PDA

View Full Version : Frantz Joseph, FAU

foozball
12-26-2008, 09:58 PM
he needs to be ranked

6'2 or 6'3 with good size potential at 235lbs. Looks like he could bulk up easily. Lanky frame.

Extremely productive

High motor from what ive seen

Seems like a 4.65-4.70 runner so he's got average-good speed

He's an ILB now, seems like he could make the move to WLB.

bored of education
12-26-2008, 09:59 PM
More likely a 4.85-4.90 guy from what I recall in the other thread. Not the fastest "timed speed". But he is a thumper and I think D Unit loves him.

Only fit is as a 3-4 ILB. I like him alot but it would be intersting to put a number on his speed and then look closer at films to see how that speed is on the field.

foozball
12-26-2008, 10:19 PM
More likely a 4.85-4.90 guy from what I recall in the other thread. Not the fastest "timed speed". But he is a thumper and I think D Unit loves him.

Only fit is as a 3-4 ILB. I like him alot but it would be intersting to put a number on his speed and then look closer at films to see how that speed is on the field.

a certain other draft site, has his times at 4.62 and 4.79

i dont think you can get 270 tackles the past 2 years and run a 4.85-4.9

he seemed pretty explosive during the game...id expect him to run in the 4.7 area

princefielder28
12-26-2008, 10:22 PM
His best fit is going to be in a 3-4 at ILB. He can hit with the best of 'em, but at the next level he is going to need to have better technique or he'll end up as a special teamer at best.

etk
12-26-2008, 10:29 PM
I don't see where the "thumper" label comes from. I see an undersized OLB with a thin upper body that's a good natural tackler but lacks the strength to be a powerful hitter. If he improves his upper body strength he will have prototypical size and build for an OLB with solid athletic ability and coverage skills.

3-4 ILB is definitely not where I'd have him.

Aloysius
12-26-2008, 11:07 PM
I've seen him compared to Desmond Bishop; I think that's a pretty good comparison.

LonghornsLegend
12-26-2008, 11:43 PM
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26901

Larry121283
12-27-2008, 08:40 AM
I don't see where the "thumper" label comes from. I see an undersized OLB with a thin upper body that's a good natural tackler but lacks the strength to be a powerful hitter. If he improves his upper body strength he will have prototypical size and build for an OLB with solid athletic ability and coverage skills.

3-4 ILB is definitely not where I'd have him.

Looks can be deceiving. He can lay a hit.

He does need to bulk up, but that is often an issue with small schools, the S&C isn't exactly top notch. He has the frame to put on a lot more weight. Wouldn't shock me if he gained a good 15 pounds after a year in an NFL S&C program.

Number 10
12-27-2008, 08:51 AM
He is not a thumper.

He needs a lot of work in the weight room and with his agility/balance. People here will get over-excited because he can lay the wood, but that is about 10% of what it takes to be an NFL LB. Poor change of direction skills, poor awareness, low level of college footballl...he has a lot going against him. Could be a good player in the future but nothing more than a Bradie James type.

5-7th round.

LonghornsLegend
12-27-2008, 09:20 AM
He is not a thumper.

He needs a lot of work in the weight room and with his agility/balance. People here will get over-excited because he can lay the wood, but that is about 10% of what it takes to be an NFL LB. Poor change of direction skills, poor awareness, low level of college footballl...he has a lot going against him. Could be a good player in the future but nothing more than a Bradie James type.

5-7th round.

Are you sure were talking about the same guy? That's probably the exact opposite of what I would say about him...He's the 2nd leading tackler in the nation, how often do you get a guy with terrible awareness to accomplish that? Did you see his interception to close the game vs Central Michigan? Not something that happens with terrible awareness, awareness is actually his strong trait and what he lacks in physical traits he makes up for it with excellent awareness.

He does remind me of a Bradie James type player though.

princefielder28
12-27-2008, 10:46 AM
I want to add another note.

When FAU played against Minnesota earlier in the season I don't recall Joseph being one of those guys that stood out from the rest of the defense, and I think he is average against bigger competition, but is one of those players that excels against weaker competition.

I can agree somewhat with the comparison to Desmond Bishop.

Number 10
12-27-2008, 11:16 PM
Are you sure were talking about the same guy? That's probably the exact opposite of what I would say about him...He's the 2nd leading tackler in the nation, how often do you get a guy with terrible awareness to accomplish that? Did you see his interception to close the game vs Central Michigan? Not something that happens with terrible awareness, awareness is actually his strong trait and what he lacks in physical traits he makes up for it with excellent awareness.

He does remind me of a Bradie James type player though.

If his awareness was where it should be, tell me why he spends so much time on the ground. He has tunnel vision and struggles to make dual reads, something that is essential for the position. He is checking on the back while having no idea a lineman is coming down on him and he ends up getting cut blocked often. The tackle numbers are great but two things you have to take in if you haven't watched him and are simply looking at stats. A lot of his tackles are assists and their defense lacks any other legit pro prospects. He is clearly better than anyone he is ont he field with (on his own team), thus tackle numbers are a bit inflated.

I like him, but he shouldn't be given massive credit for high tackle numbers.

Rhapsody
01-02-2009, 10:32 PM
If his awareness was where it should be, tell me why he spends so much time on the ground. He has tunnel vision and struggles to make dual reads, something that is essential for the position. He is checking on the back while having no idea a lineman is coming down on him and he ends up getting cut blocked often. The tackle numbers are great but two things you have to take in if you haven't watched him and are simply looking at stats. A lot of his tackles are assists and their defense lacks any other legit pro prospects. He is clearly better than anyone he is ont he field with (on his own team), thus tackle numbers are a bit inflated.

I like him, but he shouldn't be given massive credit for high tackle numbers.

While he does have problems with cut blocks, he knows how to shed straight up blocks and knows how to make different reads. And, as for his tackles: he leads the nation in solo tackles. Basically, to quote what someone said in another forum:

Outside of that first series, in which he got cut blocked and knocked down a few times, he has looked good. He's gotten off blockers pretty well from what I've seen. That was one of my questions coming into this game and he's done it well. My other question that I had going into this game was if he could step over trash well. I haven't seen him do it too well tonight, I've seen him fall down a few times when trash was at his feet. That category on the report didn't come out great. I saw a few one arm tackles early in the game and I saw him not hustling every play early in the game but he's completely turned that around, being around the ball often and had a drive in which he had a tackle on three or four straight plays. He racks up tackles, that's obvious and clear, as he had 141 coming into this game I believe and has somewhere between 13-15 total tackles tonight. I think he's a smart player, who diagnoses plays very well. He reads QB's eyes well, I knew that from the past game I saw of his and he hasn't changed my mind on that part of his game. He got a bit high and sometimes low in his hips when dropping but that's fixable. He's not a 'wow' player but he's solid and is worth the second day pick in my opinion.

http://forums.thephins.com/showthread.php?t=23725

D-Unit
01-03-2009, 12:21 AM
I want Frantz in Round 5 for the Cowboys. I've been sold on him for a long time now. He ain't packed with all the elite attributes that come with being a first round pick, so there's no sense in trying to claim he can do this and he can do that. What he'll give you can't be measured on paper.