PDA

View Full Version : The Official St. Louis Rams 2009 Offseason Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2

NGSeiler
12-28-2008, 10:20 PM
Season is over, let's start anew!

FREE AGENCY
Returning
FS O. Atogwe (franchise)
CB R. Bartell (4 yrs, $28M)
DE V. Adeyanju (RFA; 4th)
OL R. Incognito (RFA; 3rd)
OL M. Setterstrom
OL A. Goldberg
DE E. Moore

Arrivals
OL J. Brown (5 yrs, $37.5M)
SS J. Butler (4 yrs, $14M)
FB M. Karney (3 yrs, $3.6M)
TE B. Bajema

Departures
WR T. Holt
OL O. Pace
TE A. Becht
OL N. Leckey
OL B. Romberg
CB F. Brown
CB J. Craft
OL A. Davis
DT L. Glover
OL B. Gorin
WR D. Hall
WR D. Looker
CB R. Manning
RB T. Minor
OL R. Petitti
LB G. Stills
OL C. Withrow

2009 NFL DRAFT
Selections

NGSeiler
12-28-2008, 10:22 PM
In Atlanta, Devaney gained tremendous respect for Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan and Titans defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz, each of whom was a finalist for the Falcons’ head coaching job that went to Mike Smith.

Many around the league believe that Ryan is a favorite to land the Rams’ head coaching job. Ryan is the type of coach that could help turn around this franchise, and he would not command the type of salary that a Bill Cowher or a higher-profile head coach would. The Rams also are expected to talk with interim head coach Jim Haslett, who has the support of many of the Rams players, which should count for something.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/12/28/rex-ryan-has-inside-track-on-rams-job/

yodabear
12-28-2008, 10:24 PM
Amen to that! We played well against Atlanta. I want to see that Steven Jackson every game next season, he was awesome today. Lets get some big uglys and some more defensive help. I think we can improve with a new GM, possibly a new Head Coach (not really sure how I feel about Haslett coming back, but if thats what the players really want....) Lets forget these past two seasons going 5-27!!!!! Miami and Atlanta tihis year shows u can bounce back, lets go!

PossumBoy9
12-28-2008, 11:44 PM
5 wins in 32 games. Unbelievable.

NGSeiler
12-31-2008, 01:56 PM
Sounds as if Devaney has a pretty sound plan in place for this coaching search...

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/rams/story/D454F4E2FD81A5C686257530001A8431?OpenDocument

rockio42
01-02-2009, 01:25 AM
Sounds as if Devaney has a pretty sound plan in place for this coaching search...

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/rams/story/D454F4E2FD81A5C686257530001A8431?OpenDocument

When i read (on espn) that Super Man and Dan Dierdorf were going to be advising I was like...HOLY **** THE RAMS ARE SMART!!...its a freaking great idea and maybe Marshall will support my idea of getting a guy like Rex Ryan or Steve Spagnuolo

rockio42
01-07-2009, 12:09 AM
Ok am I the only one who is starting to think more and more about trading down from the #2 pick??

This is rare for me because I've basically watched the last 4 or 5 drafts pretty closely and have never advicated trading out of the spot they were at, so this isn't somthing I usually mention but hear me out...

At the beginning of the draft process, maybe more of the middle of the season when the prospects hadn't changed much and I basically knew the Rams were going to be drafting top 5, I like the idea very much of grabbing either Eugene Monroe or Michael Oher with the pick. This has sense changed thoughout the course of the season of both of thier stock have fallen from the pre-season top 10 billing both of them had. After this i took consolation in the idea of getting the main-child that is Andre Smith. I flew with this idea for the past 2 months or so and had stuck pretty hard with my convictions. Then I talked to some local radio guys and heard that the (at the time) FO of the Rams though Andre Smith was fat and lazy and this got me thinking how sure-fire Andre Smith was for the Rams pick. I still stuck to the fact that he was amazing when he dominated the 1st quarter of the Florida game...wow that did not last much longer, and my his stock for me had plummeted since; add in the suspension from the bowl game and Andre Smith just doesn't seem like the perfect candidate for a guy at #2, sure he has the measurables of a guy like Jake Long (maybe not the feet, something that scares me dearly) but he is missing that rock hard character that Long had.

At this point, and at a certain point after my Monroe/Oher love and before my Andre Smith love, I began to dig the idea of improving a LB core that wasn't very good this year...screw the fudging they were pretty damn bad. Obviously i was thinking about Aaron Curry, who even Scott has talked about as one of the best LB prospects in recent memory and had even receieved his elusive *ELITE* status. This thought was soon crushed by some problems in his game being pointed out and his god-status being removed, add that to the fact that it's hard to justify a LB at #2 in the first place and you have a problem. Now I'm not abandoning the idea of Curry, I just believe his is more valuable at say #5 or #6. Add in the amazing depth of this OT class (guys like Jason Smith, Oher, Britton, Black, Kropog - all mid-late first and second round guys) to the mix and I think the Rams are in the perfect scenario to remedy both the value of Curry and the glaring need that is OT.

The remedy I propose is a trade down in the 1st. As stated before I belive not only will this give us the ability to grab one of my favortie prospects on defense, Aaron Curry, but this could also (considering the differance between #2 and #4 is worth the #21 pick) give us another pick or the leverage to move back into (or farther up into) the first round and grab one of the OTs that should be avalible (Britton, Smith, Oher, Black) or hell lets go one step further and maybe even improve out defense even further and grab B.J. Raji in the middle of the first round (now THAT would be a good D-line) and then grab a guy like Kropog in the 2nd round

Its just a scenario i was thinking about over the past couple of days and i know its a ****-load to read but id love to hear anyones ideas about it

NGSeiler
01-07-2009, 11:55 AM
Well, trading down is always much easier said than done. I would imagine many teams when they get top picks like that would probably prefer to trade down and gather more picks so they can address more positions, but you've gotta find a trading partner to make it work. The cost of trading down from the second overall pick in terms of pick compensation is huge, and the cost of trading up in terms of added contractual demands is huge as well. Ultimately I wouldn't hold my breath hoping it happens, though I agree with you in that I'm not completely sold on Smith and don't think we can go LB where we are now.

rockio42
01-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Well, trading down is always much easier said than done. I would imagine many teams when they get top picks like that would probably prefer to trade down and gather more picks so they can address more positions, but you've gotta find a trading partner to make it work. The cost of trading down from the second overall pick in terms of pick compensation is huge, and the cost of trading up in terms of added contractual demands is huge as well. Ultimately I wouldn't hold my breath hoping it happens, though I agree with you in that I'm not completely sold on Smith and don't think we can go LB where we are now.

Yea...I realized that, but it was something I thought I had to mention...more than anything if we trade down to #5 or #6 we could get a bunch of picks and then package those to move up again but ya thanks for the comment

did you read all of it?

NGSeiler
01-07-2009, 12:08 PM
did you read all of it?

Yep. Don't get me wrong, if we can trade down and get two first-round caliber players, I'm all for it. I just can't really get my hopes up for a trade because of how rare they are at that spot.

rockio42
01-07-2009, 12:34 PM
Yep. Don't get me wrong, if we can trade down and get two first-round caliber players, I'm all for it. I just can't really get my hopes up for a trade because of how rare they are at that spot.

Yea, me too but I thought i needed to express my growing distrust of the supposed top three OTs this year (Andre Smith, Oher, and Monroe) and the inability of us to take Curry

NGSeiler
01-07-2009, 03:11 PM
The St. Louis Rams have scheduled interviews with Patriots OC Josh McDaniels (Friday) and Baltimore DC Rex Ryan (Sunday).

Meanwhile, contrary to some reports, the team does not plan to interview Tampa Bay’s Raheem Morris.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/rams/story/6C5FD13C27CF7D9086257537006FA037?OpenDocument

rockio42
01-07-2009, 11:51 PM
sweeeeeeet...REX RYAN PLEASE

NGSeiler
01-08-2009, 11:45 PM
Martz returning to St. Louis? Maybe, if Haslett is head coach...

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/rams/story/991C35DCDF6A058A862575390010F430?OpenDocument

holt_bruce81
01-09-2009, 01:26 AM

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/rams/story/991C35DCDF6A058A862575390010F430?OpenDocument

Stupid stupid move. Haslett wants to build the team around a power running game and a play-action game. Hiring Martz would make much sense.

rockio42
01-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Martz is one of two people I don't want to see in St. Louis...

Trolfes
01-11-2009, 02:07 PM
I'm back after a long season. I wasn't able to watch most of the games because I go to school in New Orleans, so I missed the awful play this year. I think we should trade down because we have so many needs on the team, and I don't know if its worth taking an OT number 2 because of the depth this year. If we can't trade down, I think we should take a look at drafting Crabtree. I don't think there is a player people will trade up to number 2 for limiting our options. Drafting crabtree would allow us to get rid of Torry Holt, freeing up some money for Free agency. I think drafting crabtree would be the best move if we can't trade down.

holt_bruce81
01-11-2009, 10:21 PM
I'm back after a long season. I wasn't able to watch most of the games because I go to school in New Orleans, so I missed the awful play this year. I think we should trade down because we have so many needs on the team, and I don't know if its worth taking an OT number 2 because of the depth this year. If we can't trade down, I think we should take a look at drafting Crabtree. I don't think there is a player people will trade up to number 2 for limiting our options. Drafting crabtree would allow us to get rid of Torry Holt, freeing up some money for Free agency. I think drafting crabtree would be the best move if we can't trade down.

If we can't trade down and the decide not to go the Offensive Tackle route so early in the draft......give me Aaron Curry or Malcolm Jenkins.

yodabear
01-11-2009, 10:26 PM

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, NO!!!!!!!!! I know we won games with Martz and all that, I just don't want him again. And I am not wanting Haslett back, I want Rex Ryan or someone else. BTW, I am still a Rams fan, but I want to see our NFC West counterpart do well and erase all the myths that they are a phony playoff team cuz they played in a division with us, San Francisco, and Seattle.

rockio42
01-11-2009, 10:29 PM
I was about to ask what the **** that was about yodachu...but I'm an Eagles and Baltimore fan soooooo ya...and I kinda want the NFC West and Kurt Warner to win the Super Bowl but can you imagine Bill Bidwel...BILL ******* BIDWELL having a god damn super bowl ring, seriously...

yodabear
01-11-2009, 10:35 PM
I was about to ask what the **** that was about yodachu...but I'm an Eagles and Baltimore fan soooooo ya...and I kinda want the NFC West and Kurt Warner to win the Super Bowl but can you imagine Bill Bidwel...BILL ******* BIDWELL having a god damn super bowl ring, seriously...

I like to ignore that fact because of Kurt Warner and the NFC West, although when it was the Seahawks I did not cheer for them, guess I am being a hypocrite.

NGSeiler
01-12-2009, 07:10 AM
More info on the coaching search...

Rams could advance Giants DC Steve Spagnuolo to finalist status if they want, but as of Sunday night haven't officially requested permission to speak with him.

Devaney interviewed Baltimore DC Rex Ryan for three hours Sunday morning in Baltimore (as opposed to his five hour interview with the Jets). Indications are that the Ryan interview went well.

Devaney flew back to St. Louis so he'd be in town to interview 49ers front office man Mike Williams Sunday night for the Rams' director of pro personnel position.

New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels did not make it for his Friday interview with the Rams, but spoke with Devaney via phone. Obviously he's out of the running.

Minnesota DC Leslie Frazier is expected to have his finalist interview with team ownership on Tuesday in LA. Haslett is the only other known finalist.

Apparently there is also a mystery candidate, according to league sources.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/rams/story/56E3D9025938E98B8625753C000F5306?OpenDocument

rockio42
01-12-2009, 08:48 AM
I like to ignore that fact because of Kurt Warner and the NFC West, although when it was the Seahawks I did not cheer for them, guess I am being a hypocrite.

I can't seem to get over the Bill Bidwell thing, I grew up HATING that guy, and this is from a kid who grew up with a dad who loved the 49ers, talk about mixed emotions...

yodabear
01-12-2009, 01:04 PM
More info on the coaching search...

Rams could advance Giants DC Steve Spagnuolo to finalist status if they want, but as of Sunday night haven't officially requested permission to speak with him.

Devaney interviewed Baltimore DC Rex Ryan for three hours Sunday morning in Baltimore (as opposed to his five hour interview with the Jets). Indications are that the Ryan interview went well.

Devaney flew back to St. Louis so he'd be in town to interview 49ers front office man Mike Williams Sunday night for the Rams' director of pro personnel position.

New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels did not make it for his Friday interview with the Rams, but spoke with Devaney via phone. Obviously he's out of the running.

Minnesota DC Leslie Frazier is expected to have his finalist interview with team ownership on Tuesday in LA. Haslett is the only other known finalist.

Apparently there is also a mystery candidate, according to league sources.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/rams/story/56E3D9025938E98B8625753C000F5306?OpenDocument

Sounds interesting. I like Frazier and Ryan, also Spags too. Those would be yodachu's finalists.

rockio42
01-12-2009, 02:46 PM
Ryan And Spags have been my favs for the whole time so far

but Morris and Frazier are my second tier guys

holt_bruce81
01-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Rams down to 5....

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/around-the-horns/around-the-horns/2009/01/st-louis-rams-mystery-candidate-jason-garrett-finalists-set/

Justin Garrett
Rex Ryan
Jim Haslett
Steve Spagnuolo
Leslie Frazier

holt_bruce81
01-13-2009, 11:03 AM
If I had to rank from most to least likely to get the job it would be....

