Ryan Purvis, Boston College
5th Round

Shawn Nelson, Southern Miss
5th Round

Jared Bronson, Central Washington
6th Round

Anthony Hill, North Carolina State
7th Round

*note my grades do not indicate when they will be drafted rather where I personally believe they deserve to be drafted based on my evaluations.

tjsunstein
12-29-2008, 10:31 AM
Is this the Senior list? Leaving out Jermaine Gresham, Jared Cook, and Dennis Pitta.

Bigburt63
12-29-2008, 10:42 AM
I personally feel that Purvis from BC is better than where he will be drafted. hes a good all around tight end, and saw his production drop off this year after matt ryan left. I feel as though he is underrated.

Pokeys
12-29-2008, 11:49 AM
Anyone like Shawn Nelson as much as I do?

I think there was more talent in last years TE class but Beckum has a chance to be a real good one

middlelinebacker54
12-29-2008, 11:51 AM
Is this the Senior list? Leaving out Jermaine Gresham, Jared Cook, and Dennis Pitta.

yes, my list was just of players guaranteed to be in the draft. I will add underclassmen as they declare.

CashmoneyDrew
12-29-2008, 11:58 AM
Beckum wouldn't be picked that high even if he hadn't been injured.

Race for the Heisman
12-29-2008, 12:18 PM
I agree with both Voodoomonkey and Bigburt63 on Beckum and Purvis, respectively.

Larry121283
12-29-2008, 12:24 PM
Beckum is getting severely overrated.

I'll take guys like Bear Pascoe, Shawn Nelson, and Ryan Purvis over him, even if they don't provide the upside in the passing game as Beckum may.

Super sleeper is Darius Hill from Ball State. Had a big year as a sophy and the numbers have gone down hill since...he probably won't get drafted, but he does provide some upside as a pass catching TE in the NFL.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-29-2008, 01:54 PM
I know he has cruddy injury history but I still have Anthony Hill as a top 5 TE in this draft class.

Don Vito
12-29-2008, 02:10 PM
I think Purvis will be a solid NFL TE and is underrated at this point. He didn't put up any numbers this year but most of that was due to poor QB play and a run first attack. Purvis is a good blocker and a reliable receiver with decent size and athleticism, he won't be a superstar but he will be a good NFL tight end.

iowatreat54
12-29-2008, 02:14 PM
I think Brandon Myers from Iowa has a chance to sneak in to the late rounds if he works out well. He is a good blocker, and has proven the last year and a half that he has very reliable hands in a passing game geared towards the TE. He's 6'4 250, so he has good size as well.

grover33
12-29-2008, 02:33 PM
Beckum did have some injuries his JR. season Mick, I think he will be taken in the 3rd after his injury. Beckum is really not that overrated i don't quite understand that, he has all the tools to be a DOMINANT TE in the NFL. Huge Upside, Huge Size, Great Hands, Good Speed, Can read the D, He's the best TE to come out of the draft this year, I see how like a Dustin Keller or a Zach Miller could be rated higher then him though, they have more things then Travis that they are good at. He should be a VERY good player for whatever team takes him.

Race for the Heisman
12-29-2008, 04:21 PM
Beckum did have some injuries his JR. season Mick, I think he will be taken in the 3rd after his injury. Beckum is really not that overrated i don't quite understand that, he has all the tools to be a DOMINANT TE in the NFL. Huge Upside, Huge Size, Great Hands, Good Speed, Can read the D, He's the best TE to come out of the draft this year, I see how like a Dustin Keller or a Zach Miller could be rated higher then him though, they have more things then Travis that they are good at. He should be a VERY good player for whatever team takes him.

He's listed at 6'4" 235, which is nice, but not exactly huge, and I'm not sure that's how he'll measure, either.

rfc17
12-29-2008, 04:52 PM
how bout John Phillips? been stuck on a team that constantly puts out solid TEs and has lousy QB play.

energizerbunny
12-29-2008, 04:55 PM
I think your slightly overrating Beckum, could he be a 1st round pick? potentially but that is very dependant on workouts and how he looks comming off the injury.

Currently I have Gresham and Pettigrew much higher then Beckum.

captainjack27
12-29-2008, 05:40 PM
Beckum is not the best TE. Gresham and Coffman are better options. Beckum has a lot of tools, but durability is a concern. He could be a solid pro though.

etk
12-29-2008, 09:14 PM
Beckum is getting severely overrated.

I'll take guys like Bear Pascoe, Shawn Nelson, and Ryan Purvis over him, even if they don't provide the upside in the passing game as Beckum may.

Super sleeper is Darius Hill from Ball State. Had a big year as a sophy and the numbers have gone down hill since...he probably won't get drafted, but he does provide some upside as a pass catching TE in the NFL.

You have to put things in perspective. Beckum is extremely talented, but he only fits a small handful of teams in the NFL. For that reason, his draft range is very high and he gets devalued.

