PDA

View Full Version : With the first pick in the 2009 draft.

bigbuc
12-21-2008, 12:07 AM
The Detroit Lions take... Aaron Curry. Yeah I said it... try ver hard to trade down but if you can't take the safe player with NO holes in his game... I think he's a SAM backer and could have 10 plus sack seasons. This kid is that good!!!

You can't play around, you need a kid who is going to go to pro bowls. You can kill your team for years with a bad first over all pick...

PLAY it safe Detroit... pick this kid, get someone like Rex Rayn... and sit back and watch him go to pro bowls. Also you'll be happy to have a LB on your team thats over 245 pounds.

Mr.Regular
12-21-2008, 12:13 AM
That's it. It is now official. The Aaron Curry bandwagon has gone too far. Yes he's good. Yes he is one of the best seniors in the nation. And yes he is probably the best linebacker in the class.
BUT come on?! The Lions taking him #1? Investing that much money in him? Passing up a franchise QB for a SAM linebacker? Get real.

iBoldin
12-21-2008, 12:13 AM
The pick is much better suited to Stafford or Smith. I really don't see it happening. I don't think the Fords' are that stupid. As underwhelming as Ernie Sims has been this year, the linebacking core is definitely something farther down the list. Perhaps they go after JL with the second first, or with the 33rd pick. That's much easier.

12-21-2008, 12:14 AM
As good as Curry is I still have a rather difficult time seeing him go top five nevermind first overall ..

Primate
12-21-2008, 12:20 AM
Lions need the best QB on the board.

CashmoneyDrew
12-21-2008, 12:29 AM
Lions need the best QB on the board.

The Lions need the best player at each position on the board.

SKim172
12-21-2008, 12:32 AM
Lions need a lot of things, but first they'll look for a QB who won't run out the back of the endzone. And while the Lions picking a QB is like playing Russian roulette with a P90, perhaps the blind squirrel's acorn has finally arrived.

DetroitInDaHouse
12-21-2008, 01:10 AM
Heh this would be pretty funny draft the guy who wont change the direction your franchise is headed? Lawlz.. Currys impact is so little compared to stafford and the lions are so bad we have no choice but to take a big gamble. Its like in poker with a short stack and you shove with any 2. Cause if you take the safe play and wait for a big hand your stack will be so small it wont matter. Safe plays dont get the job done sorry.

Shane P. Hallam
12-21-2008, 01:11 AM
Taking Stafford and then the best OT left on the board at 25 is their best bet.

holt_bruce81
12-21-2008, 01:33 AM
Aren't all indications pointing to Stafford coming back for his Senior year? I say the Lions take Andre Smith or Michael Oher......Why has Oher slipped on some boards?

ThePudge
12-21-2008, 01:43 AM
Aren't all indications pointing to Stafford coming back for his Senior year? I say the Lions take Andre Smith or Michael Oher......Why has Oher slipped on some boards?

From what I've heard, it's almost 100% that Matthew Stafford takes the next step and declares for the 2009 NFL Draft.

Under a new coach and offensive system Oher has been a bit inconsistent and some question his agility and intellect to play on the left side. Even if people don't think he's an excellent LT prospect, he could certainly be an All-Pro on the other side which teams like Cincinnati and San Francisco (in the Top 10) particularly could use. It's fairly safe to say Oher probably has left that #1 pick mix and perhaps even the Top 3 mix. Still, he's a Top 15 player at the worst. Tremendous talent with a great frame and that boundless upside you have to love.

Halsey
12-21-2008, 04:40 AM
Good organizations don't pass on a potential franchise QB when they need one. The Giants didn't play it safe in 2004, the Steelers didn't play it safe in 2004, the Colts didn't play it safe in 1997, The Ravens didn't play it safe last year etc, etc. Yes, it's a risk, but it's also a risk to pass on a potential franchise QB when one is needed. The LIons played it safe when they took Gosder Cherilus this past draft and the Ravens took Flacco with the very next pick.

