PDA

View Full Version : Andre Smith Suspended!

Scott Wright
12-29-2008, 02:29 PM
Alabama suspended Andre Smith for the Sugar Bowl:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/ncaa/12/29/alabama.smith.ap/index.html

Probably not a big thing but certainly doesn't help his cause.

Definitely brings those questions about his maturity and commitment back to the forefront.

SuperKevin
12-29-2008, 02:31 PM
I guess it just means he has an extra week to prepare for the draft

Scott Wright
12-29-2008, 02:38 PM
* Under 6-4

* Conditioning Issues

* Off the Field Trouble

#1 Overall Pick?

Looks awfully risky to me Detroit.

sbh15
12-29-2008, 02:38 PM
I'd like to see what he did that got him suspended before I make a judgement, but I doubt it gives any team second thoughts about taking a guy with his ability.

Babylon
12-29-2008, 02:41 PM
* Under 6-4

* Conditioning Issues

* Off the Field Trouble

#1 Overall Pick?

Sounds like an Oakland Raider to me. Seriously it could start a bit of a slide of the OTs with a lot of teams thinking they can get one a little later in the draft(depending on jrs who declare)

Scott Wright
12-29-2008, 02:43 PM
I'd like to see what he did that got him suspended before I make a judgement, but I doubt it gives any team second thoughts about taking a guy with his ability.

I really don't think what it was matters, unless it was real bad in which case it matters all that much more. I can't see them suspending a player of his caliber for no reason.

RaiderNation
12-29-2008, 02:44 PM
* Under 6-4

* Conditioning Issues

* Off the Field Trouble

#1 Overall Pick?

Isnt JaMarcus Russell 6-5??????? But really, if this means Andre drops in the draft, Id love to have him in Oakland

BamaFalcon59
12-29-2008, 02:45 PM
I am an Andre Smith (LT Alabama) fan, but I have never been a big proponant (spelling) of taking him top five. I think his size is a big concern. He is not as tall as the prototypical left tackle, and I hae questions if he can maintain a suitable weight.

He could turn into an all pro left tackle, but there is a risk there. I would hold out on him, because there is a shot his best shot to succeed would be at right tackle or guard.

I would take Michael Oher over him all day.

bored of education
12-29-2008, 02:48 PM
ut oh. bad boy Andre

BRAVEHEART
12-29-2008, 02:48 PM
when the seniorbowl and combine come, I wanna see what OT emerges at 1 or 2 at the position.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-29-2008, 02:54 PM
Go Eugene!!!

Halsey
12-29-2008, 02:55 PM
Yet another reason the Lions need to take a QB with the #1 overall pick, assuming Stafford and Bradford declare. Just look at the playoff teams. Most of them start a QB they drafted in the first round or was drafted by another team in the first round. The Titans, Steelers, Colts, Ravens, Chargers, Dolphins, Giants, Eagles and Falcons start a first rounder at QB.

bored of education
12-29-2008, 02:55 PM
Go Eugene!!!

My thoughts exactly. I see him emeging as number 1 OT on most boards. I have him there now myself :)

Paranoidmoonduck
12-29-2008, 02:58 PM
Until I hear more, I still think he's the best offensive tackle prospect by a noticeable margin, but there's certainly a lot of talent at the position this year (especially if Britton and Okung leave school early) and it wouldn't be unimaginable to see one or two players leapfrog Andre.

Babylon
12-29-2008, 02:59 PM
Yet another reason the Lions need to take a QB with the #1 overall pick, assuming Stafford and Bradford declare. Just look at the playoff teams. Most of them start a QB they drafted in the first round or was drafted by another team in the first round. The Titans, Steelers, Colts, Ravens, Chargers, Dolphins, Giants, Eagles and Falcons start a first rounder at QB.

I think the deep depth at Tackle probably made that decision pretty easy even before this incident. You'd have a hard time convincing anyone Smith was worthy of the #1 pick.

CashmoneyDrew
12-29-2008, 03:00 PM

Yeah, but two of those nine weren't drafted by the team they play for. I think Detroit should make a play for Cassel if they can.