1. Steve Spagnuolo
2. Leslie Frazier
3. Jim Haslett
4. Justin Garrett
5. Rex Ryan

yodabear
01-13-2009, 04:01 PM
I have to agree with that list. The finalists in order of Yodachu's most wanted to least wanted.

1. Leslie Fraizer
2. Steve Spagnuolo
3. Rex Ryan
4. Jim Haslett
5. Winston Moss
6. Jason Garrett

I know Moss isn't a finalist, but I do not want Jason Garrett, I want someone with a defensive background, the top 5 do, Garrett does not. I would have no problem with any of top 3.

holt_bruce81
01-13-2009, 06:35 PM
I have to agree with that list. The finalists in order of Yodachu's most wanted to least wanted.

1. Leslie Fraizer
2. Steve Spagnuolo
3. Rex Ryan
4. Jim Haslett
5. Winston Moss
6. Jason Garrett

I know Moss isn't a finalist, but I do not want Jason Garrett, I want someone with a defensive background, the top 5 do, Garrett does not. I would have no problem with any of top 3.

If Jason Garrett is hired, it might be the 2nd coming of Scott Linehan.

rockio42
01-13-2009, 11:46 PM
If Jason Garrett is hired, it might be the 2nd coming of Scott Linehan.

thanks a lot man, now im going to have nightmares until we hire someone else....

gpngc
01-13-2009, 11:51 PM
OT Question for Rams fans...

How can you draft a tackle at pick #2 if Pace and Barron are both ready by camp? The #2 overall pick can't sit on the bench, and I wouldn't believe they'd play a guy like Smith at guard until Pace retired. Maybe they would?

Was Barron that bad? Bad enough for the new coach not to give him a second chance?

Maybe Pace won't be ready by then? I know he is older and at risk of another injury, but you can't spend the #2 pick on an insurance policy. Unless it's a QB- that high of a pick with that much $ should be on the field right away. Right?

yodabear
01-14-2009, 01:43 AM
thanks a lot man, now im going to have nightmares until we hire someone else....

Sorry to scare u even more, but at least Linehan won a playoff game with an elite receiver like Randy Moss. Jason Garrett hasn't won a playoff game with an elite receiver like Terrell Owens. It could even be worse.

NGSeiler
01-14-2009, 11:19 AM
How can you draft a tackle at pick #2 if Pace and Barron are both ready by camp?

I'm sure if they pick an OT, whoever it is would be in the mix to start somewhere, whether it's at right tackle or inside at guard. This was a team that was high on Jake Long last year before he was nabbed by Miami, so they probably already have an idea about how they'd get a high OT pick on the field.

Was Barron that bad? Bad enough for the new coach not to give him a second chance?

I'm pretty sure he led the Rams' line in sacks allowed and finished second in penalties. He's been a penalty machine since he came into the league and hasn't been the kind of blocker you expect a top 20 pick to be. He has one more year on his contract, so he could be kept for 2009. But most feel that an eventual replacement needs to be found.

Think of it this way - when the Rams drafted John Greco in the third round last year, the early talk was that he would push Barron at RT rather than factor in immediately at guard. I think the Rams are losing patience in Barron as well as Incognito while we're listing names.

Maybe Pace won't be ready by then? I know he is older and at risk of another injury, but you can't spend the #2 pick on an insurance policy.

You wouldn't be spending it on an insurance policy; you'd be spending it on his heir apparent and the guy who is going to be your blind side tackle for the next decade.

rockio42
01-14-2009, 12:21 PM

How can you draft a tackle at pick #2 if Pace and Barron are both ready by camp? The #2 overall pick can't sit on the bench, and I wouldn't believe they'd play a guy like Smith at guard until Pace retired. Maybe they would?

Maybe Pace won't be ready by then? I know he is older and at risk of another injury, but you can't spend the #2 pick on an insurance policy. Unless it's a QB- that high of a pick with that much $ should be on the field right away. Right?

I made a post on this on the last page of what would be an ideal situation for the Rams, maybe that would clear some stuff up for you

NGSeiler
01-15-2009, 10:39 PM
Haslett has officially been eliminated from the Rams coaching search.

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/around-the-horns/around-the-horns/2009/01/looks-like-haslett-is-out-with-st-louis-rams/

Adam Schefter is reporting that Leslie Frazier is the favorite right now...

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/01/15/rams-closing-in-on-next-coaching-hire/

yodabear
01-16-2009, 12:45 AM
Haslett has officially been eliminated from the Rams coaching search.

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/around-the-horns/around-the-horns/2009/01/looks-like-haslett-is-out-with-st-louis-rams/

Adam Schefter is reporting that Leslie Frazier is the favorite right now...

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/01/15/rams-closing-in-on-next-coaching-hire/

I like it. I have no beefs with the final three it seems, Fraizer, Spags, and Uncle Rex. We can do it!

NGSeiler
01-16-2009, 08:16 AM
Yahoo's Jason Cole is reporting that a decision between Frazier and Spagnuolo could be made as early as today...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Akq0egS_LuvqqbHcy1A1JDJDubYF?slug=jc-ramscoachopening011509&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

PossumBoy9
01-16-2009, 10:51 AM
I hope it's Spagnuolo.

NGSeiler
01-16-2009, 06:35 PM
Garrett arrives in St. Louis for “second interview” with Rams (http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/around-the-horns/around-the-horns/2009/01/garrett-arrives-in-st-louis-for-second-interview-with-rams/)
By Jim Thomas
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
01.16.2009 6:13 pm

Jason Garrett landed in St. Louis early Friday evening with his wife Brill, and told the Post-Dispatch that he was just here for a second interview and that no job had been offered.

Minutes earlier, en route to the airport, Devaney was singing the same tune.

“It’s part of the interview process,” Devaney insisted. “He wanted to look at the facility. We’re not close to moving on Jason Garrett. I’m not even going to say he’s the leading guy.”

Take that for what it’s worth, but Garrett is the only finalist to visit St. Louis. And he did have his wife with him. Devaney also said that he’d already made his recommendation to owner Chip Rosenbloom on who he wanted to hire as the next Rams head coach.

Devaney said he hoped to reach a decision by Monday on the next Rams head coach.

Garrett and Devaney have a lot in common. They’re both from New Jersey. They’re both big Bruce Springsteen fans, and they’re both represented by the same agent _ David Dunn.

yodabear
01-16-2009, 06:52 PM
Garrett arrives in St. Louis for “second interview” with Rams (http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/around-the-horns/around-the-horns/2009/01/garrett-arrives-in-st-louis-for-second-interview-with-rams/)
By Jim Thomas
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
01.16.2009 6:13 pm

Jason Garrett landed in St. Louis early Friday evening with his wife Brill, and told the Post-Dispatch that he was just here for a second interview and that no job had been offered.

Minutes earlier, en route to the airport, Devaney was singing the same tune.

“It’s part of the interview process,” Devaney insisted. “He wanted to look at the facility. We’re not close to moving on Jason Garrett. I’m not even going to say he’s the leading guy.”

Take that for what it’s worth, but Garrett is the only finalist to visit St. Louis. And he did have his wife with him. Devaney also said that he’d already made his recommendation to owner Chip Rosenbloom on who he wanted to hire as the next Rams head coach.

Devaney said he hoped to reach a decision by Monday on the next Rams head coach.

Garrett and Devaney have a lot in common. They’re both from New Jersey. They’re both big Bruce Springsteen fans, and they’re both represented by the same agent _ David Dunn.

I'm a big fan of Bruce Springsteen too, can I interview too? But I am not from New Jersey and not represented by any1, but if I get one it can be David Dunn. Good lord, I do not want Jason Garrett. I want Spags or Fraizer like the dude from yahoo said.

nfrillman
01-17-2009, 03:28 AM

Hey guys, been away a while. I know you were all missing me. Anyways, I would say I am 75%+ sure that the Rams will draft an OT. The Rams need help on the offensive line badly. Pace is getting older, but he could be around a few more years with the longevity of OTs. He could also retire after next season, so his spot is dicey. Then on the other side, Barron has received mixed reviews from Rams fans, but the one thing they can agree on is that the penalty issue is ridiculous. My proposed solution, draft an OT and move Barron to RG. It would put him closer to the ball to help with penalties, and his play would probably be better. Most OTs are able to play OG, a prime example of this, Robery Gallery. He struggle at OT, but after moving to OG has played much better if I'm not mistaken. So yes, the number 2 pick will most likely be on the field immediately. As for the reason being money, that doesn't make sense. Typically draft pay is slotted by spot regardless of the position the player plays. Wouldn't be better to be paying a high salary to a position that is highly paid across the league like OT, instead of paying number 2 overall money for a position that isn't high on the pay scale.

NGSeiler
01-18-2009, 01:10 PM
Adam Schefter is reporting that new Rams head coach Steve Spagnuolo may target Eagles quarterbacks coach Pat Shurmur as his offensive coordinator. If Shurmur isn't available, the next choice may be Eagles wide receivers coach David Culley. On defense, Spagnuolo reportedly would like to bring in Giants linebackers coach Bill Sheridan as DC.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/01/18/ripple-effects-after-spagnuolos-hiring/

rockio42
01-18-2009, 09:35 PM
I didn't realize that Saunders was fired...I guess he was out when Haslett was aliminated??

holt_bruce81
01-19-2009, 12:40 AM
I didn't realize that Saunders was fired...I guess he was out when Haslett was aliminated??

I don't think he was ever officially fired. Just when teams hire a new Head Coach, very rarely do any assistants keep their jobs who were on the previous staff. I'm hoping Henry Ellard is kept, he survived the Martz-Linehan switch.

NGSeiler
01-20-2009, 02:14 PM
Adam Caplan of Scout is reporting that the Rams are expected to name Eagles QB coach Pat Shurmur as OC and Panthers LB coach Ken Flajole as DC.

http://profootball.scout.com/2/831969.html

yodabear
01-20-2009, 02:54 PM
BTW every1, the force is with Spags.

freebirdsrams02
01-20-2009, 03:24 PM
Adam Caplan of Scout is reporting that the Rams are expected to name Eagles QB coach Pat Shurmur as OC and Panthers LB coach Ken Flajole as DC.

If they bring in both those gys hopefully they ahd good relationships with players from those teams, because when free agency starts there are going to be some good players from those teams. Julius Peppers tops that list and he wants out of carolina. The Eagles and Giants also have good FA that might want to leave so hopefully they follow them to the Rams.

rockio42
01-20-2009, 10:55 PM

If Spags can do with Long what he did with Tuck and Toffelson and Flajole can do with a guy like Aaron Curry like he did with Jon Beason our defense will be damn good...

holt_bruce81
01-20-2009, 11:00 PM
http://www.gastongazette.com/sports/trgovac_29533___article.html/panthers_defensive.html

Linebackers coach Ken Flajole has agreed to join the St. Louis Rams as their new defensive coordinator, while defensive line coach Sal Sunseri has joined the University of Alabama staff, reuniting with Nick Saban, whom he coached with in 2002.

NGSeiler
01-21-2009, 09:27 AM
The hiring of Eagles QB coach Pat Shurmur as St. Louis' new offensive coordinator has been made official.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/rams/story/46C39B86368ED142862575450015C06F?OpenDocument

nfrillman
01-23-2009, 06:46 PM
If they bring in both those gys hopefully they ahd good relationships with players from those teams, because when free agency starts there are going to be some good players from those teams. Julius Peppers tops that list and he wants out of carolina. The Eagles and Giants also have good FA that might want to leave so hopefully they follow them to the Rams.

While I certainly wouldn't mind the Rams getting Peppers, they have holes that need filled in several places and his contract is going to be huge. More importantly, Peppers probably wants to go somewhere to try to win the Superbowl, and not to be pessimistic but I'm not sure St. Louis too high on the list of Superbowl contenders. If they get him I'd be excited, but I'd venture to say that Little and Long will start at DE next season.

holt_bruce81
01-23-2009, 09:56 PM
While I certainly wouldn't mind the Rams getting Peppers, they have holes that need filled in several places and his contract is going to be huge. More importantly, Peppers probably wants to go somewhere to try to win the Superbowl, and not to be pessimistic but I'm not sure St. Louis too high on the list of Superbowl contenders. If they get him I'd be excited, but I'd venture to say that Little and Long will start at DE next season.

Agreed Sir.

I think the Rams number 1 Free Agent target should be Jordan Gross.

holt_bruce81
01-26-2009, 01:18 AM
Andre Smith, Eugene Monroe, Aaron Curry, Michael Crabtree.....to me it's between those four guys with our 1st round pick.

I'm liking Crabtree more and more everyday. I guess it depends what the Rams do in free agency. could you imagine filling the Offensive Tackle and safety needs in free agency, then having the first 3 rounds being.....Crabtree, Laurinaitis, and someone like Caldwell in the 3rd.

rockio42
01-26-2009, 08:03 AM
I'm going to say this right now...I would rather have a combo (if our free agency is what holt_bruce says it could be) of Aaron Curry and Hakeem Nicks/Kenny Britt in the 1st and 2nd than Crabtree and Laurinaitis, but thats just me

holt_bruce81
01-27-2009, 07:46 PM
What does everyone think about Channing Crowder? I've been reading through a lot of Rams Fans mock offseason and 90% of them have the Rams signing Crowder.

thetedginnshow
01-28-2009, 02:28 PM
http://ballhype.com/story/steve_spagnuolo_likes_dick_curl/

That's fun.

holt_bruce81
01-29-2009, 01:51 PM
http://ballhype.com/story/steve_spagnuolo_likes_dick_curl/

That's fun.

