PDA

View Full Version : Holy ****! Jets and Lions trade rumor...

TacticaLion
03-03-2007, 07:40 PM
Wow... saw this in another thread:
John Clayton on ESPN reported that the Jets and Lions are in trade talks about sending Vilma, #25, and our late 2nd for #2 overall.
That would be a trade worth taking! Holy ****! Vilma, who is a beast, a first round pick and an additional second round pick... WOW. Give us this trade.

That would give us:

2.?
5.?
5.?

That would be incredible.

ricky bobby
03-03-2007, 07:43 PM
Knowing your GM, he'd find a way to blow it.

TacticaLion
03-03-2007, 07:48 PM
Knowing your GM, he'd find a way to blow it.That really doesn't make sense. He'd find a way to blow that exact trade? How?

Go away.

Pocket
03-03-2007, 08:18 PM
Oh my god...

Does this rumor have a source?

EDIT: I guess I could read all of the original post.

Notredameleo
03-03-2007, 08:37 PM
Millen has to take this trade. Vilma really doesn't fit into the 3-4, which is why i think this isn't just a rumor. He would be a beast in our defense, and we could get Houston or Revis with the 25th pick!! I would love this..

familyguy555
03-03-2007, 08:51 PM
OMG WE NEED YOU VILMA PLEASSSEE!!!!but really it works out on both sides

Notredameleo
03-03-2007, 08:54 PM
Did anyone actually see the segmen with Clayton on ESPN?

Xiomera
03-03-2007, 09:07 PM
The Jets would presumably be after Adrian Peterson at #2, correct?

bdc02
03-03-2007, 09:14 PM
yeah i heard about it too... i'd do that **** rigth away... John Clayton reported it. and yeah they would be after AD.

Xiomera
03-03-2007, 09:26 PM
I would be thrilled if this happened.

We could take someone like Charles Johnson or Chris Houston at 25, Justin Blalock at 34, and either a CB or DE with the Jets 2nd (based on what position we get in the first). We could essentially go BPA for all of our remaining picks, having adequetly filled our needs at MLB, OL, DE and CB.

ChefMike
03-03-2007, 09:33 PM
Vilma is a favored son in the Jets organization I would be suprised to see this trade happen... Seems like too much for the 2nd pick...

Scotty D
03-03-2007, 10:04 PM
Get it done.

jetsfan3
03-03-2007, 10:06 PM
The Jets would presumably be after Adrian Peterson at #2, correct?

Correct. An excellent trade for both teams IMO.

familyguy555
03-03-2007, 10:08 PM
Vilma is a favored son in the Jets organization I would be suprised to see this trade happen... Seems like too much for the 2nd pick...

he dosent fit a 3-4 that there trying to run...

jetsfan3
03-03-2007, 10:09 PM
John Clayton is reporting that the Jets and Lions are in trade talks for the 2nd pick in the draft in which we give up Vilma, our 1st, and our late 2nd for the 2nd pick overall.

Posted at 6:35 ET in the New York Jets Discussion Thread. Now I need to go turn the failsafe key on the Island, go back in time, wait until 3/3/07, 6:35 and turn on ESPN.

casskid
03-03-2007, 10:11 PM
I just came up with a scenario similar to this in the Willis/Landry thread, but what a deal if the lions can pull this off. I cant believe the Jets want the second pick that bad.

jetsfan3
03-03-2007, 10:40 PM
I just came up with a scenario similar to this in the Willis/Landry thread, but what a deal if the lions can pull this off. I cant believe the Jets want the second pick that bad.

I would say this be a reasonable trade:

Lions recieve:

Jonathan Vilma
Pick #37 (530)
Pick #57 (330)
Future 4th round pick (20)

Jets recieve

Pick #2 (2600)
6th round pick (15)

Lions give up 2615
Jets give up 880

The difference is 1735.

The #5 pick is worth 1700. This Makes John Vilma worth the #5 overall pick, which I think is fair considering he is a top 3 LB in their defense and he's only 25 years old. This leaves 35 points. Because this is Matt Millen, please spare me 35 points! It's a fair trade IMO. I know you want our first, but I think it is too much. Vilma is just such a stud in a 4-3.

jetsfan3
03-03-2007, 10:50 PM
Posted in the thread at the NFL forum, originally from the rumor mill at *not going to say name, don't know if it's against the rules, but I'm sure you all know*

JETS CONSIDERING A TRADE UP?

