PDA

View Full Version : Graham Gano

BamaFalcon59
12-27-2008, 04:48 PM
Where will he be drafted? He is a beast. Really. One of the best punters I have ever seen, and that is his second position behind kicker, where he is also amazing.

Best all around kicking prospect I have ever seen.

Thoughts?

Actually, I just saw there was a thread on him a month ago. Not many replies, so maybe some more people can comment after his impressive day today.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
12-27-2008, 04:50 PM
He's a beast. Also runs near a 4.6, 40 yard dash so he could be valuable in trick plays.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-27-2008, 04:53 PM
He's a beast. Also runs near a 4.6, 40 yard dash so he could be valuable in trick plays.

Well Adam Podlesh ran a 4.4 forty but I don't think he has had any trick plays in his career. Maryland just produces beasts though when your punter can run a 4.4. Even Maryland's kicker now Obi Egekeze is a built 6-2' 210 pounds and was given scholarships to play soccer and basketball.

etk
12-27-2008, 05:03 PM
Well Adam Podlesh ran a 4.4 forty but I don't think he has had any trick plays in his career. Maryland just produces beasts though when your punter can run a 4.4. Even Maryland's kicker now Obi Egekeze is a built 6-2' 210 pounds and was given scholarships to play soccer and basketball.

Uhh yeah. I think the thread is about an FSU kicker. Not Maryland.

To answer the OP....the reason no one replies to these threads is because he's a kicker....not much to say other than 1-2 stat lines.

BamaFalcon59
12-27-2008, 05:08 PM
Well, originally I did not know there was a prior thread about him. Had I known, I wouldn't have made this thread.

But he is one of the few kicking prospects I would take in the first few rounds. I was not a draft nik when Nugent and Janikowski came out, but they must have been excellent.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
12-27-2008, 05:09 PM

Yea, but that doesn't mean he will never be in a trick play. The 4.4 probably got him drafted higher.

Most kickers/punters are converted soccer players and it really doesn't surprise me that they run 4.4's or 4.5's.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
12-27-2008, 05:10 PM
Well, originally I did not know there was a prior thread about him. Had I known, I wouldn't have made this thread.

But he is one of the few kicking prospects I would take in the first few rounds. I was not a draft nik when Nugent and Janikowski came out, but they must have been excellent.

Janikowski was a BEAST. He had the leg to consistently kick field goals from 60.

AkiliSmith
12-27-2008, 05:42 PM
Gano's first three punts today were downed at the 1, 3 and 3 yard line

SuperKevin
12-27-2008, 06:03 PM
I'd draft Gano in the 3rd round if I were a team like the Giants who will soon need a new punter and kicker

Smokey Joe
12-27-2008, 06:11 PM
My question is, do you let him be both? Is he good enough to be both?

BigJohn98
12-27-2008, 06:24 PM

Adam Podlesh blows ass.

Yatta!
12-27-2008, 07:13 PM
My question is, do you let him be both? Is he good enough to be both?

I don't think anyone is good enough to do both full time in the NFL.

Cigaro
12-27-2008, 07:17 PM
Al Davis has a first round pick...

keylime_5
12-27-2008, 07:20 PM
I heard Paul Maguire said he is a first round pick to him :)
We all know that you gotta take any one of Maguire's crazy ideas with a ****load of salt.

energizerbunny
12-28-2008, 10:51 PM
He will be a late 2nd-early 3rd rounder, had he done this for 3 years he would be drafted higher... right now you have to balance the probability of him being a 1 year wonder...

However he offers an immediate upgrade at the kicker position for whoever drafts him which could be attractive to a team like the giants who are old at both kicker and punter and don't have many glaring positional needs.

Solomon
12-28-2008, 11:59 PM
Yea, but that doesn't mean he will never be in a trick play. The 4.4 probably got him drafted higher.

Most kickers/punters are converted soccer players and it really doesn't surprise me that they run 4.4's or 4.5's.

Really that doesn't surprise you? I don't think people on in general realize just how fast 4.4/4.5 speed is. I agree most kickers and punters are great athletes (in relation to the average person) who were multi sport stars in high school, but in general they tend to run 40s in the 4.8-4.9 second area.

Being able to run a 40 in 4.5 seconds or faster usually means that someone was capable of being one of the top track athletes in their state coming out of HS.

For example Podlesh in HS ran the fastest 200m (21.58) and 400m times (50.5) in the state of New York as well as ran the third leg of the state title-winning 4x100 relay team.

It is very, very rare for anybody, even a varsity soccer player to run that fast.

'cuse-213
12-29-2008, 12:05 AM
I don't think anyone is good enough to do both full time in the NFL.

Why not? You would think a coach would KILL to find someone like that. Someone who can take up 2 positions, making room for another teammate.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
12-29-2008, 12:05 AM
Really that doesn't surprise you? I don't think people on in general realize just how fast 4.4/4.5 speed is. I agree most kickers and punters are great athletes (in relation to the average person) who were multi sport stars in high school, but in general they tend to run 40s in the 4.8-4.9 second area.

Being able to run a 40 in 4.5 seconds or faster usually means that someone was capable of being one of the top track athletes in their state coming out of HS.

For example Podlesh in HS ran the fastest 200m (21.58) and 400m times (50.5) in the state of New York as well as ran the third leg of the state title-winning 4x100 relay team.

It is very, very rare for anybody, even a varsity soccer player to run that fast.

Yea, I know 4.5 is fast, but you'll find that many soccer players can run that, especially ones that convert to football. They're usually the ones that are fast and have a good leg but technique, touch, passing are bad.

SuperKevin
12-29-2008, 12:42 AM
Why not? You would think a coach would KILL to find someone like that. Someone who can take up 2 positions, making room for another teammate.

Yeah and when he gets hurt you have to scramble to fill 2 roster spots

'cuse-213
12-29-2008, 12:56 AM
Yeah and when he gets hurt you have to scramble to fill 2 roster spots

Which can be very easily done, of course with a little downgrade in production. And how often do they get hurt

SuperKevin
12-29-2008, 02:10 AM
Which can be very easily done, of course with a little downgrade in production. And how often do they get hurt

More often when you're requiring them to be on the field more like that. Plus then you deal with leg fatigue late in the year

Big_Pete
12-31-2008, 07:50 AM
More often when you're requiring them to be on the field more like that. Plus then you deal with leg fatigue late in the year

I don't buy leg fatigue being a huge issue, that is what conditioning is for.

He will make what around 20-25 kicks a game

also Gano has handled it well so far and shown no sign of fatigue

Look at other sports such as Rugby Union and Australian Rules where players do extensive kicking all game along with general play as well.

Australian Rules is a particularly good example, it is not uncommon for players to make 30 or so kicks (often around 50 meters); plus continuous general play for 4 x 25min quarters; plus the season is 22 games plus playoffs, plus a lengthy preseason.

Players like Sav Rocca, Ben Graham and Darren Bennett became NFL punters after their Australian Rules football career was done.

Leg fatigue isn't an issue there; there is certainly no reason it should be an issue in the NFL.

wicket
12-31-2008, 08:36 AM
im really suprised they didnt run more trick plays with the punter setting of for punts and still punting when the play is a bust like some college (forgot which) does al the time with the aussie rules guys.

the_legend_killer
12-31-2008, 09:11 AM
Plus, he's a really good flopper (See: The Champ Sports Bowl), this could come in handy.