PDA

View Full Version : Greg Hardy

bigbluedefense
12-24-2008, 01:03 PM
whats the latest news on him? is he staying in college? he's my favorite 4-3 DE in this draft, but he's not on scott's big board.

is he slipping on draft boards?

Scott Wright
12-24-2008, 01:06 PM
I think he's pretty much a lock to come out.

He has never been a big fan of school and he has clashed with the coaching staff.

I am a HUGE fan of this guy. He will probably drop to the latter part of round one due to the factors I mentioned about and some durability concerns but the guy is a big time talent. I think he has as much pure ability as Derrick Harvey.

Turtlepower
12-24-2008, 01:06 PM
He has been slipping a lot this year due to a combination of playing with a foot injury and some minor character issues. Some say he has fallen out of the 1st round if he does declare. I am with you BBD in saying he is my favorite DE in this class.

bigbluedefense
12-24-2008, 01:10 PM

He has never been a big fan of school and he has clashed with the coaching staff.

I am a HUGE fan of this guy. He will probably drop to the latter part of round one due to the factors I mentioned about and some durability concerns but the guy is a big time talent. I think he has as much pure ability as Derrick Harvey.

sweeeeeeeeeet. fall all the way to the Giants baby! haha

Can you see a Quentin Groves like drop?

bigbluedefense
12-24-2008, 01:11 PM
He has been slipping a lot this year due to a combination of playing with a foot injury and some minor character issues. Some say he has fallen out of the 1st round if he does declare. I am with you BBD in saying he is my favorite DE in this class.

he's actually my favorite DE prospect in awhile. I love his combination of strength, speed, pass rush moves, technique and motor.

He has a good size to him. Long arms. Physically, he's my favorite DE since Mario Williams.

bored of education
12-24-2008, 01:11 PM

My dream scenario is the Chiefs draft Curry then pick up Hardy. Hardy is my fav 43 DE prospect this year. So much talent and solid technique wise. It seems he just needs to get away from college.

Menardo75
12-24-2008, 01:25 PM
I totally agree with all of you he is my number one DE in this class as well.

Turtlepower
12-24-2008, 01:27 PM
Earlier this season, I had him as a top-5 prospect regardless of position. I still think that he can be that good.

Menardo75
12-24-2008, 01:28 PM
Earlier this season, I had him as a top-5 prospect regardless of position. I still think that he can be that good.

Absolutely once he gets healthy. If he is healthy for the combine teams will fall back in love with him.

bigbluedefense
12-24-2008, 01:30 PM
Absolutely once he gets healthy. If he is healthy for the combine teams will fall back in love with him.

i hope not.

if for some reason this guy were to fall to the Giants, and Reese selected him id do cartwheels.

I don't think he times that well anyway. We're looking at a 4.8 40. His game is more technique and motor than blazing speed.

Xonraider
12-24-2008, 01:32 PM
sweeeeeeeeeet. fall all the way to the Giants baby! haha

Can you see a Quentin Groves like drop?

Your team has no problems finding DE's, you'll do fine without him hehe

bigbluedefense
12-24-2008, 01:33 PM
Your team has no problems finding DE's, you'll do fine without him hehe

haha, you can never have too many ;)

our defense is all about sending hell at the qb. if somehow, someway we can nab this guy and have a nickel dline that consists of Osi, Tuck, Kiwi and Hardy, i don't know how you can block that 4 man rush.

bored of education
12-24-2008, 01:34 PM
haha, you can never have too many ;)

our defense is all about sending hell at the qb. if somehow, someway we can nab this guy and have a nickel dline that consists of Osi, Tuck, Kiwi and Hardy, i don't know how you can block that 4 man rush.

DUMP PASS/SCREEN THE **** OUT OF YOU GUYS

:)

bigbluedefense
12-24-2008, 01:38 PM
DUMP PASS/SCREEN THE **** OUT OF YOU GUYS

:)

you can't do that on every 3rd and long :)

oh who am i kidding. every player i have a hard on for winds up playing for our divisional rivals.