We're hearing that the New York Jets are considering an effort to trade up from the No. 25 spot in round one to the top of the draft.

The Jets would like to get in position to draft either receiver Calvin Johnson or running back Adrian Peterson.

To ensure that they'll get either guy, the Jets likely would have to land no lower than No. 3.

asmitty45
03-03-2007, 11:02 PM

Lions recieve:

Jonathan Vilma
Pick #37 (530)
Pick #57 (330)

Jets recieve

Pick #2 (2600)
6th round pick (15)

Lions give up 2615
Jets give up 880

The difference is 1735.

The #5 pick is worth 1700. This Makes John Vilma worth the #5 overall pick, which I think is fair considering he is a top 3 LB in their defense and he's only 25 years old. This leaves 35 points. Because this is Matt Millen, please spare me 35 points! It's a fair trade IMO. I know you want our first, but I think it is too much. Vilma is just such a stud in a 4-3.

Id take that deal, it gives us the ammo to move back into the first by having 2 early second rounders. OIr we could stay there and address 2 major Positions of need.

Any way you slice it I LOVE THIS TRADE!

WMD
03-03-2007, 11:35 PM
Wow, that'd be amazing. And we'd still have plenty of draft picks to move up if we felt the need to.. And I'd be very happy if we drafted another Miami player, Brandon Meriweather.

Mythos
03-03-2007, 11:37 PM

Lions recieve:

Jonathan Vilma
Pick #37 (530)
Pick #57 (330)

Jets recieve

Pick #2 (2600)
6th round pick (15)

Lions give up 2615
Jets give up 880

The difference is 1735.

Maybe your scenario + swap 34 for 25. The Jets could probably still grab Tyler at 34.

What were the Jet's looking to get from Washington for Vilma? The 6th straight-up?

casskid
03-04-2007, 01:44 AM
If this deal goes threw i dont think the Lions will trade back up into the first. It seems like everyone they targeted/coveted would be gone at that point. Maybe Johnson is still around, but i with all the talk of the staff being in love with Bazuin in round 3, i think they would just go CB, maybe OG in the second round. With Vilma you fix MLB for years, with Foster you fix one spot on the oline (either keep him at RT and move Scott inside, or vice versa), and some combo of Merriweather, Staley, Blalock, and McCauley(his intagiables are threw the roof), should still be all available. Picking Drew Stanton also just became alot more probable it seems with alot of needs being taken care of threw trades.

TacticaLion
03-04-2007, 07:10 AM
If this trade goes through, I dont CARE about anything else this offseason.

Notredameleo
03-04-2007, 09:06 AM
So is it going to happen, Did anyone hear anything else about it?

TacticaLion
03-04-2007, 09:18 AM
So is it going to happen, Did anyone hear anything else about it?I've been waiting anxiously, but havent heard anything.

Mythos
03-04-2007, 10:30 AM
I think your gonna be anxiously waiting 'til Apr. 28th for certainty about this trade possibility.

It seems like the Lions are committed to getting out of the two spot. I'm hoping that Oakland pulls a Houston and signs their player pre-draft. I could see the extra time and visibility helping the LIons' ability to trade down. If that happens, I'm not sure who Oakland could take to best benefit Detroit. I'm thinking a non-QB, maybe Thomas as I could see him having the widest appeal and maybe forcing some hands down the line.

WMD
03-04-2007, 03:42 PM
I think your gonna be anxiously waiting 'til Apr. 28th for certainty about this trade possibility.

It seems like the Lions are committed to getting out of the two spot. I'm hoping that Oakland pulls a Houston and signs their player pre-draft. I could see the extra time and visibility helping the LIons' ability to trade down. If that happens, I'm not sure who Oakland could take to best benefit Detroit. I'm thinking a non-QB, maybe Thomas as I could see him having the widest appeal and maybe forcing some hands down the line.