TACKLE
12-29-2008, 03:02 PM
Big loss for Bama but Andre was overrated as a prospect anyway. I always saw him as a Top 15 pick like Otah or Shawn Andrews. I never understood why he was consistently being put in the Top 3 when he clearly is not athletic enough to be an elite LT at the next level. He can be a dominant RT but he'll always struggle against speed rushers. With so many teams moving to a 3-4 with fast edge rushers, Andre would be exposed at LT.

Larry121283
12-29-2008, 03:02 PM
Rumor has it he was talking to or has already signed with an agent, which is why he was "suspended" for the game.

take it fwiw.

Babylon
12-29-2008, 03:05 PM
Yeah, but two of those nine weren't drafted by the team they play for. I think Detroit should make a play for Cassel if they can.

I actually hope you're right because i have visions of Stafford playing somewhere else but i'm not sure Cassel would be the best fit for Detroit. I think the Lions need to draft the big arm QB and rebuild like the Cowboys did in the 90s. I think Cassel is sort of a by-product of the Patriots system and talent.

Halsey
12-29-2008, 03:06 PM

Cassel is every bit the risk Stafford or Bradford would be except that he will likely cost less. He's just as likely to be the next Scott Mitchell as he is to be the next Jake Delhomme. Plus, unlike Stafford or Bradford, Cassel can choose which team to sign with. Who's to say he won't sign with another team.

keylime_5
12-29-2008, 03:08 PM
I am an Andre Smith (LT Alabama) fan, but I have never been a big proponant (spelling) of taking him top five. I think his size is a big concern. He is not as tall as the prototypical left tackle, and I hae questions if he can maintain a suitable weight.

He could turn into an all pro left tackle, but there is a risk there. I would hold out on him, because there is a shot his best shot to succeed would be at right tackle or guard.

I would take Michael Oher over him all day.

I would take Jason Smith over both as a pure pass blocker. Not a player comes close in terms of pass pro to Jason Smith, but overall Andre has some serious upside and even if he doesn't work out at left tackle, he'd be a really great right tackle and right guard. I don't see how St.Louis and Oakland and Seattle would all say no to Andre. Monroe and Oher I think get overated a bit, I really think they will be the 3rd and 4th OTs drafted.

Scott Wright
12-29-2008, 03:08 PM
Until I hear more, I still think he's the best offensive tackle prospect by a noticeable margin

Let's assume it was the most minor thing possible. Say, missed classes.

What does that say about his commitment to his team and teammates that he would be irresponsible enough to put his eligibility for a BCS Bowl game in jeopardy because he was too lazy to go to class?

And that's a best-case scenario.

That's what I meant when I said I don't think what he did it matters. Just the fact that he got himself suspended for such a big game raises serious questions.

Scott Wright
12-29-2008, 03:09 PM
Cassel isn't going to cost that much less than Stafford...

Paranoidmoonduck
12-29-2008, 03:12 PM
Let's assume it was the most minor thing possible. Say, missed classes.

What does that say about his commitment to his team and teammates that he would be irresponsible enough to put his eligibility for a BCS Bowl game in jeopardy because he was too lazy to go to class?

And that's a best-case scenario.

That's what I meant when I said I don't think what he did it matters. Just the fact that he got himself suspended for such a big game raises serious questions.

You're correct of course, but it's hard to know how explicit Saban makes team rules. For all we know he's trying to keep Smith's junior season incomplete so he comes back next year. :rolleyes:

Xiomera
12-29-2008, 03:15 PM
This just strengthens my belief that Stafford has to be the #1 pick over Andre Smith.

Xiomera
12-29-2008, 03:15 PM

Cassel will be Franchised, don't ya think? With the news that Brady's recovery has taken a turn for the worse, I think New England has little choice to hang onto him for one more year.

Halsey
12-29-2008, 03:16 PM

Matt Ryan got $74 mill with $35 mill guarenteed. That means if the Lions take a QB #1 it will likely cost them over $75 mill, maybe close to $80 mill. You think some team will pay close to that for Cassel?

