PDA

View Full Version : Which OL Prospects in this draft are best suited for a Zone Blocking Scheme Offense

Texas Homer
12-28-2008, 02:20 AM
I'm a Texans fan. Kubiak likes to use the Zone Blocking Scheme for the Offense.

Alex Gibbs(O-Line coach) prefers lean and athletic O-Lineman for the ZBS for the Texans.I'm not trying to turn this into a "Who do the Texans need to pick" thread, but I was curious if the board experts have an opinion on who are the best pro OL prospects that can play in a Zone Blocking Scheme in this year's class.

That leads me to my next question. Is it necessary to have lean and athletic lineman to successfully run ZBS offense?....or can any good pro line,an adapt and be effective in a Zone Blocking Scheme offense?

the decider13
12-28-2008, 10:52 AM
I'm not sure about which ones in this draft are best for a ZBS, but I can answer the second question. You are best off with lean athletic lineman in a ZBS. For a perfect example, look at Kubiak's (and Gibbs' I'm pretty sure) former team, the Broncos. They always have one of the most athletic lines and lean lines, and always are pretty successful. It's also important to pick someone with good footwork, hence last years pick of Ryan Clady. But like I said, I don't know which of these lineman have the best footwork, as the extent of my knowledge is which ones are supposed to be the can't miss lineman in general, but I doubt all of them would fit in the ZBS.

Halsey
12-28-2008, 11:14 AM
Don't let 'lean and athletic' fool you into believing the Texans can never have big lineman well over 300lbs. Some fans seem to think ZBS lineman all need to weigh 300 or less.

duckseason
12-28-2008, 11:16 AM
Max Unger and the Ducks utilize ZB techniques in our spread option scheme. With his athleticism and experience, he's a great fit for a ZB-heavy NFL offense.

PACKmanN
12-28-2008, 11:19 AM
I'm a Texans fan. Kubiak likes to use the Zone Blocking Scheme for the Offense.

Alex Gibbs(O-Line coach) prefers lean and athletic O-Lineman for the ZBS for the Texans.I'm not trying to turn this into a "Who do the Texans need to pick" thread, but I was curious if the board experts have an opinion on who are the best pro OL prospects that can play in a Zone Blocking Scheme in this year's class.

That leads me to my next question. Is it necessary to have lean and athletic lineman to successfully run ZBS offense?....or can any good pro line,an adapt and be effective in a Zone Blocking Scheme offense?

the lineman doesn't have to be lean and athletic on all spots, that, imo, is made for the OT spots, on the OG and OC, they need to have quick feet to move around and get to their blocks.

Top 5 OT
1. Jason Smith
2. Eugene Monroe
3. Troy Kropog
4. Jamon Meredith
5. Augustus Parrish

Top 5 OG
1. Trevor Canfield
2. Tyronne Green
3. Andy Levitre
4. Kraig Urbik
5. Ryan Stanchek

Top 5 OC
1. Max Unger
2. Antoine Caldwell
3. Alex Mack
4. Jonathan Luigs
5. Eric Wood

Babylon
12-28-2008, 12:56 PM
^
Having Alex Mack as the 3rd best center in the country is almost sacrilegious on a sunday morning.

PACKmanN
12-28-2008, 01:10 PM
^
Having Alex Mack as the 3rd best center in the country is almost sacrilegious on a sunday morning.

did you read the thread's title?

Solomon
12-28-2008, 03:08 PM
the lineman doesn't have to be lean and athletic on all spots, that, imo, is made for the OT spots, on the OG and OC, they need to have quick feet to move around and get to their blocks.

Top 5 OT
1. Jason Smith
2. Eugene Monroe
3. Troy Kropog
4. Jamon Meredith
5. Augustus Parrish

Top 5 OG
1. Trevor Canfield
2. Tyronne Green
3. Andy Levitre
4. Kraig Urbik
5. Ryan Stanchek

Top 5 OC
1. Max Unger
2. Antoine Caldwell
3. Alex Mack
4. Jonathan Luigs
5. Eric Wood

Do you really think Urbik is a good fit for a ZBS? I haven't watched much of him but if he can block on the move that well he should be a hell of a prospect considering his size and college accolades.

underscore
12-28-2008, 03:24 PM
AQ Shipley is a bit short for an NFL center, but would be ideal in a zone blocking scheme.

PACKmanN
12-28-2008, 04:54 PM
Do you really think Urbik is a good fit for a ZBS? I haven't watched much of him but if he can block on the move that well he should be a hell of a prospect considering his size and college accolades.

he plays under one in Wisconsin so he must have the abilities to play in one.

Bigburt63
12-28-2008, 07:43 PM
The lineman don't necessarily need to be lean and athletic, they just need to have quick feet and be able to move well laterally. If an o-lineman is well over 300lbs but has quick feet then he can play, or at least be coached to play in the ZBS

Smokey Joe
12-28-2008, 07:46 PM
Just a little note for everyone... pretty much all variations of the spread use a ZBS. As for prospects that fit the system, Jason Smith and Jamon Meredith are made for the ZBS.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-28-2008, 07:49 PM
did you read the thread's title?