I guess you can put Hardy in a Redskins jersey now :(

Turtlepower
12-24-2008, 01:40 PM
you can't do that on every 3rd and long :)

oh who am i kidding. every player i have a hard on for winds up playing for our divisional rivals.

I guess you can put Hardy in a Redskins jersey now :(

Kenny Phillips!!!!

bigbluedefense
12-24-2008, 01:43 PM
Kenny Phillips!!!!

he was actually my #2 guy. My #1 realistic pick was Mike Jenkins (Cowboys).

Im very pleased with how it turned out though :)

adschofield
12-24-2008, 02:00 PM
So how explosive is Hardy?

sbh15
12-24-2008, 02:18 PM
So how explosive is Hardy?

Quite, some people say he's the best pass-rushing defensive end in the class.

Smokey Joe
12-24-2008, 02:24 PM
Brian Orakpo says hi!

bored of education
12-24-2008, 02:28 PM
Brian Orakpo says hi!

You're Brian Orakpo?

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Smokey Joe
12-24-2008, 02:34 PM
You're Brian Orakpo?

:eek: :eek: :eek:
No, he told me to say hi. Get real, me Brian Orakpo? Obviously he's just chilling at my house right now... don't be stupid ;)

diabsoule
12-24-2008, 02:39 PM
Greg Hardy is easily my favorite DE of this class if he opts to come out. I like how he is effective against both the pass and the rush, as well as his insane physical skills.

Orakpo and Larry English are probably the next two in my top 3 of this year's DE's.

Don Vito
12-24-2008, 02:40 PM
Hardy is my favorite player in college football. Granted I am biased because I go to Ole Miss but I really think he is going to be a stud if he can stay healthy. He has had some injury issues but I think people are worrying about the character issues and the reported "clashes" with the coaching staff. Hardy wanted to get on the field before he was fully healthy and Nutt wanted to wait until he was 100% so he didn't reinjure it, it is not like Hardy half asses it in practice all the time or anything. He just wanted to be on the field.

Everyone loves him at Ole Miss, he will stop and talk to anyone. I've played basketball with him a couple of times in our gym and one of the kids we were playing with asked if he was coming back next year and added that everyone was a huge fan of his. Hardy said he appreciates it very much and if he doesn't come back keep rooting for him on Sundays. He is a good guy and never causes problems when he is at bars or anything and doesn't make any off field headlines.

I really think (call me a homer) that he is the best all around end in this class. He can get to the quarterback with finesse or pure power and is great against the run. He always goes for the strip as well. He has the size, strength, and is an off the charts athlete. I really don't know if anyone knows how good he can be because he couldn't stay on the field, but he had 9 sacks in limited time and definitely has limitless potential.

SenorGato
12-24-2008, 03:00 PM
I too was on the Hardy hype train from Day 1.

He's big, he's versatile, he can rush the passer, when he's on the field motor isn't a question, he's the best playmaker as a pass rusher in this draft....I can keep going...anytime he stepped on the field during his college career you had to watch him.

He can be a special player as a pro IMO. Hopefully he keeps/gets his head straight and do his thing this offseason and beyond.

Oh, and besides for being the top 4-3 DE prospect IMO, I think he can be pretty damn sick as an OLB in a 3-4. He's very similarly built to guys like Calvin Pace and Mike Vrabel, and he's had a ton of roles played for that team...his versatility is one of the biggest reasons he's so highly rated IMO. He's not too different from Merriman as a prospect IMO.

bigbluedefense
12-24-2008, 04:29 PM
chill guys. im not digging all this Greg Hardy love. he needs to fall in the draft.

BeerBaron
12-24-2008, 04:31 PM
Assuming that Orakpo goes much higher than where the Bears are picking, I have Hardy as my #2 Want just behind Everette Brown.

