03-03-2007, 05:53 PM
he sgined a 2 year deal with the 49ers.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10033511

etk
03-03-2007, 05:59 PM
He is not the #1 WO they needed.

ks_perfection
03-03-2007, 05:59 PM
Remember when this idiot got so upset and decided to skip training camp when they traded for Walker because he felt like he was the best on the WR on the team.

JoeMontainya
03-03-2007, 06:01 PM
Lelie = Troy Williamson

Green Bay Scat
03-03-2007, 06:02 PM
Least he doesnt cost much

The Unseen
03-03-2007, 06:05 PM
The 49ers are taking a big bath in FA, that's for sure.

rocco31fb
03-03-2007, 06:06 PM
Dwayne Jarret is the #1.

locseti
03-03-2007, 06:10 PM
Wow, the niners are doing big thangs! I like Lelie and will give him one more year to prove himself.

Craigo
03-03-2007, 06:13 PM
2 years, 4.3mil

Still overpaid, I wouldn't pay that guy minimum wage. Hopefully they don't think this solves their WR problem, and they draft a top tier WR. Lelie can be behind battle at #3.

49erfaithful
03-03-2007, 06:17 PM
I guess stallworth is off the market for us then

Craigo
03-03-2007, 06:18 PM
I guess stallworth is off the market for us then
Dammit.
:(

ricky bobby
03-03-2007, 06:19 PM
49ers are extremely active this offseason, even though the FA market is weak.

fenikz
03-03-2007, 06:29 PM
49ers are extremely active this offseason, even though the FA market is weak.

not necessarily a good thing, could back fire and they could be left with below average players and no cap room`

49ersfan_87
03-03-2007, 06:36 PM
I dont really care what the damn price is, i hate ashley lelie. God. He better be easily cuttable.

ninerfan
03-03-2007, 06:39 PM
I dont really care what the damn price is, i hate ashley lelie. God. He better be easily cuttable.

I hear ya (10 characters- agh!!)

Go_Eagles77
03-03-2007, 06:40 PM
Stallworth would have been a much better pick up for them, while more expensive, that's one of the teams he has said he would have liked to play for since he's from Cali. Good news for me though, considering it is more likely than before that he will play for the team he wants to play for the most, the Eagles.

TheChampIsHere
03-03-2007, 07:08 PM
Id say solid signing. I dont really think Lelie is that much worse than Stallworth like some of you guys do, not that I think either of them are very good. Lelie is a good downfield receiver and vertical threat and after cutting Antonio Bryant, the 49ers needed that so it is a solid signing. I expect they go after a receiver in the draft sometime day 1 and hope he can be a number 1. Although truthfully I figure they are hoping Vernon Davis will be their no. 1 receiver.

BlindSite
03-03-2007, 07:13 PM
Dammit.
:(

He did play well in atlanta last year. He's a good WR, you'll see.

G_Money
03-03-2007, 07:56 PM
besides i believe Stallworth is asking for about 15-18 mill guaranteed. I will take Lelie at 2 mill guaranteed over that every day of the week.

Lelie has 1 job, stretch the field and catch vertical passes, i think he can do that in this system.

The niners will still be drafting a WR in round 1 or 2 to be their #1....

omecool20
03-03-2007, 08:13 PM
Lelie is a risky pick. After his rookie year, he went downhill from there. Dang ! Mabe 49er legend, Jerry Rice, can knock some sense into him.

Chucky
03-03-2007, 08:14 PM
he could be a passable number guy i guess, better than anything else they have

Man_Of_Steel
03-03-2007, 08:32 PM
Its a good pickup, after losing Bryant signing Lelie is a logical move.

Smooth Criminal
03-03-2007, 08:43 PM
Not the reciever they needed but still an upgrade.

They've really helped this team signing Clements, Lewis and now Lelie.

Grizzlegom
03-03-2007, 10:23 PM
i think this is a good signing, he is finally getting out of the WCO and i think he will surprise people now that he is back in an offense that fits his skills better.

Caddy
03-03-2007, 10:30 PM
I actually think he can be a reliable deep threat. He isn't costing much so I don't see why the signing is a problem. It isn't like San Fran is deep at WR anyway.

BlindSite
03-03-2007, 11:08 PM
I actually think he can be a reliable deep threat. He isn't costing much so I don't see why the signing is a problem. It isn't like San Fran is deep at WR anyway.

Not only that but its not like you can give Alex Smith enough weapons as he develops.

Chucky
03-03-2007, 11:43 PM
he cam pretty cheap

princefielder28
03-04-2007, 12:44 AM
He pretty much fixs all their receiver problems

HAHA

Larry
03-04-2007, 01:23 AM
I like it, if anyone can get something out Lelie it will be Jerry Sullivan. Now if the niners can get a guy like Sidney Rice or Robert Meacham at 42 there Wr corp would be settled.

