PDA

View Full Version : Rey Maualuga report

WarOnTheShore
12-24-2008, 03:07 PM
Not good timed speed? Scott, I gotta question your credibility on this one as he's generally timed in the 4.55 range and his only timed runs have been on the USC campus. So, I'm not really sure where you're getting something like that, unless you're making it up. I'm sure you'll say you've been told that by someone else to cover your own butt, but it's just not true. So what's the point of presenting something as a truth when it's blatantly false?

And what exactly has he done the last two years to make him "immature?" He's the captain of the USC defense, not something that's given to half-wit buffoons.

Other than those two things, though, good report. Better than the Curry one.

Habibi
12-24-2008, 03:10 PM
Not good timed speed? Scott, I gotta question your credibility on this one as he's generally timed in the 4.55 range and his only timed runs have been on the USC campus. So, I'm not really sure where you're getting something like that, unless you're making it up. I'm sure you'll say you've been told that by someone else to cover your own butt, but it's just not true. So what's the point of presenting something as a truth when it's blatantly false?

And what exactly has he done the last two years to make him "immature?" He's the captain of the USC defense, not something that's given to half-wit buffoons.

Other than those two things, though, good report. Better than the Curry one.

Exactly his point.

illmatic74
12-24-2008, 03:11 PM

Other than those two things, though, good report. Better than the Curry one.Because he breaks people's jaws.

jessekopplin77
12-24-2008, 03:15 PM
If you have a problem with Scott Wright, maybe you should become a member of some other draft site. Not trying to be rude, but your post was kind of disrespectable.

Scott Wright
12-24-2008, 03:19 PM
Can't say I appreciate you questioning my credibility or implying that I would make something up. That's pretty rude in my opinion...

As for Maualuga, there has been no indication that he is going to surprise anyone with his forty speed. He was a 4.7 guy coming out of high school and the consensus is that's what he will run in workouts. USC sources may say he ran a 4.55 but they have a fast track and are notorious for inflating their prospects time. I stand by my evaluation about his speed 100% and I'll be SHOCKED if he breaks a 4.6 at any point during the pre-draft process In terms of his maturity, he has gotten in trouble for fighting at parties on more than one occasion, he has fallen asleep in meetings, etc. I'm not saying he's a bad guy or that he hasn't made strides the past couple of years, he is just a little immature. Lots of people in their early 20's are.

Aloysius
12-24-2008, 03:25 PM
If I can piggyback on this thread, I also have a question about the Maualuga scouting report.

Scott, you say that Maualuga has "Average change of direction skills". Don't disagree with you, but that seems to imply that he's better in this regard than Aaron Curry, described by you as having "Marginal change of direction skills".

Do you think Rey's change of direction skills are better than Curry's? Though Curry may be a little stiff-hipped, I don't see him being worse than Maualuga.

WarOnTheShore
12-24-2008, 03:32 PM
Exactly his point.

Which can't be true! You can't say someone runs slow when the only times that are out have him in the 4.55 range.

Maybe you should rephrase that part Scott to something like "Reportedly ran a 4.59 during USC spring practice, but will likely run slower in workouts." It's more factually correct. And what I'm looking at says he was a 4.5 guy coming out of high school, not that it matters considering that's four years and 15-20 pounds ago.

jessekopplin77
12-24-2008, 03:32 PM
Go Scott! You Are The Man

sbh15
12-24-2008, 03:36 PM
Which can't be true! You can't say someone runs slow when the only times that are out have him in the 4.55 range.

Maybe you should rephrase that part Scott to something like "Reportedly ran a 4.59 during USC spring practice, but will likely run slower in workouts." It's more factually correct. And what I'm looking at says he was a 4.5 guy coming out of high school, not that it matters considering that's four years and 15-20 pounds ago.

First of all, show us proof of said times, second of all, he said not good speed, which implies that he will not run well at the combine, and does not say that he was never timed at a 4.55 on the USC campus. What he said was in no way factually incorrect, so please stop.

Scott Wright
12-24-2008, 03:38 PM
If I can piggyback on this thread, I also have a question about the Maualuga scouting report.

