PDA

View Full Version : Vontae Davis CB Illinois

jessekopplin77
12-24-2008, 12:18 AM
6' 204 lbs
Junior Corner Back
Illinois

Strengths
Vontae is a big time athlete in the college world. His older brother is Vernon Davis, the TE for the 49ers, and is a freak athlete. The same goes for Vontae. He has a great size for the CB position, and is a lot stronger then most NFL CBs. I would even go as far to say that he is as strong as most Safeties in the NFL. He is one of the best bump coverage CB, and will be all over his man around the line of scrimmage. He has great speed, and will keep up with even the fastest WR in college. His run support is probably the best that I have seen by a CB in years. He is a very physical tackler,lays MONSTER HITS, and has great instincts to be able to get Tackles For Loss. Has very fluid hips, and great stop and go acceleration.

Weaknesses
Sometimes he will overdue on the bump coverage, and have WR get past him quickly. Does not offer the number of Interceptions you see most CB get, and brings up the question of how good is he at picking off the pass. Other then that, there really are no weaknesses.

2008 Stats 78 Tckls 7 Tfls 2 Ints 3 FF

NFL Outlook
Best- Several Pro Bowls/Hall of Fame
Worst- Avg. NFL Starter

Other Position Possiblities?
Being 6' 204 lbs, he has the size to play FS for sure, and a very little chance of SS. He has the speed, strength, and tackling abilities to be a great FS in the NFL. If he struggles at the CB position the first few years, it wouldn't be a surprise if reports come out about him playing FS.

Feel free to speak your minds too!

no love
12-24-2008, 02:10 AM
I would not move him to safety. He has the potential to be a very good all around corner (I will refrain from using "shutdown corner"), those are more valuable than safeties.

His major weakness is his attitude, much like his brother he is temperamental and he was even benched during the year by his head coach which is a huge redflag for coaches. While you like corners who are confident, you don't want ones who can't keep their aggression and temper under check...remember the Deangelo Hall v. Steve Smith meltdown?

Oh and btw imo Brandon Flowers was better against the run.

HellonEarth84
12-24-2008, 03:05 AM
I wouldnt gamble on this kid. Boom or Bust.

D-Rod
12-24-2008, 03:28 AM
I'll pass on the headcase, thanks...

bored of education
12-24-2008, 07:28 AM
He reminds me of rich man's Chris Houston.

SuperKevin
12-24-2008, 09:33 AM
Vontae Davis needs to go to a team that isn't afraid to let a first rounder sit on the bench for a season or two because right now he's WAY too raw to be a starting CB in the NFL. He's gotten by on pure athleticism in college(and even that stopped happeneing a bit this year) and has little technique. If you rush him into the starting lineup you're going to have Ahmad Carroll all over again.

jessekopplin77
12-24-2008, 01:05 PM
Yes, that was what I was trying to get through in my report. He is a freak athlete, and has the instincts, but he still has problems with coverage. If he can work on his coverage more, he could end up becoming one of the best CB ever.

SuperKevin
12-24-2008, 01:17 PM
Yes, that was what I was trying to get through in my report. He is a freak athlete, and has the instincts, but he still has problems with coverage. If he can work on his coverage more, he could end up becoming one of the best CB ever.

I wouldn't say best ever

jessekopplin77
12-24-2008, 01:24 PM
haha, true true.......I'm a big Illinois fan, so maybe that was overflated, but for sure a couple pro bowls in him if he develops his coverage. sound good?

Menardo75
12-24-2008, 01:24 PM
I would compare him to a version of Nate Clements without discipline.

CC.SD
12-24-2008, 01:43 PM
Well, he can't do any worse than his brother.

Menardo75
12-24-2008, 01:54 PM
Yeah he can.

illmatic74
12-24-2008, 01:57 PM
Well, he can't do any worse than his brother.He hasn't been that bad. Even Mike Singletary called him the best blocking tight end he has ever seen.

jessekopplin77
12-24-2008, 02:31 PM
Thinky any of you could get me some reputation points? I've done a couple good reports I think, but no one seems to give me any points, any tips or advice? Also check out my new Top Small School Backs thread!

no love
12-24-2008, 02:36 PM
He hasn't been that bad. Even Mike Singletary called him the best blocking tight end he has ever seen.

He's not talking about his ability. He is talking only about his temper. Besides, I want my TE's to play angry its a physical position and you gotta mix it up in the trenches, so the mean streak is a good fit. However CB has to be able to keep it together mentally, bc a good WR will bait you and make you pay for you over aggressiveness.