HawkeyeFan
03-04-2007, 02:06 AM
Man I wanted him too! We got Drew Bennett so I'm not mad :)

Nice signing though San Fran!

TheChampIsHere
03-04-2007, 02:08 AM
I like it, if anyone can get something out Lelie it will be Jerry Sullivan. Now if the niners can get a guy like Sidney Rice or Robert Meacham at 42 there Wr corp would be settled.

yes exactly, Meachem or Rice would be good additions. Maybe Jason Hill? I feel like they could go for Moss or Spencer also with their 2nd rounder and maybe try to get a WR round 3. Im convinced they take Carriker round 1. Maybe if they can get a Joey Porter or another LB (Banta Cain? Edwards?) in FA, they can just focus on WR with their 2nd rounder.

jth1331
03-04-2007, 03:00 AM
I think Ashley is an all right guy, but I also hate him because he made a stupid dumbass move. The reason he was holding out was because he wanted to start, and he didn't think he would start, with the Broncos having Rod Smith already and then trading for Javon Walker. Guess he is afraid of a little competition. Plus, he thought of himself as a #1 WR, which is NOT true, oh my god is it not true.
He, basically, wanted to start so he could get a big payday this free agency, which didn't happen. I'm happy he netted the Broncos a 3rd round pick though, but man, it probably would've turned out better for him if he stayed, played, and probably would've posted decent numbers, and got a better contract.
Like some other Bronco fans have said, he is a one trick pony. Have him run streaks and chuck it up hoping he comes down with it.
I will say I think it is a decent signing for San Fran, he is relatively cheap and, although all he can do is catch a deep pass, he is good at it. Nonexistent in the red zone though...

binary
03-04-2007, 03:07 AM
This is a GREAT signing, look at how much Welker and Bennett signed for. I was totally against signing Michael Lewis for that much, but this makes up for it. They get a deep threat for 1/6 the amount it would cost for Stallworth. Nice job.

sup3rk1ng
03-04-2007, 05:36 AM
I think Ashley is an all right guy, but I also hate him because he made a stupid dumbass move. The reason he was holding out was because he wanted to start, and he didn't think he would start, with the Broncos having Rod Smith already and then trading for Javon Walker. Guess he is afraid of a little competition. Plus, he thought of himself as a #1 WR, which is NOT true, oh my god is it not true.
He, basically, wanted to start so he could get a big payday this free agency, which didn't happen. I'm happy he netted the Broncos a 3rd round pick though, but man, it probably would've turned out better for him if he stayed, played, and probably would've posted decent numbers, and got a better contract.
Like some other Bronco fans have said, he is a one trick pony. Have him run streaks and chuck it up hoping he comes down with it.
I will say I think it is a decent signing for San Fran, he is relatively cheap and, although all he can do is catch a deep pass, he is good at it. Nonexistent in the red zone though...

That's pretty much what he's signed for. We're a run first team now, and run alot of playactions, so this should be the perfect offense for his skill set. It's a low risk, high reward type of signing, imo.

Btw, this still leaves us with somewhere between 23-26 mill in cap space. Just a heads up for those that are wondering.

eaglesalltheway
03-04-2007, 09:02 AM
Lelie = Troy Williamson

IMO, Lelie<Williamson

jth1331
03-04-2007, 10:55 AM
IMO, Lelie<Williamson

Please, tell me how Williamson is better than Lelie when Williamson has yet to post a season with 500 yards receiving, 40 catches or more than 2 touchdowns.

Craigo
03-04-2007, 11:00 AM
Like some other Bronco fans have said, he is a one trick pony. Have him run streaks and chuck it up hoping he comes down with it.Exactly. A poor mans Antonio Bryant.

Geo
03-04-2007, 11:15 AM
I think this is a great signing by the San Francisco 49ers, and Ashley Lelie to an extent. The 49ers get a young, talented veteran to bolster their painfully-thin ranks at that position, and Lelie gets the full opportunity he's wanted for so long to show his wares - more than just a deep-ball threat, a number one receiver, etcetera. If Lelie plays well in the process, he'll get an extension just as Walt Harris did after initially signing a reasonably cheap 2-year contract.

The San Francisco 49ers have really done some job in this free agency period. The only move I didn't like was the Michael Lewis signing, but everything else was great imo (Lelie and Aubrayo Franklin, NT from Baltimore, especially).

