PDA

View Full Version : Hakeem Nicks, WR, UNC

CashmoneyDrew
12-27-2008, 12:34 PM
This guy is going crazy in his bowl game right now. Two TD catches in the first ten minutes of the game so far. He's been an intriguing prospect IMO for a while.
How good is this guy? Can anyone who's watched him a good amount give me a good scouting report? What are the chances he declares? Who's a good pro comparison for him?

regoob2
12-27-2008, 12:36 PM
His TDs have more to do with WVs D than him being great.

CashmoneyDrew
12-27-2008, 12:37 PM
His TDs have more to do with WVs D than him being great.

I realize WVU doesn't have a great defense or anything but he's been a legit prospect for a while.

kwilk103
12-27-2008, 12:39 PM
I realize WVU doesn't have a great defense or anything but he's been a legit prospect for a while.

#35 overall, #9 scoring defense, #1 red zone defense

1st td lankster should have picked it

sbh15
12-27-2008, 12:41 PM
I see a lot of him, I live in Raleigh. I really think he could go as early as the beginning of the second. He's got a good frame and is, as we've seen, an incredible deep threat (he's averaged over 16 ypc his career). I love him as a prospect and might jizz in my pants if the Ravens got him in the late second.

CashmoneyDrew
12-27-2008, 12:43 PM
I feel like he could eventually be one of the three WR's the Titans look long and hard at with their late 1st rounder. Those being Brandon LaFell, Kenny Britt and himself.

Thunder&Lightning
12-27-2008, 12:43 PM
Reminds me of Dwayne Bowe a little, one of my favorite prospects this year.

Go_Eli
12-27-2008, 01:01 PM
Another TD for Nicks.

So far he's shown nice concentration, nice route running and nice speed/size. Great day for him so far.

RaiderNation
12-27-2008, 01:01 PM
Is that 3 tds for him now?

LonghornsLegend
12-27-2008, 01:03 PM
I feel like he could eventually be one of the three WR's the Titans look long and hard at with their late 1st rounder. Those being Brandon LaFell, Kenny Britt and himself.

From the games I've seen he doesn't run as well after the catch as those two, but his hands may be better then both...Lafell has stone wall hands sometimes but his athleticism, and his YAC ability makes him a better prospect in my eyes.

I need to see what he times in the 40, alot of big, tall, slow WR's haven't made the impact alot of people felt they could, but he does run good routes which is a great start.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-27-2008, 01:38 PM
He's been the man at UNC the past few years. Very consistent. Doesn't get great separation but has adequate speed and is very strong after the catch. A late 2nd-early 4th prospect.

Cigaro
12-27-2008, 02:05 PM
Did anyone just see that catch? ************ caught it with his left then switched it to his right behind his back to avoid dropping it/being knocked out by the linebacker.

Cigaro
12-27-2008, 02:06 PM
Here's what I said about him in August;

Hakeem Nicks, WR, North Carolina- Marvin Harrison's storied career in Indianapolis is just about over, and they'll need a replacement. Reggie Wayne would step into his role as top target, and Anthony Gonzalez would become the number two, but the Colts system is at it's best when it has three legitimate receivers. Hakeem Nicks is just that. He isn't hyped up much, but he's a deadly receiver who can slice through defenses. Despite horrible quarterback play, he accounted for nearly 1000 yards last season, and has a realistic shot at breaking that barrier this year.

djp
12-27-2008, 02:06 PM
From what I've seen he really needs to work on some of the finer points of the game.. he'll probably come out because of the draft buzz he's generating because of this game.

2nd rounder IMO

He just made a silly catch with the ball behind him.

Zyro_1014
12-27-2008, 02:09 PM
that catch he just made where he went around the back was one of the SICKEST catches ive seen.

Abaddon
12-27-2008, 02:11 PM
I'm late to this guy's party. I readily admit that. But...damn. The behind the back catch, the leaping grab...

Does he always look like this?

Any scouting report has to use the word "concentration" a time or two. The dude is killing it today.

Cigaro
12-27-2008, 02:12 PM
I'm late to this guy's party. I readily admit that. But...damn. The behind the back catch, the leaping grab...

Does he always look like this?

Any scouting report has to use the word "concentration" a time or two. The dude is killing it today.