Scott, you say that Maualuga has "Average change of direction skills". Don't disagree with you, but that seems to imply that he's better in this regard than Aaron Curry, described by you as having "Marginal change of direction skills".

Do you think Rey's change of direction skills are better than Curry's? Though Curry may be a little stiff-hipped, I don't see him being worse than Maualuga.

Welcome to the boards!

It's really semantics in a situation like that.

It's somewhat close but Curry has better COD than Maualuga.

WarOnTheShore
12-24-2008, 03:41 PM
First of all, show us proof of said times, second of all, he said not good speed, which implies that he will not run well at the combine, and does not say that he was never timed at a 4.55 on the USC campus. What he said was in no way factually incorrect, so please stop.

Stop what exactly? Questioning something?

Here is the Maualuga time from someone who covers USC for a living:

http://www.insidesocal.com/usc/archives/2008/05/the-linebackers.html

For some reason, his scouting report says 4.75.

Scott Wright
12-24-2008, 03:42 PM

Scouts adjust a 4.59 run on a fast track like USC's anyway and that would equate to a 4.7.

BTW, Rivals had Maualuga as a 4.72 guy out of high school.

sbh15
12-24-2008, 03:43 PM
Stop what exactly? Questioning something?

Here is the Maualuga time from someone who covers USC for a living:

http://www.insidesocal.com/usc/archives/2008/05/the-linebackers.html

For some reason, his scouting report says 4.75.

That's a 4.6 on with USC's timing. The scouting report is a general estimate until the combine, and a good rule of thumb with USC times is to add about a tenth of a second, putting Maualuga at a 4.7. I'm saying stop questioning things without thinking a little bit about them first.

CashmoneyDrew
12-24-2008, 03:44 PM
Scott Wright is so damn classy it's sexy.

WarOnTheShore
12-24-2008, 03:45 PM
Scouts adjust a 4.59 run on a fast track like USC's anyway and that would equate to a 4.7.

BTW, Rivals had Maualuga as a 4.72 guy out of high school.

And Scout has him at 4.52. I'm kind of curious to see who exactly has proof of USC having a fast track too. Can anyone even say what kind of times guys had outside of this year's players? Go find that one and prove it, otherwise the fast track stuff is conjecture to me.

WarOnTheShore
12-24-2008, 03:46 PM
By the way, I like how this reputation thing went down 200 points in 10 minutes because I have the gall to question THE Scott Wright.

CashmoneyDrew
And Scout has him at 4.52. I'm kind of curious to see who exactly has proof of USC having a fast track too. Can anyone even say what kind of times guys had outside of this year's players? Go find that one and prove it, otherwise the fast track stuff is conjecture to me.

Scout sucks anyways.

sbh15

Just about every year guys who run fast at the USC track run quite a bit slower at the NFL combine. Find previous USC times and compare them to combine times.

Ward
12-24-2008, 03:47 PM
Oh hey look, an anonymous poster questioning Scott Wright (who puts his real name on the line) and his credibility. What is your glass house like WarOnTheShore?

Scott, ignore the hater. Keep the reports coming, it's just making us all want more!

urinemonkey
12-24-2008, 03:47 PM
I'm curious myself as to what makes a "fast track" exactly that.

Scott Wright
12-24-2008, 03:48 PM
By the way, I like how this reputation thing went down 200 points in 10 minutes because I have the gall to question THE Scott Wright.

I don't think people are negative repping you for questioning me, it's the disrespectful way you are going about it.

People who have been around these boards know I encourage discussion and constructive criticism.

sbh15
12-24-2008, 03:48 PM
I'm curious myself as to what makes a "fast track" exactly that.

I don't know if it's the track, it could just be hand timed or something or possibly skewed to get their players extra attention from scouts.

WarOnTheShore
12-24-2008, 03:49 PM
I'm not hating! What is so wrong with actually questioning someone instead of just being a blind sheep going "wow, everything here is done perfectly right and no one else knows better."

And what do you mean anonymous? What, should I post my social security number with my posts?

sbh15
12-24-2008, 03:49 PM
I'm not hating! What is so wrong with actually questioning someone instead of just being a blind sheep going "wow, everything here is done perfectly right and no one else knows better."

