PDA

View Full Version : Sean Weatherspoon and others...

ThePudge
12-29-2008, 09:20 PM
Most of you know about Sean Weatherspoon, Linebacker for Missouri. His 138 Tackles were good for 7th in the country, he is decorated with All-Big Twelve honors. He is also draft-eligible and put his name in to the NFL advisory committee.

Some list him a 6'1 235, others at 6'2 245. Watching him the past few weeks, I'd expect something right in the middle of that. What's much more impressive than the guy's size, is his recognition skills and speed. He is a great tackler and has shown to be a nice blitzer and solid in coverage. This all makes him an extremely interesting prospect.

Most see him as a Late 1st-Mid 2nd round prospect. After watching him tonight, and a few other games this season, I don't think that is all too accurate. Tonight (against Northwestern) he has been all over the field, with right around 10-11 tackles in this first half alone. He is the best player on the field when the Wildcats have the ball, and it isn't even close.

If he declares, which there's a good chance he does, I expect him to work out very well. His upside, to me, is the second best linebacker in this draft. Right now, I will say Mid-Late first round, but I expect to see him a bit higher. Buffalo sits at 11 in April's draft, and when all is said and done, I think that would be right around his high point. Somewhere between 15 and 25 for now though sounds right to me. A player worth watching.

Other notes from today's action:

--- Jeremy Maclin is a rich man's Ted Ginn and then some. I am an Ohio State fan, I loved Ginn and I didn't consider it a large reach when the Dolphins selected him with the 9th Overall pick in 2007. However, Maclin is better in just about every phase of the game. Everyone knows about his straight-line speed and return ability. However, most ignore his route-running, hands, surprising short-area quickness, and even his blocking.

Maclin is far from unpolished, which Ginn was and still is to an extent. He does the little things and the Tigers try anything they can to get the ball into his hands. He does the dirty work not typically expected out of a guy with his vertical ability. He blocks downfield and is not afraid to make the tough play in traffic. To me, it is an ongoing internal battle whether he or Michael Crabtree is truly the better prospect. I believe Crabtree will be the higher drafted prospect, but Maclin is moving up my board in a hurry. A top 10 talent unlikely to be drafted that high.

--- On the subject of Wide Receiver, I might as well mention Kenny Britt, who had a good day today an even better season. Britt has the size, speed, and play-making ability to be a first day draft pick in the 2009 NFL Draft. His short-area quickness and physicality could come into question, but there's no question about his raw talent. Britt is not exactly polished, but in a weak WR class, he could conceivably crack the late first round. Still, to me he looks like more of an early-mid 2nd Round pick. Could be a slightly faster, a bit less physical Malcolm Kelly. It's very hard to read bigger finesse receivers like Britt, but his talent is evident and he will benefit from a weak senior crop of Wide Receivers.

--- Corey Wootten clearly has a lot of athletic ability and he has that length/athleticism combination that coaches and scouts drool over. When he is put is a purely physical contest though, I don't trust him yet. His frame could easily pack more weight and it'd be interesting to see him with another ten pounds of muscle on him. At 6'7 280, Wootten is a first round pick no doubt about it.

He is raw, but comes with plenty of potential. His technique and strength particularly need work, but he has those certain attributes you simply can't teach. His athleticism, length, and intelligence are going to get him some serious looks in a fairly average, thin DE class. Mid 1st-Early 2nd as it is right now. However, Wootten just suffered what looks to be a fairly serious knee injury. His right knee will be something to keep an eye on as it looked to be at the least an MCL tear.

--- William Moore has done very little to impress me this season and I'm not so sure he's a first round pick come April. His hips and change of direction skills in coverage, along with his instincts and by association, consistency, have to be analyzed very closely. He has plenty of physical ability, but I'm not so sure anymore that he is a Safety even. Reminds me of Thomas Davis a bit, who was a S/LB tweener around draft time.

His physical ability and career production will keep him from falling all too far, but I'm not sold at this point on him as a first round pick at Safety. The Senior Bowl should show us his read and recognition skills closely under a microscope which should be interesting. I am more impressed with Rashad Johnson and Louis Delmas as football players, but I still would predict Moore to go ahead of each due to his physical talent and success throughout his career. An Early-Mid 2nd Round pick in my opinion right now.

