PDA

View Full Version : RB Gartrell Johnson, Colorado State

sbh15
12-20-2008, 05:24 PM
Ran for 285 and 2 touchdowns today against Fresno and looks to be a pretty solid back. Has good size at 6' 0", 225 lbs... just wondering what you guys think of him as an NFL propsect.

SuperKevin
12-20-2008, 05:28 PM
Ran for 285 and 2 touchdowns today against Fresno and looks to be a pretty solid back. Has good size at 6' 0", 225 lbs... just wondering what you guys think of him as an NFL propsect.

Looks pretty slow. I'd be shocked if he's faster than 4.65 in the 40.

Cigaro
12-20-2008, 05:34 PM
Powerback, or fullback.

GB12
12-20-2008, 05:57 PM
Powerback, or fullback.
He is not a fullback. I hate how people always want to move powerbacks or slow RBs to fullback.

Cigaro
12-20-2008, 06:08 PM
He is not a fullback. I hate how people always want to move powerbacks or slow RBs to fullback.

Really? Because Colorado State disagrees;

Despite not starting and playing mostly fullback over the season's first five games, finished sixth in the conference by averaging 79.8 rushing yards per contest

That's from 2007.

I hate how people always comment without knowing the full situation.

GB12
12-20-2008, 06:32 PM
I stand by what I said, he is not an NFL fullback. Maybe if you want to use him in a less traditional role he could, but then that'd be more of just a two RB set anyway.

Shane P. Hallam
12-20-2008, 06:36 PM
I stand by what I said, he is not an NFL fullback. Maybe if you want to use him in a less traditional role he could, but then that'd be more of just a two RB set anyway.

Most teams are past the traditional fullback now. I imagine IF he gets drafted, he'll be thought of by the time as Hester. Can be a RB or FB. Though, I'm going to take a guess he doesn't get drafted at all.

rfc17
12-21-2008, 01:48 PM
just because someone plays FB in college doesnt mean they can play FB in the pro's. the same reason why some who play DE in college cant play DE in the pro's. different size requirements.

Gartrell is listed about 5'10 225 or such right? he'll have to put on about 15-20 pounds to be a legitimate FB.

SuperKevin
12-21-2008, 01:50 PM
just because someone plays FB in college doesnt mean they can play FB in the pro's. the same reason why some who play DE in college cant play DE in the pro's. different size requirements.

Gartrell is listed about 5'10 225 or such right? he'll have to put on about 15-20 pounds to be a legitimate FB.

There's no such thing as a legit FB in the NFL these days.

ThePudge
12-21-2008, 01:51 PM
Since the days of the traditional full-back are coming to an end, I would not be shocked. Johnson will likely go undrafted though, as he will likely run in the 4.75-4.80 range. Unless he does that a bit closer to 235, he'll likely be an UDFA.

Was a good college player though.

rfc17
12-21-2008, 02:00 PM

Lorenzo Neal, Greg Jones, etc... sure there are.

SuperKevin
12-21-2008, 02:01 PM
Lorenzo Neal, Greg Jones, etc... sure there are.

Neal is done. Greg Jones is more of a big RB

Smokey Joe
12-21-2008, 02:06 PM
Neal is done. Greg Jones is more of a big RB
I wouldn't say Neal is done... He is still pancaking anyone who gets in his way. I forgot who it was yesterday, but Neal pretty much drove him through the ground.

Menardo75
12-21-2008, 07:00 PM
His big day was more a product of Colorado St dominating up front than anything.

TACKLE
12-21-2008, 08:35 PM
Gartell runs hard. He reminds me a lot of Tim Hightower and I think he could be used in a similar role.

GB12
12-21-2008, 09:17 PM
Off the top of my head I would consider the following real fullbacks

Mike Sellers
John Kuhn
Jason Mckie
Jon Bradley
Korey Hall
Ovie Mughelli
Vonta Leach
Darian Barnes
Jeremi Johnson

middlelinebacker54
12-21-2008, 09:53 PM
Gartrell Johnson reminds me a lot of a poor mans Steven Jackson. i think he deserves to be drafted in the middle rounds although i doubt he will be drafted until the seventh round if at all. Although Gartrell Johnson probably only runs about a 4.6 in the forty, he is extremely powerful and has a great burst along with great feet so he should make for a good pro. He should at the very least be a good change of pace back but I wouldnt be surprised at all if he ended updeveloping into a solid starter. speed is just so overrated for halfbacks.

jessekopplin77
12-21-2008, 09:53 PM
Says he is listed at 6' 225 lbs, but for some reason he looked smaller then that. I will admit he has been a productive RB, but I don't think he has the speed to be successful in the nfl. However, he will be scouted and looked at more thouroughly then what I have seen. If he runs a sub-par 4.5, which I don't think he can run that fast, the highest I could see him going is 5th round. If he runs a slow 40, then expect him to go undrafted, but signed to a practice squad right away.

Gartrell Johnson_(6' 225 lbs)
NFL Outlook(best/worst)__(Goal Line Situation/P. Squad)

jayceheathman
12-21-2008, 09:58 PM
Gartrell Johnson reminds me a lot of a poor mans Steven Jackson. i think he deserves to be drafted in the middle rounds although i doubt he will be drafted until the seventh round if at all. Although Gartrell Johnson probably only runs about a 4.6 in the forty, he is extremely powerful and has a great burst along with great feet so he should make for a good pro. He should at the very least be a good change of pace back but I wouldnt be surprised at all if he ended updeveloping into a solid starter. speed is just so overrated for halfbacks.

Thank you someone agrees with me. I was getting made fun of in the Bowl Game thread for saying that same thing.

middlelinebacker54
12-21-2008, 10:05 PM
yeah exactly. i mean there are plenty of runningbacks in the NFL without great speed yet are still good. Emmitt Smith was one of the greatest runningbacks ever yet he only ran a 4.6 forty so obviously game speed and other intangibles factor into grading a runningback prospect.

niel89
12-22-2008, 03:29 AM
I wouldn't say Neal is done... He is still pancaking anyone who gets in his way. I forgot who it was yesterday, but Neal pretty much drove him through the ground.

Neal isnt done. he is still playing pretty well. im sure san diego wishes they still had him.