PDA

View Full Version : Micah Johnson MLB Kentucky

jessekopplin77
12-23-2008, 10:49 AM
Micah Johnson
6'2 250 lbs
Jr. Kentucky
MLB

He offers a rare combinations of size/speed/strength. Coming out of high school was one of the top recruits in the nation. Going to Kentucky however, he has since lost the hype about him. He shows he still has great size since bulking up in weight. He has great insticts, but seems to lack the true knowledge for the MLB spot. His other weaknesses is tackling sometimes. He will always have big hits on players, but a lot of times seems to wrap up on the ball carrier but will lose his hold and go flying off. Going into the NFL, I think most teams will look for him to play OLB for either a 3-4 or 4-3 defense. He has been starting since his sophomore year, and I think his best option is to return for his Senior year. This years LB class is strong, and the highest I could see him going is the 3rd round. If he returns and has a big senior year, he could end up going 1st round due to his improvement and athletic abilities.

2007 Stats 58 Tkls 2 Ints
2008 Stats 72 Tkls 11.5 Tfls 2.5 Sacks 1FF

NFL Comparison: Young Takeo Spikes

What do you all think?

JLaw45
12-23-2008, 11:12 AM
There's already a thread on him here:

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28060

But anyway, if he comes out this year I can see him going somewhere in the middle rounds, no higher than the 3rd. If he stayed a year and put up similar stats, he could conceivably become a first day guy but like you mentioned he does play at Kentucky and there's always the possibility that his stock could plateau/decline.

jessekopplin77
12-23-2008, 11:58 PM
He would have to put up a lot better stats in order to be drafted within the first 2 rounds. Getting 70 tackles, will not cut it for elite MLB prospects. His best option is to play OLB in a 3-4, or play MLB in a 4-3 defense to have an impact in the NFL.

ThePudge
12-24-2008, 01:24 AM
He would have to put up a lot better stats in order to be drafted within the first 2 rounds. Getting 70 tackles, will not cut it for elite MLB prospects. His best option is to play OLB in a 3-4, or play MLB in a 4-3 defense to have an impact in the NFL.

Keith Rivers was a Top 10 pick though he didn't have much over 70 tackles his senior season.

jessekopplin77
12-24-2008, 01:09 PM
Yes, but Keith Rivers was also on one of the best all around teams in the college scene. He also played along side with 2 Linebackers in Cushing and Maualuga, who are suppose to both be drafted within the first 20 picks for this year's draft. Whereas, Micah Johnson is basically the lone star Linebacker on his team.