Babylon
12-29-2008, 03:18 PM
This just strengthens my belief that Stafford has to be the #1 pick over Andre Smith.

I agree with Stafford as the #1 pick, just not sure it will be by Detroit.

CashmoneyDrew
12-29-2008, 03:19 PM
Matt Ryan got $74 mill with $35 mill guarenteed. That means if the Lions take a QB #1 it will likely cost them over $75 mill, maybe close to $80 mill. You think some team will pay close to that for Cassel?

The guarantees are probably going to be closer to 35 million though and that's pretty much all that really matters.

Scott Wright
12-29-2008, 03:21 PM

The $75 million number is meaningless, it's all about the guaranteed money.

Do I think it's possible that somebody will pay $25-30 million for a 26-year-old starting quarterback with Cassel's pedigree? Absolutely.

Two years ago Joey Porter, a 3-4 OLB, got $20 million guaranteed.

Halsey
12-29-2008, 03:28 PM
The $75 million number is meaningless, it's all about the guaranteed money.

Do I think it's possible that somebody will pay $25-30 million for a 26-year-old starting quarterback with Cassel's pedigree? Absolutely.

Two years ago Joey Porter, a 3-4 OLB, got $20 million guaranteed.

Well if someone will pay $25-$30 mill for Cassel and Stafford would get over the $35 mill that Ryan got, then yeah, Cassel will cost less than Stafford. Perhaps more than $10 mill less.

ironman4579
12-29-2008, 03:35 PM

I'd only like Cassel if McDaniel came with him and the Lions started running the Patriots offensive scheme. Otherwise I'd pass.

BamaFalcon59
12-29-2008, 03:36 PM
The guarantees are probably going to be closer to 35 million though and that's pretty much all that really matters.

Lol, unless you hit just about every incentive (spelling) like Matt Ryan.

CashmoneyDrew
12-29-2008, 03:38 PM
Lol, unless you hit just about every incentive (spelling) like Matt Ryan.

Yeah, but I highly doubt any rookie QB is going to come in to this Lions team and hit the types of incentives Ryan has.

radjohns
12-29-2008, 03:39 PM
RE: Smith

His weight was a reason to question his character right from the beginning and his character and work ethic is why I knew that he would never be a top five pick like some mocks project him to be. The guy has Leonard Davis written all over him.

Babylon
12-29-2008, 03:46 PM
RE: Smith

His weight was a reason to question his character right from the beginning and his character and work ethic is why I knew that he would never be a top five pick like some mocks project him to be. The guy has Leonard Davis written all over him.

I don't include weight, grades etc in the discussion about character but i hear what you're saying. To me he doesnt look like your protoypical OT but the results have been there. If he slides he'll probably be a good catch for some team.

Scott Wright
12-29-2008, 03:47 PM
By the way, I made a couple of calls and apparently the suspension does indeed have something to do with him being involved with an agent.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-29-2008, 03:48 PM
Lions should just do what they want to and take Crabs.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-29-2008, 03:54 PM
By the way, I made a couple of calls and apparently the suspension does indeed have something to do with him being involved with an agent.

I would say that reduces some concerns. The line between acceptable interactions with agents and not acceptable interaction is pretty thin and Saban might have just been trying to keep the violation on the down low with a vague suspension.

Menardo75
12-29-2008, 03:57 PM
Well if he is talking with an agent I would assume that he is going pro. Honestly if he is around good coaching then he will be a stud. All of the knocks on him are very correctable.

illmatic74
12-29-2008, 03:58 PM
Different sport but O.J Mayo still went third in a similar situation.Also Reggie Bush.

sbh15
12-29-2008, 04:00 PM
This is a whole lot of hullabaloo over signing an agent. As far as the reaction in terms of his draft status, not the suspension. People are acting like this one thing will cause him to slip behind Oher and Monroe or something like that.