And what do you mean anonymous? What, should I post my social security number with my posts?

I'm not stopping you...

Scott Wright
12-24-2008, 03:51 PM
As for proof that USC has a fast track:

* Last year Sedrick Ellis shaved three tenths of a second off of his Combine time.

* Thomas Williams went from a 4.86 in Indy to a mid-4.6 at the Pro Day.

I could go on but it's a well established fast that Southern Cal has a fast track.

Ward
12-24-2008, 03:51 PM

What you may or may not realize is that Scott provides the forum free, scouting reports free, and yet still somehow makes a living off this site. Is it too much to ask that you refrain from saying "Scott, I gotta question your credibility on this one as he's generally timed in the 4.55 range and his only timed runs have been on the USC campus. So, I'm not really sure where you're getting something like that, unless you're making it up."

If you really think that Scott made that up, why would you go to such a terrible site's forum and comment? If Scott's an amateur, why not put down cash for a pay-site's scouting service?

You deserve getting neg repped by anyone and everyone reading this thread.

D-Unit
12-24-2008, 03:53 PM
I'm hoping he runs a 4.8 so he could fall all the way down into the late second round where the Cowboys can pick his gnarly ass up.

Ward
12-24-2008, 03:54 PM
I'm hoping he runs a 4.8 so he could fall all the way down into the late second round where the Cowboys can pick his gnarly ass up.

That would be the greatest miracle of all this Christmas!

WarOnTheShore
12-24-2008, 03:56 PM
What you may or may not realize is that Scott provides the forum free, scouting reports free, and yet still somehow makes a living off this site. Is it too much to ask that you refrain from saying "Scott, I gotta question your credibility on this one as he's generally timed in the 4.55 range and his only timed runs have been on the USC campus. So, I'm not really sure where you're getting something like that, unless you're making it up."

If you really think that Scott made that up, why would you go to such a terrible site's forum and comment? If Scott's an amateur, why not put down cash for a pay-site's scouting service?

WHAT? THIS IS FREE? NO WAY! Cripes. I said the report was pretty good outside of the speed thing. I know you're just trying to egg me on so you have a reason to ban me, but that's no fun. After all, this is only the second report out. ;)

CashmoneyDrew
12-24-2008, 03:59 PM

Wish I could but I've given out too much in the past 24 hours.

Staubach12
12-24-2008, 04:50 PM

No one knows who the hell you are. You're not a recognizable name.

TheDirtyWord
12-24-2008, 10:36 PM
I think the original post could have been phrased differently if you truly wanted to challenge some of the assertions in the Maualuga scouting report.

As a fan of Rey Maualuga, I couldn't help but think that you may be completely missing the boat on this guy.

My understanding is that he times in the mid 4.5's but you have him listed in the 4.75 range. Why is that? Is that official? If you could clarify that, that would be much appreciated.

Another thing that I'm not on board with was your assertion of a lack of maturity. While I know he had some issues early in his career at USC, it seems like he's over those and is now the one of the captains of the defense and the team. That's a pretty significant honor, don't you think. Would you mind sharing some insight you have on that statement as well?

Merry Christmas!

I think if you had phrased it more diplomatically, you would have gotten a better response...from both Scott and the board.

Aloysius
12-24-2008, 10:41 PM
Welcome to the boards!

It's really semantics in a situation like that.

It's somewhat close but Curry has better COD than Maualuga.
Thanks for the response & the welcome. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I definitely agree with you about Curry's COD skills being better than Maualuga's.

However, I'm actually a little more concerned about Curry when it comes to tight hips. When Maualuga can't change directions, it's usually because of his aggressive playing style: he's run full speed in one direction, and he can't adjust when the play heads to the opposite side of the field.

With Curry, I've seen him get juked a few times by a RB or an athletic QB cutting back right in front of him. Could be just a coincidence that it's happened more than once, but it could also be a hint at a larger problem, one that's not fixable by good coaching.

