PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Search

derza222
12-29-2008, 03:15 PM
Obviously this is going to be pretty huge for our team so I figured it could be worth a thread. Should be interesting to say the least, especially with all of the years we took to install the 3-4...does that lock us into grabbing a 3-4 guy? I believe we're going to need new coordinators as well so those can go in their two, but obviously HC is going to come first and be the priority. So post any news, potential candidates, etc in here...

Cowher and Spagnuolo have been getting a lot of talk early. Coach Chin would be fantastic IMO, supposedly he doesn't want to coach yet but this isn't a bad situation and Woody may open the checkbook. Spags has obviously done great things with the Giants but is more of a 4-3 guy and I wonder how we'd transition. Brian Billick has been brought up by some people, and I think Rex Ryan is worth a look as well.

'cuse-213
12-29-2008, 03:43 PM
Spags is my first choice. I dont think it would be to hard for our D to switch to a 4-3. All we would need is DT depth, and a fast coverage LB.

derza222
12-29-2008, 04:23 PM
Spags is my first choice. I dont think it would be to hard for our D to switch to a 4-3. All we would need is DT depth, and a fast coverage LB.

Where do you think guys like Pace, Coleman, Harris, etc that are better fits for a 3-4 end up?

This from rotoworld:

"The National Football Post's Michael Lombardi believes that Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer has a "great chance" to be the team's next head coach."

I really hope this guy's wrong because I'd be incredibly pissed.

'cuse-213
12-29-2008, 04:30 PM
Where do you think guys like Pace, Coleman, Harris, etc that are better fits for a 3-4 end up?

The bench :x Besides Harris. Could we move him to strongside OLB, what was he in college?

derza222
12-29-2008, 04:33 PM
The bench :x Besides Harris. Could we move him to strongside OLB, what was he in college?

That was a thought of mine for Harris. Coleman I could see getting rotational work and may not need to start but we would need to find some spot for Pace because he's getting a ****load of money...maybe SLB but that would be a possible spot for Harris. The switch also would leave us without a legit option at WLB and presumably MLB if Harris doesn't fit there.

jmess15
12-29-2008, 04:59 PM
That was a thought of mine for Harris. Coleman I could see getting rotational work and may not need to start but we would need to find some spot for Pace because he's getting a ****load of money...maybe SLB but that would be a possible spot for Harris. The switch also would leave us without a legit option at WLB and presumably MLB if Harris doesn't fit there.

How bout Gholston..he was a 4-3 end in college no? Maybe we can finally get something out of him...

derza222
12-29-2008, 05:05 PM
How bout Gholston..he was a 4-3 end in college no? Maybe we can finally get something out of him...

Oh he's certainly a better fit for the 4-3 than the 3-4 IMO but you don't really know what you have with him either way...Pace you know is solid in the 3-4 especially and Coleman while unspectacular is a starter and would be even worse in the 4-3. There's just a lot of openings in the 4-3 (WLB and DT stick out in my mind) and question marks on fits for players making some decent coin. Some guys you're unsure about how they'd transition (Harris) and others you know they're going to have a pretty hard time (Thomas, Pace, Coleman). Jinx and Ellis will be fine and Gholston could be better but honestly couldn't be much worse than he was this year even in the 3-4.

Also, ESPN reporting Cowher's going to chat with us about the job.

josh07039
12-30-2008, 08:39 PM
In terms of personnel, I think a few of our guys are better suited for the 4-3.

Jenkins- He was dominant for much of the season at the nose. However, if he were in the 4-3, and wasn't taking on two blockers regularly, it is conceivable that he wouldn't have worn down as much down the stretch.

Harris-While he has been great in the 3-4, his coverage hasn't been too good. There have been a lot of plays where he has been beaten badly for big plays/tds.

Gholston-Even though I believe he could become a very good player at 3-4
olb. I think he is probably better suited to be rushing the passer as a DE. Also, if he were a de in 4-3 he would probably produce faster rather than having to learn as much.

Ellis- I think he is equally good in either system. In the 3-4 he is big enough to be a good all around DE. In the 4-3 he is a big DE that can get sacks, but is not an elite pass rusher.

Kerry Rhodes- Im not really sure whether it's the system or not, but this season he has gotten a good amount of tackles, but he doesn't seem to be making impact plays like he used to. I'm not sure, but it seems like he hasn't been up in the box making plays or rushing the passer in the 3-4. It is possible it's because of this system or because that was just how he was used.

With all that said, there are still a few guys that are not nearly as good a fit in the 4-3. Pace, Thomas, Coleman, etc. However, I think we still would have a good D with only a few personnel tweaks in a 4-3. That is also because I believe switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 is easier on a player than the other way around.

Honestly, with a core D of Jenkins(if motivated and not too fat), Harris, Rhodes, Revis, and some young guys as they develop(Lowery, Gholston?,etc) our D should be at least solid in whatever D we run, as long as we have a good coordinator.

ams
01-02-2009, 08:24 PM
I'd be happy with hiring Spags. I think it's still a bunch of speculation, and at first I was so completely against it because we wasted 3 years switching to the 3-4 and trading our best player away (Vilma) because of it, but I actually wouldn't be too mad. I mean Spags runs as close to a hybrid defense as you can run, constant blitzing. I think our personnel was chosen for a 3-4 but I think could still succeed.

DB's should stay the same for the most part, DB success shouldn't vary based on the 3-4/4-3 TOO much.