Craigo
03-04-2007, 12:19 PM
I think this is a great signing by the San Francisco 49ers, and Ashley Lelie to an extent. The 49ers get a young, talented veteran to bolster their painfully-thin ranks at that position, and Lelie gets the full opportunity he's wanted for so long to show his wares - more than just a deep-ball threat, a number one receiver, etcetera. If Lelie plays well in the process, he'll get an extension just as Walt Harris did after initially signing a reasonably cheap 2-year contract.I think you're expecting too much out of Lelie. I don't think they brought him here to prove himself and be more than just a deep threat. I think they brought him here to be exactly that, just a role player, and a #3 WR.

We dont want Lelie trying to make any cuts here... Lelie has one direction. Watching him try to run a proper route is painful.

Larry
03-04-2007, 12:35 PM
Lelie will be our deep threat Wr, Battle will be our Possesion Wr. Now all we need is that Wr who will give us the Yac. Of course Vernon Davis will help out in that department also. But we should grab a Wr who can do it.

TheChampIsHere
03-05-2007, 01:29 PM
You guys are ripping the 49ers for the Michael Lewis signing, but if you look at the 49ers defense and the way they use their safeties, I think Michael Lewis will ressurect his career in SF. Its a good fit I think.

Shiver
03-05-2007, 01:52 PM
The same Ashley Lelie who was owned by Fred Thomas...

SanFran
03-05-2007, 02:58 PM
Ashley Lelie Was signed but only to a 2 yr deal which means he basically has to prove himself if his good enough to be the #1 guy for the 49ers,yes his a deep threat but also a upgrade over inconsistent Antonio Bryant..as far as Nate And Michael goo ,as everyone new niners did hav the worst secondary in NFL for the past two yrs ,so that was definately needed with all the goodass WR we hav in our division torching us which wont happen no more.

Craigo
03-05-2007, 03:07 PM
Ashley Lelie Was signed but only to a 2 yr deal which means he basically has to prove himself if his good enough to be the #1 guy for the 49ers,yes his a deep threat but also a upgrade over inconsistent Antonio Bryant..as far as Nate And Michael goo ,as everyone new niners did hav the worst secondary in NFL for the past two yrs ,so that was definately needed with all the goodass WR we hav in our division torching us which wont happen no more.

Theres no way in hell Lelie is an upgrade over Bryant. He's not even an upgrade over Battle. Guys, this IS NOT a signing to find a #1 WR. It's to add to the depth. You pay a guy 2mil/year to try to fight into the starting lineup, which Lelie will fail to do.

Shiver
03-05-2007, 03:09 PM
If you guys have him run 'posts' or 'go' routes every single play, then good signing. If you require him to run good routes, play in the middle, or in the red-zone, prepare to be disappointed.

Denver Bronco99
03-05-2007, 03:14 PM
see people seem to forget lelie was actually comming on very strong. I have a hilight video where HE DESTORYS the radiers 2 years ago...running slants and posts....he is good when he wants to be....

Larry
03-05-2007, 03:19 PM
Theres no way in hell Lelie is an upgrade over Bryant. He's not even an upgrade over Battle. Guys, this IS NOT a signing to find a #1 WR. It's to add to the depth. You pay a guy 2mil/year to try to fight into the starting lineup, which Lelie will fail to do.

Please, besides the first two games Bryant disappeared the rest of the season.

Shiver
03-05-2007, 03:22 PM
Please, besides the first two games Bryant disappeared the rest of the season.

Sounds just like Lelie to me. Only Bryant has been more productive than Lelie. The only advantages Lelie has over Bryant is off the field, where Bryant has that DUI suspension looming over his head, and is a locker room cancer. Lelie has only had one good year. Even in '04, that one year, he only had a catch % of 53.5.

Craigo
03-05-2007, 03:26 PM
Probably because he was suspended.

Ashley Lelie disappeared for a whole year.

Larry
03-05-2007, 03:29 PM
Probably because he was suspended.

Ashley Lelie disappeared for a whole year.

No surprise considering Mike Vick is a terrible pocket passer, almost the worst in the league.

Craigo
03-05-2007, 03:31 PM
The guy couldn't even break into the starting lineup for the Falcons... THE FALCONS!

He's even more inconsistent than Michael Jenkins and Roddy White. That hurts.

Shiver
03-05-2007, 03:33 PM
The guy couldn't even break into the starting lineup for the Falcons... THE FALCONS!

He's even more inconsistent than Michael Jenkins and Roddy White. That hurts.

Something like that. It's probably because we didn't conform to his only talent like Denver did, and made him *gasp* run routes and play inside. Towards the end of the season, he was phased out of the offense. As he too caught the dropsies.

Craigo
03-05-2007, 03:36 PM
Something like that. It's probably because we didn't conform to his only talent, and made him *gasp* run routes and play physical.
Well theres your problem. Lelie has the inability to make a cut.