OneToughGame
12-21-2008, 05:12 AM
Good organizations don't pass on a potential franchise QB when they need one. The Giants didn't play it safe in 2004, the Steelers didn't play it safe in 2004, the Colts didn't play it safe in 1997, The Ravens didn't play it safe last year etc, etc. Yes, it's a risk, but it's also a risk to pass on a potential franchise QB when one is needed. The LIons played it safe when they took Gosder Cherilus this past draft and the Ravens took Flacco with the very next pick.

You could argue that they made a safer pick in Gosder also. Considering the division Flacco played in for Delaware. Now seeing how Flacco is turning out though and how Gosder is... Baltimore got lucky that Detroit didn't choose him.

TheRoo
12-21-2008, 06:14 AM
Take Smith. It Starts Up Front.

bearsfan_51
12-21-2008, 06:32 AM
You could argue that they made a safer pick in Gosder also. Considering the division Flacco played in for Delaware. Now seeing how Flacco is turning out though and how Gosder is... Baltimore got lucky that Detroit didn't choose him.
Gosder really wasn't a bad pick at all. A quality RT for 10-12 years is nothing to snuff at.

Smokey Joe
12-21-2008, 08:34 AM
If Flacco was drafted by the Lions (or even the Bears, like I would have wanted), he would turn into a bust. Detroit is the last place where a QB would want to be right now. However, I don't think many people want to be in Detroit, period.

JFLO
12-21-2008, 09:12 AM
To me, it's simple. If the Lions do proceed to finish out 0-16, then they should look at as many positions as they can, because you can't do worse than 0-16. Chances are, are that they won't win the Super Bowl next season and they probably know that, so it's going to take sometime to get to that level. I say take whichever player you think has the leadership and the play to help your team get to that level. If that means Curry, then it means Curry.

bigbuc
12-21-2008, 01:23 PM
Why would it be soooo crazy to draft Curry? What if he truns out to be a Patrick Willis or a Ray Ray or a James Harrison. If this guy played at LSU, USC, Penn St, OSU, UT or OU.... all of you would be calling him GOD!!!

Babylon
12-21-2008, 01:27 PM
Take Smith. It Starts Up Front.

If you look at the strength of this draft it's offensive linemen. My guess is you'd have a much better chance of getting a good one with the Dallas pick. Unless you don't want a QB this year i would think you would want to grab one early.

Sniper
12-21-2008, 01:28 PM
I'd go with Andre Smith. Matt Stafford, whom I think is overrated to start with, wouldn't make a damn bit of difference if he's getting ******* destroyed every play.

illmatic74
12-21-2008, 01:32 PM
Take Matthew Stafford first than get a Offensive tackle with the Cowboys pick. Stafford will at least have Calvin Johnson to throw to.

bearsfan_51
12-21-2008, 01:46 PM
Why would it be soooo crazy to draft Curry? What if he truns out to be a Patrick Willis or a Ray Ray or a James Harrison. If this guy played at LSU, USC, Penn St, OSU, UT or OU.... all of you would be calling him GOD!!!
Because you don't take a linebacker with the 1st overall pick. It's just stupid. Even Patrick Willis wouldn't get the contract that the #1 overall pick would.

Scott Wright
12-21-2008, 01:49 PM
I'd go with Andre Smith. Matt Stafford, whom I think is overrated to start with, wouldn't make a damn bit of difference if he's getting ******* destroyed every play.

So don't play him until you can protect him.

Let him sit and learn for a year a la Carson Palmer while Culpepper or someone else takes the lumps. That wouldn't be such a bad thing.

The Lions need to think long-term, not just what's going to make them better in 2009.

ljk2171
12-21-2008, 01:51 PM
It all depends on what quarterbacks enter the draft. If Stafford, Bradford, and Davis all enter, I would go Andre Smith at #1 and QB with the Dallas pick. I think Nate Davis would surely be available and be a solid pick, they may even be able to grab him with their second round pick. If they elect to go Davis in the second, they could go DE or WR with the latter #1.