We need Oakland to take JaMarcus Russell.. I really don't think anybody is dying to trade up for him.. Calvin Johnson and Joe Thomas are guys teams would trade up for, they are regarded as the two 'sure things' of this years draft class.

WMD
03-04-2007, 04:11 PM
http://www.mlive.com/images/spacer.gif
http://www.mlive.com/lions/weblog/

Vilma trade? John Clayton says he never mentioned it
There is all kinds of talk, blogs and posts out there about ESPN's John Clayton supposedly mentioning a possible trade between the Lions and Jets that would involve Detroit's second overall pick for linebacker Jonathan Vilma and assorted draft picks.

"What? I never said a word about it. I've never mentioned Jonathan Vilma,'' Clayton said moments ago.

Ah, Internet rumors. At least this one got shot down before it grew into a monster.

TacticaLion
03-04-2007, 04:18 PM
Yep... saw that. I actually wrote an email to Tom asking about the rumor.

Bah... that sucks, though. I was hoping for that to pan out.

jetsfan3
http://www.mlive.com/images/spacer.gif
http://www.mlive.com/lions/weblog/

Vilma trade? John Clayton says he never mentioned it
There is all kinds of talk, blogs and posts out there about ESPN's John Clayton supposedly mentioning a possible trade between the Lions and Jets that would involve Detroit's second overall pick for linebacker Jonathan Vilma and assorted draft picks.

"What? I never said a word about it. I've never mentioned Jonathan Vilma,'' Clayton said moments ago.

Ah, Internet rumors. At least this one got shot down before it grew into a monster.

throwback54milkman has some serious explaining to do.

wingboy2999
Damn it... why'd this have to get shot down?

TacticaLion
03-04-2007, 04:19 PM
Damn it... why'd this have to get shot down?Haha... I know.

Maybe, from the rumor being created, the coaches might see it and seek a deal.

I hope.

Please?

jetsfan3
03-04-2007, 04:20 PM
Haha... I know.

Maybe, from the rumor being created, the coaches might see it and seek a deal.

I hope.

Please?

Haha, I'll call Mangini and tell him to look up NFLDraftCountdown.

TacticaLion
03-04-2007, 04:25 PM
Haha, I'll call Mangini and tell him to look up NFLDraftCountdown.Good deal... do that. I'll call Millen and... wake him up.

JOKE! I like Millen this year (so far).

jetsfan3
03-04-2007, 04:26 PM
Good deal... do that. I'll call Millen and... wake him up.

JOKE! I like Millen this year (so far).

LMAO!!!!!!!!

You like Millen so far . . . until he drafts Jarrett at #2. :)

detroit4life
03-04-2007, 06:38 PM
LMAO!!!!!!!!

You like Millen so far . . . until he drafts Jarrett at #2. :)

funny cuz if he went WR CJ would be the pick and is till wouldnt be mad since CJ is sick

TacticaLion
03-04-2007, 07:15 PM
funny cuz if he went WR CJ would be the pick and is till wouldnt be mad since CJ is sick
He is? I hope he gets better before the season starts...

JOKES! Wow... silly jokes. I, honestly, think the pick would be bad (especially now that we're signing Curtis).

Ah well. Have no fear; Marinelli is here!

detroit4life
03-04-2007, 09:45 PM
yeah CJ isnt going to be the pick but he is amazing

TacticaLion
03-04-2007, 10:12 PM
yeah CJ isnt going to be the pick but he is amazingBut... the REAL question is...

is he feeling better?

Wow... the jokes will stop... I promise.

Addict
03-05-2007, 02:19 AM
So is it going to happen, Did anyone hear anything else about it?

No, I am drowning in enormous oceans of impatience and anticipation.

jbombul
03-05-2007, 08:27 AM
lets all write a letter to the lions brass

TacticaLion
03-05-2007, 08:54 AM
Wait... it was already posted that this was just a rumor, John Clayton never made the statement and the Jets-Lions are not in trade talks (that we know of).

Addict
03-05-2007, 09:37 AM
Wait... it was already posted that this was just a rumor, John Clayton never made the statement and the Jets-Lions are not in trade talks (that we know of).

