PDA

View Full Version : bulldog0123's Matt Stafford Scouting Report

bulldog0123
12-22-2008, 11:53 AM
Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia*

Measurables:

Height-6-3: Average height for a QB and it wonít allow him to do anything special.

Weight-237: Very nice weight for a QB especially considering his height. It will allow him to take more of a beating in the NFL.

40-4.75: An average 40 time and gives him some speed to scramble.

Proís: He is good at reading the D before the play and audibling. He shows nice touch during short throws and he throws well for short passes on the run. Has a rocket Arm combined with good Mobility and he can scramble for the first down. Stafford has nice touch on the dump pass. He has great potential and puts the zip on the ball to fit it into tight windows. Also he has nice bulk.

Conís: He has great talent around him, what could he do without them? Also he has bad footwork. Matthew only has average accuracy on long throws. When he misthrows he throws above the WR. He throws off his back foot a lot but sometimes that it forced by the D.

QB Note: He throws right handed and over-the-top.

2009 Projection: Top 20 Picks
2010 Projection: Top 25 Picks

Comparison: Jay Cutler: Matt and Jay were both big QBs with high potential. Also they have rocket arms and were and are overhyped by the media. They both will and were drafted because of a rocket arm, potential and size.

CashmoneyDrew
12-22-2008, 11:56 AM
I guess you think he's overrated, and I kind of do too, but don't you think you're being just a little bit too conservative with your projections?

DoWnThEfiElD
12-22-2008, 11:56 AM
I don't really see the whole "great talent around him" part. The talent is above average, but I wouldn't consider it great...

bulldog0123
12-22-2008, 12:00 PM
I guess you think he's overrated, and I kind of do too, but don't you think you're being just a little bit too conservative with your projections?

nope, thats where he SHOULD be drafted

bulldog0123
12-22-2008, 12:00 PM
also that is if the others declare

Halsey
12-22-2008, 12:19 PM
No mention of intelligence, character, leadership or other intangibles. This is supposed to be a scouting report of a QB, right?

georgiafan
12-22-2008, 12:22 PM
The talent around him isn't great, it's above average. The OL is awful and Massaqui is average to above avg WR with good stats because of Stafford/A.J. Moreno is elite and A.J Green has elite talent, but still makes freshman mistakes.

bulldog0123
12-22-2008, 12:23 PM
nevermind...

Babylon
12-22-2008, 12:43 PM
I don't really see the whole "great talent around him" part. The talent is above average, but I wouldn't consider it great...

I think up till this year his supporting cast was one of the worst in the SEC. Green and Massaquoi stepped up as the season went on and gave Matt some real targets. The O-line was inexperienced to start with and then got hit with injuries.

As for the cons the original post talks about, his footwork is very good this year and his average completions on long balls is probably a plus as most guys are below average on long passes. He'd obviously look good in a Lions uni wouldn't he?:)

lod01
12-22-2008, 12:47 PM

Conís: He has great talent around him, what could he do without them? Also he has bad footwork. Matthew only has average accuracy on long throws. When he misthrows he throws above the WR. He throws off his back foot a lot but sometimes that it forced by the D.

No problem. Calvin Johnson will haul those in easily.

illmatic74
12-22-2008, 01:01 PM

Measurables:

Height-6-3: Average height for a QB and it wonít allow him to do anything special.

Weight-237: Very nice weight for a QB especially considering his height. It will allow him to take more of a beating in the NFL.

40-4.75: An average 40 time and gives him some speed to scramble.

Proís: He is good at reading the D before the play and audibling. He shows nice touch during short throws and he throws well for short passes on the run. Has a rocket Arm combined with good Mobility and he can scramble for the first down. Stafford has nice touch on the dump pass. He has great potential and puts the zip on the ball to fit it into tight windows. Also he has nice bulk.

QB Note: He throws right handed and over-the-top.

2009 Projection: Top 20 Picks
2010 Projection: Top 25 Picks

Comparison: Jay Cutler: Matt and Jay were both big QBs with high potential. Also they have rocket arms and were and are overhyped by the media. They both will and were drafted because of a rocket arm, potential and size.Jay was definitely overhyped. He was not as good as that Young, Leinart or even Jackson guy. Bust.

the decider13
12-22-2008, 03:26 PM
Jay was definitely overhyped. He was not as good as that Young, Leinart or even Jackson guy. Bust.

I'm gonna doubt that you've watched a lot of Cutler. He makes mistakes sure, but nothing on the level of any of the guys you listed. Cutler already set the Broncos season record for passing yards in his second year starting, first year at playing weight. Oh and he made the pro bowl. Yeah, such a bust.

illmatic74
12-22-2008, 03:27 PM
I'm gonna doubt that you've watched a lot of Cutler. He makes mistakes sure, but nothing on the level of any of the guys you listed. Cutler already set the Broncos season record for passing yards in his second year starting, first year at playing weight. Oh and he made the pro bowl. Yeah, such a bust.sarcasm dude.

the decider13
12-22-2008, 03:31 PM
sarcasm dude.

bleh...that's what I hate about the internet. Slight sarcasm is so often overlooked. I was just focused on someone bronco hating lol

Well same statement...just directed at OP instead of illmatic

CashmoneyDrew
12-22-2008, 03:40 PM
nope, thats where he SHOULD be drafted

I understand you think he should go in that area, but he will go higher based on lack of supply and pretty fair demand for an elite position. Not to mention scouts are madly in love with the guy regardless of what you or I think.

kmartin575
12-22-2008, 04:58 PM
I'm gonna doubt that you've watched a lot of Cutler. He makes mistakes sure, but nothing on the level of any of the guys you listed. Cutler already set the Broncos season record for passing yards in his second year starting, first year at playing weight. Oh and he made the pro bowl. Yeah, such a bust.

Don't use the pro bowl as a determining factor, he made it over more deserving guys. He shouldn't be there, he turns the ball over too much.

RaiderNation
12-22-2008, 05:00 PM
I still think Sanchez and Bradford are going to be beter NFL QB's than Stafford.

illmatic74
12-22-2008, 06:03 PM
Don't use the pro bowl as a determining factor, he made it over more deserving guys. He shouldn't be there, he turns the ball over too much.He deserves it it should be him Rivers and Manning.

sbh15
12-22-2008, 06:48 PM
This sounds like a weak attempt at a scouting report to me where you end up projecting Stafford to be a Top 20 pick at best so you have a different opinion. I'm not trying to say this is a bad post, I just feel the report is a bit weak. Just me.

the decider13
12-23-2008, 03:11 AM
He deserves it it should be him Rivers and Manning.

I agree...and I hate rivers. I think rivers should have made it over favre.

To respond to the topic, I agree with your comparison to Cutler, but i take it as a compliment. And I also doubt he makes it out of the top 5 with how many teams need QBs.

Habibi
12-23-2008, 02:55 PM
His 6-3 height wont allow him to do anything "special" at the next level? Huh? Please elaborate on this statement.

Brett Favre - 6'2"
Donovan McNabb - 6'2"
Drew Brees - 6'0"
Kurt Warner - 6'2"
Jay Cutler - 6'3"
Tony Romo - 6'2"
Marc Bulger - 6'2"

People need to stop acting like 6'5" is the standard for QBs.