TimD
12-29-2008, 04:03 PM
Cassel is every bit the risk Stafford or Bradford would be except that he will likely cost less. He's just as likely to be the next Scott Mitchell as he is to be the next Jake Delhomme. Plus, unlike Stafford or Bradford, Cassel can choose which team to sign with. Who's to say he won't sign with another team.

like the new york jets

illmatic74
12-29-2008, 04:04 PM
like the new york jetsThat would be the worst move ever.

ThePudge
12-29-2008, 04:05 PM

Has to be relatively good news as far as his draft stock is concerned. If it was a substance issue, or any violent issue, we'd have to seriously reconsider his draft stock. The fact that he has been involved with an agent may not be allowed, and may indicate his mind is elsewhere from the looming Sugar Bowl and matchup with Utah DE Paul Kruger, but considering the alternatives, and his draft stock, it can be understood to an extent. Still a Top 5 prospect, though I will agree he's far from a perfect. (Height, minor character concerns)

Zyro_1014
12-29-2008, 04:12 PM
wow, this may hurt them a little bit.

Larry121283
12-29-2008, 04:16 PM

Rumor has it he was talking to or has already signed with an agent, which is why he was "suspended" for the game.

take it fwiw.

Tell me I'm good, Scott...tell me I'm good.

IMO, the only thing keeping Smith from being the #1 pick isn't the off-the-field stuff or anything, its his height. There aren't too many legit, bonafide left tackles at 6'3"/6'4"...

However, I'd take him on Jacksonville any day of the week and twice on Sundays. Could use a mauler left tackle. Need to re-establish our power running game and Smith would be the perfect piece to implement into the system. Got to do what Carolina did...build around the power running game.

Scott Wright
12-29-2008, 04:20 PM
The fact that he was suspended for misdealings with an agent doesn't lessen the impact of this in my mind.

He is facing the same pressures that other top underclassmen are but they aren't getting suspended.

Why did he put his eligibility in jeopardy?

regoob2
12-29-2008, 04:21 PM
I dont mind his height it's his short arms that bother me.

Larry121283
12-29-2008, 04:26 PM
The fact that he was suspended for misdealings with an agent doesn't lessen the impact of this in my mind.

He is facing the same pressures that other top underclassmen are but they aren't getting suspended.

Why did he put his eligibility in jeopardy?
Let's be honest with ourselves, this isn't the first time nor the last time a prospect will have some sort of dealings with an agent at some point.

Honestly, if I am giving my opinion on the matter, the fact that the NCAA is breathing down the neck of the Crimson Tide to make sure they are on the straight and narrow - Ole Nick isn't exactly squeaky clean - is the reason behind the actual suspension moreover the actual act of talking with an agent. JMO, of course.

Do you think he would have gotten the suspension if 'Bama was playing in the National Championship Game? I don't.

illmatic74
12-29-2008, 04:26 PM

Why did he put his eligibility in jeopardy?But it doesn't really matter because in the NFL he is going to get paid anyway.

Scott Wright
12-29-2008, 04:31 PM
I agree that there are a lot of underclassmen who are having illegal dealings with agents. My question is why is Smith the only one who got caught?

Did he do something so reckless that they had no choice but to suspend him?

illmatic74
12-29-2008, 04:33 PM
I agree that there are a lot of underclassmen who are having illegal dealings with agents. My question is why is Smith the only one who got caught?

Did he do something so reckless that they had no choice but to suspend him?Isn't this similar to Reggie Bush and O.J Mayo in the NBA. Both still went high in the draft.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-29-2008, 04:33 PM
I dont mind his height it's his short arms that bother me.

I've never read anything about the length of his arms and they don't appear short when you watch him play. So do you have some sort of reference I don't?

Larry121283
12-29-2008, 04:38 PM

Did he do something so reckless that they had no choice but to suspend him?

My complete guess...probably.

This is Nick Saban we are talking about here. If the game were significant (not downplaying the Sugar Bowl, but this was a team with Nat'l Championship hopes not even a game ago) or if the transgression wasn't so blatant, my guess is Smith will still be playing in this game.

