but I could see him falling to the 2nd. Bob Sanders was a 2nd round pick and that's who Cook reminds me of. Teams don't value safeties very highly and Cook is not that tall, not that fast and may be a character concern to some teams.

Also of note....the main reason his tackling numbers dipped, at least from my own sight, is that the SC defense improved and fewer plays leaked to his level. Last year when I watched them he made 5 tackles in a row in pursuit because his teammates couldn't stop anyone. This year they played more as a unit.

its not his lack of intelligence that will lead him to drop, but the mere fact that he failed and didnt give the effort in the classroom that some scouts may question him.

etk
12-18-2008, 05:39 PM
its not his lack of intelligence that will lead him to drop, but the mere fact that he failed and didnt give the effort in the classroom that some scouts may question him.

It's all related to football. If he's a hard-working football player that studies film and trains hard...they won't care. If he's just generally lazy, there will be issues.

foozball
12-18-2008, 05:48 PM
if he's failing and skipping classes, its going to affect scout's judgment of his integrity as a person. especially in such a deep class of safeties, thats one more negative that could push him down the list and push other talented safeties above him

SuperKevin
12-18-2008, 05:50 PM
if he's failing and skipping classes, its going to affect scout's judgment of his integrity as a person. especially in such a deep class of safeties, thats one more negative that could push him down the list and push other talented safeties above him

The thing is it's a deep class in the middle with little depth at the top. Cook will slide in ahead of most of the safeties

Paranoidmoonduck
12-18-2008, 05:53 PM
oh no, i agree he's much better suited for SS, but he seems to be talented enough to play FS if needed, which adds some value to him as a prospect

Eh, he may be able to pull off FS in college, but I don't think he'd manage well at all as a FS in in pro ball.

LonghornsLegend
12-18-2008, 06:01 PM
He sounds like he has some character issues that will need to be addressed, but physically he looks the part and is very aggressive...I had him tabbed as a 2nd round guy but with the academic problems and character flaws I think he's a 3rd-4th round guy.

PACKmanN
12-18-2008, 06:10 PM
reminds me of Bigby with what I am reading.

SuperKevin
12-18-2008, 06:10 PM
reminds me of Bigby with what I am reading.

Except isn't Bigby huge?

Cigaro
12-18-2008, 06:49 PM
For those who don't know, he apparently quit mid semester. How he even lasted this long without being dismissed amazes me.

Yatta!
12-18-2008, 06:58 PM
Except isn't Bigby huge?

Bigby is listed as 5'11" and 213lbs, so he and Cook have similar size.

SuperKevin
12-18-2008, 07:21 PM
For those who don't know, he apparently quit mid semester. How he even lasted this long without being dismissed amazes me.

When I went to school I dropped all my classes after 3 weeks and they let me stay the entire semester and I'm just a normal person.