I'm not sure I'd agree that Caldwell and Unger are better ZBS prospects. Mack has done a lot of zone blocking at Cal and both pulls and gets to the second level as well or better than either Unger or Caldwell. Mack is a bigger guy, but I don't think that prohibits him.

the decider13
12-28-2008, 08:09 PM
Don't let 'lean and athletic' fool you into believing the Texans can never have big lineman well over 300lbs. Some fans seem to think ZBS lineman all need to weigh 300 or less.

Not totally true on tackles...Clady is 330 and is dominating on Denvers line.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-28-2008, 08:30 PM

Not sure Clady is that big. Denver has him listed at 325, but he was 309 at his pro day, so unless he was keeping a considerable amount of weight off for the draft process, I'm not sure I buy 330. Not that it matters much either way; Clady has been awesome.

Solomon
12-28-2008, 09:32 PM
he plays under one in Wisconsin so he must have the abilities to play in one.

That doesn't really say whether or not a ZBS scheme is the best fit for him...

SuperKevin
12-28-2008, 10:02 PM
Andrew Gardner out of Georgia Tech will be a great ZBS LT.

Halsey
12-28-2008, 10:03 PM

Which backs up my point that there are big lineman who can play in the ZBS...

energizerbunny
12-28-2008, 10:57 PM
you don't necessarily to be lean and undersized, however you must have a great understanding for the game and be able to pass blocks off to the guy beside you and you must also possess phenomenal lateral movement.

If a guy doesn't have great hands and feet he cannot play in a zone blocking system. This is why you see alot of lineman with wrestling backgrounds making exceptional good ZBS lineman. The size of the lineman is much less important then Hands and Feet, which is why alot of bigger mauler blue chippers can play in this system.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-29-2008, 12:26 AM
Andrew Gardner out of Georgia Tech will be a great ZBS LT.

It really depends on how he comes back from labrum surgery. His struggles in the year were somewhat expected given Paul Johnson's new offense, but they didn't leave him much positive senior tape to be seen by scouts and that could drive him down boards.

I liked what I saw from him last year, but you never know what a bad year and surgery will do to a kid.

furiousgod
12-29-2008, 07:46 PM
i watched mack almost religiously vs miami on saturday and was hardly impressed. he was good at stretch running; chip the dt then get on a backer but on man to man situations and pass he was often pushed into the backfield. me personally i wont make a final decision based off of one game but his performance to me leaves something to be desired.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-29-2008, 07:50 PM
i watched mack almost religiously vs miami on saturday and was hardly impressed. he was good at stretch running; chip the dt then get on a backer but on man to man situations and pass he was often pushed into the backfield. me personally i wont make a final decision based off of one game but his performance to me leaves something to be desired.

Due to work, I haven't managed to catch much Cal football this year, but the two games I did watch painted pretty different pictures. In the Miami game, Mack was solid in protection but wasn't quite as stout as I've seen him. That said, he got the second level really well. The other game, which was against USC, he pretty much held those defensive tackles in check all game. Moala had trouble even driving him back behind the LOS.

furiousgod
12-29-2008, 09:21 PM
Due to work, I haven't managed to catch much Cal football this year, but the two games I did watch painted pretty different pictures. In the Miami game, Mack was solid in protection but wasn't quite as stout as I've seen him. That said, he got the second level really well. The other game, which was against USC, he pretty much held those defensive tackles in check all game. Moala had trouble even driving him back behind the LOS.

my main question with alex mack is can he block nt 1on1 at the nfl level. i know he can run the stretch all day and do excellent, im sure he can block ut's in pass protection too, i just dont see him having the ability of being able to stand up to a nt.

energizerbunny
12-30-2008, 12:06 AM
my main question with alex mack is can he block nt 1on1 at the nfl level. i know he can run the stretch all day and do excellent, im sure he can block ut's in pass protection too, i just dont see him having the ability of being able to stand up to a nt.

There aren't many centers that can stand up 1 on 1 to NFL nose tackles, even the Saturday's and Kreutz's of the world require help sometimes.

However, I hope Mack decides to play in the senior bowl so we can see him up against top talent in 1 on 1 situations.

SuperKevin
12-30-2008, 01:22 AM
There aren't many centers that can stand up 1 on 1 to NFL nose tackles, even the Saturday's and Kreutz's of the world require help sometimes.

However, I hope Mack decides to play in the senior bowl so we can see him up against top talent in 1 on 1 situations.

He's played against top talent on a regular basis. He's gone up with success against Fili Moala, Sedrick Ellis, Brian Price(who I think is a first round talent in 2010 or 2011), and many others