Pace - becomes our Kiwanuka
Barton - has played in a 4-3 before
Gholston - moves to DE becomes our Osi
Bryan Thomas - comes off the bench as an End, not much of a big player anyways regardless of the system
Ellis - stays, becomes more productive and a bullrusher like Tuck but not as successfuly
Jenkins - he's the key, I think a lot of his injury woes could be prevented in a 4-3 although he was still awesome, either system he's fine I think
Coleman - shifts over to DT, he'd be a back but provide depth, ala Robbins/Coefield/Alford We'd need to find another STARTING DT this off season though
David Harris - what happens with him? obviously not strong in coverage, but does that make him better for a 4-3 or 3-4? could someone tell me? also, what about MLB does he not do well to be in a 4-3? I mean as far as I know, if a 3-4 MLB can be a 4-3 MLB but a 4-3 MLB is not necessarily a 3-4 MLB. Am I wrong?

jetvilma51
01-03-2009, 07:46 PM
I heard that Spagnola wants to go somewhere where he can be with his good friend, GM of the Eagles Tom Heckert and that looks like it could be in Denver because the Broncos are looking for a GM and a Coach

FlutiesDropKick
01-04-2009, 12:24 PM
Jets were also apparently interested in the coach from my school, BC's Jeff Jagodzinski. I love Jagz, he has the personality of a good NFL head coach and think he could be great in that regard but he game in as an offensive guru and after Matt Ryan left he had some issues though the players take just as much blame. One thing that might make people here a little upset is the propensity for Paul Hackett-esque play calling at some points though if the Jets do get him one can only hope that fell on OC Steve Logan. All in all I have to say Jagz WILL be an NFL coach soon, but I'm not sure about now, he has the NFL pedigree and his lackluster recruiting so far may make the NFL a more likely destination.

derza222
01-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Lots of new guys coming into play, Russ Grimm with Arizona and Billick along with Jagz. I still like Spags and Ryan and I'll be pissed if we hire B-Schott.

josh07039
01-04-2009, 01:43 PM
I don't want a guy from the college ranks. There is risk hiring anyone to their first coaching job, but i would rather have a guy that has worked in the league before. Obviously a young assistant coach is risky as well, but I would rather Spags, Ryan, etc over Jagodzinski.

jetvilma51
01-05-2009, 09:42 PM
I wouldnt mind keeping around Shotty around as long as he is not the Head Coach. I would prefer to bring in a deffensive minded Head Coach like a Rex Ryan or a Spagnola because Sutton has really got to go

TimD
01-05-2009, 10:38 PM
I think B-Shott is the wrong move but I'm not against keeping him. He's bright and shows potential. I'm really excited to see who we decide on

FlutiesDropKick
01-06-2009, 06:23 PM
I think not hiring Schott as HC is consensus as is the fact that Sutton is a worthless use of space on the sideline. As much as a small part of me wants Jagz cuz I'm a BC guy realistically I'd like a Ryan or even Raheem Mooris of TB

thetedginnshow
01-06-2009, 08:53 PM
I think we should take a page out of the book of some of the successful turnarounds this year and hire an under the radar coach and go for the right guy rather than the big name. However, if we do go after a big one, the only person I'd be satisfied with would be Ryan.

derza222
01-07-2009, 11:07 AM
I think we should take a page out of the book of some of the successful turnarounds this year and hire an under the radar coach and go for the right guy rather than the big name. However, if we do go after a big one, the only person I'd be satisfied with would be Ryan.

Anybody in mind?

thetedginnshow
01-07-2009, 03:39 PM
Anybody in mind?

Well I have people I like, but I wouldn't really want to say them because 1) I don't really know how they'd do as a NFL HC so I wouldn't promote it as such, and 2) I don't want to get particularly excited about someone unless the Jets have shown interest.

But I think it's funny that Jags got fired. I would like to see him come on as our OC.

derza222
01-07-2009, 05:32 PM
Well I have people I like, but I wouldn't really want to say them because 1) I don't really know how they'd do as a NFL HC so I wouldn't promote it as such, and 2) I don't want to get particularly excited about someone unless the Jets have shown interest.

But I think it's funny that Jags got fired. I would like to see him come on as our OC.

Fair enough. And I'd definitely be happy with Jags as our OC as well.

BroadwayJoe10
01-08-2009, 12:07 AM
As much as I like Jags, I wouldn't want him as our OC. If favre does retire, I want as much consistency with our offense as possible, so that Clemens or Ratliff could take the reigns. If one of those two were to start and have to learn a whole new playbook, than I don't think they'd be getting fairly evaluated again.

I was pretty bummed that Mangini got Rob Ryan to be his DC, I was hoping that if we landed Rex we would somehow be able to get Rob as our DC.

derza222
01-08-2009, 12:54 AM
As much as I like Jags, I wouldn't want him as our OC. If favre does retire, I want as much consistency with our offense as possible, so that Clemens or Ratliff could take the reigns. If one of those two were to start and have to learn a whole new playbook, than I don't think they'd be getting fairly evaluated again.

I was pretty bummed that Mangini got Rob Ryan to be his DC, I was hoping that if we landed Rex we would somehow be able to get Rob as our DC.

Agreed to an extent on the bold, but at the same time I wasn't particularly happy with our offense this year. It'd be nice to retain consistency but I'm not a huge Schottenheimer fan and the guy's gotten attention from other teams in the league anyway so who knows how long he sticks around if he's going to try to be a head coach. I guess that goes for anybody at that position, but I really just didn't like our playcalling sometimes this year.

And definitely agreed on the second part, pretty much word for word what you said.

nyjets5125
01-14-2009, 07:27 PM
idk how credible this is but...

Rex Ryan A Lock To Coach Jets?
14th January, 2009 - 10:15 am

New York Daily News - It is believed that if the Ravens lose to the Steelers in the AFC Title game this weekend, that the Jets could name Rex Ryan their head coach next week.

Ryan is currently the defensive coordinator of the Ravens.

New York's coaching search has come down to Ryan, Giants' defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, Jets' offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and Cards' assistant head coach Russ Grimm, according to sources.