Hopefully, the Senior Bowl practices and the Combine will help alleviate some of my concerns about Curry.

adschofield
12-24-2008, 10:42 PM
If you have a problem with Scott Wright, maybe you should become a member of some other draft site. Not trying to be rude, but your post was kind of disrespectable.

I find your spelling disrespectable to the English language!

adschofield
12-24-2008, 10:44 PM
Scott be slapping the bitches and hoes in this thread

bearsfan_51
12-24-2008, 10:56 PM
No one knows who the hell you are. You're not a recognizable name.

I know who he is.

The Legend
12-24-2008, 11:20 PM

Dude if I went to USC they would tell you I run a 4.2.
USC Makes a lot of bull 40 times up not to mention they are not running on the same type of field they will be running on at the combine.

Also show some respect you dont come into someone else's house and disrespect them. You need to grow up and learn some manners

Staubach12
12-24-2008, 11:43 PM
I know who he is.

Damn... stumped again.

umphrey
12-25-2008, 02:25 AM
I don't think people are negative repping you for questioning me, it's the disrespectful way you are going about it.

That sums up my reasoning. Plus you continue to carry on a pointless debate which is just arguing semantics anyway. You can find all kinds of times for him on the internets in the end you're just wasting time arguing how someone said it when your opinions aren't that far apart. I don't think anyway, unless you are trying to paint Rey as a workout warrior type.

OzTitan
12-25-2008, 06:24 AM
The guy comes here basically accusing Scott of making something up, and wonders why he gets neg rep?

Really?

Texas Homer
12-25-2008, 11:31 AM
Scott is right on this one.

I like Maualuga as a LB prospect, but the question marks are legit. I want to see how he does at the combine. Regardless, I think he is a top 20 pick.

Malaka
12-25-2008, 11:49 AM
I like Maualuga, I think he will be better in a 3-4 with his aggressiveness, that is where he will prosper, I do not really like him him as 4-3 MLB. I think he would be perfect for a team like the Dolphins, alongside Channing Crowder, he will make that already very good defense better.

AtariBigby
12-25-2008, 07:50 PM
Anyone have the #'s of former Trojan Troy Polamalu's times in Indy and his pro day?

By the way, Maulaluga reminds me of a combinination of Ray Lewis & Troy Polamalu, and NEITHER of those Hall of Famers went in the top ten of their draft.

domingo
12-25-2008, 09:32 PM
Anyone have the #'s of former Trojan Troy Polamalu's times in Indy and his pro day?

By the way, Maulaluga reminds me of a combinination of Ray Lewis & Troy Polamalu, and NEITHER of those Hall of Famers went in the top ten of their draft.

I would not mind seeing him matched up with P-Willie in the 49ers 3-4.

PACKmanN
12-25-2008, 09:42 PM

Schools have been lying about their players all the time. You always see guys listed 2 inches taller and 10-20 pounds bigger or smaller. USC has always lied about their 40 times....

Mr. Stiller
12-25-2008, 11:03 PM
As for proof that USC has a fast track:

* Last year Sedrick Ellis shaved three tenths of a second off of his Combine time.

* Thomas Williams went from a 4.86 in Indy to a mid-4.6 at the Pro Day.

I could go on but it's a well established fast that Southern Cal has a fast track.

Sam Baker... 5.09 Combine time... ran 5.47 and 5.37 at his Pro-Day...

Terrell Thomas ran mid 4.4's at the combine.. but ran mid 4.5's at the pro-day..

Aloysius
12-26-2008, 06:47 AM
Polamalu didn't work out (http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2003/04/17/2/) at the Combine:
Polamalu missed the Orange Bowl, the Senior Bowl and the Combine with a hamstring injury, and thus lost some ground to Doss. Polamalu was healthy for his private workout and dazzled teams with a 431/2-inch vertical leap, a 4.3 40-yard dash and 25 reps on the bench.

AtariBigby
12-26-2008, 07:55 AM
Thanks Aloysius, and MrStiller.
I guess their (USC) home track isn't always faster than the combine, per the Sam Baker & Terrell Thomas times. I always thought most teams home tracks are faster. They want their guys to look good.