... And smaller observations

--- Styker Sulak, Defensive End from Missouri, is not an impressive player physically, with very little bulk and strength along with a lack of elite athleticism. Still, Sulak is a football player. A solid pass-rusher with a nice first step, who works his butt off on the field. He also plays special teams and could be an asset there. Could be a solid backup OLB in a 3-4 system or DE in a Tampa 2, along with a special teams player. A late round option, but an interesting player.

--- I've never been all too impressed by Evander "Ziggy" Hood, and I find him a rather overrated prospect at this point. Some have him projected Late 2nd-Mid 3rd. Personally, as a player, I see him in the Late 3rd-Mid 4th Round area. Is a solid player, but shows no stand-out qualities. Has started to come on in the second half after being almost completely blanked in the first two quarters.

--- Chase Coffman has not stood out, but that has been a good thing. He is doing his job. He has not stood out in the blocking game, as he just hasn't been beaten too badly, though on the other hand the running game has been unable to get much so it is hard to crown him as a good blocker. He has displayed his good hands, and has ran crisp routes for a Tight End and should develop into at the very least a solid receiving TE at the next level. Needs to add bulk and strength though to be considered a full-time TE prospect. A 3rd Round pick in my opinion.

giantsfan
12-29-2008, 10:22 PM
I don't think his upside is higher than Spikes's outside of in a cover 2 scheme that relies heavily on linebackers to drop back into zones. Spikes is atheltic enough to do it but he's very aggressive and better when his first step is forward.

ThePudge
12-29-2008, 10:35 PM
I don't think his upside is higher than Spikes's outside of in a cover 2 scheme that relies heavily on linebackers to drop back into zones. Spikes is atheltic enough to do it but he's very aggressive and better when his first step is forward.

I have been lucky enough to see a lot of Spikes and a good deal of Weatherspoon. I have never been as impressed with a college linebacker's individual performance as I have been tonight and I watched plenty of AJ Hawk, my favorite LB prospect of the modern era. I do not have the final stats, of course not yet (4th Quarter), but if Weatherspoon is not in on the tackle, he's standing over the ball carrier or receiver by the time he'd trying to get up. He's been playing with tremendous energy and has displayed the athleticism, instincts, and recognition skills to be a solid first round pick.

One of this draft's most athletic and most productive linebackers. I like him a lot.

Solomon
12-30-2008, 12:44 AM
I really like Weatherspoon too and feel that he is a fantastic fit for a cover-2. Non pass rushing LBs tend to slide on draft day though and this class looks very LB heavy so I could see Weatherspoon sliding into the second. That being said I feel (and have felt all season) that he deserves to be a first rounder. He should run very well and his stock should only go up after the combine.

You're right Moore has not been as impressive this year as last. I think his change of direction has more to do with the weight he gained this past off season though. I think bulking up affected him negatively and if slimmed down to the 215 lb range he would get back his COD and quickness. I also think he is better off as a SS as opposed to playing FS. His best games in 2007 were at SS after Pig Brown was injured.

jbeans187
12-30-2008, 12:50 AM
I appreciate ur analysis, i agree on Spoon. He has been an absolute monster this year, every game he comes to play and has been amazing. I am not sure of his 40 but i have heard his bench reps are in the upper 30's so that would help his stock at the combine. I think he would be a late 1st or early 2nd round pick. I think he should stay and solidify a first round grade for next year. Also a sidenote/observation... spoon is probably 6-6'1 235. No way he is 6'2 245. But he is an impressive athlete i have seen him slam down quite a few times playing basketball at the rec. When you see someone with his build get up like that it's impressive.

Maclin too, his actual receiving skills seemed to be underrated. I played against him in high school and now seeing him at Mizzou he is just a great all around receiver he has better hands and ball skills than people realize and pretty good leaping ability. Of course his best trait is his acceleration and speed, that punt return tonight and the td he scored against OU this year are perfect examples that show he is a burner. Maclin needs to go, he has no reason to stay, easy first rounder.