Wow, there's something flying out my bedroom window! oh my god, it's my dream of Vilma in a Lions jersey.

TacticaLion
03-05-2007, 10:35 AM
Wow, there's something flying out my bedroom window! oh my god, it's my dream of Vilma in a Lions jersey.Wow... awkward dream... I wont ask, ok?

Addict
03-05-2007, 10:54 AM
Wow... awkward dream... I wont ask, ok?

Don't ask and I won't tell. Deal?

TacticaLion
03-05-2007, 12:23 PM
Don't ask and I won't tell. Deal?Will I get a HUGE signing bonus?

I, like other NFL free agents, won't accept this deal unless a "phat check" is provided.

Addict
03-05-2007, 12:37 PM
Will I get a HUGE signing bonus?

I, like other NFL free agents, won't accept this deal unless a "phat check" is provided.

lol. congrats, you just earned yourself another rep point ;)

And I'd love to give you a signing bonus, but I'm overpaying you with all this hot air as it is.

TacticaLion
03-05-2007, 12:50 PM
lol. congrats, you just earned yourself another rep point ;)

And I'd love to give you a signing bonus, but I'm overpaying you with all this hot air as it is.HAHA! I guess it's one in the same over an internet forum.

Addict
03-05-2007, 01:05 PM
HAHA! I guess it's one in the same over an internet forum.

Yeah. Imagine the contract talk: 'my client wants a minimum of fifty-five characters of hot air coming his way every day, for two straight weeks as well as a 150 character signing bonus'

LB51
03-05-2007, 01:13 PM
wow in all honesty this would be great for Vilma because it would allow him to go back to the 4-3 where he was insane, also this would be a great step for detroit because they could really really improve there D with a player of vilma's caliber

Addict
03-05-2007, 01:19 PM
wow in all honesty this would be great for Vilma because it would allow him to go back to the 4-3 where he was insane, also this would be a great step for detroit because they could really really improve there D with a player of vilma's caliber

Read a couple of posts back, this was just a rumor. And a bogus one, unfortunately. Vilma would've worked miracles for our D.

TacticaLion
03-05-2007, 01:32 PM
Yeah. Imagine the contract talk: 'my client wants a minimum of fifty-five characters of hot air coming his way every day, for two straight weeks as well as a 150 character signing bonus'HAHA! "...minimum of 55 chars of hot air coming his way every day..."... thats some funny ****.

Silly internet.

About the trade: I would probably start a thread voting Millen in as the greatest GM of all time. Sure, i'd take some heat, but it would be worth it.

Addict
03-05-2007, 01:58 PM
HAHA! "...minimum of 55 chars of hot air coming his way every day..."... thats some funny ****.

Silly internet.

About the trade: I would probably start a thread voting Millen in as the greatest GM of all time. Sure, i'd take some heat, but it would be worth it.

Actually I read up on Millen's actions, and even though he's messed up a bunch of times, all his moves made sense when he has made them. With Marinelli actually making him get players with some team spirit. We might actually (God willing) start having some winning seasons again.

TacticaLion
03-05-2007, 02:28 PM
Actually I read up on Millen's actions, and even though he's messed up a bunch of times, all his moves made sense when he has made them. With Marinelli actually making him get players with some team spirit. We might actually (God willing) start having some winning seasons again.I've never been completely against a Millen move (although the MWilliams was questionable). This offseason may shift how many feel about his "GMness".

Maybe not. But it should.

Addict
03-05-2007, 02:33 PM
I've never been completely against a Millen move (although the MWilliams was questionable). This offseason may shift how many feel about his "GMness".

You know it won't. Millen is the kinda guy everybody loves to hate.

TacticaLion
03-05-2007, 02:38 PM
You know it won't. Millen is the kinda guy everybody loves to hate.Very true. I hope he stays forever... especially when we win the division over the 1-15 Bears.

Addict
03-05-2007, 02:44 PM
Very true. I hope he stays forever... especially when we win the division over the 1-15 Bears.

I'll be happy to win the division. Period.

detroit4life
03-05-2007, 02:59 PM
I've never been completely against a Millen move (although the MWilliams was questionable). This offseason may shift how many feel about his "GMness".