I don't think Darius Hill will make it. He's a perfect tweener. Way too lanky and frail to play TE, and not explosive enough to play WR or SB. Where do you see him fit? I only see him being effective as a red zone target but it's hard to justify giving him a roster spot for that. I don't think he's fast/tough enough to cover kicks either.

Texas Homer
12-29-2008, 10:53 PM
The TE James Casey from Rice is a Beast. He is a 24 year old Soph. that used to play baseball. I'm not sure if he is coming out, but he looks like more athletic Jason Witten.

iowatreat54
12-29-2008, 11:35 PM
I didn't think Beckum was that great of a blocker. I could be wrong, but if I had to guess I'd say he was average at best from watching him the last couple years. Is he supposed to be any good at blocking?

That alone would lead me to say he isn't the best TE this year.

sbh15
12-29-2008, 11:35 PM
You like Tight Ends, eh?

Number 10
12-30-2008, 12:17 AM
Chase Coffman doesn't belong anywhere in the top 5 rounds.

Race for the Heisman
12-30-2008, 12:17 AM
You like Tight Ends, eh?

Come now, who doesn't like a great tight end?

TitanHope
12-30-2008, 12:29 AM
There's a player named Bear in this Draft?! That's amazazing!!!

In other news, Cornelius Ingram is a pteradactyl.

jbeans187
12-30-2008, 12:55 AM

You re right. He should be picked before them.

Larry121283
12-30-2008, 08:40 AM
You have to put things in perspective. Beckum is extremely talented, but he only fits a small handful of teams in the NFL. For that reason, his draft range is very high and he gets devalued.

I don't think Darius Hill will make it. He's a perfect tweener. Way too lanky and frail to play TE, and not explosive enough to play WR or SB. Where do you see him fit? I only see him being effective as a red zone target but it's hard to justify giving him a roster spot for that. I don't think he's fast/tough enough to cover kicks either.

I don't think Hill will even be drafted, probably won't be a priority, but...the kid can catch and be productive in the passing game, so, I think there is a spot for him somewhere.

Maybe you bring him in and p-squad him for a year or two, bulk him up, etc and see what you possibly could get down the road. If I was a coach, I'd try and bring him in and see what I can do with him, see what kind of upside he has as a blocker (remember, Marcedes Lewis wasn't known as a blocker in college, but is now one of the better blocking TEs in football, so...it can be coached up) and see what I can do with him as a pass catcher.

I think he'd be worthy of the small signing bonus as a UDFA to give him a try out because he has some upside as a pass catching TE and a frame to get bigger.

As for Beckum, I agree...he only fits so many schemes...I'm just not a fan. A lot of people are mentioning Dustin Keller, but Keller is a crazy athlete...not necessarily a traditional tight end, just a "pass catcher", IMO. Don't see the same athleticism in Beckum as Keller has.

And, to the guy that mentioned James Casey...100% agree...total beast. Big fan.

middlelinebacker54
12-30-2008, 11:02 AM
Guys, guys, guys I totally agree that Beckum will be drafted in the THIRD ROUND! My draft grade simply reflects how good I (meaning me) think he is. Anyways I'm expecting Travis Beckum to have a great combine by weighing in at about 245 and running in the 4.5-4.6 range.

Babylon
12-30-2008, 02:08 PM

Is round 2 in the top 5 rounds?

middlelinebacker54
12-31-2008, 12:29 PM
the tight end position is changing and guys like Beckum are becoming a premium. Theres no doubt in my mind that he won't become a total stud. Just look at Owen Daniels. He had similiar size coming out yet lacked Beckum's production and he's already one of the best in the business.

jessekopplin77
12-31-2008, 08:53 PM
Shawn Nelson is a big sleeper in this draft. Has great size and is a great receiver. Of all the TE, he is the sleeper, and I think could be very good.

ThatThereCarGoin200mph
12-31-2008, 09:17 PM
davon drew...

jessekopplin77
12-31-2008, 09:21 PM
this thread is lame because he has a injured TE as the number 1 prospect.

middlelinebacker54
12-31-2008, 09:29 PM
this thread is lame because he has a injured TE as the number 1 prospect.

well sir the rankings are simply where i have the declared tight ends ranked as of now. I am reserved to change my opinion at any time but as of now thats where i stand. I would appreciate it if you refrained from degrading my thread sir.

jessekopplin77
01-01-2009, 12:16 AM
well sir the rankings are simply where i have the declared tight ends ranked as of now. I am reserved to change my opinion at any time but as of now thats where i stand. I would appreciate it if you refrained from degrading my thread sir.

You should not even have an order, because no one will agree with your rankings at all. Since when, does a player to break his leg get drafted in the first round. The last player with First Round material, that broke a leg was Michael Bush. Michael Bush ended up not being drafted in the First Round, but ended up being the 1st pick in the 4th Round. Idk, but your thinking does not make sense.

Hokie's#1
01-02-2009, 07:42 PM
You should rank more players than just 10. 16 got drafted last year.

ThatThereCarGoin200mph
01-02-2009, 08:59 PM
hey hokie cant wait to see what boooooooone does at the combine next year hahaha hes a beast!