View Full Version : Top Small School Running Backs

jessekopplin77
12-24-2008, 02:27 PM
Tyler Roehl
5'10" 232 lbs
Senior(RS) Running Back
North Dakota State

Strengths
Has a very good size being 5'10" 232 lbs. Is very quick going through the holes, and finding openings. Has put up very productive stats the past two seasons for NDSU. Is a very physical and pounding running back going through holes. Has above average receiving abilities, and has put up adequate receiving stats. Sophomore year he was primarily played during Pass plays, and racked up a good number of receiving yards. Started out as a FB, and was able to transition over to the RB position. Offers great pass blocking skills for QBs. Reminds me a lot of Peyton Hillis, and could have a great upside. Had a huge game against Minnesota, that most people remember seeing on Sports Center, and put up 263 yds rushing. Link for highlights of that game is below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GNk8EDKFCw

Weaknesses
Put up great numbers Junior year in Division II, and a lot of DII Running Backs are able to put up overflated stats. Senior year NDSU moved to DI, but still only played low marginal teams. Definately, is not the fastest Running Back, and expect him to run a slow 40. (Somewhere around 4.6) There is a lot of problems with DII Running Backs, and only more tape will show those problems.

NFL Outlook
(Best) - Peyton Hillis
(Worst) - Practice Squad

There are other Small School Running Backs such as: Rashad Jennings, Brandon Ore (came from VT, will get looked at good) , Anthony "Bernard" Scott, and a few others. FEEL FREE TO GIVE YOUR THOUGHTS AND OPINIONS ON TYLER ROEHL, AND THE OTHER SMALL SCHOOL RUNNING BACKS!

Smokey Joe
12-24-2008, 02:37 PM
Rashad Jennings is easily the best, and could go in the top 50, IMO. I like Roehl, but he's likely not gonna get drafted. He could turn out to be a solid backup and special teamer however. He always gives 110% and has a never quit attitude, and I like that a lot.

sbh15
12-24-2008, 02:38 PM
Peyton Hillis is a terrific receiver, Mike Shanahan planned on using him as an H-Back on plays where guys like Pope and Young were in before his injury if IIRC. That highlight only showed one play, I don't know anything about the guy, but it seems that there's only one small school running back every year or so that does something (Hightower in 08). Rashad Jennings is the only one I can see making a splash this year.

jessekopplin77
12-24-2008, 02:39 PM
Rashad Jennings is easily the best, and could go in the top 50, IMO. I like Roehl, but he's likely not gonna get drafted. He could turn out to be a solid backup and special teamer however. He always gives 110% and has a never quit attitude, and I like that a lot.

Yes, I agree. The only reason I did Tyler Roehl was because he is a very interesting prospect, and I think he is a good back. Many scouts really like Rashad Jennings, and I can't blame them.

Race for the Heisman
12-24-2008, 02:55 PM
I'm not that impressed with Jennings. Top 50? Maybe in the fourth but not much before then.

jessekopplin77
12-24-2008, 02:59 PM
Well, I think we all definately know that this year's Running Back class will be nothing like last years for sure! Last years class was very very very deep.

bearsfan_51
12-24-2008, 03:02 PM
Jennings will time very well, which will help his stock among those not fully aware of what he's done. My biggest issue with Jennings, and why I view him as more of a late 2nd-3rd round type is that he was rarely asked to be a pass catcher in college. If I spend a 1st or 2nd round pick on a guy I want to know that he's capable of doing it all, and I just haven't seen much from Jennings that shows he's a capable option in the passing game.

Race for the Heisman
12-24-2008, 03:07 PM
Jennings will time very well, which will help his stock among those not fully aware of what he's done. My biggest issue with Jennings, and why I view him as more of a late 2nd-3rd round type is that he was rarely asked to be a pass catcher in college. If I spend a 1st or 2nd round pick on a guy I want to know that he's capable of doing it all, and I just haven't seen much from Jennings that shows he's a capable option in the passing game.

