PDA

View Full Version : Next Head Coach?

NIN1984
12-20-2008, 11:37 AM
Head Coaching candidates

Tom Cable, Wants to keep the job.

Jim Fassel, Openly wants to coach the Raiders.

Kevin Gilbride, Rumored to be #1 on Al's list.

Todd Haley, Chris Mortensen reported on ESPN that Al Davis could interview Cards offensive coordinator Todd Haley.

Winston Moss, Packers LB coach interviewed for Head Coaching job or for DC, not so sure.

Don Martindale, Raiders LB coach had a 2 hour interview with Al Davis and it was reported it went extremely well. Now its being reported Martindale is not being looked at as Head Coach.

Jeremy Bates, Was rumored to be interviewed for OC but now it appears he will only interview for Head Coach job.

Abaddon
12-20-2008, 06:30 PM
Won't matter. Al is still the coach, regardless of what empty suit we put on the sideline.

bernbabybern820
12-20-2008, 08:13 PM
We need a disciplinarian to stop these dumb plays and penalties.

RaiderNation
12-20-2008, 08:53 PM
Kevin Gilbride, Al Saunders and Mike Tice sound like decent coaches. All have good expirence and been a head coach before.

Abaddon
12-21-2008, 06:03 AM
Nine of the 3 were any good at it, though.

RaiderNation
12-30-2008, 01:35 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/12/30/SPL5150KEB.DTL
Raiders owner Al Davis will begin interviewing candidates this week, a team source confirmed Monday.
The list is expected to include Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride, Raiders advance scout Paul Hackett and Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh, according to team sources.
Former Giants coach Jim Fassel has openly lobbied for the job and went so far as to send Davis a letter expressing his interest.
As usual, Davis will decide the next coach, and "he wants to move quickly," club spokesman John Herrera said.
Interim coach Tom Cable remains very much in play after finishing the 5-11 season with two straight victories, two sources said on the condition of anonymity.

My list from these coaches
1 Gilbride
2 Cable
3 Harbaugh
4 Fassel
5 Hackett

It also seems the players really want Cable as the coach.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
12-30-2008, 01:39 PM
can i be the coach ?????

Prowler
12-31-2008, 09:00 AM
shanny is available now lol

Loggerhead
12-31-2008, 07:06 PM
Lane Kiffen FTW!!!!

chapo123
01-01-2009, 02:28 PM
i think fassell and maybe bringing in al saunders or greg olsen as oc would help oak out.

Dark Knight01
01-07-2009, 12:33 AM
My favorites

1. Harbaugh
2. Hue Jackson
3. Cable
4. Fassel

No to Gilbride, No to Martz, No to Dennis Green and anyother retread who just wants to collect there last big paycheck before they retire. Fassel at least would have something to offer still.

Dark Knight01
01-08-2009, 01:50 PM
Head Coaching candidates

Tom Cable - Wants to keep the job.

Jim Fassel - Openly wants to coach the Raiders.

Kevin Gilbride - Rumored to be #1 on Al's list.

Todd Haley - Chris Mortensen reported on ESPN that Al Davis could interview Cards offensive coordinator Todd Haley.

James Lofton - Almost got the job in 07, will most likely interview.

Jim Harbaugh - Will most likely stay at Standford.

Hue Jackson - Ravens QB coach is the newest name in the mix.

I'm hearing the next coach is going to be Gilbride or Cable.

Rumor has it that Davis spoke with Gilbride over the phone for an hour and a half last Saturday. He wanted to know who Gilbride would bring from the coaching staff in NY if he was hired and and he also wanted to see if Gilbride would keep Cable as his assistant head coach/O-Line coach. Cable would also help Gilbride with the evaluation of the team, since Cable would know. Gilbride supposedly would accept Cable as his assistant head coach/O-Line coach.

Supposedly Gilbride will try and bring one of the position coaches from the defense if he is hired as HC. Most likely Mike Waufle, the D-Line coach who was also D-Line coach for the Raiders during the Gruden years I believe.

Hence why the old man has let most of the assistant coaches leave before there contract is up next week. Rathman (unfortunately) going to Niners, Knapp (predictably) left to Seattle and Rob Ryan (thank god) is going to be hired on by Mangini in Cleveland as his DC. The special teams coach Brien Schneider is interviewing in J-Ville and may interview in Seattle. I would have liked to see Rathman and Schneider stick around along with Cable but oh well.

We'll see if this all plays out.....

RaiderNation
01-08-2009, 02:05 PM

Rumor has it that Davis spoke with Gilbride over the phone for an hour and a half last Saturday. He wanted to know who Gilbride would bring from the coaching staff in NY if he was hired and and he also wanted to see if Gilbride would keep Cable as his assistant head coach/O-Line coach. Cable would also help Gilbride with the evaluation of the team, since Cable would know. Gilbride supposedly would accept Cable as his assistant head coach/O-Line coach.