Ha that's awesome.

nfrillman
01-29-2009, 07:15 PM
I have been a fan of taking Crabtree for quite some time. I can definitely see the logic in taking an OT, but the Rams are in a state where I think they'd be awfully foolish to not take Crabtree if they think he is the best player in the draft (my opinion). Drafting a WR becomes even more logical if Holt is a cap casualty. While most Rams fans seem to want an OT, I simply want the best player they can get at that spot. In five years I will be pretty upset if we have an above average OT and Crabtree is a top 5 WR in the league. Of course that is all speculation, but in my opinion they should take whoever they think the best player is. As for Curry, from what little I have heard about him he intrigues me, but I have seen him projected as an OLB. The Rams need an impact MLB. If you watched the Rams this last season it was painfully obvious that Witherspoon is an average starting MLB at best. Bringing in an impact MLB via draft or FA and moving Witherspoon outside could turn the LB core from a weakness into a strength.

holt_bruce81
01-29-2009, 07:35 PM
I have been a fan of taking Crabtree for quite some time. I can definitely see the logic in taking an OT, but the Rams are in a state where I think they'd be awfully foolish to not take Crabtree if they think he is the best player in the draft (my opinion). Drafting a WR becomes even more logical if Holt is a cap casualty. While most Rams fans seem to want an OT, I simply want the best player they can get at that spot. In five years I will be pretty upset if we have an above average OT and Crabtree is a top 5 WR in the league. Of course that is all speculation, but in my opinion they should take whoever they think the best player is. As for Curry, from what little I have heard about him he intrigues me, but I have seen him projected as an OLB. The Rams need an impact MLB. If you watched the Rams this last season it was painfully obvious that Witherspoon is an average starting MLB at best. Bringing in an impact MLB via draft or FA and moving Witherspoon outside could turn the LB core from a weakness into a strength.

Word is, Devaney actually has Jeremy Maclin rated as his #1 Receiver ahead of Crabtree.

holt_bruce81
01-29-2009, 07:50 PM
http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/around-the-horns/around-the-horns/2009/01/st-louis-rams-to-hire-croom-2-others/

St. Louis Rams to hire Croom, 2 others

Although there has been no official announcement or confirmation, the Rams are set to hire former Mississippi State head coach Sylvester Croom to their staff, according to league sources. It is believed that Croom, 54, would coach running backs in St. Louis.

The Rams also are hiring Rock Gullickson as strength and conditioning coach, and Matt House to an undetermined position, according to league sources.

PossumBoy9
01-29-2009, 09:05 PM
I had Jason Smith to the Rams on Thanksgiving. I feel there's a better chance of that happening now.

Of course, I'm starting to think there's a decent chance that the Rams draft Michael Crabtree.

nfrillman
01-29-2009, 10:25 PM
Word is, Devaney actually has Jeremy Maclin rated as his #1 Receiver ahead of Crabtree.

Well I am most definitely a Maclin fan. I am basically going to be fine with this new staff doing whatever they want as long as its nothing completely insane. Right now though, I just think the Rams are in a position to take the best player available. I am more than happy to let them determine who the best players are, if they do all their scouting and like Maclin better than Crabtree that is completely fine by me. The more I think about it, I'm actually not so sure who I'd grade as the best player in this class. There are just so many guys in that same top group.

NGSeiler
01-29-2009, 10:57 PM
I have been a fan of taking Crabtree for quite some time. I can definitely see the logic in taking an OT, but the Rams are in a state where I think they'd be awfully foolish to not take Crabtree if they think he is the best player in the draft (my opinion). Drafting a WR becomes even more logical if Holt is a cap casualty.

Even as someone who prefers an OT, I could definitely get behind the Crabtree pick (as well as some others but that's another discussion) for the exact reasons you mentioned.

I think Crabtree's size would be a nice compliment opposite of Avery and his speed. Plus, I think all signs right now are pointing to Holt not being on this team in 2009. Too many factors work against him - a high cap cost, a lot of cap savings if he's cut, his attitude and perceived indifference at remaining a Ram, etc.

Plus, if the addition of Shurmur means a shift towards a West Coast style offense, having a receiver like Crabtree would be a plus. The only other receiver on the Rams' roster over six feet tall is Drew Bennett. :-\

And that word comes from...?

PossumBoy9
01-30-2009, 05:22 PM
What happened to the original post from this thread?

Was posting that mock a no-no by the OP?

holt_bruce81
01-30-2009, 07:52 PM
And that word comes from...?

St. Louis sports radio.

giantsfan
01-31-2009, 12:14 AM
So just wondering but do any of you guys see Spags wanting Malcolm Jenkins? Personally I'd grab Andre Smith since i think he's a future All-Pro LT, but other's are starting to doubt him because they haven't watched him in a while and Oher had a decent showing at the senior bowl to grab attention amongst hte top LTs.

But if you guys chose not to go OT I see Malcolm Jenkins and Spags as a match made in heaven. Curry's my top rated defender but your LB corps is solid already and spags' scheme plays very little emphasis on the LBs as long as they play smart and can support against the run. So it comes down to Jenkins, Rak/Brown or Crabtree, I love Rak and all, but I think spags will want to see what he can get out of your current DLine before starting to build it into a dominant unit and Jenkins is just the prototype cornerback for spags because he's long, physical, sticks to his man and does a great job breaking on the ball. Plus with Jenkins and Bartell as our starting corners that gives you a lot more freedom to be aggressive on d and cover up the holes in the Dline with scheming.

nfrillman
01-31-2009, 03:56 PM
So just wondering but do any of you guys see Spags wanting Malcolm Jenkins? Personally I'd grab Andre Smith since i think he's a future All-Pro LT, but other's are starting to doubt him because they haven't watched him in a while and Oher had a decent showing at the senior bowl to grab attention amongst hte top LTs.

But if you guys chose not to go OT I see Malcolm Jenkins and Spags as a match made in heaven. Curry's my top rated defender but your LB corps is solid already and spags' scheme plays very little emphasis on the LBs as long as they play smart and can support against the run. So it comes down to Jenkins, Rak/Brown or Crabtree, I love Rak and all, but I think spags will want to see what he can get out of your current DLine before starting to build it into a dominant unit and Jenkins is just the prototype cornerback for spags because he's long, physical, sticks to his man and does a great job breaking on the ball. Plus with Jenkins and Bartell as our starting corners that gives you a lot more freedom to be aggressive on d and cover up the holes in the Dline with scheming.

I'm not sure how other Rams fans feel about it, but I certainly wouldn't say the LBs are solid. In fact, I would say that as a unit they were the worst on the D. I am a big fan of Witherspoon, but it's obvious he much better suited to play the outside. As for Jenkins, anything is possible, but I'd say it's very unlikely the Rams take a CB at #2. If they trade down it becomes a possibility, but right now I'd say most likely positions in order are OT, WR, LB, QB, and then some other D spot. To me only OT, WR, and LB make sense.

NGSeiler
01-31-2009, 11:46 PM
St. Louis sports radio.

I'll take that one with a grain of salt then...

holt_bruce81
02-01-2009, 12:05 AM

Well Yeah.

PossumBoy9
02-02-2009, 01:32 PM

Let's hope, at least.

Crabtree > Maclin

diabsoule
02-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Rams hire Sylvester Croom and four others.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3879443

jbell15
02-05-2009, 06:15 PM
honestly, drafting Crabtree would be the worst thing to happen to the rams since Lawrence Phillips.
we don NOT need another wr nearly as bad as we need line and lb help.
we need to draft a MLB and an o-lineman wit our first two picks, however that works out.
the best situations include
curry/beatty
or
monroe/lauranaitis
or
monroe/sintim
the cost of MLB or OT at two are significantly less than a wr, meaning we would have to cut holt. so therefore crabtree and holt can't play together, so........
if you were to put crabtree on this years team instead of holt, would we be better?
the answer is no because we had no line.
crabtree will be a great player, but he should NOT, and will NOT be a ram.

holt_bruce81
02-05-2009, 10:53 PM
honestly, drafting Crabtree would be the worst thing to happen to the rams since Lawrence Phillips.
we need to draft a MLB and an o-lineman wit our first two picks, however that works out.
the best situations include
curry/beatty
or
monroe/lauranaitis
or
monroe/sintim
the cost of MLB or OT at two are significantly less than a wr, meaning we would have to cut holt. so therefore crabtree and holt can't play together, so........
if you were to put crabtree on this years team instead of holt, would we be better?
the answer is no because we had no line.
crabtree will be a great player, but he should NOT, and will NOT be a ram.

Crabtree could very well be a Ram. If Devaney thinks this is a deep Offensive Line class, he could go best player available in round 1. And lets face it, I give it a 30% chance that Torry Holt is on the team next season. I think Center is a bigger need than an Offensive Tackle.

Crabtree, Avery and Burton as the future Receiving core looks really good to me. Maybe sign an Offensive Tackle via free agency then draft a Center like Alex Mack in the 2nd and a Strong Safety or Linebacker in the 3rd.

NGSeiler
02-06-2009, 04:28 PM

But you agree it is a need. OT, MLB, WR... they're all needs. It would be a horrible idea if this team restricted itself to only picking its biggest need with its first round pick. No NFL team should handcuff themselves like that.

The draft selection should be a combination of talent and need. The Rams have to consider areas where they are weak, but also must stay true to their draft board. It would be tough to pass on Crabtree if they view him as the best available player simply because they feel they have bigger needs elsewhere.

Two weeks ago, there was an interesting nugget about Crabtree in the Post-Dispatch that seemed to indicate he'd be a consideration for the Rams...

"A guy like Crabtree would be a sexy pick," said the NFC scout. "He's a big-time down-the-field receiver. He'll come in and be good. He's legit. Just listening to the Rams' scouts, I guarantee you the people there are going to be pushing for Crabtree.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/rams/story/8F1CEA8A5960E8688625754900121AED?OpenDocument

First of all, I'm not sure how you're figuring that a MLB or OT drafted second overall isn't going to cost as much as a WR drafted second overall.

But secondly, a decision on Holt is likely going to have to be made well before the Rams select their first round player. Holt carries a $10.2 million salary cap number. I would be shocked if the Rams did nothing about that because that's a lot of cap space.

There are really only three options - (1) he takes a paycut, which I think is unlikely, (2) he signs an extension and converts part of his 2009 salary to bonus money spread out over the newly added contract years, (3) he gets cut or traded, clearing nearly $8 million in cap space.

But again, that decision is going to be independent from what the Rams do in April.

Crabtree could very well be a Ram. If Devaney thinks this is a deep Offensive Line class, he could go best player available in round 1. And lets face it, I give it a 30% chance that Torry Holt is on the team next season. I think Center is a bigger need than an Offensive Tackle.

Crabtree, Avery and Burton as the future Receiving core looks really good to me. Maybe sign an Offensive Tackle via free agency then draft a Center like Alex Mack in the 2nd and a Strong Safety or Linebacker in the 3rd.

Center is more of an immediate need than OT, but I would consider OT the bigger long-term need, simply because of the importance of having a capable blind-side protector. Plus, if you look around the league, I'm pretty sure over 80% of the starting LTs come from the first two rounds of the draft. The Rams could find a capable center to groom in the mid rounds (Eric Wood, Antoine Caldwell [my current preference], or A.Q. Shipley).

If the Rams go Crabtree with their second overall pick, I'd like to see them come back in the second round and nab Beatty. I figure at that point he'll probably be the best available tackle on the board, but even that isn't set in stone. I honestly don't see the Rams being a big player in free agency, so I wouldn't count on the addition of a capable free agent tackle.

holt_bruce81
02-06-2009, 09:55 PM
What are some free agents you guys would like the Rams to get? (realistically speaking)

NGSeiler
02-07-2009, 12:48 PM
What are some free agents you guys would like the Rams to get? (realistically speaking)

The two that stand out for me right now are Jason Brown (C, Ravens) and James Butler (S, Giants).

nfrillman
02-08-2009, 12:52 AM
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/rams/story/4CDB1382E11B6BD6862575560014D2BD?OpenDocument

Good article about the Rams cap situation. They have about $14 million in cap space, but still must sign rookies, Bartell, and Atogwe with it. If they cut/trade Holt and Pace they will free up 14 million more, 8 from Holt and 6 from Pace. Releasing Chavous would clear up 1.2, Pisa 2.25, Green 1.3, and Wroten 726,000. Holt is almost certainly going to be gone, I would also like to see Chavous and Green go. If they release Pace they basically have to get a starting LT in FA or draft, but if they can find a replacement I'd be ok with it.

NGSeiler
02-08-2009, 12:11 PM
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/rams/story/4CDB1382E11B6BD6862575560014D2BD?OpenDocument

Good article about the Rams cap situation. They have about $14 million in cap space, but still must sign rookies, Bartell, and Atogwe with it. If they cut/trade Holt and Pace they will free up 14 million more, 8 from Holt and 6 from Pace. Releasing Chavous would clear up 1.2, Pisa 2.25, Green 1.3, and Wroten 726,000. Holt is almost certainly going to be gone, I would also like to see Chavous and Green go. If they release Pace they basically have to get a starting LT in FA or draft, but if they can find a replacement I'd be ok with it.

Interesting, if true, that they were shopping both Holt and Pace at the Senior Bowl.

holt_bruce81
02-08-2009, 04:32 PM
I don't want them to get rid of Pace. I'd like to see them restructure his contract though. He only allowed 2 sacks last year, that's pretty dang good.