#1-Andre Smith
#1a-Percy Harvin/Aaron Maybin/Tyson Jackson/etc....
#2-Nate Davis

Sniper
12-21-2008, 01:51 PM
So don't play him until you can protect him.

Let him sit and learn for a year a la Carson Palmer while Culpepper or someone else takes the lumps. That wouldn't be such a bad thing.

The Lions need to think long-term, not just what's going to make them better in 2009.

Perhaps, though I know you and I have much different opinions of Stafford.

Do you consider Matt Stafford to be the clear-cut #1 prospect? Or are you just putting him at #1 because he's the top QB and would be going to a team who needs a QB?

Scott Wright
12-21-2008, 01:52 PM
It all depends on what quarterbacks enter the draft. If Stafford, Bradford, and Davis all enter, I would go Andre Smith at #1 and QB with the Dallas pick. I think Nate Davis would surely be available and be a solid pick, they may even be able to grab him with their second round pick. If they elect to go Davis in the second, they could go DE or WR with the latter #1.

#1-Andre Smith
#2-Nate Davis

Please refer to my article on how often you get stud quarterbacks in round two or three:

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/23qb/23qbs.php

Sniper
12-21-2008, 01:54 PM

#1-Andre Smith
#2-Nate Davis

They have significantly bigger needs than WR. They almost HAVE to go DL on the second pick, or, if we go by your Smith at #1 scenario, get another OL.

Smokey Joe
12-21-2008, 02:03 PM
well, a scary thought for NFC North Fans (but a dream for Detroit fans) would be the Lions bringing in the trio of Pioli, McDaniels, and Cassel. So, then the Lions could forget about drafting a QB at all. If that happened, Stafford would obviously be crossed off the list for no. 1 overall. So that would leave Andre Smith, Aaron Curry, and maybe Malcolm Jenkins or Taylor Mays. However, I think it'd be an easy choice because the fastest way to turn around a team is with the OLine, IMO, and you gotta protect Cassel (who's gonna be paid A LOT).

Sniper
12-21-2008, 02:07 PM
well, a scary thought for NFC North Fans (but a dream for Detroit fans) would be the Lions bringing in the trio of Pioli, McDaniels, and Cassel. So, then the Lions could forget about drafting a QB at all. If that happened, Stafford would obviously be crossed off the list for no. 1 overall. So that would leave Andre Smith, Aaron Curry, and maybe Malcolm Jenkins or Taylor Mays. However, I think it'd be an easy choice because the fastest way to turn around a team is with the OLine, IMO, and you gotta protect Cassel (who's gonna be paid A LOT).

The only one of those four worth the top pick would be Smith. Curry is good, but no LB except Lawrence Taylor should be picked first overall, and he wasn't. Jenkins, while he's the best corner available and would be a good fit in the C2 defense, won't go #1 because it makes no sense to pay C2 corners #1 money. Mays doesn't have the production to go #1. I love, love, LOVE him in, say, Philly's scheme and have him as the #1 safety, but I severely doubt he goes #1.

The Lions need to go OL/DL if that scenario would take place.

illmatic74
12-21-2008, 02:10 PM
well, a scary thought for NFC North Fans (but a dream for Detroit fans) would be the Lions bringing in the trio of Pioli, McDaniels, and Cassel. So, then the Lions could forget about drafting a QB at all. If that happened, Stafford would obviously be crossed off the list for no. 1 overall. So that would leave Andre Smith, Aaron Curry, and maybe Malcolm Jenkins or Taylor Mays. However, I think it'd be an easy choice because the fastest way to turn around a team is with the OLine, IMO, and you gotta protect Cassel (who's gonna be paid A LOT).That would be great news for Bears, Lions and Packers fans. It would be like when the the Dolphins decided A.J Feeley was there franchise QB.

