middlelinebacker54
12-29-2008, 11:08 AM
Travis Beckum
Position: Tight End
College: Wisconsin
Ht: 6'4'' Wt: 235
Draft Grade: Mid 1st Round

Strengths:
He's a top-notch receiver with extremely soft hands. Beckum is the prototype for the new breed of tight end, not overly big but great speed, which allows him to be split out wide too. Beckum is a good route runner and is great at creating separation from defenders. In addition, he is able to stretch the seam and is nightmare for opposing defenses to cover. His agility, speed and hands are the same caliber of a top-notch wide receiver, which makes him impossible to cover one-on-one. He is an extremely fluid athlete and is adept at making acrobatic catches and eye popping moves on defenders. Beckum has been clutch in big games and has consistently put up great efforts, even in games where the Badgers have been overmatched. Beckum has been extremely productive totaling over 1,900 yards in 2006 and 2007 combined. Although he was easily the best tight end in College Football in 2006 and 2007, he did not receive proper recognition because of his lack of size and the belief that he is not a traditional tight end.

Weaknesses:
Although Travis Beckum has gained a solid 15 pounds and improved upon his technique, he still leaves a lot to be desired as a blocker. In addition, Beckum needs to gain another 10 to 15 pounds to be able to deal with the larger players in the NFL. He has only played tight end for a little over 2 seasons in his entire life, as he switched to tight end the spring of 2006, so he’s still a little bit raw. Also, Beckum is coming off of a broken fibula but all reports indicate that he's making a successful recovery.

Overview:
Travis Beckum is easily the most dominant college football tight end since Kellen Winslow, Jr. Beckum has put up huge numbers in college yet remains very raw, which proves that he has huge pro potential. He is huge a match up problem with his wide receiver like abilities and tight end size. If Beckum is able to gain a solid 10 pounds, improve upon his blocking, and refine his route running the sky is the limit for this guy. Travis Beckum is a truly special player and if he can stay healthy there is no end to what he is capable of doing in the NFL.

College Career

Year Games Rec. Yds. Tds.
2006 13 61 903 5
2007 13 75 982 6
2008 6 23 264 0

princefielder28
12-29-2008, 11:14 AM
If he had stayed healthy this season then he would be considered for the first round, but due to two straight injury plagued seasons Beckum will be looking more for his name to be called in the 2nd-3rd round.

middlelinebacker54
12-29-2008, 11:18 AM
If he had stayed healthy this season then he would be considered for the first round, but due to two straight injury plagued seasons Beckum will be looking more for his name to be called in the 2nd-3rd round.

yeah i totally agree but MY GRADE is mid 1st round. However i agree that he will probably be drafted in the 2nd-3rd round region. My grade is simply where i feel he deserves to go based on production and pro potential.

middlelinebacker54
12-29-2008, 11:18 AM

Beckum didnt get injured til this year...

A Perfect Score
12-29-2008, 11:29 AM
I think hes more like Fred Davis then Kellen Winslow, but maybe thats just me...dont get me wrong, I like Beckum, but I think hes more of a Mid 2nd round grade...there is just no way i can see him in the mid 1st under any scenario

sbh15
12-29-2008, 11:49 AM
Why are there so many random new members coming in and just posting scouting reports like crazy on random guys? It's good they're contributing, but it's weird.

He'll end up as an H-Back, not a tight end.

princefielder28
12-29-2008, 12:16 PM
Beckum didnt get injured til this year...

He battled some minor injuries last season, but nothing to the magnitude of this season's injury.

Larry121283
12-29-2008, 12:19 PM
Has some upside, but is more of a slow WR than TE or HBack.

Both he and Cornelius Ingram (similar players and similar situations) will go late. Maybe I am going out on a limb here...just don't see a player that is getting associated with Round 1, 2, 3...just don't see it. I like a lot of senior AND junior tight ends over these guys. Couple that with their injuries...meh.

bigboiajhawk
12-29-2008, 12:28 PM
I think Beckum goes in the third round. He has too much speed not to, however he doesnt have the size and he is not a true TE. I say third round, because like the guy above said there are alot of TE's that are good in this years draft.

middlelinebacker54
12-29-2008, 12:46 PM
He battled some minor injuries last season, but nothing to the magnitude of this season's injury.

buddy he really wasnt injured at all as a junior. EVERYONE has minor injuries, you just are trying to cover your ass.

princefielder28
12-29-2008, 12:58 PM
buddy he really wasnt injured at all as a junior. EVERYONE has minor injuries, you just are trying to cover your ass.

I am a Badgers fan, I would know.

middlelinebacker54
12-29-2008, 01:08 PM
me too buddy but he didnt have any injuries that hindered his play to even bring it up is unnecessary. Pretty soon you will be talking about how he got a cut on his left pinkie...

andyjo672
12-29-2008, 01:13 PM
MiddleLinebacker...what the tone a little bit with Prince, he follows the Badgers more closely than anyone on this forum. As I recall, he was battling injuries all year long two years ago.