Polamalu, in my Packers-blooded opinion, is the best player on defense in the NFL, pound-for-pound. Against the run, against the pass, that guy is always making plays all over the field. And unlike Bob Sanders, he's not always sidleined with an injury.

bearsfan_51
12-26-2008, 08:59 AM

Polamalu is far from a lock for the HOF.

AtariBigby
12-26-2008, 10:53 AM
Polamalu is far from a lock for the HOF.
If he doesn't get injured, he'll make it into Canton.
Already a 4-time Pro Bowler, Super Bowl ring, huge plays at huge moments.....and probably more Super Bowl's in his future.

Sidenote: Here was an interesting article about him and the safeties, in that 2003 draft. http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2003/04/17/2/
It's funny because it says the Saints didn't need him anymore because of Tebucky Jones. LOL

the Saints took care of their safety issues by trading for Tebucky Jones

Cigaro
12-26-2008, 11:53 AM
lol, I wonder what time Dwayne Jarrett would have put up if he had ran at the combine. He was already molasses slow at USC, running a 4.62 and 4.67 on their turf.

Scott Wright
12-26-2008, 12:07 PM
Sam Baker... 5.09 Combine time... ran 5.47 and 5.37 at his Pro-Day...

I am pretty sure Baker was dinged up at the Pro Day...

bored of education
12-26-2008, 12:17 PM
If he doesn't get injured, he'll make it into Canton.
Already a 4-time Pro Bowler, Super Bowl ring, huge plays at huge moments.....and probably more Super Bowl's in his future.

Sidenote: Here was an interesting article about him and the safeties, in that 2003 draft. http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2003/04/17/2/
It's funny because it says the Saints didn't need him anymore because of Tebucky Jones. LOL

Well that's a big IF being that he does play banged up alot. but he is a warrior.

Solomon
12-27-2008, 09:57 AM
I am pretty sure Baker was dinged up at the Pro Day...

He was. And I gotta say I agree with you 100%. This is what I wrote eight months ago in another thread.

I'll say it right now, Maualuga won't run anything near that fast. He's got great closing speed and range but his timed speed has never been that good. Coming out of HS he was credited with 4.72 speed and he certainly hasn't become a blazer since then. If he was capable of 4.40 speed he would be one of the fastest LBs in recent memory which is highly unlikely considering that he's one of the biggest LBs in recent memory. While he's a very good prospect and should go in the first round, his timed speed simply isn't that impressive. I see him running around 4.63 (.2 seconds off your prediction) and wouldn't be surprised to see him run in the 4.7 range. We'll just have to wait a year and see I guess.

AtariBigby
12-27-2008, 10:20 AM
Well said.
I don't care about his track speed anyway.

We've seen time and time again, there are guys who have great track speed, and there are guys who have great football speed. I'll take the football speed over the track speed anyday.

Now, if you can combine them both, you have Chris Johnson.

Jerry Rice, Emmitt Smith, Ray Lewis, Greg Jennings recently, did not have fantastic track speed, but they both scored more than their share of long TDs. I'll take long TD's over 4.3 or 4.4 forty times on a track in shorts with no pads and no defenders clutching and grabbing onto them.

Babylon
12-27-2008, 12:50 PM
My concern with Rey REy is whether he can cover anyone in passing situations (which is a majority of the time).I think he begins to look a lot more attractive after pick 20 though. I would personally take Curry, Cushing, JL and Spikes first.

Fogcity_faithful
12-27-2008, 02:18 PM
i agree with everyone else that it is not what was said but the manner in which it was stated. USC more than likely boosts their players stats, all do. And to be honest the difference between 4.55 and 4.7 is pretty small, especially for a player as big as Rey. And babylon brings a huge point up, the USC defense is good enough to hide his inability to cover or to not require him to do that. That will change no matter what team he goes to, everyone has to pass cover.

Zyro_1014
12-27-2008, 02:28 PM
he has his share of INT's lol.

hellrazor
12-30-2008, 01:22 AM
Can't say I appreciate you questioning my credibility or implying that I would make something up. That's pretty rude in my opinion...