If we come away from draft day with one of those 2, i'll be plenty pleased.

bigbluedefense
12-24-2008, 04:32 PM
Assuming that Orakpo goes much higher than where the Bears are picking, I have Hardy as my #2 Want just behind Everette Brown.

Everrette Brown is more of a Tampa 2 guy. I think if him and Hardy were both on the board, Chicago would take Brown over Hardy.

BeerBaron
12-24-2008, 04:42 PM
Everrette Brown is more of a Tampa 2 guy. I think if him and Hardy were both on the board, Chicago would take Brown over Hardy.

well like I said, Hardy is my #2 want behind Brown, but I'm not going to be too upset if we come away from the first round with either.

bigbluedefense
12-24-2008, 04:43 PM
well like I said, Hardy is my #2 want behind Brown, but I'm not going to be too upset if we come away from the first round with either.

oh i read that wrong.

you sure you don't want a WR? ;)

BeerBaron
12-24-2008, 04:45 PM
oh i read that wrong.

you sure you don't want a WR? ;)

If Crabtree is there I'll take him, lol. If neither of those DE's is there, I could be talked into taking DHB or even Britt if he has a hell of a good workout and moves into the first range.

I'm tired of our midget WR's......no one over 6'0. That needs fixed and Maclin/Harvin just won't be doing it. Too much like Hester......

bigbluedefense
12-24-2008, 04:55 PM
If Crabtree is there I'll take him, lol. If neither of those DE's is there, I could be talked into taking DHB or even Britt if he has a hell of a good workout and moves into the first range.

I'm tired of our midget WR's......no one over 6'0. That needs fixed and Maclin/Harvin just won't be doing it. Too much like Hester......

Hardy is such an athletic freak they even line him up at WR. haha, have you ever seen it? its insane. he's such a freak athlete.

you'd kill 2 birds with 1 stone with the guy ;)

coordinator0
12-24-2008, 05:47 PM
Hardy is such an athletic freak they even line him up at WR. haha, have you ever seen it? its insane. he's such a freak athlete.

you'd kill 2 birds with 1 stone with the guy ;)

Would I be wrong in saying he compares to Julius Peppers? From what you guys have been saying, it sounds like he should be a top 10 pick. Perhaps Baltimore could let Suggs go and draft Hardy... Think of the ways he'd be used in that defense!

BeerBaron
12-24-2008, 05:49 PM
Would I be wrong in saying he compares to Julius Peppers? From what you guys have been saying, it sounds like he should be a top 10 pick. Perhaps Baltimore could let Suggs go and draft Hardy... Think of the ways he'd be used in that defense!

On ability he's a top 10 pick, yes. But as has been stated, personality issues, clashes with the coaching staff and injury concerns will knock him down.

Smokey Joe
12-24-2008, 06:15 PM

No. 1 should be Suggs... Dude's a beast.

bigbluedefense
12-24-2008, 06:48 PM

no offense to Hardy, but he isn't in Peppers league when it comes to measurables.

having that said, he's 10x the technician Peppers ever was.

regoob2
12-24-2008, 08:09 PM
Quite, some people say he's the best pass-rushing defensive end in the class.
Everette Brown is better.

12-24-2008, 08:25 PM
Everette Brown is better.

In a 43 no one in this class compares, he's got it all. It would be a shame if he indeed did fall due to injury / character concerns because athletes like him at that position are certainly not a dime a dozen.

regoob2
12-24-2008, 09:14 PM
In a 43 no one in this class compares, he's got it all. It would be a shame if he indeed did fall due to injury / character concerns because athletes like him at that position are certainly not a dime a dozen.I agree that he may be a better fit in the 4-3 because of his size but not his athleticism. Brown is a much much better athlete. Possible 4.5 40.

12-24-2008, 09:39 PM
I agree that he may be a better fit in the 4-3 because of his size but not his athleticism. Brown is a much much better athlete. Possible 4.5 40.

