PDA

View Full Version : Which QBs best fit the WCO

DiG
12-24-2008, 07:40 AM
I'm interested to hear some opinions from the more knowledgeable posters on the board as to which quarterbacks would be best suited to play in a West Coast Offense. This post isn't meant to refer to any specific team. Just looking back at a high level, and assuming that the Lions take Stafford with the first pick, I think that a lot of teams that run some version of the WCO could be looking at quarterbacks in the 2-4 round range.

Seattle probably the most notable. Also, in Philly it's hard to know how much longer McNabb will be around, and is Kolb the answer. Tampa can in no way count on Garcia/Greise much longer, and we know how Gruden loves his qbs. If the Vikings believe in Tarvaris Jackson then they can probably be left off this list. In Washington, Campbell is in the last year of his contract and Todd Collings will probably retire or go somewhere else, so unless the Skins resign Campbell then only Colt remains. Not sure San Fran is regarded as a technical WCO anymore, although I do still think that they are a version of it. It's hard to simply cut ties with a #1 overall but its getting very close to that point and I can see them drafting a qb at some point either this year or next.

Cigaro
12-24-2008, 08:27 AM
Sam Bradford among top notch guys, Graham Harrell or Cullen Harper for tier two guys.

SuperKevin
12-24-2008, 09:44 AM
Despite my flaming of him in College, I think you have a solid WCO QB in the wings in Colt Brennan.

Shane P. Hallam
12-24-2008, 10:07 AM
I think Bradford is a QB who may only excel in a good WCO.

the decider13
12-24-2008, 10:21 AM
I was gonna come in here and praise Bradford as a good WCO quarterback, but everyone beat me to it. I'm not sure if it is the only way he succeeds, but I do think that is the best fit for him. I Don't know how I feel about harrell in WCO.

Smokey Joe
12-24-2008, 10:23 AM
Mark Sanchez, if he does declare. He can play in pretty much any system, but he has been learning and playing under a WCO his whole collegiate career.

Smokey Joe
12-24-2008, 10:24 AM
Oh, another good second-third rounder guy for the WCO would be Rhett Bhomar. He'd be perfect for the Bucs.

DiG
12-24-2008, 10:53 AM
Oh, another good second-third rounder guy for the WCO would be Rhett Bhomar. He'd be perfect for the Bucs.

What makes him perfect? Does he have a quick release? Footwork? Experience? I can't say I'm an expert this year on the quarterbacks so I'm looking for a bit more analysis on what these guys do that makes them good fits for a WCO.

Smokey Joe
12-24-2008, 11:01 AM
What makes him perfect? Does he have a quick release? Footwork? Experience? I can't say I'm an expert this year on the quarterbacks so I'm looking for a bit more analysis on what these guys do that makes them good fits for a WCO.
He's got a really quick release, very good mobility, and can throw on the run. I haven't seen him a ton, mostly just what I barely recall from his freshman year at OU and some Samn Houston St. highlights. However, what I have seen from him, WCO QB jumped out to me.

ljk2171
12-24-2008, 11:07 AM
Nate Davis if he comes out is a prototypical WCO QB. He has good accuracy, nice frame, and goes through his progressions about as well as any QB to come out in the past few years. He also has the big arm to go downfield when the time comes. His biggest knock is his footwork. I also question his pocket presence a little bit, he does make me nervous at times when the pocket collapses. He will have to use his legs earlier in his NFL career until he develops more experience.

I followed him pretty closely this year after seeing him in the International Bowl last year. I think he is best suited for a very structured system such as the WCO.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-24-2008, 11:13 AM
Bradford as a WCO QB, is why I have given him to the Seahawks in all my mocks. It is one of the few situations in which I think he's more likely to succeed than fail.

SuperKevin
12-24-2008, 11:14 AM
Bradford as a WCO QB, is why I have given him to the Seahawks in all my mocks. It is one of the few situations in which I think he's more likely to succeed than fail.

Are they going to stay WCO after Holmgren is done?

SeanTaylorRIP
12-24-2008, 11:21 AM
Are they going to stay WCO after Holmgren is done?

I guess that would depend on the coach, is Jim Mora Jr. the favorite for the job still?

SuperKevin
12-24-2008, 11:22 AM
I guess that would depend on the coach, is Jim Mora Jr. the favorite for the job still?

Believe he's still considered the successor.

PACKmanN
12-24-2008, 11:23 AM
He's got a really quick release, very good mobility, and can throw on the run. I haven't seen him a ton, mostly just what I barely recall from his freshman year at OU and some Samn Houston St. highlights. However, what I have seen from him, WCO QB jumped out to me.

lolz, sounds like Aaron Rodgers.