BMW was a terrible draft pick no way of suporting it we passed on merriman and derrick johnson for him and it really doesnt get much worse than that

Addict
03-05-2007, 03:15 PM
BMW was a terrible draft pick no way of suporting it we passed on merriman and derrick johnson for him and it really doesnt get much worse than that

Yes, being a GM is very easy in hindsight.

LionSmack
03-05-2007, 03:18 PM
You're right, hindsight is useless. Therefore the only measure of moves that are made is, did they work? And way way too many of Millen's moves haven't, regardless of how much sense they made. You have to be lucky to be good and vice versa.

Actually I read up on Millen's actions, and even though he's messed up a bunch of times, all his moves made sense when he has made them.
Who's using hindsight now?

Addict
03-05-2007, 03:24 PM
Actually I read up on Millen's actions, and even though he's messed up a bunch of times, all his moves made sense when he has made them.

Who's using hindsight now?

'All his moves made sense when he has made them'

in other words: they look bad in hindsight, but when he made them, they looked solid.

That's not hindsight, that's looking back without using it.

TacticaLion
03-05-2007, 03:44 PM
BMW was a terrible draft pick no way of suporting it we passed on merriman and derrick johnson for him and it really doesnt get much worse than thatIf BMW had playing time to prove himself, and Merriman would've underperformed, the pick would've looked solid.

(As others have said), you can always look back and question a pick after years have passed, but many thought that MWilliams was the best player in that draft. I STILL dont agree with the pick, but Millen didn't "reach" in the eyes of many.

Xiomera
03-05-2007, 05:43 PM
ESPN reporting that the Jets have traded for Thomas Jones . . . this rumor is officially toast.

TacticaLion
03-05-2007, 06:05 PM
ESPN reporting that the Jets have traded for Thomas Jones . . . this rumor is officially toast.Unless they didn't trade draft picks.

They could still target CJ with the pick... which would be outstanding for the team.

The rumor is false anyway.

(West Bloomfield... I grew up in Bloomfield... went to Lahser.)

Xiomera
03-05-2007, 06:07 PM
Unless they didn't trade draft picks.

They could still target CJ with the pick... which would be outstanding for the team.

The rumor is false anyway.

(West Bloomfield... I grew up in Bloomfield... went to Lahser.)

My dad went to Lahser.

TacticaLion
03-05-2007, 06:14 PM
My dad went to Lahser.Haha... good ****. I graduated in '03. Lived at Sq Lake and Woodward for about 10 years.

I wish I still lived up there.

WMD
03-05-2007, 06:28 PM

Ugh, don't remind me.. I wanted Derrick Johnson badly! http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/5545/smileysadba7.gif

Scotty D
03-05-2007, 06:30 PM
ESPN reporting that the Jets have traded for Thomas Jones . . . this rumor is officially toast.

Well they still have two second rounders. Well nah its toast. It seemed so perfect though!!!

Xiomera
03-05-2007, 06:32 PM
Well they still have two second rounders. Well nah its toast. It seemed so perfect though!!!
They got their RB, Peterson isn't a need any longer. And I doubt they go after CJ.

I think we can officially shift our desires to a trade down w/ Arizona now.

D-Unit
03-05-2007, 06:33 PM
Ugh, don't remind me.. I wanted Derrick Johnson badly! http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/5545/smileysadba7.gif
Hey, don't forget you passed on Ware! :D

Wassup my Lions e-buddies!

Xiomera
03-05-2007, 06:37 PM
Hey, don't forget you passed on Ware! :D

Wassup my Lions e-buddies!

It's gonna cost you rep points for all of us to be posting in here . . .

D-Unit
03-05-2007, 06:42 PM
It's gonna cost you rep points for all of us to be posting in here . . .
What duh! NOooooo! Not the Rep Points!!!! Anything but the rep points, puhleeeeeeze!!! :D

Where's our baseball league forum thread xio???

Xiomera
03-05-2007, 07:07 PM
What duh! NOooooo! Not the Rep Points!!!! Anything but the rep points, puhleeeeeeze!!! :D

Where's our baseball league forum thread xio???

You got your thread . . . now where's my points?