RaiderNation
12-29-2008, 01:18 PM
He will be a 3rd rounder

illmatic74
12-29-2008, 02:10 PM
Travis Beckum

Strengths:
He's a top-notch receiver with extremely soft hands. Beckum is the prototype for the new breed of tight end, not overly big but great speed, which allows him to be split out wide too. Beckum is a good route runner and is great at creating separation from defenders. In addition, he is able to stretch the seam and is nightmare for opposing defenses to cover. His agility, speed and hands are the same caliber of a top-notch wide receiver, which makes him impossible to cover one-on-one. He is an extremely fluid athlete and is adept at making acrobatic catches and eye popping moves on defenders. Beckum has been clutch in big games and has consistently put up great efforts, even in games where the Badgers have been overmatched. Beckum has been extremely productive totaling over 1,900 yards in 2006 and 2007 combined. Although he was easily the best tight end in College Football in 2006 and 2007, he did not receive proper recognition because of his lack of size and the belief that he is not a traditional tight end.

Weaknesses:
Although Travis Beckum has gained a solid 15 pounds and improved upon his technique, he still leaves a lot to be desired as a blocker. In addition, Beckum needs to gain another 10 to 15 pounds to be able to deal with the larger players in the NFL. He has only played tight end for a little over 2 seasons in his entire life, as he switched to tight end the spring of 2006, so hes still a little bit raw. Also, Beckum is coming off of a broken fibula but all reports indicate that he's making a successful recovery.

Overview:
Travis Beckum is easily the most dominant college football tight end since Kellen Winslow, Jr. Beckum has put up huge numbers in college yet remains very raw, which proves that he has huge pro potential. He is huge a match up problem with his wide receiver like abilities and tight end size. If Beckum is able to gain a solid 10 pounds, improve upon his blocking, and refine his route running the sky is the limit for this guy. Travis Beckum is a truly special player and if he can stay healthy there is no end to what he is capable of doing in the NFL.

College Career

2006 13 61 903 5
2007 13 75 982 6
2008 6 23 264 0Vernon Davis?I think Beckum would have had a chance to go first since Dustin Keller went first last year. But with the injury 3rd round.

jessekopplin77
12-29-2008, 03:13 PM
I know for a fact that he will not go the 1st round. The highest he could possibly go is the Mid-Late 2nd Round. But for sure, somewhere in the 3rd round. I think if he were to try out during the Combine, and put up average numbers, he could go 2nd round for sure. Scouts would think, that he is close to playing football again. Expect him to go on the 2nd day of the draft, with the first couple of picks.

captainjack27
12-29-2008, 03:16 PM
Ok, Beckum is good, but to say the most dominant TE since K2 is a stretch, and you know it. I think he's a late 2nd-Early 3rd guy. I do think he can be a very productive TE in the NFL though.

princefielder28
12-29-2008, 07:14 PM
Vernon Davis?I think Beckum would have had a chance to go first since Dustin Keller went first last year. But with the injury 3rd round.

Vernon Davis wasn't a dominant college TE....he was productive, but his measurables were the thing that got him the Top 6 selection.

Sniper
12-29-2008, 07:23 PM
Vernon Davis wasn't a dominant college TE....he was productive, but his measurables were the thing that got him the Top 6 selection.

Um, que? His junior year he averaged 17.1 yards per catch. That's pretty sick.

princefielder28
12-29-2008, 07:33 PM
Um, que? His junior year he averaged 17.1 yards per catch. That's pretty sick.

I will agree that those statistics are sick, but his selection had more to do with his potential and measurables than his "dominance" in college.

Sniper
12-29-2008, 07:34 PM
I will agree that those statistics are sick, but his selection had more to do with his potential and measurables than his "dominance" in college.

You have to remember he played at Maryland, home of the nation's worst QBs. Nick Sheridan could be a full-time starter there.

illmatic74
12-29-2008, 07:37 PM
I will agree that those statistics are sick, but his selection had more to do with his potential and measurables than his "dominance" in college.He was an All-American.

princefielder28
12-29-2008, 07:41 PM
He was an All-American.

He wasn't the Mackey Award winner in '05.

Vernon Davis had an impressive junior season and his abilities translated well to the next level, but he did not "dominate" the college scene.

sbh15
12-29-2008, 09:18 PM
Aaron Hernandez > All

energizerbunny
12-30-2008, 12:30 AM
I have both Gresham and Pettigrew ahead of him currently. Although he does offer something both of them do not.

I agree with a majority of what you said.

stupidquestions
12-30-2008, 01:05 AM
Travis Beckum

Strengths:

Weaknesses:
Although Travis Beckum has gained a solid 15 pounds and improved upon his technique, he still leaves a lot to be desired as a blocker. In addition, Beckum needs to gain another 10 to 15 pounds to be able to deal with the larger players in the NFL. He has only played tight end for a little over 2 seasons in his entire life, as he switched to tight end the spring of 2006, so hes still a little bit raw. Also, Beckum is coming off of a broken fibula but all reports indicate that he's making a successful recovery.

Overview:

College Career

2006 13 61 903 5
2007 13 75 982 6
2008 6 23 264 0

I'll simplify this. Good height at 6'4". Can catch the ball like a wide receiver, but blocks like a punter. Also, too small at 235 lbs, and not fast enough to play wide receiver.

middlelinebacker54
12-30-2008, 11:09 AM
I agree that Beckum probably wont be drafted until the 2nd-3rd round region. My draft grade was simply my personal grade on simply how good he is not where he will be drafted.