As for Maualuga, there has been no indication that he is going to surprise anyone with his forty speed. He was a 4.7 guy coming out of high school and the consensus is that's what he will run in workouts. USC sources may say he ran a 4.55 but they have a fast track and are notorious for inflating their prospects time. I stand by my evaluation about his speed 100% and I'll be SHOCKED if he breaks a 4.6 at any point during the pre-draft process In terms of his maturity, he has gotten in trouble for fighting at parties on more than one occasion, he has fallen asleep in meetings, etc. I'm not saying he's a bad guy or that he hasn't made strides the past couple of years, he is just a little immature. Lots of people in their early 20's are.

sorry to bump this post up but i want to correct the inaccuracy of his 40 time out of hs. he was timed at the army all american combine before his senior year running a sub 4.6 electronically timed 40 which was faster than most of the rbs and wrs timed at that combine so to say he was a 4.7 guy coming out of hs is incorrect.

middlelinebacker54
12-30-2008, 12:27 PM
he has his share of INT's lol.

interceptions are nice and its great that he makes big plays but there are A LOT of players who get a lot of intereceptions yet suck ass in coverage. for example deltha O'Neal and i believe Terry James would always get a lot of interceptions in the NFL yet they would alow a ton of big plays. the key is to do both.

JohnCandy
01-04-2009, 12:00 AM

People who have been around these boards know I encourage discussion and constructive criticism.

After the Rose Bowl I was not as nearly impressed with the Rey. Last year I loved this year I saw him run by about 4 tackles, miss 4 more and make very few impact plays.

What do you think is the NFL potential for him and any chance the Raiders look at him. They could use the upgrade in their defensive attitude.

Staggart
01-04-2009, 12:16 AM
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/allthingstrojan/

saw it on rivals... idk if it is funny or just inappropriate

Scott Wright
01-04-2009, 12:20 AM
That video is a perfect example of the type of maturity questions I was talking about.

Sure it's harmless but you won't see Aaron Curry or James Laurinaitis doing that.

illmatic74
01-04-2009, 12:20 AM
After the Rose Bowl I was not as nearly impressed with the Rey. Last year I loved this year I saw him run by about 4 tackles, miss 4 more and make very few impact plays.

What do you think is the NFL potential for him and any chance the Raiders look at him. They could use the upgrade in their defensive attitude.Not all miss tackles are the same. Some of Maulauga's missed tackles were situation were he was forcing the runner to cutback into his help.

Bruce Banner
01-04-2009, 12:25 AM
That video is a perfect example of the type of maturity questions I was talking about.

Sure it's harmless but you won't see Aaron Curry or James Laurinaitis doing that.

++

but sure, that one is harmless. But what happens when he cops a feel next time and someone catches it on camera? hell an accusation is good enough to **** you over these days.......just sayin'......

I wouldn't put it past him.

Cigaro
01-04-2009, 12:25 AM

lol, I thought it was funny as hell.

giantsfan
01-04-2009, 12:26 AM

ha, that actually makes me not dislike the guy. He's a freaking college kid, maturity is not our forte. Curry might not be doing that at games but get that guy in a frat party and I doubt he'd act much differently. Rey Rey is one of those guys who just seems to be having fun out there which is both refreshing and worrisome since we don't know how he'll react in a crappy situation where going out every sunday and getting your ass handed to you stops being fun.

vatech=accdomination
01-04-2009, 12:29 AM
USC is notorious for inflating times, Mike Williams comes to mind. 4.68 seems about right.

Scott Wright
01-04-2009, 12:36 AM
It was funny and a lot of kids his age are immature. At the same time that will be a concern for NFL teams. He's going to be a multi-millionaire and if he does something like that to the wrong girl at a club there are going to be fights, lawsuits, etc.

Monomach
01-04-2009, 12:37 AM
If Maclin went to USC, they'd list his 40 at 3.94.

Bruce Banner
01-04-2009, 12:45 AM
If Maclin went to USC, they'd list his 40 at 3.94.

DHB- 0.00

vatech=accdomination
01-04-2009, 12:59 AM
Rey Mauluga 4.55, oh wait.