Sniper
12-21-2008, 02:11 PM
It would be like when the the Dolphins decided A.J Feeley was there franchise QB.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA A.J FEELEY!!!!!!!!!

Oh man, that guy is terrible.

BuddyCHRIST
12-21-2008, 02:13 PM
Detroit tried the "pick a QB in the mid rounds with ability and hope he's good in a few years" strategy. Stanton was evidently so bad that Culpepper on 3 days of practice started over him. They need D-Line help but no elite prospects are available. O-Line is a strong possibility but one OT doesn't solve an entire O-Line, plus they haven't looked completely awful in the few times ive seen them. Stafford is the no brainer to me, gives a face to your franchise, big arm to throw to Calvin and they obviously need a QB.

Smokey Joe
12-21-2008, 02:18 PM
The only one of those four worth the top pick would be Smith. Curry is good, but no LB except Lawrence Taylor should be picked first overall, and he wasn't. Jenkins, while he's the best corner available and would be a good fit in the C2 defense, won't go #1 because it makes no sense to pay C2 corners #1 money. Mays doesn't have the production to go #1. I love, love, LOVE him in, say, Philly's scheme and have him as the #1 safety, but I severely doubt he goes #1.

The Lions need to go OL/DL if that scenario would take place.
I forgot about Orakpo, but you still gotta go with the protector of the QB.

hockey619
12-21-2008, 03:15 PM
Games are won on the lines. If you can control the line, you control where the play starts and can dictate the game. The teams that are the best along the lines tend to be the most successful (Giants, Patriots, Colts, OK in college, etc): all qbs are good when they have time to throw, or suck when they cant set up. All rbs look good when there are big holes, and suck if guys cant hold there blocks.

I think theyve got to go with Andre Smith, but I have a history of hate for Matt Stafford. The thing is...Id take him and give him a chance at tackle, but with every intention of playing him at guard unless he proves to be a world beater at LT. Dont get me wrong, I think he can be a great tackle, but I think he could be and unbelievable guard. Sounds stupid, but as Steve Hutchinson has proven, guards can have an enormous impact on games regardless of whether or not they recieve a lot of media attention for it. Having him to help control the center of the line would help the run game leaps and bounds.

I see him being able to impact a game from the guard position ala Steve Hutchinson. I would give him a shot at LT for PR reasons and all but I really feel he could be a hall of fame guard and improve the run game. Hes just a mauler in the run game like no other.

They could get Smith at G and a LT(Cherilus at RT)/DE late in the first, sign Cassel in free agency.

They could also trade back and take Oher and then Duke Robinson with the second first, sign Cassel in free agency and use the picks they get for the first to acquire a DE by moving up or selecting one with a pick.

I love love love Andre Smith as a prospect and thought he was instrumental in Alabamas success this season more than any other player on that team. I DO believe he can be a great tackle, which is generally accepted as the more important position, but I think Smith as a guard could have a greater impact on an offense and that hed be the most successful there.

keylime_5
12-21-2008, 03:20 PM
If they draft Stafford and then get an offensive lineman with one of their next two picks they'll be on the right track. Teams just cannot take positions like linebackers and runningbacks #1 overall, too easy to find a good linebacker or runningback. There's a reason #1 overall picks usually are gonna be OTs, DEs, or QBs.

Babylon
12-21-2008, 04:03 PM
If they draft Stafford and then get an offensive lineman with one of their next two picks they'll be on the right track. Teams just cannot take positions like linebackers and runningbacks #1 overall, too easy to find a good linebacker or runningback. There's a reason #1 overall picks usually are gonna be OTs, DEs, or QBs.

If it comes down to your choice being Andre Smith and Nate Davis or Matt Stafford and Ciron Black/Ebben Britton i think that is a no brainer.

bigbuc
12-21-2008, 05:44 PM
Why can't they try to move down and if not take the player that they feel best fits there team, not what orther people think they are going to do. Like what the Cowboys did with Russell Maryland in 91... just dont miss, get a good player.

