PDA

View Full Version : Javon Ringer

MichiganStateFan
12-27-2008, 12:35 PM
Im a huge Michigan State fan and was wondering where he might go in the draft.

CashmoneyDrew
12-27-2008, 12:36 PM
I think after all the underclassmen declare, and the combine and pro days are over he'll be a 3rd rounder. 4th rounder at worst.

RaiderNation
12-27-2008, 12:36 PM
2nd or 3rd round

Rjspartan
12-27-2008, 01:44 PM
i am thinking a 2nd or 3rd round pick

Cigaro
12-27-2008, 01:50 PM
Depends on C.J. Spiller, Shonn Greene, and LeSean McCoy. If they don't come out, he could probably be a second rounder.

Xiomera
12-27-2008, 01:57 PM
Depends on his 40 time at the combine, but I'll predict the 3rd round right now.

Race for the Heisman
12-27-2008, 04:59 PM
A lot to like but he's not outstanding in any area and MSU didn't exactly do his draft stock and favors by running him into the ground this year. I would say late second at the very earliest if someone falls in love with him, more likely mid third with the possibility of being falling to the fifth if he runs poor and more than a few juniors come out.

BamaFalcon59
12-27-2008, 05:02 PM
Second round. I think he could end up like a pro version of DeAngelo Williams if he is not overworked.

steelernation77
12-27-2008, 05:25 PM
Second round. I think he could end up like a pro version of DeAngelo Williams if he is not overworked.

Ringer does not have speed close to Williams.

BamaFalcon59
12-27-2008, 05:26 PM
Ringer does not have speed close to Williams.

Ringer was a lot more explosive when he was in a duel back system.

And Williams is not very fast anyways. Just explosive.

BRAVEHEART
12-27-2008, 05:35 PM

Deangelo was probably faster than ringer in HS.

foozball
12-27-2008, 06:39 PM

deangelo ran a what....4.45? thats pretty fast IMO.

Cigaro
12-27-2008, 06:43 PM

Completely different styles. DeAngelo Williams is a guy with excellent athleticism who likes to use his vision to maximize his agility. Javon Ringer likes to use his vision to hit the hole and just run through people.

BamaFalcon59
12-27-2008, 06:54 PM
Completely different styles. DeAngelo Williams is a guy with excellent athleticism who likes to use his vision to maximize his agility. Javon Ringer likes to use his vision to hit the hole and just run through people.

Again, he was a different style of runner prior to this year. He was always physical, but he cutback often and was very explosive.

This year he was overworked and looked slower because of it. With a lighter workload he will regain his explosiveness.

I'd give Williams a slight speed edge and Ringer a slight physicality edge, but I think they could wind up similar in the pros.

BamaFalcon59
12-27-2008, 06:55 PM
deangelo ran a what....4.45? thats pretty fast IMO.

I agree, but he is not a blazer. That was my point. What makes him explosive is his lateral ability, acceleration, and vision.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-27-2008, 07:10 PM
How about Fred Jackson for a comparison?

Menardo75
12-28-2008, 12:43 AM
I still am not totally sold on him so I am going to hold my judgement till his rookie year.

Larry121283
12-28-2008, 09:28 AM
Late 2nd, Early 3rd. Back that is better suited for the re-emergence of the dual back system.

ThePudge
12-28-2008, 11:50 AM
I'll play it safe and say 4th Round. Unless he runs exceptionally well (sub 4.5), he's in a similar boat as Mike Hart. Hart was more injury-prone and took more carries career wise, not to mention Ringer's a tad bigger, so I like Javon more as a prospect. Still, the size factor, the wear and tear, the running style, they don't work for me as a long-term player. I'd start looking for Ringer in the Early 4th where teams such as Cincinnati, Seattle, even Detroit, may be looking to go RB.

Staubach12
12-28-2008, 01:45 PM
Early third seems most likely to me.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-28-2008, 04:40 PM
As a prospect, he reminds me of J.J. Arrington. Perhaps that isn't the most ringing endorsement, but Ringer doesn't really have the explosion he had early in his college career, and whether that's due to his workload or extra muscle weight or something unknown, I can't help but find it troubling.

I think he could be a good 3rd down back in some offense. But I don't think you take that kind of back on the first day. I wouldn't take him before the 4th, but I could see him going as high as the mid-3rd.

toonsterwu
12-28-2008, 04:44 PM
It's been awhile since I looked at JJ Arrington out of college, but I thought he was a decently explosive guy, so I'm not completely sold on that comparison. My guess right now would be third round, but it comes down to his 40 time. The guy he reminds me a bit of is Ray Rice of last year. Similar size, and their best attribute is really their instincts. Rice may have better shake to him, though.

detroit4life
12-28-2008, 04:58 PM
to be honest tho is that he was a complelty different back last year then he is this year. When he was splitting carries he was a explosive cut back style. But once he started getting 30+ carries this year he turned into a more straight running style because of the incredible amount of carries. If he is on a team where he is splitting carries he will be much more explosive.

Personally im a big fan of him. He has speed and athleticism to be a cut back style back and he also has the size and warrior like attitude where he will deliver the hit rather than take it. He's also a work horse and i think he will be a steal if he falls into the 3-4 round range. Reminds me of a more atlhetic forte and kevin smith type

Paranoidmoonduck
12-28-2008, 05:09 PM
It's been awhile since I looked at JJ Arrington out of college, but I thought he was a decently explosive guy, so I'm not completely sold on that comparison. My guess right now would be third round, but it comes down to his 40 time. The guy he reminds me a bit of is Ray Rice of last year. Similar size, and their best attribute is really their instincts. Rice may have better shake to him, though.

Arrington had good straightforward acceleration, as Ringer does, but both were mostly straight-line runners who slipped through gaps in the line very well in their respective senior years. I wasn't implying that Ringer doesn't have some explosiveness, but I think that a guy like Ray Rice was much more shifty and powerful than Ringer has been this year.