PDA

View Full Version : Christian Ponder (So., QB, Florida State)

The Big Three
12-27-2008, 05:43 PM
In your opinion, is Christian Ponder a future professional prospect? Today is the first time I've seen him, and his size (6'2", 216 lbs) and mobility will translate well to the NFL. He's thrown for 12 TDs and 13 INTs, so the productivity isn't there yet, but he looks to me to have the basics that you look for in a QB prospect. He'll have 1-2 years to improve in Florida State, as he's only a sophomore.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
12-27-2008, 05:44 PM
against D-1 Teams, Ponder throws 54%, 6 TD's-13 INT's. He's a terrible passer and I don't think he has any pro potential.

Race for the Heisman
12-27-2008, 07:16 PM
If he manages to start for the next two years (therefore beating out Emanuel Johnson, was it?) maybe we can talk. When I first saw him I thought a lot of him, but I've since cooled on him. He's very raw and his running style won't translate especially smoothly.

BuddyCHRIST
12-27-2008, 07:51 PM
It's EJ Manuel, and I don't know why so many people think he's going to be a major factor. I don't think he's going to get much playing time, and probably won't unseat a RS Junior (or two, if DVO stays at QB).

As a prospect, he has alot of work to do throwing the ball. He's got the ability but right now he's just not comfortable as a pocket passer, he doesn't set his feet and his nervous the whole time back there. When he's rolling you can see that has the arm ability but in the pocket he tries too hard to aim the ball, I think with one more year he'll look alot more comfortable. Physically he obviously has alot of talent (though his arm isn't great) as he's fast and very strong, he's also poised when he makes mistakes and is very smart.

Looking at him now is pointless though because he had a very up and down year and its way too soon to even mention him as a prospect imo. I think he'll make great strides next year though.

illmatic74
12-27-2008, 09:03 PM
In your opinion, is Christian Ponder a future professional prospect? Today is the first time I've seen him, and his size (6'2", 216 lbs) and mobility will translate well to the NFL. He's thrown for 12 TDs and 13 INTs, so the productivity isn't there yet, but he looks to me to have the basics that you look for in a QB prospect. He'll have 1-2 years to improve in Florida State, as he's only a sophomore.See Drew Weatherford, Chris Rix

Race for the Heisman
12-27-2008, 11:23 PM
It's EJ Manuel, and I don't know why so many people think he's going to be a major factor. I don't think he's going to get much playing time, and probably won't unseat a RS Junior (or two, if DVO stays at QB).

As a prospect, he has alot of work to do throwing the ball. He's got the ability but right now he's just not comfortable as a pocket passer, he doesn't set his feet and his nervous the whole time back there. When he's rolling you can see that has the arm ability but in the pocket he tries too hard to aim the ball, I think with one more year he'll look alot more comfortable. Physically he obviously has alot of talent (though his arm isn't great) as he's fast and very strong, he's also poised when he makes mistakes and is very smart.

Looking at him now is pointless though because he had a very up and down year and its way too soon to even mention him as a prospect imo. I think he'll make great strides next year though.

I don't think it is so much that people are rating EJ Manuel, its simply the fact that the quarterbacks at FSU have been very up and down and it wouldn't be hard to envision Ponder getting yanked for the touted froshie.

jessekopplin77
12-28-2008, 01:00 AM
I will be bold............Christian Ponder will grow and mature a lot over the next two years with Florida States Offense. If you look at that offense it is very very young. I believe they started 3 freshmen, and like 2 Sophomore on the line. Christian Ponder will only get better while that O-Line improves. Expect Christian Ponder to become a future Mid-Round draft pick!

GatorsBullsFan
12-28-2008, 01:04 AM
LMAO how many Florida State QBs have you ever seen with Huge NFL Potential....can you name one?...the only one I ever knew decided to play Basketball instead of football (Charlie Ward)

Pokeys
12-28-2008, 11:20 AM
He compares well to Reggie Ball.

Staubach12
12-28-2008, 11:35 AM
He compares well to Reggie Ball.

So basically he's God?

PACKmanN
12-28-2008, 11:38 AM
So basically he's God?

you will be met by Jordyzzzz Nelsonzzzzz in an alley and get your *** kicked.

grover33
12-28-2008, 12:53 PM
I just don't see how he could develope even though he has a young team to play with, there hasn't been really any FSU QB's that have panned out in the NFL I just don't think its going to happen.

Staubach12
12-28-2008, 01:28 PM
you will be met by Jordyzzzz Nelsonzzzzz in an alley and get your *** kicked.

Come on now, Jordyzzzzzzz would kick more than my ass. He'd kick my entire body.

jessekopplin77
12-28-2008, 03:21 PM
I just don't see how he could develope even though he has a young team to play with, there hasn't been really any FSU QB's that have panned out in the NFL I just don't think its going to happen.

You can't compare a prospect with latter players that have come out of the school.

sbh15
12-28-2008, 03:57 PM
You can't compare a prospect with latter players that have come out of the school.

Christian Ponder is epic fail though.

djp
12-28-2008, 04:05 PM
No chance he's a pro QB.

Great runner, terrible passer. Half his completions are jump balls.

jessekopplin77
12-29-2008, 03:15 PM
Matters if he is able to improve with the team or not.......who knows?.......way to early to make a prediction now i guess.

grover33
12-29-2008, 03:43 PM

Why cant you? that makes no sense at all seeing as Bobby Bowden has been the coach and ran the same offense.

BuddyCHRIST
12-29-2008, 04:18 PM
Why cant you? that makes no sense at all seeing as Bobby Bowden has been the coach and ran the same offense.

because its not the same offense at all, Jimbo Fisher runs things alot differently than any other FSU OC, and is considered to be a QB guru.

illmatic74
12-29-2008, 04:24 PM
because its not the same offense at all, Jimbo Fisher runs things alot differently than any other FSU OC, and is considered to be a QB guru.The problem is that Christian Ponder is not good.

Larry121283
12-29-2008, 04:30 PM
In your opinion, is Christian Ponder a future professional prospect?

No.

tjsunstein
12-29-2008, 05:31 PM
Not even close to a pro prospect. I think you wanted to make this thread because you got a little excited over the beating of Wisconsin. In no way can anyone in their right mind see Ponder as a pro prospect.