This a career game for him, but's he always been a good receiver. Extremely smooth on the field.

coordinator0
12-27-2008, 02:16 PM
I see a lot of him, I live in Raleigh. I really think he could go as early as the beginning of the second. He's got a good frame and is, as we've seen, an incredible deep threat (he's averaged over 16 ypc his career). I love him as a prospect and might jizz in my pants if the Ravens got him in the late second.

I wouldn't mind us getting him late in the first...

LonghornsLegend
12-27-2008, 02:33 PM
Did anyone just see that catch? ************ caught it with his left then switched it to his right behind his back to avoid dropping it/being knocked out by the linebacker.

Sick, sick, sick play, no other way to describe it...He's in the zone today, and will probably get his 4th TD...His hands are very impressive.

critesy
12-27-2008, 02:38 PM
obviously hes not anquan but from this game alone i see a poor mans boldin in him.

wicket
12-27-2008, 02:43 PM
for me he is a mid to late second rounder (about the sixth/seventh wr taken with crabtree harvin maclin dhb and britt definately before him and fighting with lafell for sixth)

etk
12-27-2008, 03:10 PM
The only comparison I have for him is another underclassman prospect in this draft....Michael Crabtree. Nicks is just smaller and less polished overall.

Hicks has good size and build, he's a very smooth athlete and route runner, he has great hands and he's very good after the catch. He's not overly fast but he's proven himself to be a deep threat. If he comes out, he's probably the most versatile and multi-dimensional WR in the draft.

Geo
12-27-2008, 03:21 PM
If he could run a 4.45 thereabouts, that would make him a strong borderline first rounder imo.

But everywhere I've seen has him estimated at 4.55, and that is probably the case from most of what I've seen of him. He's been very productive as a deep threat though, so maybe looks are somewhat deceiving.

Xonraider
12-27-2008, 03:31 PM
2nd round Raiders!!!!!!!!! Someone tell me Al Davis saw this game!!!!!!!!!!!!

ncst8fan83
12-27-2008, 11:36 PM
In all honesty, after seeing them both play in college extensively, I'd say that Nicks is a bit bigger version of Jerricho Cotchery. He won't time well, he'll probably fall to the 3rd, but he'll be invaluable on a championship run.

Cigaro
12-27-2008, 11:59 PM
In all honesty, after seeing them both play in college extensively, I'd say that Nicks is a bit bigger version of Jerricho Cotchery. He won't time well, he'll probably fall to the 3rd, but he'll be invaluable on a championship run.

Won't time well? Nicks is far from slow. Should run in the 4.4s.

sbh15
12-28-2008, 12:02 AM
Won't time well? Nicks is far from slow. Should run in the 4.4s.

Yeah I'd be surprised if he ran slower than a 4.5, and a time like a 4.4 flat could get him into the first.

ncst8fan83
12-28-2008, 12:23 AM
I don't think Nicks will sniff 4.4-anything. Cotchery ran a 4.54 and I think that's where Nicks will time too. 4.52-4.56, somewhere around there. Nicks just reminds me of the way Cotchery played the game. Stature, dominance, understanding of the game, all that stuff.

SenorGato
12-28-2008, 01:24 AM
He reminds me of Jericho Cotchery. In fact, most of this thread's descriptions sound like Jericho Cotchery...similar kind of player to Anquan Boldin but Boldin is an extremely high end version.

Big_Pete
01-01-2009, 11:23 PM
Nicks reminds me more of Hines Ward with his style of play more than anyone else

rockio42
01-02-2009, 01:11 AM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!! this kid, he is the type of reciever that I would want on my team and deffinitly want him to come out (of course if he doesnts then the Rams might get him next year...) but ya i love his route running and his hands, and the way he runs with the ball and has the abilityto break tackles is just amazing...love his game

Scott Wright
01-02-2009, 09:06 AM
Nicks won't run a 4.4

He would be a fringe Day One pick if he comes out.

SeanTaylorRIP
01-02-2009, 09:10 AM
Nicks won't run a 4.4

He would be a fringe Day One pick if he comes out.

I'd think he's leaning towards leaving since he's broken every UNC receiving record, and Brandon Tate is gone too.