Supposedly Gilbride will try and bring one of the position coaches from the defense if he is hired as HC. Most likely Mike Waufle, the D-Line coach who was also D-Line coach for the Raiders during the Gruden years I believe.

Hence why the old man has let most of the assistant coaches leave before there contract is up next week. Rathman (unfortunately) going to Niners, Knapp (predictably) left to Seattle and Rob Ryan (thank god) is going to be hired on by Mangini in Cleveland as his DC. The special teams coach Brien Schneider is interviewing in J-Ville and may interview in Seattle. I would have liked to see Rathman and Schneider stick around along with Cable but oh well.

I would love to have Gilbride bring coaches from the giants. If we could get that dline coach of theres it would help us greatly since the dline has been our biggest problem on defense. Also we get to keep Cable as our oline coach is good since he has good a pretty good job there.

Stash
01-08-2009, 02:19 PM
I definitely wouldn't have considered Gilbride before, but if all that is true then it sounds like he may be able to bring some good pieces with him.

Dark Knight01
01-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Gilbride isn't my top choice.....Harbaugh would be my guy.

I have to admit though that Gilbride has done a good job with Manning and the G-Mens efficient offense in NY.

He would bring a winning attitude, experience and confidence. Lets hope he has learned from mistakes he made in San Diego, which I'm sure he has since he has been in NY under Coughlin.

The offensive line would maintain some continuity with Cable staying and the ZBS system would be kept but tweaked a bit by Gilbride. Contrary to popular belief, the Giants do not run just a straight up man to man power blocking system 100% of the time. Many of their run plays are actually ZONE power blocking schemes.

Plus Gilbride has been a solid play caller throughout his career overall.

The G-Men utilize a 3 back system and the Raiders have a 3 solid backs with a QB who needs to develop.

If this occurs then lets hope Waufle comes onboard as DC. He can bring that aggressive 4-3 base that utilizes blitzes (unlike Rob Ryan) and utilizes stunts, disguises coverages and blitz packages that he has hopefully learned from Spags who learned from the great Jim Johnson. Waufle also is from California and he still owns a home here.

Dark Knight01
01-08-2009, 02:49 PM
I definitely wouldn't have considered Gilbride before, but if all that is true then it sounds like he may be able to bring some good pieces with him.

Yeah, the winning pieces hopefully.....

Abaddon
01-08-2009, 11:43 PM
So, Gilbride will have to re-write his offense around Cable's blocking scheme. Yeah, that's got clusterf#ck written all over it.

01-08-2009, 11:52 PM

That's actually not too bad, I hate to see Rathman and Schneider leave, but it's something you would expect, especially if he's able to bring the right guys over from the Giants. I'm very interested to see how Gilbride / Cable would coincide on the offensive side of the ball given the different philosophies.

Menardo75
01-09-2009, 12:03 AM
Is there a reason why Tom Cable has not earned the job or is this just Al being Al.

01-09-2009, 12:17 AM
Is there a reason why Tom Cable has not earned the job or is this just Al being Al.

I think he's earned the job, but it's really hard to ever keep Al satisfied and he's always looking for ways to improve the team although they almost never do work lol.

Menardo75
01-09-2009, 12:18 AM
I think he's earned the job, but it's really hard to ever keep Al satisfied and he's always looking for ways to improve the team although they almost never do work lol.

Haha yeah I definitely think he earned it, atleast they want to keep him on the staff.

bernbabybern820
01-10-2009, 10:08 PM
My coaching wishlist:

1. Todd Haley
2. Jim Harbaugh
3. Jim Fassel
4. Tom Cable

locseti
01-14-2009, 05:50 PM
I was watching NFL Network's Total Access and Nnamdi was on. They eventually got around to talking about Cable and the job he did the last two games, and Nnamdi said all the players really respect Coach Cable. he stressed that Cable walked into a TERRIBLE situation and really started to get things turned around at the end, how he had never really been a part of that culture in Oakland. It really is the best we have looked since the super bowl, and I don't see any positives in bringing in a fresh face and starting right back at one brian mcknight style. No reason to start over if we're making progress, and Cable was even calling the plays. He deserves the job, we just have to find some decent coordinators.

RaiderNation
01-14-2009, 07:32 PM
I hope we hire Cable. All the players seem to want him to stay( includes Aso and we need to sign him) and he has shown that he can call plays. We need to find a DC that likes to blitz LB's so we can get more pressure on the QB. Hopefully we can land a NT like Brace in round 3. That would help our D ALOT

garethjwelsh
01-15-2009, 06:44 AM
I can't make up my mind about this coachi situation. On the one hand Cable did get us playing really well on offense the last two games, i don't think we can underestimate that.