Staubach12
12-24-2008, 02:40 PM
Haha I like the strait up asking for rep. The report is meh. He's extremely underdeveloped. Assuming he comes out, he's my #3 corner behind DJ Moore (assuming he comes out as well) and Malcolm Jenkins.

jessekopplin77
12-24-2008, 02:42 PM
Yeah, well I'm not an expert scout or anything so yeah lol. I'm only giving the somewhat basics........I have a couple Rep things, but they don't give me points haha. I don't get it.

Habibi
12-24-2008, 02:43 PM
Well, he can't do any worse than his brother.

You don't know what you're talking about.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
12-24-2008, 02:54 PM
Cover 2 corner maybe? I know people like to pigeonhole slow guys into that role, but as a good BnR guy, he'll have safety help over the top. Plus he'll be able to use his stoutness against the run and hitting ability. Sounds like he could use another year though. Also, I haven't seen him play, don't get many college games in Canada, and I'm usually working on Saturdays for the ones I do get.

jessekopplin77
12-24-2008, 03:03 PM
Cover 2 corner maybe? I know people like to pigeonhole slow guys into that role, but as a good BnR guy, he'll have safety help over the top. Plus he'll be able to use his stoutness against the run and hitting ability. Sounds like he could use another year though. Also, I haven't seen him play, don't get many college games in Canada, and I'm usually working on Saturdays for the ones I do get.

Vontae Davis is fast. For sure a 4.4 guy, and I could even expect him to maybe get a high 4.3. Its just sometimes he will overdue bump coverage. I was just thinking of NFL players that do that, and Al Harris came to mind. These two are somewhat alike in ways.

DreadedDatSkinsFan
12-24-2008, 08:27 PM
He is what Shawn Springs was at OSU...Springs had a lot more tricks up his sleeves in man 2 man coverage though...

keylime_5
12-24-2008, 08:33 PM
I actually think Davis could play strong safety, he's plenty physical and can cover a tight end, and he's definitely instinctual enough. Might be all for not to wonder if he would be an ideal fit there, I don't see him playing anything other than corner in the NFL.

12-24-2008, 08:34 PM
I actually think Davis could play strong safety, he's plenty physical and can cover a tight end, and he's definitely instinctual enough. Might be all for not to wonder if he would be an ideal fit there, I don't see him playing anything other than corner in the NFL.

If Davis moves to SS he ends up similarly to Michael Huff, imo. I'm still not convinced to this day that Huff was a natural safety.

d34ng3l021
12-24-2008, 08:45 PM
Vontae Davis needs to go to a team that isn't afraid to let a first rounder sit on the bench for a season or two because right now he's WAY too raw to be a starting CB in the NFL. He's gotten by on pure athleticism in college(and even that stopped happeneing a bit this year) and has little technique. If you rush him into the starting lineup you're going to have Ahmad Carroll all over again.

That was what I thought about Dominique Rodgers Cromartie. He seems to be doing fine relying on his athleticism. I would have thought of him as much more raw than Vontae Davis, especially because of where he played (i forgot...).

SuperKevin
12-24-2008, 09:01 PM
That was what I thought about Dominique Rodgers Cromartie. He seems to be doing fine relying on his athleticism. I would have thought of him as much more raw than Vontae Davis, especially because of where he played (i forgot...).

Cromartie has and always had better cover skills than Davis does.

Zyro_1014
12-24-2008, 09:09 PM
If Davis moves to SS he ends up similarly to Michael Huff, imo. I'm still not convinced to this day that Huff was a natural safety.

huff would be an amazing Free Safety, Oakland just asks him to play in the box to much and thats not what hes good at. The guy is a ball hawk, let him be one.

12-24-2008, 09:35 PM
huff would be an amazing Free Safety, Oakland just asks him to play in the box to much and thats not what hes good at. The guy is a ball hawk, let him be one.

Not true. I once thought the same and he proved to be a flop at the position this season. If not for concerns about his stiff hips I think he would have been given a shot there by now.

middlelinebacker54
12-29-2008, 08:43 AM
haha, true true.......I'm a big Illinois fan, so maybe that was overflated, but for sure a couple pro bowls in him if he develops his coverage. sound good?

yeah if he improves A LOT. lol

Paranoidmoonduck
12-29-2008, 03:01 PM

Huff was an awful free safety. He was simply a strong safety who was built like a corner and tackles like one. I don't think he has any spot on that Raider defense, but he might find a home on a team that runs a lot of Cover 2.

foozball
12-29-2008, 10:31 PM
why not move him to FS? has the size and physicality. if he's not disciplined enough to play CB, why not move him over?