PDA

View Full Version : Harvin vs. Maclin vs. Heyward-Bey

Titansfan777
12-26-2008, 12:34 PM
I'm a titans fan obviously and I have been wanting a WR for god knows how long. Anyway I still want one and my question is who is the better WR overall? The titans already have Gage as their tall end zone threatening WR, but they lack a Steve Smith style WR who can make the play after the catch. So which receiver is better in the following categories and which one might be available between picks 30-32?

Acceleration-
Elusiveness-
Top End Speed-
Catching Ability-
Catch in Traffic-
Deep Ball-
Separation-
Red Zone Target-
Blocking-
Feel for the Game-

SeanTaylorRIP
12-26-2008, 12:43 PM
I'm a titans fan obviously and I have been wanting a WR for god knows how long. Anyway I still want one and my question is who is the better WR overall? The titans already have Gage as their tall end zone threatening WR, but they lack a Steve Smith style WR who can make the play after the catch. So which receiver is better in the following categories and which one might be available between picks 30-32?

Acceleration- Heyward-Bey: All are quick but DHB blazes off the line where as Harvin kind of floats.
Elusiveness- Percy Harvin: Harvin has the best short area quickness and cuts as well as vision.
Top End Speed- Heyward-Bey: No one can catch DHB when he is going. He's faster than Harvin. DHB could be a competitive collegiate sprinter.
Catching Ability- Maclin: Most natural hands
Catch in Traffic- Maclin: Toughest working the middle
Deep Ball- Heyward-Bey: This is his bread and butter
Separation- Heyward-Bey: No one has a second gear like DHB
Red Zone Target- Heyward-Bey: DHB is the tallest and jumps the highest.
Blocking-Maclin is tougher, DHB has longer arms to extend on the edge.
Feel for the Game-Maclin: Maclin is the most polished of the 3 and understands all phases of route running.

All in all I think the 3 are great prospects. I lean towards DHB as the best although that could be personal bias. DHB no doubt has the most potential and physical tools to be dominant, Maclin is the best of the 3 right now, and Harvin can be an explosive slot receiver. IMO Crabs and DHB are the only wideouts who project as #1's in the NFL, while Maclin projects as an excellent #2, while Harvin projects to play in the slot and even in the backfield. As far as the Titans go I think if DHB or Maclin falls to them they take them no hesitation. I love Harvin but with Chris Johnson in place and what he can do also splitting out, Harvin seems to be a wasted pick and they are better off using the pick on the defensive side of the ball or O-line.

Rjspartan
12-26-2008, 12:44 PM
if you are talking talent it would be harvin but he is way too injury prone for me so if i was the titans GM i might take Maclin.

JFLO
12-26-2008, 01:00 PM
The best receiver out of the three is Jeremy Maclin. Harvin really isn't a solidified receiver not to mention his lingering injury issues. Personally, I think Heyward-Bey is too raw of a prospect and just comes from a school that is known for their training and physical nature.

Maclin has all the tools you look for in a game changing receiver and plays in an actual offense that utilizes his talents and actually improve them.

Halsey
12-26-2008, 01:22 PM
A Titans fan should be looking for WR's that can help Vince Young, assuming the Titans still believe Young is the QB of the future. I would say the bigger the better. Young may never be a precision passer who can consistently hit guys in stride.

YAYareaRB
12-26-2008, 02:18 PM
Acceleration- Harvin. Is this even an argument?
Elusiveness- Harvin. See Acceleration
Top End Speed- Harvin. See above.
Catching Ability- Maclin. The best WR in the draft not named Crabtree.
Catch in Traffic- Maclin. fearless receiver.
Deep Ball- Heyward Bey. You get the ball to him deep and he'll do something for ya.
Separation- Maclin. You give him a little space to move and you'll be eating dust.
Red Zone Target- Heyward Bey. He's pretty big and likes to go up for the ball.
Blocking- Heyward Bey. I've heard of Bey's blocking, never really pay attention to it though.
Feel for the Game- Harvin. I think the way Harvin can read defenders moves and cutback lanes gives him the nod in this category.

SuperKevin
12-26-2008, 02:19 PM
Might want to add Brandon LaFell to this argument soon

CashmoneyDrew
12-26-2008, 02:23 PM

I was just about to say that. Kenny Britt and Hakeem Nicks should be considered as well.

diabsoule
12-26-2008, 03:23 PM

I really like LaFell but I think D-Byrd is the best of those two.

SuperKevin
12-26-2008, 04:09 PM
I really like LaFell but I think D-Byrd is the best of those two.