Scott Wright
12-29-2008, 04:40 PM
My complete guess...probably.

This is Nick Saban we are talking about here. If the game were significant (not downplaying the Sugar Bowl, but this was a team with Nat'l Championship hopes not even a game ago) or if the transgression wasn't so blatant, my guess is Smith will still be playing in this game.

I don't think they would take drastic action like this unless it was something pretty significant.

Think about it. This guy is their best player, an elite recruit who signed with them when the program was down, a local hero from the area.

They wouldn't risk alienating him if their hand wasn't forced.

Larry121283
12-29-2008, 04:45 PM
I don't think they would take drastic action like this unless it was something pretty significant.

Think about it. This guy is their best player, an elite recruit who signed with them when the program was down, a local hero from the area.

They wouldn't risk alienating him if their hand wasn't forced.
I agree...

The NCAA is never much further than a hop, skip, and jump away from Nick Saban, as his track record isn't exactly squeaky clean...which is why I have to think that Smith did something pretty reckless and out in the open, which forced Saban's hand.

However, I am still under the belief that even despite such a reckless act, IF Alabama was playing for the big one, ole Nick might have let it slide and dealt with it later. Just my opinion though, I'm not a big fan of Nick's character, granted.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-29-2008, 04:45 PM
Or unless they were afraid of this reaching the NCAA and losing scholarships as a result. I don't want to necessarily place all this on Smith, because, while he might have been less than brilliant in his dealings with an agent, the team has plenty of self-interests to protect that aren't entirely based on punishing one of their top players.

Scott Wright
12-29-2008, 04:46 PM
Saban has never been in any serious trouble with the NCAA to my knowledge...

Alabama has, but not Saban.

rfc17
12-29-2008, 04:47 PM
This would have been Smith's last game with the Tide regardless of suspension or not. Not having Smith play only hurts the Tide in this one game and frankly its not a huge deal if they lose.

Saban is probably looking out for the interest of his team and nothing more. And really I cant blame him. this one game isnt worth the possibility of a probation that could affect them for multiple years.

maybe Smith did something more stupid or blatant than you typically see with players and agents or maybe Saban is being extra careful. however, i dont think this will have much of an impact on his draft status.

energizerbunny
12-29-2008, 04:50 PM
the height isn't a huge deal because he is built so thickly in the lower body and has very long arms, that said he is currently my 3rd OTackle behind Jason Smith and Eugene.

The Otackles will not fall, simply for the reason that LT is the 2nd most important position in football. However with such a strong class It wouldnt surprise me to see him be on the outside of the top 15

Larry121283
12-29-2008, 04:55 PM
Saban has never been in any serious trouble with the NCAA to my knowledge...

Alabama has, but not Saban.

He hasn't...granted. However, while he is no Kelvin Sampson, he certainly is no saint, either. He has already been linked to some violations at 'Bama...although, granted, none serious. He was also linked to potential violations while at LSU and Michigan State, although, nothing really came from it. We'll truly never know if Dwayne Bowe was paid off ;)

Couple that with Bama's history, it isn't so far fetched.

Babylon
12-29-2008, 04:55 PM
the height isn't a huge deal because he is built so thickly in the lower body and has very long arms, that said he is currently my 3rd OTackle behind Jason Smith and Eugene.

The Otackles will not fall, simply for the reason that LT is the 2nd most important position in football. However with such a strong class It wouldnt surprise me to see him be on the outside of the top 15

I think we need to wait and see what juniors declare before we can say whether the OTs as a group will fall.

energizerbunny
12-29-2008, 05:01 PM
I think we need to wait and see what juniors declare before we can say whether the OTs as a group will fall.

Its going to require alot of talent at other positions for Otackles to fall, when you look at the immediate impact the previous years class has had in the league its pretty hard to pass over these top calibre players. Underclass won't cause anyone to fall, it will simply mean more Otackles will be selected in the first round.

Oline is very highly valued in todays NFL and alot of these Tackles can step in and contribute right away, this is why you hard ever see tackles drop in the draft.