I find it interesting that Tennessee was offering a 1st round pick for Holt.

gpngc
02-08-2009, 05:27 PM
I don't want them to get rid of Pace. I'd like to see them restructure his contract though. He only allowed 2 sacks last year, that's pretty dang good.

I find it interesting that Tennessee was offering a 1st round pick for Holt.

Bad job not pulling the trigger then.

Now you'll get a 3rd maybe.

Plus it would've given your young guys more looks in a lost season.

Please don't take Crabtree.....

Red_BearSkins
02-08-2009, 09:54 PM

Where did you get that number? I've been trying to find a good site for o-line stats, like sacks allowed, penalties, etc...but am coming up with nothing so far.

Red_BearSkins
02-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Not a Rams fan, so I'm going to ask some questions.

Marc Bulger has been on a huge decline the past two years, throwing more Int's than TD's. His sack totals have been steady throughout his career at just under 40, and this was before Pace was even injury prone. With all the numbers dropping, is QB considered a need in St. Louis?

Lets say Pace has two years left, the Rams draft an OT, he replaces the underperforming Alex Barron. Would you prefer someone to eventually slide over to LT after Pace is gone, or someone who could be a pro-bowl RT and would hopefully help rejuvenate Steven Jackson to his old self?

holt_bruce81
02-08-2009, 10:26 PM
Where did you get that number? I've been trying to find a good site for o-line stats, like sacks allowed, penalties, etc...but am coming up with nothing so far.

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/players.asp

NGSeiler
02-08-2009, 11:23 PM
With all the numbers dropping, is QB considered a need in St. Louis?

Mid-round, sure. Finding a young guy they can groom would be nice, but with Bulger's contract, they can't afford to throw a lot of money at a top veteran or top pick. Plus, the Rams still feel like they can win with Bulger so they're not looking to replace him quite yet.

Would you prefer someone to eventually slide over to LT after Pace is gone, or someone who could be a pro-bowl RT and would hopefully help rejuvenate Steven Jackson to his old self?

If the Rams draft an OT in the first two rounds, it'd better be someone who can eventually replace Pace on the left side, IMO.

rockio42
02-09-2009, 11:18 AM
I think we NEED and WILL get rid of guys like Green, Glover, Wroten, Hall, and we MUST get rid of Chavous....

Which should free us up some cap space to get some new guys...

holt_bruce81
02-09-2009, 04:56 PM
I think we NEED and WILL get rid of guys like Green, Glover, Wroten, Hall, and we MUST get rid of Chavous....

Which should free us up some cap space to get some new guys...

James or Dante?

I disagree with you if it's James. Totally agree with you if it's Dante.

nfrillman
02-09-2009, 10:05 PM
Mid-round, sure. Finding a young guy they can groom would be nice, but with Bulger's contract, they can't afford to throw a lot of money at a top veteran or top pick. Plus, the Rams still feel like they can win with Bulger so they're not looking to replace him quite yet.

If the Rams draft an OT in the first two rounds, it'd better be someone who can eventually replace Pace on the left side, IMO.

That pretty much sums of the situation. Unless a QB completely blows the doors off the coaching staff, I don't see the Rams going QB before round 3. A first round QB would just be too much money in one position. I would also want a future LT at number 2 in the draft if they got OT. It just wouldn't make sense to not plan for Pace's departure, because it's not too far off no matter what.

holt_bruce81
02-10-2009, 12:30 AM
That pretty much sums of the situation. Unless a QB completely blows the doors off the coaching staff, I don't see the Rams going QB before round 3. A first round QB would just be too much money in one position. I would also want a future LT at number 2 in the draft if they got OT. It just wouldn't make sense to not plan for Pace's departure, because it's not too far off no matter what.

If some how, Rams fix a lot in Free agency and have a great 1st round pick....I'm not going to be mad at all if they take Josh Freeman.

But, I think they'll still have many needs come draft day so I'm with the other two guys who say "mid-round" is probably most likely.

nfrillman
02-10-2009, 06:39 PM
If some how, Rams fix a lot in Free agency and have a great 1st round pick....I'm not going to be mad at all if they take Josh Freeman.

But, I think they'll still have many needs come draft day so I'm with the other two guys who say "mid-round" is probably most likely.

I'm not really a Josh Freeman fan. He threw for 20 TDs, but only 9 in Big 12 play, only one multiple TD game with no picks in the Big 12 and that was against ISU. It seemed like every QB in the Big 12 shredded the defense in the conference, but Freeman couldn't.

rockio42
02-10-2009, 10:20 PM
James or Dante?

I disagree with you if it's James. Totally agree with you if it's Dante.

Dante...James showed some versatility and snagged 6 sacks playing both DE and DT

NGSeiler
02-10-2009, 11:12 PM
According to Randy Karraker...

Culled from various NFL sources...

Minnesota C Matt Birk. Appears to be their top FA priority...

Baltimore LB Bart Scott

NYJ DT C.J. Mosely

Seattle RB/FB Leonard Weaver

Don't know what they'll do to create cap room.

http://www.ramsrule.com/theoriginalherd/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=101&topic_id=146466&mesg_id=146466&page=

holt_bruce81
02-10-2009, 11:24 PM
I'm not really a Josh Freeman fan. He threw for 20 TDs, but only 9 in Big 12 play, only one multiple TD game with no picks in the Big 12 and that was against ISU. It seemed like every QB in the Big 12 shredded the defense in the conference, but Freeman couldn't.

I like his tools. I agree he didn't really light it up at K-State but he didn't really have anyone around him.

holt_bruce81
02-10-2009, 11:27 PM
According to Randy Karraker...

http://www.ramsrule.com/theoriginalherd/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=101&topic_id=146466&mesg_id=146466&page=

Those would be good signings. I would love for the Rams to get CJ Mosley, he's not going to come in and dominate, but he'd be a nice rotation guy and pretty much do what Glover did last year for 3 million less.

nfrillman
02-11-2009, 04:05 PM
Those would be good signings. I would love for the Rams to get CJ Mosley, he's not going to come in and dominate, but he'd be a nice rotation guy and pretty much do what Glover did last year for 3 million less.

I think its pretty obvious we are Missouri fans. I was just about to say that I wouldn't mind Mosley coming in, but mostly because of the MU ties. He played in high school at Waynesville, MO, close by where I'm at.

rockio42
02-12-2009, 09:44 AM
I don't know about Birk...I'd rather have a ruy like Duke Preston (C/G from the Bills) or Jason Brown (who will be more money but I'm willing to cut some other guys and put the money into it) but the idea of Mosley is great and I have been wanting Weaver for a very long time...eh on Bart Scott im a big Ravens fan but I hate his attitude

chapo123
02-12-2009, 11:40 PM
if draft were today
1. michael crabtree - wr
2. eben britton - ot
3. darius butler - cb
4. rashad jennings - rb
5. chip vaughn - s
6. cullen harper - qb
7. greg carr - wr

Menardo75
02-13-2009, 01:51 AM
if draft were today
1. michael crabtree - wr
2. eben britton - ot
3. darius butler - cb
4. rashad jennings - rb
5. chip vaughn - s
6. cullen harper - qb
7. greg carr - wr

Crabtree lol.

holt_bruce81
02-13-2009, 02:05 AM
Crabtree lol.

What?

If Rams fill a few needs via Free Agency......Michael Crabtree is a very realistic possibility.

Menardo75
02-13-2009, 02:11 AM
What?

If Rams fill a few needs via Free Agency......Michael Crabtree is a very realistic possibility.

I'm pretty sure you guys have bigger needs to fill than a WR.

holt_bruce81
02-13-2009, 03:47 AM

Ya but the Rams are talking about cutting or trading Torry Holt which would leave only Donnie Avery, Keenan Burton and Drew Bennett on the roster. Bennett is pretty much worthless......so Receiver, although not a top need is a need. And If the Rams feel like Crabtree is the best Available, why not?

chapo123
02-13-2009, 09:04 AM
Crabtree lol.

yea...all other wrs on the current roster have given me reason to be optimisitc of putting points up

rockio42
02-13-2009, 09:18 AM
Ok I must be the only guy in St. Louis who still wants Holt in St. Louis, he is still a great WR and needs another chance in an offense that isn't 90% of his passes being 3 yard slants...if anything dump Dante Hall and Bennett if you want to drop a WR or two...

I LOVEEEEE Crabtree but I don't know if we need him at #2...I would rather have a combo or Monroe/Curry and Nicks/Britt...

holt_bruce81
02-13-2009, 01:05 PM
Ok I must be the only guy in St. Louis who still wants Holt in St. Louis, he is still a great WR and needs another chance in an offense that isn't 90% of his passes being 3 yard slants...if anything dump Dante Hall and Bennett if you want to drop a WR or two...

I LOVEEEEE Crabtree but I don't know if we need him at #2...I would rather have a combo or Monroe/Curry and Nicks/Britt...

Belive me your not. He's my favorite player, has been since his rookie season.

In other news....

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/around-the-horns/around-the-horns/2009/02/stlouis-rams-cut-safety-corey-chavous/

The Rams began their roster-shaping and their salary cap drive Friday, releasing veteran strong safety Corey Chavous. Chavous, 33, came to St. Louis as a free agent with the arrival of coach Scott Linehan in 2006. He was a three-year starter, a defensive team captain last year, and one of the most respected players in the locker room.

It's about time!

Menardo75
02-13-2009, 01:08 PM
Ya but the Rams are talking about cutting or trading Torry Holt which would leave only Donnie Avery, Keenan Burton and Drew Bennett on the roster. Bennett is pretty much worthless......so Receiver, although not a top need is a need. And If the Rams feel like Crabtree is the best Available, why not?

Still though on a list of needs WR can't be higher than your other ones.

NGSeiler
02-13-2009, 04:24 PM

Not many, if the Rams part ways with Holt which is a very realistic possibility given his $10.2 million cap figure. That leaves two-year pro Donnie Avery as one starter and... who else? Drew Bennett? He's caught 34 passes in two years here, can't rely on him. Keenan Burton and Derek Stanley show potential but would have to make a HUGE jump to become starting caliber receivers. If Holt isn't back with the Rams in 2009, then St. Louis has a significant need for a starting WR opposite of Avery.

I'd love to see Holt stay in St. Louis, but the Rams can't retain him at a cap cost of $10.2 million. They just can't. So the question becomes, is he willing to take steps to reduce that number, either via pay cut or extension? His comments and attitude over the last two seasons suggest he may not be.

nfrillman
02-13-2009, 04:25 PM

It's not that we don't like Holt. He is one of the best Rams ever, but its simple economics. He is going to be a 10 million dollar cap hit and they can save 8 million if he is cut. They are right up on the cap right now, so if they want to do anything in FA they have to free up some cash. Pace and Holt are the only players that free up a substantial amount of money. Pace will free up 6 million and at this point Pace is more important than Holt.....though both may be gone.

nfrillman
02-13-2009, 04:33 PM
Still though on a list of needs WR can't be higher than your other ones.

Not sure what positions you think have more need than WR if Holt is released.

QB- Bulger is a multiple Pro-Bowler, but more importantly he has a big cap number and the Rams aren't going to tie that much cash into one position.
RB-S-Jax, 'nuff said
TE- At number 2 overall, umm no
OT- Definitely a possibility, but not because it's a bigger need right now
OG- Not at number 2
C- Ditto
DE- They have Little and Long, that's good enough for now
DT- Carriker and Ryan are good enough
OLB- Could use some help here, but they have some guys
MLB- Witherspoon has struggled here, so if he moves to OLB it is a need, otherwise 'spoon is the guy
CB- They could use a top CB, but who couldn't. Bartell is good
FS- If Atogwe is back they are set
SS- No one there right now, but no SS is going number 2

So basically OT, WR, and MLB are the biggest needs IMO.

rockio42
02-16-2009, 12:54 AM
well until Holt or someone is cu I'm just going to celebrate the cutting of Chavous...

holt_bruce81
02-16-2009, 02:54 AM
well until Holt or someone is cu I'm just going to celebrate the cutting of Chavous...

Oh, we all are my friend :)

rockio42
02-17-2009, 09:18 AM
Did anyone else hear about Devaney talking about possibly signing Garcia and Taylor....?

NGSeiler
02-17-2009, 02:51 PM
Did anyone else hear about Devaney talking about possibly signing Garcia and Taylor....?

Haven't heard anything regarding that..

nfrillman
02-17-2009, 03:37 PM

I don't mind the idea of picking up Garcia assuming he can be had for cheap. I am still a Bulger backer, but there is no denying he has struggled the last couple years. Bring in Garcia and have a QB competition, hopefully Bulger wins but if not so be it. As for Taylor, do you mean Fred Taylor? If so, I guess he'd be a nice guy to have, but it's not that big a deal if we have him or not. I'm also not so sure he'd be interested in going to the Rams since he's probably looking to win a Superbowl before hanging em up.

holt_bruce81
02-17-2009, 04:04 PM
Billy D. was interviewed on 1380 today, you can listen to the interview at anytime here......

http://www.stlsportsinsider.com/

I don't think the Devaney interview is posted yet but should be later tonight.

NGSeiler
02-17-2009, 10:08 PM
Billy D. was interviewed on 1380 today, you can listen to the interview at anytime here......

http://www.stlsportsinsider.com/

I don't think the Devaney interview is posted yet but should be later tonight.

I summarized and posted it at ClanRam. Here it is...