NFL Scouts seem to prefer LaFell who got a 1st/2nd round grade

toonsterwu
12-26-2008, 04:16 PM
I like LaFell better as well. I don't really see Byrd as anything more than a complementary 2/3 type receiver, in a positive scenario, whereas, I think LaFell reminds me a bit of Dwayne Bowe and I can see that top potential. If he came out this year, I think LaFell has a solid shot of going in the first ... and perhaps a decent chance at challenging for the top WR spot (yes, I do ... not saying he will, but I think there's a decent shot). I haven't followed things as much this year, so to cut it short, he got game.

jnew76
12-26-2008, 05:16 PM
I like LaFell better as well. I don't really see Byrd as anything more than a complementary 2/3 type receiver, in a positive scenario, whereas, I think LaFell reminds me a bit of Dwayne Bowe and I can see that top potential. If he came out this year, I think LaFell has a solid shot of going in the first ... and perhaps a decent chance at challenging for the top WR spot (yes, I do ... not saying he will, but I think there's a decent shot). I haven't followed things as much this year, so to cut it short, he got game.

You know the draft is right around the corner when Toonster makes an appearance.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-26-2008, 05:35 PM
I haven't followed things as much this year, so to cut it short, he got game.

I don't know, Lafell always seemed a little bit too soft for his size and ability. He's really quick and has length, but he seems to be far deficient to Bowe with the ball in his hands, in blocking, and in fighting for the ball mid-air. No doubt he has ability, but I think his game is a bit lacking.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-26-2008, 05:53 PM
No one can tell me Harvin has better top end speed than DHB. Aside from DHB running a way faster 100 time in college, just watching tape when DHB gets off the line you can see him blow past defenders.

scottyboy
12-26-2008, 06:04 PM
I can haz Kenny Britt plz?

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
12-26-2008, 06:32 PM
DHB=Randy Moss 2.0?

SuperKevin
12-26-2008, 06:44 PM
DHB=Randy Moss 2.0?

Has the potential to be the next Randy Moss with his size and speed.

Titansfan777
12-26-2008, 07:14 PM
Well the titans pretty much need a receiver that fits the following:

-Hands of Glue Essentially
-Speedy
-Catch in Traffic
-Get Yards After the Catch

Basically Crabtree but he wont be there when we pick at 30-32. IS MAclin the closest to this?

Paranoidmoonduck
12-27-2008, 03:18 AM
DHB=Randy Moss 2.0?

Heyward-Bey could be a great receiver in the NFL, but Moss is probably being too generous. At a smaller school (although with a better quarterback) Moss was more productive by leaps and bounds and excelled in just about every aspect of the game while Heyward-Bey is still pretty deficient in some aspects.

Shane P. Hallam
12-27-2008, 03:43 AM
Well the titans pretty much need a receiver that fits the following:

-Hands of Glue Essentially
-Speedy
-Catch in Traffic
-Get Yards After the Catch

Basically Crabtree but he wont be there when we pick at 30-32. IS MAclin the closest to this?

Maclin would definitely be next IMO. He is fast with good hands, and he can make more of those catches in traffic IMO.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-27-2008, 08:32 AM
Although you'd think the Titans are looking for a deep vertical threat to stretch the field since all of their receivers are 6-3'+ who only work the middle 10-15 yards but have no speed. IMO DHB brings them a new dimension since they have 2 TE's in Sciafe and Crumpler who work the middle, a bunch of wideouts who work the intermediate pass game and Chris Johnson who works the flats and can line outside for the WR screen. Right now this is a run base conservative offense missing the home run threat, DHB is that vertical threat although Maclin provides more playmaking in terms of slants and screens, although we haven't even see DBH run a bunch of slants in college.

CashmoneyDrew
12-27-2008, 11:28 AM
Although you'd think the Titans are looking for a deep vertical threat to stretch the field since all of their receivers are 6-3'+ who only work the middle 10-15 yards but have no speed. IMO DHB brings them a new dimension since they have 2 TE's in Sciafe and Crumpler who work the middle, a bunch of wideouts who work the intermediate pass game and Chris Johnson who works the flats and can line outside for the WR screen. Right now this is a run base conservative offense missing the home run threat, DHB is that vertical threat although Maclin provides more playmaking in terms of slants and screens, although we haven't even see DBH run a bunch of slants in college.

I just don't see DHB being available at the Titans pick come draft day. They'd probably have to trade up in the first a little to get him and the Titans front office has never been one to trade up in the higher rounds.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-27-2008, 11:46 AM
I just don't see DHB being available at the Titans pick come draft day. They'd probably have to trade up in the first a little to get him and the Titans front office has never been one to trade up in the higher rounds.

Well DHB could drop because of lack of college production. Although I'd bet my house he runs in the 4.3's and if he has really been working I know he is capable of a high 4.2, so that will certainly drive his stock up, enough that maybe even a team like the Raiders falls in love with him and trades into the range of 12-15 to knab him. Anyone who see's him he's 6-2' at the shortest and will run under 4.4 guaranteed so that will garner interest from teams no doubt. DHB hasn't shown an ability to work the intermediate pass plays but he hasn't been asked too. What we do know is he's arguably the fastest wideout in the draft with ridiculous leg turnover for his height ala Usain Bolt, and he always grabs balls at it's highest point with his hands. He's not a body catcher at all.