Without question but I was mainly referring to 43 DEs and Brown will probably play the 34 in the pros.

Don Vito
12-24-2008, 09:44 PM
The guy has caught three TDs lined up as a WR in his career at 6-5 260. But he is so much more than a freakish athlete, he knows how to get to the QB in so many ways and is great against the run, not to mention he can drop back in coverage. I think he is an elite 4-3 RE prospect with the ability to star at LE and 3-4 OLB.

adschofield
12-24-2008, 09:49 PM
So who's better at rushing the passer? Hardy, Brown, or Orakpo?

regoob2
Without question but I was mainly referring to 43 DEs and Brown will probably play the 34 in the pros.He'll be just as valuable in a 4-3 as he will be in a 3-4.

regoob2
So who's better at rushing the passer? Hardy, Brown, or Orakpo?imo Brown.

Don Vito
12-24-2008, 09:53 PM
So who's better at rushing the passer? Hardy, Brown, or Orakpo?

I'll take Hardy. He can get to the QB with his athleticism or his power and always produces when he is on the field. He is more than a freakish athlete.

regoob2
12-24-2008, 09:55 PM
I'll take Hardy. He can get to the QB with his athleticism or his power and always produces when he is on the field. He is more than a freakish athlete.Are you trying to imply that Brown is just a freakish athlete?

Don Vito
12-24-2008, 09:58 PM
Are you trying to imply that Brown is just a freakish athlete?

Not at all. I was just saying Hardy is a freakish athlete but so much more than that. Brown can get to the QB but I think Hardy is more well rounded. Brown is more of a finesse rusher.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-24-2008, 10:31 PM
Brown has wicked power for someone his size. It's fun to watch him line up inside for the Seminoles and just blow over and past offensive guards. He's a really natural pass rusher and a great athlete.

But I think I like Hardy a little bit more. If Brown gets a good release, he'll home down on the runner quickly, but I don't see a whole lot of gap control ability from him. Hardy, on the other hand, has really good handwork and places himself well. I know he has some outlying concerns, but I haven't delved into them all that closely, but I know he is the best all-around defensive end in the draft.

SenorGato
12-24-2008, 11:15 PM
Not at all. I was just saying Hardy is a freakish athlete but so much more than that. Brown can get to the QB but I think Hardy is more well rounded. Brown is more of a finesse rusher.

Brown's game is well rounded, and he's stronger than you're giving him credit for.

I absolutely love Hardy and Brown as prospects...Brown might get ranked a little higher because he's a better character guy and doesn't have an injury history...but I think both of them are pretty interchangeable as 1 and 2 in the DE class.

Man if the Jets came away with one of these guys in the first round...and please don't remind me that we drafted a DE/OLB prospect last year simply because 2 > 1.

RaiderNation
12-30-2008, 12:54 AM
Do you guys think Hardy can play 3-4 OLB? Or is he better off at DE in a 4-3

Paranoidmoonduck
12-30-2008, 01:04 AM
Do you guys think Hardy can play 3-4 OLB? Or is he better off at DE in a 4-3

If I'm being honest, I think he could. But, to be realistic, I think Hardy has some room to grow, and it may be more work to keep him in the 265 range than it's worth. He'll probably wind up a 4-3 defensive end.

bigbluedefense
12-30-2008, 11:50 AM
Greg Hardy reminds me of Jared Allen.

Everette Brown reminds me of DeMarcus Ware.

TACKLE
12-30-2008, 12:11 PM
Back to the question about who is the best pass rusher.

It's Everette Brown without a doubt. He is ridiculously explosive off the ball and as great speed in pursuit. He also has some great pass rush moves including a devastating spin moves. Though he is probably not the best overall DE and might not be a good fit in a 4-3, he is in my mind, the best pure pass rusher I've seen in a couple years.

the decider13
12-30-2008, 12:52 PM
I would like to see hardy in orange and blue. Bronco D-line is crap. I doubt they even had double digit sacks this year haha