-Bernie says he changes his mind every other day on who the Rams should draft. Devaney agrees that there are a lot of ways they could go. He said it hasn’t come close to taking shape yet. One team picks ahead of them, and they’re not sure what the Lions will do, so there are a whole bunch of possibilities. The next 60+ days will be them going through process and putting together the pieces of puzzle. The combine is a step, not as big/important as people think it is, but it is a piece of the puzzle.

-The Rams Combine delegation will be 44 people, including scouts, coaches, interns, medical people, video people… says that’s about average for NFL teams.

-Devaney said that a % of guys, usually the high profile ones, for whatever reason won’t run 40s. Some of their reasons are valid but most are bogus (ie. out of shape, want to run on their own surface). He said it kind of annoys him but isn’t unexpected. The biggest thing they gain is medical information, because prospects get evaluated from top to bottom. Devaney said there will probably be 4-5 guys who almost flunk their physical because they have conditions they don’t know they were playing with that never caused them problems or weren’t tested; those problems will show up because they’re tested head to toe there.

-On Crabtree not running 40, Devaney says it doesn’t factor in, it’s a mild annoyance. Who knows if his ankle is still sore, but he says it is and that’s all you can go by. Figures everybody in the league will head to Texas to watch him at his pro day anyways. Devaney said if you’re fast, you don’t mind showing it and run at the combine. If you’re unsure, you might want to try to put yourself in ideal condition to run. He said he doesn’t make a big deal about the 40, because 90% of their evaluations come from the game tape. Devaney says Crabtree plays like a fast guy. So hypothetically if on tape he looks like a 4.4 guy and then he goes and runs a 4.55 forty, it’s not going to make “a hell of a lot of difference” according to him. The guy is still a tremendous football player. Kids stress out over 40 more than they should, it’s a small piece of Rams’ evaluation.

-Regarding offensive tackles, the other host says 3-4 of them are so good, how do you get separation between them? Devaney says the tapework will separate them. Are you sure one can play LT? If two can, and third can’t, that causes separation. Size-wise, are you worried about one being able to anchor? They’ll spend time with all of them in personal interviews, then will go for their personal workouts, talk to their coaches and other people who have touched them in their career. Then they take them out to dinner and bring them to St. Louis as well. They’ll spend a lot of time trying to get to know these guys. He says if it’s close, it might just come down a coach saying “I think this guy will do well in our locker room” or vice versa, “I’m just not sure about this guy, don’t think he’s the right fit.” He calls it the feeling that the coach, scout, head coach, and himself have about players.

-Bernie talks about character and how it matters in evaluation. Devaney says he met with coaches to go over college forms, but at the bottom of the form he emphasized to the new coaching staff that they’re looking for smart, passionate, productive players. Not going to deviate from that. As coaches talk to guys and watch them, look for smart and passionate guys. Productive can be seen on their tape. As they’re interviewing, these are the kind of guys they want to bring into the building. Smart guys means knowing what it takes to become NFL players on and off field, how to take notes in meeting, carry yourself off the field, etc. Not “slappies” who just show up and like paycheck w/o putting much into it.

-Bernie asks about free agency, says Rams have cap issues, are they getting closer to decisions? Devaney doesn’t think the cap situation is as bad as Benrie thinks. Whatever decision they make, they think they can make it just on football and not necessarily on cap neediness. Obviously salary is a consideration but usually it comes down to salary and production. And the Rams aren’t in bad enough cap shape to have to get rid of 3 guys to sign a couple, that’s not the case. But there are decisions that need to be made about some guys that have high cap numbers, and production wise whether it’s still a fit for the Rams.

-Bernie asks Devaney what his draft & free agency wish-list of priorities would be. Devaney says they haven’t zeroed in on anyone but want to get bigger on both lines as well as bigger as a team in general. He says he wants to address OL in free agency and the draft. Devaney says that if it winds up being a linebacker with the highest grade and there’s a significant difference between him and OL or WR, we can go that route. Or if it’s a receiver graded up there and there’s a gap between a lineman or defensive end, they’d take the receiver. But they’re not at that point and don’t have final grades on the prospects. He said they have them sorted into general area but grades will come after the combine and workouts. That will create separation for the pick.

-Devaney is hoping that new leadership and Spags’ reputation is enticing to free agents. Players where he came from loved playing for him, and that will be part of their selling point especially for defensive players – “Talk to so-and-so and see what it’s like playing for this guy in this scheme.” Devaney thinks that will be a selling point.

-One attribute to describe coaching staff – juice. High energy, younger staff. He said he’d even include Sylvester [Croom] in that description because he has a lot of energy.

-Bernie asks how Devaney and Kevin Demoff will work together. Devaney says it’s a great addition, and he can’t say on the cusp of free agency what a difference the agent community feels about dealing with the Rams and Kevin. Kevin is handling contract negotiations, keeps track of the cap, said he’s in with personnel meetings so they can tell him how to prioritize players (who are primary, secondary, etc), and he’ll try to get them signed. Spags and Devaney kind of work together on personnel with suggestions from coaches but at end of the day, Kevin will work business side and Devaney handles football operations part. It won’t be a situation where Devaney wants someone and Demoff vetoes it. If Devaney says it, it’s not just him but a consensus with coaches and pro scouts about who is the best guy. Demoff is a consummate team guy; if that’s the guy they want, he’ll go for it. Great, great set-up, not even close to the old “warring factions” attitude.

-Devaney’s initial opinions on Jeremy Maclin are that there’s no question he’s a guy that excites NFL teams. It surprises Devaney that there’s any discussion otherwise about this guy. He’s gonna be an impact guy. Devaney gets excited talking about Maclin as a return guy and a receiver. He’s going to be outstanding. Maclin can help himself at the combine in the sense that not everyone has been exposed to him. Missouri had so many good players senior-wise so a lot of people didn’t focus on Maclin in their early scouting. This is a chance for him to show for scouts. All eyes will be on him. He hasn’t been as thoroughly evaluated by NFL scouts, but Rams are very aware of him because of proximity.

-The other host asks for an example from the past of someone who helped himself at combine. Devaney talked about when Deion Sanders was coming out, and everyone knew who Primetime was and he showed tremendous speed on field. He bragged about how well he’d run. While his group was warming up, he had a hoodie on and was off by himself, headset on. Doing his own thing. Everyone said he wouldn’t run. The DBs lined up, they started running, Deion was still kind of listening to his headset. They called his name and he walked over, took his sweats off, touched the line and ran. Devaney said it might have been in the 4.19-4.2 range. He said Deion just kept running through the facility, through the hotel, got into his limo, and then flew back to Florida. It was the only thing he did at combine. He said he’d run under 4.3, he did it, then left. Funny story.

-Bernie asked him about Clayton’s report about the Rams’ interest in Vick. Devaney says they’re not allowed to talk about Vick because he’s still Falcons property. That’s the truth, he’s still on reserve list so they’re not able to talk about the guy.

holt_bruce81
02-18-2009, 09:52 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/18/contract-talks-result-in-franchise-tag-for-rams-atogwe/

After contract talks failed to produce a deal, the St. Louis Rams designated safety Oshiomogho Atogwe as their franchise player. The safety franchise number for Atogwe is $6.342 million.

Great news, now lets sign Bartell!!

Menardo75
02-18-2009, 11:35 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/18/contract-talks-result-in-franchise-tag-for-rams-atogwe/

Great news, now lets sign Bartell!!

That is not great news :(

rockio42
02-19-2009, 02:09 PM
This is great...but I don't think OJ is as good as some think, he is extremely selfish but I love his playing...

nfrillman
02-19-2009, 10:45 PM
This is great...but I don't think OJ is as good as some think, he is extremely selfish but I love his playing...

I'm not sure why you would think he is selfish. It's kind of the safety's job to be a ball hawk, at least the good ones. Sure he may guess wrong a few times, but everyone does. It also doesn't help when you have Chavous getting roasted constantly alongside him.

rockio42
02-19-2009, 10:50 PM
I'm not sure why you would think he is selfish. It's kind of the safety's job to be a ball hawk, at least the good ones. Sure he may guess wrong a few times, but everyone does. It also doesn't help when you have Chavous getting roasted constantly alongside him.

Its not that, I don't mind the whole him getting burned every once in a while if hes jumping the ball but if you watch some of the INTs he is pointing to himself and that comes off to me as kind of selfish...

holt_bruce81
02-20-2009, 02:53 AM
Its not that, I don't mind the whole him getting burned every once in a while if hes jumping the ball but if you watch some of the INTs he is pointing to himself and that comes off to me as kind of selfish...

Everyone in the NFL does that. What do you want him to do? point to the Quarterback?

rockio42
02-20-2009, 07:32 AM
Everyone in the NFL does that. What do you want him to do? point to the Quarterback?

just run with it...don't show off and try to get as good as field position as possible

nfrillman
02-20-2009, 05:28 PM

God that would be funny though. Point at the QB, but not in a threatening warning way. Instead point at him like he is the man or something. It'd be a bit douchey, but I'd enjoy it once.

NGSeiler
02-22-2009, 01:10 AM
So right now, I think the Rams' pick comes down to Jason Smith, Eugene Monroe, or Aaron Curry.

I think Smith and Monroe are really neck and neck for that first tackle spot; both had good showings at the combine and look like they could lock down the left tackle position for the next decade. Smith really opened some eyes with his 33 reps on the bench, mine included. I love his attitude and potential, but I think he's more of a work in progress than Monroe is.

IMO, Monroe is the guy you draft if you trade or cut Pace because he can step in immediately and contribute at a high level. If you keep Orlando, then you start looking at Jason Smith because that affords you the time it would take to really work on his technique and get him used to blocking out of a three-point stance.

Then you've got Curry, who is just a beast. Nearly 6'2" and 254 pounds of pure athlete. He's the kind of player that can really be the face of your defense for years to come. The question still remains though, can a team afford to spend that much money on a linebacker? It's not one of those high paying positions so it may still be tough for a team to pull the trigger there.

To me, any of these three guys would be just outstanding picks for the Rams.

nfrillman
02-22-2009, 01:47 AM
So right now, I think the Rams' pick comes down to Jason Smith, Eugene Monroe, or Aaron Curry.

I think Smith and Monroe are really neck and neck for that first tackle spot; both had good showings at the combine and look like they could lock down the left tackle position for the next decade. Smith really opened some eyes with his 33 reps on the bench, mine included. I love his attitude and potential, but I think he's more of a work in progress than Monroe is.

IMO, Monroe is the guy you draft if you trade or cut Pace because he can step in immediately and contribute at a high level. If you keep Orlando, then you start looking at Jason Smith because that affords you the time it would take to really work on his technique and get him used to blocking out of a three-point stance.

Then you've got Curry, who is just a beast. Nearly 6'2" and 254 pounds of pure athlete. He's the kind of player that can really be the face of your defense for years to come. The question still remains though, can a team afford to spend that much money on a linebacker? It's not one of those high paying positions so it may still be tough for a team to pull the trigger there.

To me, any of these three guys would be just outstanding picks for the Rams.

I'd have to pretty much agree with that assessment. Andre Smith has taken himself out of the equation in my opinion. Everyone seems to be thinking Witherspoon will be moved outside, which I would love. If that happens I think Curry makes a lot of sense. There are several solid OT prospects this year. The Rams could potentially wait until the 2nd round and still get a pretty high end OT. They could also trade back up into the 1st if there is a run on OT. The depth at MLB just isn't there.

holt_bruce81
02-22-2009, 02:17 PM
1A. Jason Smith
1B. Aaron Curry

Everyone Agree?

freebirdsrams02
02-22-2009, 03:05 PM
1A. Jason Smith
1B. Aaron Curry

Everyone Agree?

i agree as well, but what about a trade and stay in the top 5 and maybe get another 2nd round pick and then either using both 2nd round picks or trading back into the 1st round and getting the opposite of what ever they take with thier first pick.

holt_bruce81
02-22-2009, 04:38 PM
i agree as well, but what about a trade and stay in the top 5 and maybe get another 2nd round pick and then either using both 2nd round picks or trading back into the 1st round and getting the opposite of what ever they take with thier first pick.

Easier said than done.

chris00cm
02-22-2009, 09:15 PM
Easier said than done.

Thats what I was going to say.

Of course it would be ideal for us the trade back 2 or 3 picks to pick up a 2nd and work from there but you gotta remember a top 5 team is also a struggling team. I doubt a team in the top 5 trades a 2nd and change to move up 1 or 2 picks when they probably also have alot of other needs to fill later in the draft.

NGSeiler
02-22-2009, 11:13 PM
1A. Jason Smith
1B. Aaron Curry

Everyone Agree?

Add Eugene Monroe and I would.

Unlikely.

rockio42
02-23-2009, 08:04 AM
I have been talking up Jason Smith for months and even got bashed for having the Rams take him in the Forum Mock I ran...I then got bashed for taking Aaron Curry at #2 the next Forum Mock, so Curry and J. Smith have been my favorite for the past couple months so I'm happy to see him being talked about at #2

holt_bruce81
02-23-2009, 10:22 PM
Ok, Not going to lie....but I've developed a little bit of a man crush on Brian Robiskie. I think our 2nd round pick is a bit to high for him but if he's there in the 3rd, Rams should be all over him.

rockio42
02-24-2009, 08:01 AM
Ok, Not going to lie....but I've developed a little bit of a man crush on Brian Robiskie. I think our 2nd round pick is a bit to high for him but if he's there in the 3rd, Rams should be all over him.

That conflicts with my man-crush on Hakeem Nicks in the 2nd...

On a side-note...with all the recent franchise tags who do you want to sign/re-sign in free agency??

