PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys & Ravens are 2 more examples how RB is deepest position in football

Halsey
12-20-2008, 08:35 PM
The Cowboys and Ravens show why it's generally better to take RB's after the first round. There are many talented running backs out there that can produce in the NFL. So many teams in the NFL now go 3 deep with RB's who are capable of running for 100 yards in a given game. Some RB's are worth first rounders, but most first round RB's are no better than guys getting taken in the 2nd through fourth. It's much harder to find a good QB, pass rusher, OT, DT, CB or Safety than to find a good RB. If my team needed a RB, the only guy I would want them to consider in the first round is Wells.

GB12
12-20-2008, 08:43 PM
And both teams have a first round runningback...

BeerBaron
12-20-2008, 09:08 PM
And both teams have a first round runningback...

And.....one is on IR for the Cowboys and one is losing carries to a former FB and a former 2nd rounder in Baltimore, and is likely on his way out after the season.

Abaddon
12-21-2008, 06:00 AM
I concur. Taking a RB in the top half of Rd1 is questionable at best when similar talent at need positions is available.

coordinator0
12-21-2008, 02:27 PM
And.....one is on IR for the Cowboys and one is losing carries to a former FB and a former 2nd rounder in Baltimore, and is likely on his way out after the season.

McGahee's not on his way out unless he's traded, it would count more vs. the cap if he was released than if he stayed on the team.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
12-21-2008, 02:38 PM
yea mcgahee is not going anywhere unless we trade him. but who knows he might get healthy this offseason and beast

Staubach12
12-21-2008, 04:45 PM
It's about blocking.

coordinator0
12-21-2008, 05:17 PM
I agree Staubach12, both of the big runs for the Ravens last night were the result of great blocking and most of Dallas' were too.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
12-21-2008, 05:43 PM
yea blocking of course but you have to find the holes as a running back and mcgahee has not been doing that this year

Bengals78
12-21-2008, 06:13 PM
Denver is the proof blocking matters. For a long time it seemed like any RB could get 1000 yds there. But no so much anymore w/o the blocking.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
12-21-2008, 06:16 PM
yea and not picking on the bengals or nothing but i see your a bengals fan you know more than most that you can have all the air weapons and still not be a good team because you can not set up the pass without the run .

regoob2
12-21-2008, 06:46 PM
It's about blocking.
Id personally only go RB in round 1 if you already have a good OL.

Menardo75
12-21-2008, 06:58 PM
It's about blocking.

I think the two long TD runs were more Dallas refusing to tackle then great blocking.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
12-21-2008, 07:06 PM
I think the two long TD runs were more Dallas refusing to tackle then great blocking.

no one is tackling mclain by his thigh with one hand so that was all blocking

and mcgahee got an awesome block when then cowboys brought the house and he got off a foot tackle so it was def all blocking

Menardo75
12-21-2008, 07:27 PM
no one is tackling mclain by his thigh with one hand so that was all blocking

and mcgahee got an awesome block when then cowboys brought the house and he got off a foot tackle so it was def all blocking

Are you serious three guys had a shot at Mcgahee on his TD, and about the same for McClain's. Yeah the inital surge was good, but after that it was the Cowboys refusing to tackle.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
12-21-2008, 07:33 PM
Are you serious three guys had a shot at Mcgahee on his TD, and about the same for McClain's. Yeah the inital surge was good, but after that it was the Cowboys refusing to tackle.

what im saying is there was no one on them and didnt tackle it was all arm tackles (and arm tackles wont take mclain down)

Menardo75
12-21-2008, 07:34 PM
what im saying is there was no one on them and didnt tackle it was all arm tackles (and arm tackles wont take mclain down)

Obviously so what point are you trying to argue.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
12-21-2008, 07:47 PM
Obviously so what point are you trying to argue.

you said the cowboys didnt want to tackle im saying they really didnt have a legit shot at tackling them

Menardo75
12-21-2008, 07:53 PM
you said the cowboys didnt want to tackle im saying they really didnt have a legit shot at tackling them

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80d7cc79

You should watch again both runs guys got free runs at them and missed. How can you say there is no chance to tackle them.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
12-21-2008, 08:00 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80d7cc79

You should watch again both runs guys got free runs at them and missed. How can you say there is no chance to tackle them.

your right the willis one there was like 3guys right there but they were all turned around and by the time they got to try to make the tackle he was full speed and the mclain one there was good blocks all the way through until the safety got mushed to the ground so yea that was bad tackling but more of the def not being in the right position to make the tackle

Menardo75
12-21-2008, 08:01 PM
Do not get me wrong I love every second of that fourth quarter, and the fact the McClain's run was the longest in Texas Stadium history.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
12-21-2008, 08:08 PM
Do not get me wrong I love every second of that fourth quarter, and the fact the McClain's run was the longest in Texas Stadium history.

yea it was an awesome game and emmit never had one that long???

Menardo75
12-21-2008, 08:10 PM
yea it was an awesome game and emmit never had one that long???

Nope McClain has it.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
12-21-2008, 08:11 PM
Nope McClain has it.

thats awesome because now when they talk about the biggest run in that stadium they have to mention the ravens lol

Zyro_1014
12-21-2008, 08:12 PM

i hate those cowboys...

Menardo75
12-21-2008, 08:13 PM
thats awesome because now when they talk about the biggest run in that stadium they have to mention the ravens lol

Yes so glad they could get their proper send off.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
12-21-2008, 08:15 PM
Yes so glad they could get their proper send off.

yea there was the big hype of winning there last game i was actually nervous because they had alot on the line (there record,playoff hopes,last game in the stadium,alot of HOFers there)

but the ravens pulled through

Menardo75
12-21-2008, 08:17 PM
double post

Menardo75
12-21-2008, 08:18 PM
yea there was the big hype of winning there last game i was actually nervous because they had alot on the line (there record,playoff hopes,last game in the stadium,alot of HOFers there)

but the ravens pulled through

Glad they did almost seemed like the defense gave up.

Bengals78
12-21-2008, 09:48 PM
yea and not picking on the bengals or nothing but i see your a bengals fan you know more than most that you can have all the air weapons and still not be a good team because you can not set up the pass without the run .

Oh trust me I know...even with Carson you can't throw without a run game

which is why we should go OT way before Rb....ie no Wells in rd 1.

SKim172
12-22-2008, 02:22 PM
Nope McClain has it.

McClain has the longest run by a visiting back. I'm pretty sure some Cowboy has one longer.

Funny though - the longest run comes on a dagger-to-the-heart fourth quarter in the final game of the stadium in a horrific loss to knock them out of playoff contention, by a second-year glorified fullback.

Harsh.