Titansfan777
12-27-2008, 10:29 PM
I have been trying to fin scouting videos of the three of them...anyone have any?

OzTitan
12-27-2008, 11:03 PM
I'd be surprised if the Titans take a WR in the 1st based on this class. The Titans value good blocking from their WR's and physical play. It's why Justin McCareins is still on the field more than Brandon Jones. And from what I can tell, there isn't a 1st round WR who will realistically be available/be viable at the Titans pick that fits this.

It's true the Titans need speed and deep threat ability at WR, but it isn't their style to burn a 1st on that IMO. If they spent a 1st on a WR, I'm sure they'd hope he was going to be #1/#2 on the DC and that just won't happen without all round ability.

Then again, a suitable WR could fly up the charts and it's not unlike the Titans to pick a 2nd round projected player in the 1st if they feel he won't be there by their 2nd pick. With that said, I think it's more realistic that if the Titans choose a WR in the 1st, he's probably not even on the radar right now so look outside the box for prospects IMO.

mqtirishfan
12-27-2008, 11:12 PM
Heyward-Bey could be a great receiver in the NFL, but Moss is probably being too generous. At a smaller school (although with a better quarterback) Moss was more productive by leaps and bounds and excelled in just about every aspect of the game while Heyward-Bey is still pretty deficient in some aspects.

So with worse competition and a better QB throwing him the ball, Moss was more successful?

thebow305
12-27-2008, 11:15 PM
I'd say Heyward-Bey because he seems like the most complete receiver out of these three. And there's no way I would ever want a Florida receiver, regardless of who they are. Whoever gets Murphy or Harvin on draft day are doomed.

Staubach12
12-27-2008, 11:34 PM
On the LaFell vs Byrd argument:

LaFell does has a great frame, nice long arms, and decent speed. However, as an LSU fan, I've been frequently let down by his play. He's a bit soft. He has some trouble fighting for the jump ball. He drops the ball even when wide open. He gives good effort blocking but at times comes up on the short end.

Byrd has better speed. He is a more fluid athlete, and catches the ball more naturally. He still lacks a bit in the physicality department but I think that can be developed.

As far as the next Randy Moss... Terrence Tolliver.

WMD
12-27-2008, 11:42 PM
DHB won't get past the Ravens! Better hope for Harvin or Maclin to the Tits.

CashmoneyDrew
12-28-2008, 12:07 AM
DHB won't get past the Ravens! Better hope for Harvin or Maclin to the Tits.

To be honest I'd rather have Britt, Nicks, or even LaFell than Harvin or Maclin. That's just my opinion however.

GatorsBullsFan
12-28-2008, 01:02 AM
Harvin is the best out of the 3...Harvin is a smaller and faster Reggie Bush except his main Position is more of a WR than a RB....most of Harvin's plays start off in the backfield than it does out on the sides a lot of option plays and stuff like that

Paranoidmoonduck
12-28-2008, 02:34 AM
So with worse competition and a better QB throwing him the ball, Moss was more successful?

More successful doesn't even begin to sum it up.

DHB - 134 receptions, 2041 yards (15.2 YPC), 13 TD's
Moss - 168 reception, 3467 yards (20.6 YPC), 53 TD's

I don't think you can draw an honest parallel between the two. Moss may be the most talented wide receiver in NFL history. Heyward-Bey isn't. That's all that really needs to be said.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-28-2008, 09:01 AM
Harvin is the best out of the 3...Harvin is a smaller and faster Reggie Bush except his main Position is more of a WR than a RB....most of Harvin's plays start off in the backfield than it does out on the sides a lot of option plays and stuff like that

The Titans have Chris Johnson. Anyways even as the biggest DHB fan in the world I think people are overlooking Maclin and I constantly have Maclin ranked right there with DHB. He's not just another Tedd Ginn. He's closer to Steve Smith than Ted Ginn although I'm not at all saying he'll be as good as Smith.

Halsey
12-28-2008, 11:19 AM
I'm so tired of the annual WR who gets compared to Moss, CB that gets compared to Deion Sanders, S that gets compared to Ed Reed, etc. How many even come close to living up to that hype.

GatorsBullsFan
12-28-2008, 05:51 PM
I'm so tired of the annual WR who gets compared to Moss, CB that gets compared to Deion Sanders, S that gets compared to Ed Reed, etc. How many even come close to living up to that hype.

lol I would hope someone could find someone better to compare Safeties too than Ed Reed...He is so overrated

Sniper
12-28-2008, 05:54 PM
lol I would hope someone could find someone better to compare Safeties too than Ed Reed...He is so overrated

Except when he's not overrated.

Halsey
12-28-2008, 06:02 PM

So overrated that snatched a league leading 8th int vs the Jags today.

SuperKevin
12-28-2008, 06:04 PM
So overrated that snatched a league leading 8th int vs the Jags today.

And A 9th as well

BigJohn98
12-28-2008, 06:53 PM
Harvin's speed, acceleration, and change of direction is hands down the best of the receivers.