NGSeiler
02-24-2009, 09:22 AM
On a side-note...with all the recent franchise tags who do you want to sign/re-sign in free agency??

LB: The Rams have to do something at LB in free agency. Bart Scott would be intriguing; I'm also kind of curious about Andra Davis. But even if the Rams view Curry as the front runner for their pick, they can't afford to do nothing at the position in free agency because anything could happen on draft day. Maybe Detroit, who is looking for a safe pick and certainly has defensive needs, takes Curry ahead of the Rams. Maybe someone trades up for him. I just have a feeling that if the Rams purposely don't do something at LB, thinking they can just get Curry, then something will happen and they'll be SOL.

DB: I'd like to see them work out something with Bartell for the long term, but they came to the table too late on this one and I'm not sure it gets done. If they can't resign Bartell, then they're going to have to push hard for another DB on the market IMO. As for our strong safety spot, I'd put money on the Rams coming out of free agency with either Gibril Wilson or James Butler. Both have played under Spags and we have a huge hole at strong safety. I think the stars are aligned for one of the two fitting here.

OL: A free agent center would be nice. Jason Brown may be out of our price range, but hopefully we at least make the call. Guys like Birk or Saturday are older stop-gaps who, IMO, can still play and could be good short term options. There aren't many good options for free agent left tackles, so I really think if we're looking for someone to replace Pace, it's going to have to be in the draft. If you look at other starting LTs in the league, it suggests we're going to have to find our guy in the first or second round. I'm not very optimistic about the quality of tackle that will be available at the top of round two, because I think we'll probably see six OTs taken in round one. If we don't spend our first round pick on a tackle, we may have to trade up to get one we like.

holt_bruce81
02-24-2009, 07:07 PM
Don't know if any of you read it but...

Jim Thomas Q&A session, some great info...

http://www.stltoday.com/discussions/sports/jim-thomas-live/LD022009675/all

NGSeiler
02-25-2009, 03:58 PM
The Rams have officially cut QB Trent Green and WR Drew Bennett.

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/around-the-horns/around-the-horns/2009/02/st-louis-rams-release-qb-green-and-wr-bennett/

nfrillman
02-25-2009, 04:26 PM
The Rams have officially cut QB Trent Green and WR Drew Bennett.

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/around-the-horns/around-the-horns/2009/02/st-louis-rams-release-qb-green-and-wr-bennett/

Well that certainly is interesting. I must admit the Bennett releasing surprises me. He certainly has been a disappointment, but I just figured that with the WR spot a bit thin and the inconsequential amount of cap space it would save that Bennett would be back. No skin off my back though, if Spags doesn't want Bennett and crapiness rubbing off on Avery and Burton then so be it.

holt_bruce81
02-25-2009, 07:20 PM
Does the Bennett cut mean the possibility of the Rams keeping Holt has increased? Aren't there currently only 3 Receivers signed for next year?

nfrillman
02-25-2009, 08:52 PM
Does the Bennett cut mean the possibility of the Rams keeping Holt has increased? Aren't there currently only 3 Receivers signed for next year?

I was thinking the same thing. If Holt were to be released the Rams would have Avery, Burton, Looker, and Stanley who even dressed on a gameday last season. I don't know much about Stanley, but I think it's pretty safe to say that he projects as nothing more than a depth WR. Avery and Burton have some good upside IMO, but I don't know if Spags would feel comfortable with that young and inexperienced of a corp.

NGSeiler
02-25-2009, 11:58 PM
Does the Bennett cut mean the possibility of the Rams keeping Holt has increased?

Perhaps a bit, but I think the Holt situation depends more on whether or not the Rams want to absorb his $10.2 million cap figure than it does Bennett's release.

Yes, cutting Drew gives the Rams one less receiver in 2009, but he hasn't done much with this team so far, so how much could they really be counting on him in the future? The Rams will probably add a cheap veteran receiver in free agency that they feel fits their scheme, and could have a couple of options at the top of round two (Nicks, Britt) if they want to go that way.

If anything, I would think the league-wide $4 million cap increase has a bigger effect on keeping Holt or Pace than Bennett's cutting would. But ultimately I think these decisions still come down to how the Rams feel about those cap numbers.

steelersfan43
02-26-2009, 02:00 AM
How did chris long look last year?

holt_bruce81
02-26-2009, 01:21 PM
How did chris long look last year?

He looked pretty dang good for a rookie. His 16 or 17 QB Hurries last year makes many people believe he's going to have a breakout year next season.

holt_bruce81
02-26-2009, 08:28 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/02/breaking-rams-to-join-race-for-brown/

The National Football Post has learned that the St. Louis Rams could join the Miami Dolphins and Kansas City Chiefs as potential suitors for center Jason Brown when free agency opens at midnight eastern tonight. It’s possible the Rams could be leaders in the Brown sweepstakes, according to sources.

Would fill a big need. There have also been rumors that the Rams could be interested in Nate Washington.

holt_bruce81
02-27-2009, 12:02 AM
Bart Scott and Jason Brown visiting St. Louis tomorrow.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9...ee-agency-blog

12:44 a.m. — Rams raiding Ravnes for free agents
The St. Louis Rams may be raiding the Baltimore Ravens for two key free agents.

Linebacker Bart Scott and center Jason Brown are set to visit with the Rams, FOXSports.com has learned.

holt_bruce81
02-27-2009, 02:14 AM
James Butler visiting the Rams also...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...y/?eref=sircrc

St. Louis, while trying gamely to persuade cornerback Ron Bartell to stay for approximately $6 million a year, was prepared to lose him if a team was willing to offer more. In the meantime, coach Steve Spagnuolo is set to host his former strong safety with the Giants, James Butler, on a Friday visit, along with a rising star of this free-agency crop -- 25-year-old center Jason Brown, formerly of the Ravens.

freebirdsrams02
02-27-2009, 01:08 PM
This line would be big and nasty if we can get both Brown and Smith.

LT - Orlando Pace 6'7 325
LG - Jacob Bell 6'4 295
C - Jason Brown
RG - Richie Incognito 6'3 318
RT - Jason Smith 6'5 305

holt_bruce81
02-27-2009, 02:38 PM

LG - Jacob Bell 6'4 295
C - Jason Brown
RT - Jason Smith 6'5 305

I think if we draft Smith, he's playing LT. Which means Pace won't be with the team.

NGSeiler
02-27-2009, 08:36 PM
Rams and Jason Brown have agreed to terms on a five-year deal!

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/around-the-horns/around-the-horns/2009/02/brown-agrees-to-terms-with-st-louis-rams/

PossumBoy9
02-27-2009, 08:51 PM
Rams and Jason Brown have agreed to terms on a five-year deal!

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/around-the-horns/around-the-horns/2009/02/brown-agrees-to-terms-with-st-louis-rams/

I didn't see this coming a couple weeks ago.

Now let's close Bartell. I'm sure Butler is a done deal.

holt_bruce81
02-27-2009, 10:58 PM
Will Brown play Center or Guard for the Rams?

NGSeiler
02-27-2009, 11:52 PM
Will Brown play Center or Guard for the Rams?

I would assume center.

holt_bruce81
02-28-2009, 10:44 PM
So, now that James Butler has left town without a contract, who do you want the Rams to get to be their Strong Safety?

Sean Jones? Jermaine Phillips? Someone in the Draft?

I personally want William Moore or Patrick Chung.

NGSeiler
03-01-2009, 09:54 AM
Butler leaving without a contract isn't great, but doesn't mean he's completely out of the picture either. Given that his agents are the Postons though, I don't like his chances of signing with us.

I like both Jones and Phillips, and I haven't heard anything about either one of them really getting much attention in free agency. I believe in a recent Jim Thomas chat he said the Rams liked Chung, so he may be a draft option.

holt_bruce81
03-01-2009, 04:02 PM
The Rams pretty much have had interest at every position that's a need besides Linebacker so far in Free Agency....makes you wonder who they're targeting in the draft :)

rockio42
03-01-2009, 07:29 PM

LG - Jacob Bell 6'4 295
C - Jason Brown
RT - Jason Smith 6'5 305

Like someone said if we draft Smith, Pace won't be here

Which makes me wonder...which one do you guys want?

LT - Orlando Pace
LG - Jacob Bell
C - Jason Brown
RG - Richie Incognito
RT - John Greco

or

LT - Jason Smith
LG - Jacob Bell
C - Jason brown
RG - Richie Incognito
RT - John Greco

holt_bruce81
03-01-2009, 07:34 PM
I don't know if Greco can play Tackle. And listening to 101.1 espn in St. Louis "The Fastlane" All 3 hosts were confident that Richie Incognito would not be a part of the Rams in 2009.

NGSeiler
03-01-2009, 10:00 PM
The Rams pretty much have had interest at every position that's a need besides Linebacker so far in Free Agency....makes you wonder who they're targeting in the draft :)

I don't believe they entertained any offensive tackles in free agency, either. ;)

Plus, there was talk that Bart Scott was going to visit St. Louis, though he ultimately did not and signed with the Jets.

I think right now the Rams' priorities are just trying to get Bartell inked long term and trying to get something worked out with Butler.

Which makes me wonder...which one do you guys want?

I think it'll be...

LT: Pace/Smith/Monroe
LG: Bell
C: Brown
RG: Greco
RT: Barron (for the last year of his contract)

rockio42
03-02-2009, 07:56 AM
oh ya...Alex Barron...I forgot about him on ah "accident"...I hope we don't dump Pace and go ahead and draft Aaron Curry and then take a LT in the 3rd, but that depends on if we sign Butler (or any SS) or if we get Bartell, espcially with the signing of Brown I am still not wavering from mocking the Rams with Aaron Curry and then Hakeem Nicks

NGSeiler
03-02-2009, 09:51 AM
I hope we don't dump Pace and go ahead and draft Aaron Curry and then take a LT in the 3rd

If you look around the rest of the league, around 80% of the league's starting left tackles come from the first two rounds of the draft, 40% from the top fifteen picks in the first round.

Yeah, the Rams could wait until the third to pick up an OT, but considering where the vast majority of starting left tackles around the league are coming from, I think that's going to be a pretty big uphill battle for that third round pick.

As much as I like Curry, I think it's going to be hard for the Rams to pass on an OT there, as long as the grades are similar. I think it'll be easier for this team to find an effective MLB later in the draft or in free agency than it would be to find someone who will be effective as Pace's eventual replacement.

rockio42
03-02-2009, 10:02 AM
See I love Curry so much that if hes there I just don't wan't to pass on him..sure is a combo of J. Smith, Nicks, and like McRath better than Curry, Nicks, and Beatty...maybe but I like the second combo so much better

NGSeiler
03-02-2009, 10:17 AM
See I love Curry so much that if hes there I just don't wan't to pass on him..sure is a combo of J. Smith, Nicks, and like McRath better than Curry, Nicks, and Beatty...maybe but I like the second combo so much better

Well, personal preference is one thing, but you also have to be realistic as well. As in, we're not getting Beatty in the third round, if that's what your trio suggested. He's likely a late first rounder at this point, IMO.

rockio42
03-02-2009, 12:10 PM
Well, personal preference is one thing, but you also have to be realistic as well. As in, we're not getting Beatty in the third round, if that's what your trio suggested. He's likely a late first rounder at this point, IMO.

Ya, I wasn't even thinking about that, I just threw a name out there...it would probably be more like a Cornelius Lewis type guy

on a side note...Beatty shouldn't be in the 1st round...no punch

rockio42
03-02-2009, 01:22 PM
Me and Hawkeye have mentioned this is the free agency thread in the NFL section...but where the HELL are Gerald Sensabaugh and Sean Jones??

NGSeiler
03-02-2009, 03:34 PM
Rams, Bartell have reached an agreement...

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/around-the-horns/around-the-horns/2009/03/st-louis-rams-agree-to-terms-with-bartell/

freebirdsrams02
03-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Rams, Bartell have reached an agreement...

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/around-the-horns/around-the-horns/2009/03/st-louis-rams-agree-to-terms-with-bartell/

Perfect, now we need to get Butler.

holt_bruce81
03-02-2009, 06:31 PM
Nice to hear Bartell is recruiting Butler. I hear he's close to signing with the Rams.

As for the draft. I would love if the Rams kept Pace. He's making 6 million next season. For a guy that only allowed 2 sacks last year, 6 million is pretty damn good. Aaron Curry and Hakeem Nicks or Brian Robiskee have become my Day one dream draft.

freebirdsrams02
03-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Nice to hear Bartell is recruiting Butler. I hear he's close to signing with the Rams.

As for the draft. I would love if the Rams kept Pace. He's making 6 million next season. For a guy that only allowed 2 sacks last year, 6 million is pretty damn good. Aaron Curry and Hakeem Nicks or Brian Robiskee have become my Day one dream draft.

If the Rams do take Curry with our first pick and a WR with our 2nd. I think that would be great to, but with Avery and Burton from last year and a #2 this year does anyone think the Rams would use Holt as Trade bait for draft picks? I know we got rid of Drew Bennett, but he never really did anything anyways. We still have Looker and Stanley, so why not get something for Holt. Just a thought. I like Hicks better than Robiske if I was to choose.

NGSeiler
03-02-2009, 09:17 PM
If the Rams do take Curry with our first pick and a WR with our 2nd. I think that would be great to, but with Avery and Burton from last year and a #2 this year does anyone think the Rams would use Holt as Trade bait for draft picks?