AtariBigby
01-04-2009, 01:16 AM
At least he chose Erin Andrews, one of the hottest sideline reporters in the game.
Let's give him that.

Anyway, Leinart may not have done stuff like that on the sidelines of a game, but still his off-field actions got him in plenty of conflicts.... I find nothing wrong about this and this guy's passion is part of what I think will make him special in the NFL. Time will tell.

Scott Wright
01-04-2009, 01:20 AM
At least he chose Erin Andrews, one of the hottest sideline reporters in the game.
Let's give him that.

Amen brother.

Babylon
01-04-2009, 01:24 AM
Let's give him that.

Anyway, Leinart may not have done stuff like that on the sidelines of a game, but still his off-field actions got him in plenty of conflicts.... I find nothing wrong about this and this guy's passion is part of what I think will make him special in the NFL. Time will tell.

Herbie was probably jealous.

giantsfan
01-04-2009, 01:36 AM
My favorite part of that link was probably the first bit of text

"Rey Maualuga, the closest thing college football has to Chuck Norris, decided to celebrate the new year by dancing with ESPN sideline reporter Erin Andrews.

And when you're Rey Maualuga, you don't need to ask for a dance -- you just boogie."

Brooder
01-04-2009, 02:26 AM
I have the 49ers taking Rey Maualuga in my mock draft but wont be suprised if he is picked much earlier.

giantsfan
01-04-2009, 10:36 AM
I have the 49ers taking Rey Maualuga in my mock draft but wont be suprised if he is picked much earlier.

Do you also have the lions grabbing curry and the rams grabbing Spikes? Because Rey Rey is at best the third LB in this draft.

toonsterwu
01-04-2009, 11:01 AM
The first thing I thought about when I saw this was ... remember when some folks said Darnell Bing was a 4.4 guy?

Straight-line speed won't make or break as a player, as he plays fast. But it could hurt his draft status. He needs, at worst, a low 4.8 number. Anything lower than that, and he's in trouble of slipping. If he's in the 4.7 (or lower) range, you can make a case for him as a top 5 player in this draft, potentially.

foozball
01-04-2009, 02:18 PM
whatever happened to warontheshore?

keylime_5
01-04-2009, 02:22 PM
The first thing I thought about when I saw this was ... remember when some folks said Darnell Bing was a 4.4 guy?

Straight-line speed won't make or break as a player, as he plays fast. But it could hurt his draft status. He needs, at worst, a low 4.8 number. Anything lower than that, and he's in trouble of slipping. If he's in the 4.7 (or lower) range, you can make a case for him as a top 5 player in this draft, potentially.

I doubt he'd be a top 5 player in the draft even if he ran a 4.5. Look at his game tape, he is not gonna go that high. 10-20 at the highest, though he could be taken at 8 if the Jags reach.

AtariBigby
01-04-2009, 02:33 PM
I doubt he'd be a top 5 player in the draft even if he ran a 4.5. Look at his game tape, he is not gonna go that high. 10-20 at the highest, though he could be taken at 8 if the Jags reach.

Exactly. His GAME TAPE speed is much more accurate and important to a football player than his timed track speed on Pro Day or the Combine inside an artificial setting with no other players involved.

Babylon
01-04-2009, 02:39 PM
He struggled this year by his standards, had trouble with blockers, was easily juked on numerous plays and seemed unenthused on others. Thing is he can make an occasional big play and adds instant toughness to your defense. To me he should go in the 15-20 range but some teams seem to do their scouting out of Street and Smith magazine so nothing surprises me.

keylime_5
01-04-2009, 02:40 PM
I don't think his timed time will matter that much. Of course he's gonna go lower if he runs below 4.75, but he is not a sideline to sideline 4-3 MLB as much as he is a 3-4 ILB with his range. The thing that will keep hurt him the most though is his instincts and bad angles, overaggresiveness and being out of position to make a tackle all the time. He is physical and strong enough to come off blocks and blow up blockers, but he hasn't been consistently been getting off blocks, though a lot of that has to do with taking improper angles. I think he's more likely to drop farther than he is than rise up and be a top 10 pick.