I'm actually okay with Jennings' hands, I just think his overall skill set is not top 100 potential. Just my view of it.

'cuse-213
12-24-2008, 09:06 PM
I watched one game of Toby Gerhart (I think is the name) out of Stanford and he really impressed me. He tore it up and seemed like a real balanced back.

Race for the Heisman
12-24-2008, 11:10 PM
I watched one game of Toby Gerhart (I think is the name) out of Stanford and he really impressed me. He tore it up and seemed like a real balanced back.

Stanford isn't exactly a small school...

Paranoidmoonduck
12-24-2008, 11:14 PM
If I spend a 1st or 2nd round pick on a guy I want to know that he's capable of doing it all, and I just haven't seen much from Jennings that shows he's a capable option in the passing game.

Does that mean that Chris Well isn't in your top 64?

Race for the Heisman
12-24-2008, 11:16 PM
Does that mean that Chris Well isn't in your top 64?

Come now, let's be realistic. Adrian Peterson wasn't exactly proven in the passing game either. 5, 9, and 10 receptions in his three seasons, to be exact.

Hokie's#1
12-24-2008, 11:43 PM

Hey buddy. How in the world is Stanford a small school? They are Division 1 and play in the Pac 10 idiot. They have 14,000 students so explain to me how is it a small school?

Here is a list of draftable small school running backs.

RB - Herb Donaldson - Western Illinois
RB - Obozua Ehikioya - Marist
RB - Mike Hamilton - Georgia Southern
RB - Rashad Jennings - Liberty
RB - Nate Kmic - Mount Union
RB - Corey Lewis - Northern Iowa
RB - Jay Lucas - Southeastern Louisiana
RB - Mike McLeod - Yale
RB - Branden Ore - West Liberty State
RB - JT Rogan - San Diego
RB - Bernard Scott - Abilene Christian
RB - Jordan Scott - Colgate
RB - Jerry Seymour - Glenville State
RB - Javarris Williams - Tennessee State
RB - Josh Vaughan - Richmond

jessekopplin77
12-25-2008, 01:49 PM
I think one of the Running Backs that could end up going in the 3rd round is Brandon Ore. He played for Virgina Tech, until he got kicked out or left. Not quite sure what happend, but he has some talent.

Staubach12
12-25-2008, 02:27 PM
CutlerChris: Personal Attack Buster

And yes, Ore is a nice mid-round prospect.

'cuse-213
12-25-2008, 10:25 PM
Hey buddy. How in the world is Stanford a small school? They are Division 1 and play in the Pac 10 idiot. They have 14,000 students so explain to me how is it a small school?

Here is a list of draftable small school running backs.

RB - Herb Donaldson - Western Illinois
RB - Obozua Ehikioya - Marist
RB - Mike Hamilton - Georgia Southern
RB - Rashad Jennings - Liberty
RB - Nate Kmic - Mount Union
RB - Corey Lewis - Northern Iowa
RB - Jay Lucas - Southeastern Louisiana
RB - Mike McLeod - Yale
RB - Branden Ore - West Liberty State
RB - JT Rogan - San Diego
RB - Bernard Scott - Abilene Christian
RB - Jordan Scott - Colgate
RB - Jerry Seymour - Glenville State
RB - Javarris Williams - Tennessee State
RB - Josh Vaughan - Richmond

HAHA, because Stanford is known for putting kids into the Draft right? How many first rounders do they crank out each year? They must be up there with Miami seems how theyre such a big school and all.

jessekopplin77
12-25-2008, 10:30 PM
All the Small School Running Backs should consist of DII, DIII, and the smaller colleges or DI colleges that play in the lower ranked all around conferences, and teams that are not that great. So yes, Stanford is considered a small school to me because they do not have elite talent team or players, that is a good point there 'cuse-213

jessekopplin77
12-25-2008, 10:43 PM
I think I might end up starting a poll, and find out who people think is the best small school running back.