They already are and have been for a while. Reports about Holt on the trade block date back to the Senior Bowl.

holt_bruce81
03-02-2009, 10:27 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=394

The Raiders are reportedly interested in Rams LT Orlando Pace.
The Rams are all ears. Acquiring Pace would allow the Raiders to move incumbent LT Mario Henderson to right tackle, where he'd likely fit better

PossumBoy9
03-02-2009, 10:33 PM
oh ya...Alex Barron...I forgot about him on ah "accident"...I hope we don't dump Pace and go ahead and draft Aaron Curry and then take a LT in the 3rd, but that depends on if we sign Butler (or any SS) or if we get Bartell, espcially with the signing of Brown I am still not wavering from mocking the Rams with Aaron Curry and then Hakeem Nicks

I don't think Nicks will be there at #35.

freebirdsrams02
03-03-2009, 09:50 AM
If the Rams do take Curry with our first pick and a WR with our 2nd. I think that would be great to, but with Avery and Burton from last year and a #2 this year does anyone think the Rams would use Holt as Trade bait for draft picks? I know we got rid of Drew Bennett, but he never really did anything anyways. We still have Looker and Stanley, so why not get something for Holt. Just a thought. I like Hicks better than Robiske if I was to choose.

They already are and have been for a while. Reports about Holt on the trade block date back to the Senior Bowl.

I understand that and I saw the posts, but what are they asking and what is he worth and what is Pace worth. If the teams are interested in them are we giving them away for late picks or maybe a late first day or early second day pick.

rockio42
03-03-2009, 09:51 AM
I don't think Nicks will be there at #35.

A man can dream can't he?? If any of the type couple of guys (DHB, Britt, or Nicks) are there then I will be happy

NGSeiler
03-03-2009, 10:19 AM
I understand that and I saw the posts, but what are they asking and what is he worth and what is Pace worth. If the teams are interested in them are we giving them away for late picks or maybe a late first day or early second day pick.

None of the reports have speculated about what the asking price is, but I'd probably guess mid to late round picks. Pace's value is likely higher than Holt's at this point.

freebirdsrams02
03-03-2009, 10:56 AM
None of the reports have speculated about what the asking price is, but I'd probably guess mid to late round picks. Pace's value is likely higher than Holt's at this point.

What cap space would Holt and Pace free up for the Rams?

holt_bruce81
03-03-2009, 11:14 AM
What cap space would Holt and Pace free up for the Rams?

14 million

nfrillman
03-03-2009, 04:35 PM
Bringing back Bartell is huge. As of right now it seems to me that Butler has a pretty good chance of being our SS. Anything could happen with Holt and Pace, but Pace is more important to keep. If they keep Pace, drafting Curry becomes and option. If Pace is gone that basically handcuffs the draft, they'd have to take an OT at #2.

NGSeiler
03-04-2009, 12:14 AM
Bringing back Bartell is huge. As of right now it seems to me that Butler has a pretty good chance of being our SS. Anything could happen with Holt and Pace, but Pace is more important to keep. If they keep Pace, drafting Curry becomes and option. If Pace is gone that basically handcuffs the draft, they'd have to take an OT at #2.

I think that basically sums it up. The selection is wide open if Pace is still on the roster. If he's moved, the Rams almost have to go OT.

NGSeiler
03-05-2009, 09:13 AM
Torry Holt has asked for his release...

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/rams/story/B858000FF9F09991862575700013B8CE?OpenDocument

rockio42
03-05-2009, 09:37 AM
Torry Holt has asked for his release...

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/rams/story/B858000FF9F09991862575700013B8CE?OpenDocument

damnit...until its clear that we needed the cap room I didn't want to release him...

tfry
03-05-2009, 10:29 AM
Personally I'd like to see the Rams go:

Round 1 - OT
Round 2 - Either WR or DB. Just depends on who falls.
Round 3 - The opposite of round 2 or a DE.

I love Curry and think he would be a huge addition, but I think we have a better chance to win with an OT than a stud Linebacker.

freebirdsrams02
03-05-2009, 10:55 AM
I just saw that Roy Willimas got released. Does anyone think the Rams would go after him? We need a SS and he is now out there.

rockio42
03-05-2009, 10:56 AM
I just saw that Roy Willimas got released. Does anyone think the Rams would go after him? We need a SS and he is now out there.

NOOO...I want a SS who can cover

NGSeiler
03-05-2009, 03:06 PM
Personally I'd like to see the Rams go:

Round 1 - OT
Round 2 - Either WR or DB. Just depends on who falls.
Round 3 - The opposite of round 2 or a DE.

I love Curry and think he would be a huge addition, but I think we have a better chance to win with an OT than a stud Linebacker.

I'm feelin' ya. Really, I think the Rams would be okay if they found a capable two-down MLB. I don't think Spags needs an elite talent there.

No way, I'd rather wait and eventually get Butler.

nfrillman
03-05-2009, 07:09 PM
NOOO...I want a SS who can cover

Not interested in the least. That's me, not sure about the Rams but I doubt they are interested. Despite the ratings Roy Williams gets on Madden and his Pro-Bowl totals, he isn't good. IMO he is basically what Adam Archuleta was for the Rams. He is more of a smallish LB than a true SS. I agree with NGSeiler, waiting to see what happens with this Butler situation is a better idea. There is also always the draft. William Moore could very will be available with the Rams 2nd round pick. I know I'm a Missouri fan, but getting him in the 2nd round would be pretty good value if he is there.

roscoesdad27
03-06-2009, 01:40 PM
1) A. Smith l.t. alabama
best run blocking o.t. that I have ever seen coming out of college and has much longer arms than most expected..franchise left tackle.

2) P. Chung s.s. oregon
tremendous tackler and superb in run run support...chung also has the speed and fluidity to have great range in coverage...fills a huge need at great value here.

3) S. McKilop mlb pitt
extremely productive tackling machine had a very good combine and will quetly lead your team in tackles every year.

complete mock here
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1533596&posted=1#post1533596

thoughts?

NGSeiler
03-06-2009, 03:46 PM
Not a fan. I have no interest in Andre Smith in the first round; he's certainly no longer considered the best LT in this draft. Monroe or Jason Smith would be much better there if the Rams are going LT.

Second round is fine if they don't sign a free agent safety. Butler from the Giants is still a possibility, but if he doesn't sign, I've heard the Rams like what they see in Chung.

Top of the third round is too early for McKillop, methinks. He's a blue collar guy but I don't know if he's strong or athletic enough to be a big factor at the next level. He'd be a better option a round later, IMO.

Just my $0.02.

nfrillman
03-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Andre Smith isn't going at number 2. His head isn't screwed on straight right now and there are too many other OT's available for the Rams to risk him. I also think the Rams are going to get Butler. If they get Butler 3 of the 4 starting secondary positions are set for the foreseeable future (I still think Hill could do something). If Butler is signed I could see them going WR, DT, MLB, or CB in the 2nd. It's looking more and more likely that Holt is gone. That leaves four guys who dressed at all last season, and Looker and Stanley are nothing more than depth guys. There are currently only three DT's on the roster with considerable playing time. One of those guys is Wroten, so they need some depth for rotational purposes there. MLB is all the rave right now with Curry. Obviously he won't be available, but I would certainly like to see someone push Witherspoon to the outside which is his ideal position. As for CB, it kind of depends on what the new staff sees in Hill, Wade, and King as to whether they want someone else.

NGSeiler
03-06-2009, 05:09 PM
Just a head's up, Scott is going to be guest starring in a draft chat at the ClanRam tomorrow night at 8pm. The chat will be heavily Ram-focused, so come join us and talk Rams football!

http://www.clanram.com/forums/f85/march-7th-8pm-clanram-draft-chat-w-special-guest-scott-wright-35100/

BAgee87
03-07-2009, 08:52 PM
Not interested in the least. That's me, not sure about the Rams but I doubt they are interested. Despite the ratings Roy Williams gets on Madden and his Pro-Bowl totals, he isn't good. IMO he is basically what Adam Archuleta was for the Rams. He is more of a smallish LB than a true SS. I agree with NGSeiler, waiting to see what happens with this Butler situation is a better idea. There is also always the draft. William Moore could very will be available with the Rams 2nd round pick. I know I'm a Missouri fan, but getting him in the 2nd round would be pretty good value if he is there.

Ageed you cant pass William Moore up if he is availible the guy models him self after Brian Dawkins.. he moves like a DB and hits like a LB he has 4.4 speed i like him AAALLLOTTT and with spags as our coach i think he could only get better!! Prolly my most favorite safety in the draft!!

rockio42
03-07-2009, 10:16 PM

I was saying that I don't want Roy Williams in a million years...

nfrillman
03-07-2009, 10:51 PM
I was saying that I don't want Roy Williams in a million years...

Yeah I know, I quoted the wrong thing and then just didn't feel like changing it.

holt_bruce81
03-09-2009, 03:31 PM
http://www.fantasyplayers.com/nfl/HotOffTheWireStory.asp?NOTE_ID=558537

The St. Louis Rams will meet with free-agent FB Mike Karney (Saints) Tuesday, March 10.

Get him signed!

rockio42
03-09-2009, 04:39 PM

Get him signed!

what the FFFFF...where the **** is Leonard Weaver?? I don't know if I like Karney...

NGSeiler
03-09-2009, 09:05 PM

Get him signed!

I agree, I remember really liking Karney when he came out but the Rams missed out on him by a few picks in the fifth round. I'd love to add him as a lead blocker in front of SJ.

NGSeiler
03-09-2009, 09:06 PM
Denver local news is reporting SS James Butler has signed with the Rams...

http://www.kdvr.com/sports/kdvr-james-butler-030909,0,4680571.story

holt_bruce81
03-09-2009, 11:10 PM
Denver local news is reporting SS James Butler has signed with the Rams...

http://www.kdvr.com/sports/kdvr-james-butler-030909,0,4680571.story

Yes sir! Very good signing. I've heard mixed reviews on him from Giants fans but hey, anythings better than the garbage we had at that spot last season.

tfry
03-10-2009, 02:44 PM
Two things....

1.) Brown's contract was denied by the NFL. Sounds like the Rams are quickly working to get it reworked. Hopefully we don't lose him!

2.) Holt and Pace have both been uninvited from offseason workouts. Any trade leverage we had is now gone. It's a shame we can't rework their contracts to get some more cap room. I'd love to see us retain Pace and squeeze a little production out of him. As for Holt, he is done. He obviously wants out of St. Louis and still thinks he has something left. I don't view him as anything more than a #3 at this point, but it would be nice to have him for depth anyways.

freebirdsrams02
03-10-2009, 03:45 PM
Two things....

1.) Brown's contract was denied by the NFL. Sounds like the Rams are quickly working to get it reworked. Hopefully we don't lose him!

2.) Holt and Pace have both been uninvited from offseason workouts. Any trade leverage we had is now gone. It's a shame we can't rework their contracts to get some more cap room. I'd love to see us retain Pace and squeeze a little production out of him. As for Holt, he is done. He obviously wants out of St. Louis and still thinks he has something left. I don't view him as anything more than a #3 at this point, but it would be nice to have him for depth anyways.

I saw rumors that the Giants were interested in Holt, anyone already hear this?

nfrillman
03-10-2009, 03:54 PM
I saw rumors that the Giants were interested in Holt, anyone already hear this?

I heard talk about the Jets being interested a couple days ago. I don't know anything new about it though. My best guess is that both will simply be released. The Rams have thrown around some serious cash in FA and have to have enough money to sign rookies and fill in FA's. We also can't forget that the #2 pick will be a big hit on the cap.

tfry
03-10-2009, 04:03 PM
Rams just released Pace. Holt is likely to be cut in the next week since his roster bonus is due March 17th.

Pace was such a stud. It's tough to see him go.

nfrillman
03-10-2009, 04:06 PM
Pace has been released. It's the end of a great run, I'll have nothing but good memories of his Rams days.

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/around-the-horns/around-the-horns/2009/03/orlando-pace-released-by-st-louis-rams/

On a related note, with the second overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft the St. Louis Rams select offensive tackle __________.

Update- Apparently Barron has been moved to LT and Bell and Goldberg will get a look at RT.

holt_bruce81
03-10-2009, 07:26 PM
Hello....Eugene Monroe or Jason Smith.

NGSeiler
03-10-2009, 08:56 PM
Update- Apparently Barron has been moved to LT and Bell and Goldberg will get a look at RT.

Can't say I'm especially optimistic about that.

nfrillman
03-10-2009, 10:13 PM
Can't say I'm especially optimistic about that.

Yeah, I was kind of thinking the same thing. I have a bit more faith in Barron than most, but not a whole lot. As for Bell, I think that might be a good thing, because he was horrible last year at RG and he has the body type to play OT. Then again, this could all very well be a smoke screen trying to make it look like we don't have to take an OT in the first.

Trolfes
03-10-2009, 10:18 PM
Maybe Barron can hear out of his right ear. I guess the coaches will see if he can play on the left side and we could go in another direction (Curry) with the pick. Barron is better suited for the left and maybe this is just what he needed to show his talent

rockio42
03-10-2009, 11:05 PM
I love Jason Smith but I wanted Aaron Curry sooooo bad...but ya I heard on the radio that Jacob Bell is going to be moving to OT but Greco also makes sense at RT so idk what they are going to do, it'll be interesting to see what they are doing

but I'm so sad to see Pace go...I remember in 06 (ironic that we went 8-8 that year) when he got hurt screaming ****!!!! at the top of my lungs because I thought the season was screwed...I loved him and Holt...sad offseason in St. Louis (but also at the same time very good)

NGSeiler
03-11-2009, 12:00 AM
At this point, I'm still leaning Eugene Monroe. He's the more NFL ready of the two tackles, a more polished product IMO, and I wonder about Jason Smith's lower body strength.