On the other hand he did seem to chronically under use McFadden at times last year.. maybe DMAC isn't actually as good as people seem to think he is.

I think the major reason to keep Cable is the work he has done on the Offensive line the past few years, if Cable leaves there is no telling what sort of offensive system we will be using, if we don't go with a ZBS then we will have to completly remkae the entire line, which will be painful.

I think Cable has probably done enough to earn the job, but the way things are progressing I think Al is lining up Gilbride to take over, which slightly worries me, he had a great offensive line, 3 good backs, and yet when the no 1 wide receiver went down his offence stalled somewhat. and we definitely do not have a receiver of Buress' ability.

Donno
01-16-2009, 02:24 AM
I hope we hire Cable. All the players seem to want him to stay( includes Aso and we need to sign him) and he has shown that he can call plays. We need to find a DC that likes to blitz LB's so we can get more pressure on the QB. Hopefully we can land a NT like Brace in round 3. That would help our D ALOT

Spags would rule but I doubt it

ChefMike
01-18-2009, 08:44 AM
Bring in Kirk Frentz to coach the Offensive Line, let Hue Jackson run the O and bring in someone that is seasoned to coach the D like Dom Capers if the Giants don't sign him. That would go a LOOONNNNGGG way to quieting the haters of the Raiders... and give the young talent you have some Great Coaching to help make them better...

NIN1984
01-18-2009, 11:29 AM
As of right now I think its going to be..

HC - Tom Cable
DC - Don Martindale

I have no idea who we can get as OC, Bates won't come to Oakland so that's disappointing. I don't know who its going to be but its a very important hire.

bernbabybern820
01-18-2009, 07:28 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3842703

Sources: Oakland Raiders' Don Martindale could get top job - ESPN

01-18-2009, 07:38 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3842703

Sources: Oakland Raiders' Don Martindale could get top job - ESPN

Someone with a defensive background on our staff no less getting consideration for the top job, damn. This may be partly a protective measure in case we lose him to one of those listed teams also interested in him. I'm still kinda hoping Cable gets the job, but it's looking less likely now.

Abaddon
01-19-2009, 01:33 AM
http://www.ibabuzz.com/raidersblog/2009/01/18/raiders-martindale-not-an-hc-interview/

“Michael Smith’s story is totally untrue. Once again, ESPN has chosen to air something that has no basis in fact. It is true that Mr. Davis met with Don Martindale for a couple of hours, but it had nothing to do with becoming the head coach,” Raiders senior executive John Herrera said.

“We think highly of Don Martindale. He had a 2 1/2-hour interview with Mr. Davis that entered on the defense.”

That's my Raiders.

bernbabybern820
01-19-2009, 01:05 PM
I have a feeling that we are only waiting on Todd Haley and that its between him and Cable.

locseti
01-19-2009, 05:34 PM
I have a feeling that we are only waiting on Todd Haley and that its between him and Cable.

Well if it's between them two, I'd prefer Haley but I doubt he wants to come here. If he's out of the equation, just hire Cable already, Talk Martindale into staying as D coordinator and find us an O coordinator.

locseti
01-20-2009, 10:06 PM
I think we might be waiting on Haley, which kind of sucks, not having a coach in place for the Senior Bowl.

bernbabybern820
01-22-2009, 10:01 PM
Looks like Linehan is going to get an interview for OC in a few days.

locseti
01-23-2009, 12:53 PM
Cable and Linehan have a past, and Linehan is the fan of the downfield passing attack. I bet he gets hired, i think he's a decent coordinator, and would be better than Al Saunders. So I'm OK with it.

Stash
01-23-2009, 03:19 PM
I'd take Linehan over Saunders as well. I'm not a big fan of Saunders, he gets all this hype as being a great o-coordinator but I seem to remember his last couple of teams not having much success on offense and his playbooks have been described as large and hard to learn.

RBolyar2
01-26-2009, 07:18 PM
Everyone seems to be jumping on this Todd Haley bandwagon...

Has there been any official rumors outside of a few ESPN brains saying there's interest?

Donno
01-27-2009, 01:00 AM
Man I hate Cable. I really hope Gilbride gets the job.

Abaddon
01-27-2009, 07:10 AM
Why do you hate Cable?

Even more, why are you hoping for Gilbride of all people? He demonstrated nothing positive as a HC the last time around. Some guys are just meant to be coordinators.

Kurve
01-27-2009, 11:46 AM
damn al is a headcase he always waits to the last minute to pick a coach what a wack job.