SuperKevin
12-29-2008, 05:04 PM
Am I the only one who sees this as a big red flag? He, along with everyone else in college football, was aware of the rules regarding agents and he broke them anyway. Such blatant disregard for the rules and for his team in general would scare me just a bit. Who's to say he doesn't have the same attitude towards team meetings and curfews when he's a pro?

Babylon
12-29-2008, 05:05 PM
Its going to require alot of talent at other positions for Otackles to fall, when you look at the immediate impact the previous years class has had in the league its pretty hard to pass over these top calibre players. Underclass won't cause anyone to fall, it will simply mean more Otackles will be selected in the first round.

Oline is very highly valued in todays NFL and alot of these Tackles can step in and contribute right away, this is why you hard ever see tackles drop in the draft.

Not arguing your logic but look at the top 20 teams or so and tell me how many need a tackle. If Detroit goes with Stafford and Seattle goes with Crabtree or Jenkins the job openings become rather thin. If teams at the top think they can get a great O-lineman (include the Duke Robinsons and Alex Macks of the world)in the top of the 2nd round then teams may try to finesse their way throught the 1st couple of picks, i know i would. just my take.

Scott Wright
12-29-2008, 05:12 PM
Am I the only one who sees this as a big red flag?

I obviously do. :)

SuperKevin
12-29-2008, 05:14 PM
I obviously do. :)

Yeah, after I posted it I meant to say that you do too. I just can't believe the amount of people who are saying it's not a big deal because other people have done it. People have to realize that in a time where guys like Plaxico Burress and Pac-Man Jones are making headlines on a weekly basis that any kind of rule breaking is a bad thing.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-29-2008, 05:15 PM
Who's to say he doesn't have the same attitude towards team meetings and curfews when he's a pro?

Who's the say he does though? As far as we know, he hasn't had any problems with team meetings or curfews at Alabama and I don't think the NFL has any rules about interacting with agents once you're in the league.

I agree that this raises some questions, but this in no way offers any answers.

illmatic74
12-29-2008, 05:19 PM
Yeah, after I posted it I meant to say that you do too. I just can't believe the amount of people who are saying it's not a big deal because other people have done it. People have to realize that in a time where guys like Plaxico Burress and Pac-Man Jones are making headlines on a weekly basis that any kind of rule breaking is a bad thing.There is a complete differece between Andre Smith's situation and Pac Man's situation. Andre Smith has a similar situation to Reggie Bush and O.J Mayo.

locseti
12-29-2008, 05:21 PM
I'm glad Saban suspended him, now he will fall to Oakland. I'm pretty sure other elite prospects are having talks with agents but Saban is a self-indulgent prick who knows he can beat Utah without the services of his best player, therefore magnifying his performance as the head coach. I bet his "dealings with agents" weren't any more inappropriate than any other elite prospects, and I hope Smith comes out and says what really happened because you can't really take Saban at his word.

Babylon
12-29-2008, 05:25 PM
Am I the only one who sees this as a big red flag? He, along with everyone else in college football, was aware of the rules regarding agents and he broke them anyway. Such blatant disregard for the rules and for his team in general would scare me just a bit. Who's to say he doesn't have the same attitude towards team meetings and curfews when he's a pro?

I'm not sure if i see it as a red flag if it's Walter Jones or Joe Thomas(maybe a small red flag). With Smith i think there are a few other issues that makes this more of a story.

regoob2
12-29-2008, 05:25 PM
I've never read anything about the length of his arms and they don't appear short when you watch him play. So do you have some sort of reference I don't?
No reference just my peepers. It could be either short arms or a huge chest. DEs can get to his body.

Scott Wright
12-29-2008, 05:37 PM
Just to be clear, I don't think Andre Smith is a bad guy or anything.

I do, however, have concerns about whether he is mature enough and has the drive to push himself to be the best and maximize his potential.

Kind of the O-Line version of JaMarcus Russell for me.

