PDA

View Full Version : The ILB conundrum

CC.SD
12-23-2008, 05:05 PM
When it comes to the draft, we are in a funny situation. Obviously our starters are set at 3 out of 4 linebacker spots: Merriman, Phillips, and Cooper have paid their dues and are flat out aces.

But what about the other spot? Everyone, including me when the mood strikes, thinks we should draft an ILB. Mauluga would be insane in our defense. However, we have a lot of freaking ILBs on the roster right now:

Anthony Waters: Do we just give up on the Waters project? His ceiling is as high as ever, but no one knows what the hell is going on with him.

Matt Wilhelm: Next.

Tim Dobbins: Quite a dilemma here. He knows how to lay the wood and has come through for us in the clutch several times now. Embarrassing in coverage though.

Brandon Siler: See Tim Dobbins, except an even bigger hitter.

Drafting another ILB essentially shuts the door on all these guys. What do we do?

San Diego Chicken
12-23-2008, 07:11 PM
I am sold on Tim Dobbins. He straight up took Wilhelm's job, and he has been improving (along with the defense as a whole) ever since. I don't see how we can criticize him in coverage too much because he is not on the field in nickel situations. If we are expecting anyone in college to come in and be better than Dobbins in pass defense, we're fooling ourselves. Maualuga isn't very good in coverage, and just pop in last year's BCS title game to see how terrible Lauranitis is in coverage.

Poor insincts in the secondary, and lack of a pass rush are the main reasons are the main reasons for the struggles in pass defense. Weddle has been okay after the N.O. game, but Hart needs to go and will probably go. I'm extremely dissapointed in Hart and Clary because those were guys who played very well in the second half of 07, but have struggled big time this year with their fundamentals.

bergo23
12-23-2008, 10:54 PM
Waters is still the guy I expect will take the job. We simply have too many higher priority needs (DT Raji, Oline) in the first round to justify Maualuga.

Shoot, I'd rather us draft an upgrade at safety for Hart than draft an ILB. William Moore or Taylor Mays would be better than Hart in Coverage.

While I agree ILB is a conundrum, at least our first pick would be better spent elsewhere.

If we drafted Maualuga, Wilhelm might be the guy shown the door.

Either Hart or Wilhelm would be cuts that shows AJ made mistakes on those long term deals. Those guys and Jyles Tucker are looking kinda iffy right now, in terms of dollars invested and production on the field

bantx
12-30-2008, 12:38 PM
Im glad Dobbin took wilhems job, I am not a fan of Wilhem and doesnt look like my ideal ilb. I dont think we need to draft a ILB in the 1st we have many other needs before ILB. Safety and T/G are our biggest needs i think so far.

San Diego Chicken
12-30-2008, 03:40 PM
Im glad Dobbin took wilhems job, I am not a fan of Wilhem and doesnt look like my ideal ilb. I dont think we need to draft a ILB in the 1st we have many other needs before ILB. Safety and T/G are our biggest needs i think so far.

I agree. Even though it looked like Bell's first TD on Sunday was Dobbins's fault, he's still been a pleasant surprise to me. I am just not a huge fan of Lauranitis or Maualuga. If we wanted to, we could chase Bart Scott in free agency, though there is about a 1% chance that A.J. actually will. I still say safety (though Oliver intrigues me, and Gregory hasn't been bad either), OL, and DE before LB in the draft, and I wouldn't rule out RB either since it will be difficult to convice Sproles to stay once teams start offering him.

SDSupaChargers
12-30-2008, 06:10 PM
The other thing to consider is that we need a good cover ILB as we already have great run stoppers, and Maualuga does not fit that mold. I think OL and DL have to be the priorities going into the draft and offseason as well as an upgrade at safety. While ILB is still somewhat of a need, I think it should only be addressed early in the draft in the case that we are getting a steal and cannot pass on the talent.

Xenos
01-06-2009, 12:28 AM
Waters is still the guy I expect will take the job. We simply have too many higher priority needs (DT Raji, Oline) in the first round to justify Maualuga.

Shoot, I'd rather us draft an upgrade at safety for Hart than draft an ILB. William Moore or Taylor Mays would be better than Hart in Coverage.

While I agree ILB is a conundrum, at least our first pick would be better spent elsewhere.

If we drafted Maualuga, Wilhelm might be the guy shown the door.

Either Hart or Wilhelm would be cuts that shows AJ made mistakes on those long term deals. Those guys and Jyles Tucker are looking kinda iffy right now, in terms of dollars invested and production on the field
Good thing about those deals is that they were rather low risk. We can cut Wilhelm anytime without any penalty because we paid him most of his salary (which wasn't that much to being with). So you could say we paid him for his 2006 and 2007 efforts.

CC.SD
01-06-2009, 12:37 PM
Dobbins can stay. Nice sack, man.