Larry
03-05-2007, 03:49 PM
Well theres your problem. Lelie has the inability to make a cut.

Stop acting like a douche, Lelie will be a solid contributer to the niners.

Craigo
03-05-2007, 03:53 PM
Stop acting like a douche, Lelie will be a solid contributer to the niners.Thats what they thought in Atlanta too.
Im not acting like a douche. It's almost half the contract Dennis Northcutt got. .. Dennis Northcutt!! You don't pay a guy 2mil/year to be your #1WR.

Battle is a better reciever. Lelie will be lucky to start.

Larry
03-05-2007, 05:24 PM
Thats what they thought in Atlanta too.

Two reasons and one which I've already explained. Mike Vick is a terrible pocket passer. The guy pretty much looks at his first read which will most likely will be Alge Crumpler and if his first read is not there Vick will take off running. Vick never goes through his full progressions like a good pocket passer is supposed to.

Second reason is Ashley Lelie is not West Coast Offense Wr. A Typical WCO Wr is a guy who gives you yards after the catch because the WCO is a more precised short passing offense. Lelie is a deep threat Wr who will scretch the field which is exactly what you need in the Coryell offense the 49ers run.

Shiver
03-05-2007, 05:29 PM
Two reasons and one which I've had already explained. Mike Vick is a terrible pocket passer. The guy pretty much looks at his first read which will most likely be Alge Crumpler and if his first read is not there Vick will take off running. Vick never goes through his full progressions like a good pocket passer is supposed to.

Targets:

White - 64
Jenkins - 83
Lelie - 68
Crumpler - 103

Pretty well spread out for "1 read and go." Maybe it was because Crumpler was the only reliable receiver he had? All of them had dropsies down the stretch, Crumpler included. Not only that, Lelie was out muscled in every 'me or him' situation with the ball in the air. He was the same way in Denver, of which I saw plenty of him because of where I live. He has always had an awful catch %, with every team he's been on. His slight decline in performance was due to volume, playing time and passes, in '06. Since when did all these 49ers fans become Lelie fans? Oh yeah, when their team signed him. I respect Craigo for actually not showing the characteristics of a sheep. He is a decent signing, but besides '04, he hasn't been very good. He isn't an upgrade over Antonio Bryant, on the field that is.

Stash
03-05-2007, 08:40 PM
How long are ATL fans gonna blame the receivers before they wake up?

nyjetsguy27
03-06-2007, 07:56 AM
good move... they need WRs desperately

cov1963
03-06-2007, 08:41 AM
Realese Bryant and Sign Lelie ??????????

Craigo
03-06-2007, 11:11 AM
Realese Bryant and Sign Lelie ??????????

Less money, less problems, but less talent. Same type of reciever though. Only less physical.

Don't get me wrong, I like the signing... but he's a #3.

And about Mike Vick somehow causing recievers to drop open passes ALL THE TIME, two works: come on.

Theres a big difference between missing guys and dropping passes, this is why Vicks percentage is low. Crumpler made the pro bowl, and that guy probably dropped more passes than any tight end in the league. Jerramy Stevens included. But his numbers were high because Vick found him in the endzone with great passes every game. Watch the games. It's not Vicks fault most of the time.

You could probably make a good highlight video of Crumpler, Lelie, White and Jenkins dropping pass after pass. And you could probably put a good 'circus' theme song in the background too, if one was so inclined.

Addict
03-06-2007, 12:11 PM
How long are ATL fans gonna blame the receivers before they wake up?

Let's see... Vick is... 26... let's say he plays until he's... thirty-three or thirty-four. I say 7 to 8 years.

Larry
03-06-2007, 12:11 PM
Targets:

White - 64
Jenkins - 83
Lelie - 68
Crumpler - 103

Pretty well spread out for "1 read and go." Maybe it was because Crumpler was the only reliable receiver he had? All of them had dropsies down the stretch, Crumpler included. Not only that, Lelie was out muscled in every 'me or him' situation with the ball in the air. He was the same way in Denver, of which I saw plenty of him because of where I live. He has always had an awful catch %, with every team he's been on. His slight decline in performance was due to volume, playing time and passes, in '06. Since when did all these 49ers fans become Lelie fans? Oh yeah, when their team signed him. I respect Craigo for actually not showing the characteristics of a sheep. He is a decent signing, but besides '04, he hasn't been very good.

He isn't an upgrade over Antonio Bryant, on the field that is.

And your just basing that off the one bad year he had with the falcons. After he missed all the the OTA's, Mini Camps and all of training camp. I'm sure Bryant would of struggled with the niners also had he been brought to the team that late. It's hard to get on the same page with a QB when no continuity and timing are devloped in the offseason, especially for a poor pocket passer like Vick.