Sniper
12-29-2008, 05:49 PM
I never understood why he was consistently being put in the Top 3 when he clearly is not athletic enough to be an elite LT at the next level. He can be a dominant RT but he'll always struggle against speed rushers. With so many teams moving to a 3-4 with fast edge rushers, Andre would be exposed at LT.

You know who else they said that about?

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/football/bob_blog/jakelong.jpg

Sniper
12-29-2008, 05:52 PM
I hope he drops to Philly's spot.

BamaFalcon59
12-29-2008, 05:53 PM
I think it is funny when people say Andre Smith is not athletic. He is extremely athletic. He just does not keep his weight down a lot of the time, and does not have ideal height for an offensive tackle.

CC.SD
12-29-2008, 06:03 PM
Conditioning issues are really the last thing you want to hear about an elite OT prospect. That's a way bigger flag to me than being short or stupid.

That said, here's hoping he falls to the Bolts at 16. What a RT he'd be opposite Marcus McNeill.

Babylon
12-29-2008, 06:22 PM
Conditioning issues are really the last thing you want to hear about an elite OT prospect. That's a way bigger flag to me than being short or stupid.

That said, here's hoping he falls to the Bolts at 16. What a RT he'd be opposite Marcus McNeill.

Short and stupid isnt exactly something to build your resume on.

D-Unit
12-29-2008, 07:11 PM
What's the big deal? He's still being picked in the Top 5.

LonghornsLegend
12-29-2008, 07:24 PM
Yeah, after I posted it I meant to say that you do too. I just can't believe the amount of people who are saying it's not a big deal because other people have done it. People have to realize that in a time where guys like Plaxico Burress and Pac-Man Jones are making headlines on a weekly basis that any kind of rule breaking is a bad thing.

To some teams yes this will be a big deal, so you won't see him playing for the Colts anytime soon but talent trumps character everytime, especially when your talking about a top 5 talent, and an incident that isn't really shedding light on his "character" as far as we know, if it was his dealings with an agent I don't see that anywhere near a huge concern.

While I agree some teams will feel that way, he's too good to not go in the top 10, because more then half of NFL teams don't really care about these issues if you can play.

OJ Mayo had a way bigger uproar and entire OTL segments on some of the rules he had broken, but he was still a lottery pick and now that he's about to be rookie of the year nobody even cares anymore and it all gets forgotten.

DcmRulz
12-29-2008, 07:29 PM
i'm reading a few things about his suspension, and some people (namely Chris Low, ESPN.com) think he was suspended for dealing with NFL agents. any truth to this rumor?

regoob2
12-29-2008, 07:33 PM
I think it is funny when people say Andre Smith is not athletic. He is extremely athletic. He just does not keep his weight down a lot of the time, and does not have ideal height for an offensive tackle.
I agree. He has stupid lateral quickness especially for his size.

Sniper
12-29-2008, 07:36 PM
I agree. He has stupid lateral quickness especially for his size.

Yeah. It's crazy.

84-MwAbj7uw

8PgdAQkq4gI&feature=related

Mouse
12-29-2008, 11:09 PM
The way you guys are talking, you make it seem like he failed a drug test or was arrested

He talked to an agent, people drafting won't care

Scott Wright
12-29-2008, 11:15 PM
It's not necessarily a big deal in and of itself but it just raises more questions about his maturity and commitment.

He'll still probably be a Top 5 pick, but this is definitely a mark against him.

SuperKevin
12-29-2008, 11:17 PM
It will definately make the interview process at the Combine a lot more important

stupidquestions
12-29-2008, 11:41 PM
Alabama suspended Andre Smith for the Sugar Bowl:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/ncaa/12/29/alabama.smith.ap/index.html

Probably not a big thing but certainly doesn't help his cause.

Definitely brings those questions about his maturity and commitment back to the forefront.

He's still going in the top 5 anyways. And his suspension was for talking with an agent. That's not a big deal.

energizerbunny
12-29-2008, 11:57 PM

Couldn't agree more, its kinda of a case of people judging a book by its cover.

Smith's arm length and lower body girth/lateral quickness/feet are so exceptionally good that it almost totally negates him being only 6'3