'cuse-213
12-25-2008, 10:50 PM
I think I might end up starting a poll, and find out who people think is the best small school running back.

Might not want to include Jennings lol.

jnew76
12-25-2008, 10:59 PM
For my money I think Bernard Scott is as good or better than any back in this draft not named Beanie.

jessekopplin77
12-25-2008, 11:03 PM
For my money I think Bernard Scott is as good or better than any back in this draft not named Beanie.

I've watched a couple videos on Bernard Scott. I think he will kind of be like last year's Danny Woodhead. Not get drafted, but get signed to a team to get looked at being a Return man.

Hokie's#1
12-26-2008, 10:40 PM
HAHA, because Stanford is known for putting kids into the Draft right? How many first rounders do they crank out each year? They must be up there with Miami seems how theyre such a big school and all.

Buddy let me educate you because you need some educating. They play in the Pac 10. Just because they don't put out a lot of 1st rounders doesn't make them a small school. The University of Washington plays in the Pac 10 and sucks dick at football but are they a small school? I don't think so when they currently have 42,000 students. Stanford actually has a rich history in football. John Elway, Jim Plunkett, James Lofton, and Ernie Nevers to name a few.

'cuse-213
12-26-2008, 11:10 PM
Buddy let me educate you because you need some educating. They play in the Pac 10. Just because they don't put out a lot of 1st rounders doesn't make them a small school. The University of Washington plays in the Pac 10 and sucks dick at football but are they a small school? I don't think so when they currently have 42,000 students. Stanford actually has a rich history in football. John Elway, Jim Plunkett, James Lofton, and Ernie Nevers to name a few.

I JUST GOT OWNDED.

Are those even real players u listed? Joe Elways?

JLaw45
12-27-2008, 05:42 AM

Lots of students doesn't equate to a big school football wise. It is the level of competition and size of the program that is important.
For example, Northeastern University in Boston has about 22,000 students. Would you consider Northeastern a big football school or a small one?
On the otherhand, Wake Forest is considered to be a pretty big football school despite a much smaller student population.
Texas State University has nearly 30,000 students. We still consider it a small school when we're talking about football, but the University of Miami with half as many students is a big time football school.

I personally do not consider Stanford to be a small school either. I believe that the level of competition faced is crucial to a school's status. Stanford competes at a very high level of competition and it deals with big time Division One revenues/expenses. It is a BCS school. It isn't an elite BCS school, but it still is one nonetheless. You can't call them "small" football wise, IMO. They might not play well, but that program isn't small.
I just wanted to correct the "small school" misconception.

Hokie's#1
12-27-2008, 06:11 AM
Lots of students doesn't equate to a big school football wise. It is the level of competition and size of the program that is important.
For example, Northeastern University in Boston has about 22,000 students. Would you consider Northeastern a big football school or a small one?
On the other hand, Wake Forest is considered to be a pretty big football school despite a much smaller student population.
Texas State University has nearly 30,000 students. We still consider it a small school when we're talking about football, but the University of Miami with half as many students is a big time football school.

I personally do not consider Stanford to be a small school either. I believe that the level of competition faced is crucial to a school's status. Stanford competes at a very high level of competition and it deals with big time Division One revenues/expenses. It is a BCS school. It isn't an elite BCS school, but it still is one nonetheless. You can't call them "small" football wise, IMO. They might not play well, but that program isn't small.
I just wanted to correct the "small school" misconception.

You have a very good point about the student population but when a school plays in the Pac 10 how are they a small school? Just because they don't put out first rounders like Miami does doesn't make them small. When talking about small schools were talking about anybody that plays in the FBS, DII, and DIII level of football. I could understand if he said a lower level Division I team like for example Arkansas State who plays in the Sun Belt but not Stanford who plays in the Pac 10.

Wildcatsj25
01-03-2009, 01:08 AM
I agree that bernard scott will be very good, i dont see him as much of a return guy he never did it in college but the guy can run and catch out of the backfield he has great vision and i think he will be a solid rookie next year.