Smokey Joe
12-24-2008, 11:32 AM
lolz, sounds like Aaron Rodgers.
They're actually the same person. Keep it on the down-low...

Babylon
12-24-2008, 01:07 PM
Believe he's still considered the successor.

He's the head coach as of next sunday night.

illmatic74
12-24-2008, 01:59 PM
If you really think about it there is no true West Coast offense right now. Even though each NFL team has west coast principles. So every team is pretty much looking for the same type of quarterback.

Habibi
12-24-2008, 02:34 PM
Colt McCoy is the perfect WCO offense QB. Has a quick release, is extremely accurate within 20 yards, and throws well the run. Sam Bradford also is a good candidate for the WCO. I actually think Sam Bradford is the perfect guy for the Seahawks. He'll be able to sit behind Matt Hasselbeck, who's very similar to Bradford himself, for a couple of years, learn the offense, and I do think he has the skill set to excel in the WCO.

Then you have Matthew Stafford, who transcends offensive schemes.

diabsoule
12-24-2008, 02:36 PM
I think the list for WCO would go as follows:

1. Sam Bradford (although not immediately, might have to wait at least a year or two)
2. Nathan Brown
3. Mike Reilly
4. Chase Daniel

Paranoidmoonduck
12-24-2008, 05:06 PM
Is there a reason that Stafford is being ignored entirely? A strong arm doesn't preclude you from functioning in the WCO. In fact, I'd say that some of the ability Stafford has demonstrated in making those quick timing throws would place him near the top of this list.

princefielder28
12-24-2008, 05:44 PM
Mark Sanchez, if he does declare. He can play in pretty much any system, but he has been learning and playing under a WCO his whole collegiate career.

Mark Sanchez should be kept out of the discussion; he doesn't read defenses as well as some believe and that would greatly hinder his abilities in an NFL WCO.

SenorGato
12-24-2008, 06:01 PM
If you really think about it there is no true West Coast offense right now. Even though each NFL team has west coast principles. So every team is pretty much looking for the same type of quarterback.

Exactly. I was going to post this, but you beat me to it.

A good QB is a good QB and will fit into most/all NFL systems if he's taught/brought along correctly.

Still for the hell of it...I like Nate Davis some.

Smokey Joe
12-24-2008, 06:12 PM
Mark Sanchez should be kept out of the discussion; he doesn't read defenses as well as some believe and that would greatly hinder his abilities in an NFL WCO.

Well, given the fact his whole collegiate career has been in a WCO, I think he should earn some consideration. Reading defenses is an ability a player can get better at with learning. Look at Kyle Orton, while is very much mediocre, his ability to read defenses has improved tremendously since his rookie season (however, ever since KO's ankle injury, he has forgotten how to read defenses). It isn't one of those skills you either have or you don't.

HorusKing
12-24-2008, 07:08 PM
Here is my list.

1. Sam Bradford - OU
2. Mark Sanchez - USC - If he declares.
3. Graham Harrell - Texas Tech
4. Colt Mccoy - Texas - If he declares
5. Tim Tebow - UF - Need time to develope like Steve Young.

TheGM
12-24-2008, 07:39 PM
I'll leave the well known guys out of it for now and add to the votes for Nate Davis. I'll also say that Drew Willy would be a nice late round/developmental guy for the west coast offense.

Trivia
12-24-2008, 08:42 PM
Craig Nall would be a really good fit.

Malaka
12-25-2008, 11:52 AM
Sam Bradford would be an excellent fit in the WCO, if he can go to a team running that system he can be a perennial pro bowler. He is a perfect fit for that scheme IMO, he has an average NFL arm, but great intangibles, accuracy, mobility, and football IQ for the West coast offense.

yourfavestoner
12-25-2008, 12:41 PM
Tim ******* Tebow

etk
12-25-2008, 01:57 PM
I'll leave the well known guys out of it for now and add to the votes for Nate Davis. I'll also say that Drew Willy would be a nice late round/developmental guy for the west coast offense.

I disagree about Davis. He's good enough for any system, not just the WCO. I know you didn't say that yourself but people tend to get the wrong idea when this discussion is brought up before the draft. Davis threw a bomb against CMU off his back foot that went at least 40-50 yards and landed right in his receiver's hands...but it was dropped. He's the complete package pretty much and his arm strength is better than his accuracy and mental tools IMO.

Definitely agree on Drew Willy. He has Brad Johnson written all over him.

Tim ******* Tebow

Sure, Gruden could use a new Alstott.