What if Curry ends up like LaVar Arrington before his legs gave out?

Babylon
12-21-2008, 07:38 PM
Why can't they try to move down and if not take the player that they feel best fits there team, not what orther people think they are going to do. Like what the Cowboys did with Russell Maryland in 91... just dont miss, get a good player.

What if Curry ends up like LaVar Arrington before his legs gave out?

I thought Lavar Arrington was one of the most promising LB talents to come along, Curry should be good by i don't put him in that class. A good comparison for him would be a Keith Rivers. Trading down as you say is a good alternative if that's what they want to do.

Menardo75
12-21-2008, 07:42 PM
If they are not going to take Stafford then it should be Smith.

katnip
12-21-2008, 07:58 PM
no way.. they'll trade down and take Michael Oher or a pretty safe pick/position

Andre Smith hasn't declared yet right?

Texas Homer
12-21-2008, 10:37 PM
The Lions will tale Stafford(imo).

RaiderNation
12-22-2008, 12:24 AM
Perfect situation for lions: Sign Matt Cassel and draft Andre Smith with the 1st overall and with the other 1st round go BPA on D.

But they probably with go after Stafford or Bradford

gpngc
12-22-2008, 12:55 AM
I personally don't think Matt Cassel would amount to much in Detroit.

I don't think Detroit would risk that much $ on a guy who has more "product of the system" in him than Kliff Kingsbury, Reuben Droughns, Quentin Griffin, and Darrell Jackson combined.

They'll likely try to find themselves a fresh face. The Bradford-Stafford debate is extremely interesting.

You can make a case for either but ultimately I think they'd go Stafford.

Buttered toast sonic
12-22-2008, 03:17 AM
did the dolphins have a franchise QB picking first last year? no, and THEY passed on Matt Ryan for Jake Long.

ljk2171
12-22-2008, 06:51 AM
Please refer to my article on how often you get stud quarterbacks in round two or three:

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/23qb/23qbs.php

I agree 99.9% of the time with this notion. From what I've seen of Stafford and Bradford, I don't think either are worthy of the a top 5 pick. Obviously both will go higher due to their position. I happen to be high on Davis, so this happens to be one of the years I think it could pay to wait on a QB.

BBIB
12-22-2008, 10:22 AM
The Lions are inept in too many areas to take a QB in ANY round.

They need to follow the Dolphins model. Get the stud OT with the 1st pick, take the QB in FA.

They need to take Andre Smith

bearsfan_51
12-22-2008, 10:23 AM
The Lions are inept in too many areas to take a QB in ANY round.

They need to follow the Dolphins model. Get the stud OT with the 1st pick, take the QB in FA.
The Dolphins drafted Chad Henne in the 2nd round brainlord.

Sniper
12-22-2008, 10:33 AM
The Dolphins drafted Chad Henne in the 2nd round brainlord.

I believe he meant Chad Pennington.

12-22-2008, 10:36 AM
I believe he meant Chad Pennington.

He also said the Lions can't afford to take a QB in any round and follow the Dolphins model yet they drafted a QB in round two.

DetroitInDaHouse
12-23-2008, 01:41 AM
Trust me no gm will ever pass up Matthew Stafford. Not when he is so highly rated. Not when their team needs a new kickstart and push in the right direction ala matt ryan and the falcons. If we draft Stafford now we can easily forget about that horrid season we had and move forward. Plus Stafford will sell tickets ford if you are listening I know you want to sellout next year dont you? Well draft Stafford. I dont know why everyone is so scared to draft a qb with the first pick. When you have nothing to lose like the lions you have to take as big of a chance as you can just to catch up with the rest of the teams in the league. I know its the lions but I think they will do the right thing this time around. They have to. Regardless even if they drafted smith or traded down they will have had a good draft. There are too many good players in this draft not to come away with some franchise players.