His combine testing made me question it a bit (not exactly great vert. or broad numbers) and I heard one report from his pro day that seemed to question his lower body strength as well. He does have the better upside, but I still wonder whether or not he'll be that elite level left tackle if he ends up outside of a ZBS. Especially for the Rams if the offensive focus is going to be a heavy dose of Steven Jackson.

Anyways, ESPN is reporting the Rams have signed FB Mike Karney. Really like the signing!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3969158&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

holt_bruce81
03-11-2009, 04:48 AM
Yeah the Karney signing is a great great signing. And I to am leading more toward Eugene Monroe now. Even though Aaron Curry is still the #1 guy on my board, I don't think he is on the Rams board.

tfry
03-11-2009, 09:17 AM
Just a thought, but what happens if Matt Stafford is available in the draft? We do have a need at QB and if we improve this year, we may be out of position to draft a QB next season. Thoughts???

diabsoule
03-11-2009, 10:51 AM
I think the Mike Karney signing is great. I loved him in N.O. and he'll be a great lead blocker for Stephen Jackson.

holt_bruce81
03-11-2009, 02:51 PM
Just a thought, but what happens if Matt Stafford is available in the draft? We do have a need at QB and if we improve this year, we may be out of position to draft a QB next season. Thoughts???

Rams can't afford to have that much money tied up in the Quarterback position. Bulger is due I believe around 18 million in the next 2 seasons.

holt_bruce81
03-11-2009, 05:38 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/11/free-agent-lb-crowell-visiting-lions/

Free-agent linebacker Angelo Crowell visited with the Lions today after visiting with the Buccaneers on Monday. The Eagles and Rams also have contacted Crowell’s agent to express interest but not to the point of offering him a contract.

If he's completely healthy, I wouldn't mind him as the teams SLB next season!

Menardo75
03-12-2009, 12:02 AM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/11/free-agent-lb-crowell-visiting-lions/

If he's completely healthy, I wouldn't mind him as the teams SLB next season!

If he is healthy you will have one heck of a player.

rockio42
03-13-2009, 03:37 PM
NFL Network just reported on their ticker that the Rams have released WR Torry Holt...

damnit

NGSeiler
03-13-2009, 03:48 PM
Can't say this is a surprise, since Holt asked the club for his release. He had a great career as a Ram and will always be one of my favorites. I wish him the best and hope he looks back at his time with this team in a positive way.

freebirdsrams02
03-13-2009, 03:53 PM
Here is an article from the Rams website about Holts release.

http://www.stlouisrams.com/article/71044/

holt_bruce81
03-13-2009, 06:06 PM
Receiver is a huge need. I hope the Rams sign one before the draft.

Ronald Curry
Bobby Engram
DJ Hackett
Darrell Jackson
Joe Jurevicius
Justin McCareins
Shaun McDonald
Amani Toomer

yodabear
03-13-2009, 06:12 PM
Awwww man, it is gonna be weird and sad seeing Holt in a different uni next year. I know we have lost others in the past including Warner, Bruce, and this year Pace. But Holt has always been my favorite guy, so it is gonna be weird, but since more than likely next year will be a rebuilding year for us, it would be great to see whatever team Holt ends up with doing real well.

holt_bruce81
03-13-2009, 06:44 PM
Awwww man, it is gonna be weird and sad seeing Holt in a different uni next year. I know we have lost others in the past including Warner, Bruce, and this year Pace. But Holt has always been my favorite guy, so it is gonna be weird, but since more than likely next year will be a rebuilding year for us, it would be great to see whatever team Holt ends up with doing real well.

Yeah, He's been my favorite guy too.

gpngc
03-13-2009, 07:09 PM
Receiver is a huge need. I hope the Rams sign one before the draft.

Ronald Curry
Bobby Engram
DJ Hackett
Darrell Jackson
Joe Jurevicius
Justin McCareins
Shaun McDonald
Amani Toomer

What about a Crab then a tackle at #34?

Unlikely with the porous defense, I suppose. But we've seen weirder...

holt_bruce81
03-13-2009, 07:11 PM

Yeah, that's an option. But the Rams currently only have three Receivers on the roster.

NGSeiler
03-13-2009, 09:29 PM

I think Smith/Monroe and then WR in the second or third is more likely.

BAgee87
03-14-2009, 02:12 AM
Anything can happen glad to see you guys embrace that we could go wide reciever at #2 and not dog on each other and call it done that were getting curry or a OT. Im so confused with what we were going to pick because there isnt one need i believe to be stronger than another! It takes more then a year to plug the holes we have anyway. I think the Rams made a heck of a grab with Greco last year in the draft and with Brown coming in i almost want to experiment with our line this year because i think brown will make the entire line better! Im really excited for this year though cant wait to see all of our talent to develope because i believe we have ALOT of it and think we can only go up from where we are!

BAgee87
03-14-2009, 04:43 AM
I also love the idea of jurevicious coming in he has insane hands and hes a great vet to have on a team in my opinion wouldnt mind it at all.

freebirdsrams02
03-14-2009, 02:13 PM
What are some thoughts on 2nd day picks either players or positions? I would like to see a QB somewhere in the draft. I like John Parker Wilson from Alabama.

holt_bruce81
03-14-2009, 04:02 PM
I like Nate Davis and I would imagine the Rams drafting a Defensive Tackle they can rotate in for Carriker and Ryan.

Trolfes
03-14-2009, 04:34 PM
I agree with DT as a second day choice. We need a good NT to get in the rotation. Chris Baker or Terrence Taylor would be good if we could get them in the 4th

Castle
03-15-2009, 03:25 AM
If the rams do go Smith/Monroe in the first, who do you see them targeting in the second? Maybe a wideout like Nicks or Britt?

holt_bruce81
03-15-2009, 03:40 AM
If the rams do go Smith/Monroe in the first, who do you see them targeting in the second? Maybe a wideout like Nicks or Britt?

I would say Receiver or Linebacker.

BAgee87
03-15-2009, 04:43 AM
ive been reading rams are actually having a meeting and frequent talks with QB Josh freeman do you think thats if he falls to the 2nd round?? kinda throws me off??!!

freebirdsrams02
03-15-2009, 12:13 PM

If Laurinaitis was to drop I wolud love to see the Rams take him in the 2nd. Scott has him as the first pick in the 2 round of his mock.

tfry
03-16-2009, 01:02 PM
The way the Rams roster is shaping up we have no choice but to go OT & WR with our first two picks.

Would you rather see:

Smith/Monroe and Britt
or
Crabtree and Beatty

Personally, I'd love to see the Rams grab Ronald Curry. I think he's got the potential to be a top 20 receiver in the league with the right QB.

Btw, it sounds more and more likely that Cutler could hit the trading block. What are your thoughts? It's obvious we are two years or more away from being competitive. I'd be perfectly o.k. with trading Bulger and a couple early picks (1st and 2nd rounders???) to get Cutler. We have a lot of holes, but if you don't have a competent QB it doesn't make much difference (see: Minnesota Vikings, Tarvaris Jackson).

One last thing...I think all the Josh Freeman talk is to try to get a team to move up if he falls to the 2nd round. He's a HUGE project and not something we need right now.

PossumBoy9
03-16-2009, 01:50 PM
ive been reading rams are actually having a meeting and frequent talks with QB Josh freeman do you think thats if he falls to the 2nd round?? kinda throws me off??!!

The Rams are the type of team that would be good for Freeman to go to, as they would have time to develop him.

There would be nothing surprising about that to me.

rockio42
03-16-2009, 08:16 PM
The way the Rams roster is shaping up we have no choice but to go OT & WR with our first two picks.

Would you rather see:

Smith/Monroe and Britt
or
Crabtree and Beatty

Personally, I'd love to see the Rams grab Ronald Curry. I think he's got the potential to be a top 20 receiver in the league with the right QB.

Btw, it sounds more and more likely that Cutler could hit the trading block. What are your thoughts? It's obvious we are two years or more away from being competitive. I'd be perfectly o.k. with trading Bulger and a couple early picks (1st and 2nd rounders???) to get Cutler. We have a lot of holes, but if you don't have a competent QB it doesn't make much difference (see: Minnesota Vikings, Tarvaris Jackson).

One last thing...I think all the Josh Freeman talk is to try to get a team to move up if he falls to the 2nd round. He's a HUGE project and not something we need right now.

I personally don't like Beatty a damn bit...so I REALLY would like orgasm if we took Jason Smith and Kenny Britt and then Gerald McRath in the third

Castle
03-16-2009, 08:47 PM
The Rams are the type of team that would be good for Freeman to go to, as they would have time to develop him.

There would be nothing surprising about that to me.

I've never considered QB an option in this draft but Freeman would be a very interesting pick at the top of the second round. However, I don't think he makes it out of the first.

shady00
03-18-2009, 03:06 AM
rams #2 pick (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50AzpWY0hls&feature=channel_page)

BAgee87
03-19-2009, 01:11 PM
rams #2 pick (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50AzpWY0hls&feature=channel_page)

a few times i was like where is he then that little red cursor was all the way up field where he had the game completely just smashed he looks pretty over powering and seems to know how to guide them around!

NGSeiler
03-20-2009, 04:57 PM

If Laurinaitis was to drop I wolud love to see the Rams take him in the 2nd. Scott has him as the first pick in the 2 round of his mock.

I think there's a solid chance a guy like Laurinaitis slips into the second round. The last couple of years it seems like there's been at least one highly regarded linebacker that's slipped when it comes to draft day. If we could land Monroe/Smith and then Laurinaitis in the second, it'd be one heck of a first day.

freebirdsrams02
03-20-2009, 06:46 PM
I think there's a solid chance a guy like Laurinaitis slips into the second round. The last couple of years it seems like there's been at least one highly regarded linebacker that's slipped when it comes to draft day. If we could land Monroe/Smith and then Laurinaitis in the second, it'd be one heck of a first day.

I would love to see this and I think it could happen. We could then either draft a WR in the 3rd or the best player available.

freebirdsrams02
03-23-2009, 12:55 PM
Adam Goldberg was resigned to give depth on the O-Line. I like this signing, he played all over our line the last few years.

http://www.stlouisrams.com/article/71151/

tfry
03-24-2009, 08:56 AM
I think we've been one of the most active teams in Free Agency thus far with the signings of Brown, Bartell, Butler, etc.

We still need to add some depth to wide receiver and it would be nice to add a pair of veterans at least for camp depth. With only Avery, Burton, Stanley, and Looker on the roster we need about 3 or 4 more receivers IMO. Who should we target before the draft comes upon us in a month?

holt_bruce81
03-24-2009, 05:42 PM
I don't even think Looker is on the roster. Could be wrong though.

rockio42
03-24-2009, 06:10 PM
I don't even think Looker is on the roster. Could be wrong though.

I thought he was a RFA but I could be wrong...am I the only one that is starting to get a little worried about a guy like Britt or Nicks not being there in the second and we don't take Crabtree in the 1st (even though I do want Jason Smith over Crabs) therefore leaving us with Burton, Avery, Stanley, and then (only possibly) a 3rd rounder??

tfry
03-26-2009, 08:27 AM
Only having 3 receivers on the roster is certainly a concern. That's why I posted earlier about our receivers. We need CAMP BODIES if nothing else. There are some good options still out there and we need to sign a few.

I thought he was a RFA but I could be wrong...am I the only one that is starting to get a little worried about a guy like Britt or Nicks not being there in the second and we don't take Crabtree in the 1st (even though I do want Jason Smith over Crabs) therefore leaving us with Burton, Avery, Stanley, and then (only possibly) a 3rd rounder??

diabsoule
03-26-2009, 07:45 PM
Witherspoon to move to OLB
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=141735

He should excel as an OLB in Spags system.

rockio42
03-26-2009, 11:08 PM
Witherspoon to move to OLB
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=141735

He should excel as an OLB in Spags system.

How is this new??

Just kidding man, thanks for the link, but it has been projected since the year ended but a link in always nice Diab

holt_bruce81
03-30-2009, 11:23 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=4219

Dolphins QB John Beck is available for any compensation amount, according to ESPN's John Clayton.
Clayton says any team "need only make an offer" to get Beck. The Fins are still trying to clear any Cam Cameron holdovers off their roster. The Ravens could show some interest in Beck as competition for No. 2 QB Troy Smith.

Hey why not.

NGSeiler
03-31-2009, 11:18 AM
Rams have signed TE Billy Bajema, who is expected to replace Anthony Becht as the blocking tight end for the team...

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/around-the-horns/around-the-horns/2009/03/te-billy-bajema-agrees-to-terms-with-st-louis-rams/

rockio42
03-31-2009, 01:07 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=4219

Hey why not.

cause he has no upside...

rockio42
03-31-2009, 01:08 PM
Rams have signed TE Billy Bajema, who is expected to replace Anthony Becht as the blocking tight end for the team...

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/around-the-horns/around-the-horns/2009/03/te-billy-bajema-agrees-to-terms-with-st-louis-rams/

I really liked this signing, me and hawkeye were talking about in another thread but it seems like we could have a pretty strong running game with additions of guys like Brown, Karney, & Bajema and hopefully a true power back like Rashad Jennings in the draft

holt_bruce81
03-31-2009, 08:01 PM
cause he has no upside...

How do you know that? has to be better than Gus Frerotte at this ppoint in their careers.