I like your comparison of Thomas Davis to Moore, very good. Moore hasnt been healthy this year but i agree he needs to shed some pounds, he seemed to be very stiff this year. Also the way he has been used has not helped at all, but it has been a disappointing year for him compared to last year. I think if Moore can have a good combine and senior bowl he will still be a first round pick. If not he might slip into the second

Sulak has been another disappointment this year. I dont think he is athletic enough to be a 34 olb. He has good timed speed that will help him get a shot but he doesnt have a frame to add bulk and is not very fluid. Before the season i thought he could be a 3rd or 4th rounder but now i am thinking he will go undrafted. He hasnt done much this year he had a good game tonight but where has it been the rest of the year.

I am not sure what i think about Hood. He has all the measurables and abilities to be a great DT but he never has a huge impact. This year he was double teamed a lot and was neutralized. But every practice report i read talked about how he dominated. I think a post season bowl will allow us to see what he can do. Probably rounds 4-7

The only two reasonable knocks on Coffman as a prospect are timed speed and the question of his in line blocking. He has the frame and demeanor to block but has never been asked to. Other that that he has amazing hands, ball skills, leaping ability, and body control. He is also a solid route runner. He has been amazing this year. 2nd round

Number 10
12-30-2008, 01:05 AM
Missouri is full of players that were vastly overrated at the beginning of the season.

1- Coffman is not going to be an every down TE in the pros. How often was his hand in the ground this season? Less than 10%. He can catch the ball, so he can be servicable in certain scenarios but he doesn't warrant a top 100 pick.

2- People thought Chase Daniel was going to be drafted back in August. Not a chance.

3- Moore was THE safety stud heading into the year. His hips are stiffer than Roy Williams' and his lack of hustle from start to finish is alarming. At best, a mid 2nd round pick.

4- Maclin and Weatherspoon are studs though, probable 1st round picks.

ThePudge
12-30-2008, 01:22 AM
I appreciate ur analysis, i agree on Spoon. He has been an absolute monster this year, every game he comes to play and has been amazing. I am not sure of his 40 but i have heard his bench reps are in the upper 30's so that would help his stock at the combine. I think he would be a late 1st or early 2nd round pick. I think he should stay and solidify a first round grade for next year. Also a sidenote/observation... spoon is probably 6-6'1 235. No way he is 6'2 245. But he is an impressive athlete i have seen him slam down quite a few times playing basketball at the rec. When you see someone with his build get up like that it's impressive.

Maclin too, his actual receiving skills seemed to be underrated. I played against him in high school and now seeing him at Mizzou he is just a great all around receiver he has better hands and ball skills than people realize and pretty good leaping ability. Of course his best trait is his acceleration and speed, that punt return tonight and the td he scored against OU this year are perfect examples that show he is a burner. Maclin needs to go, he has no reason to stay, easy first rounder.

I like your comparison of Thomas Davis to Moore, very good. Moore hasnt been healthy this year but i agree he needs to shed some pounds, he seemed to be very stiff this year. Also the way he has been used has not helped at all, but it has been a disappointing year for him compared to last year. I think if Moore can have a good combine and senior bowl he will still be a first round pick. If not he might slip into the second

Sulak has been another disappointment this year. I dont think he is athletic enough to be a 34 olb. He has good timed speed that will help him get a shot but he doesnt have a frame to add bulk and is not very fluid. Before the season i thought he could be a 3rd or 4th rounder but now i am thinking he will go undrafted. He hasnt done much this year he had a good game tonight but where has it been the rest of the year.

I am not sure what i think about Hood. He has all the measurables and abilities to be a great DT but he never has a huge impact. This year he was double teamed a lot and was neutralized. But every practice report i read talked about how he dominated. I think a post season bowl will allow us to see what he can do. Probably rounds 4-7

The only two reasonable knocks on Coffman as a prospect are timed speed and the question of his in line blocking. He has the frame and demeanor to block but has never been asked to. Other that that he has amazing hands, ball skills, leaping ability, and body control. He is also a solid route runner. He has been amazing this year. 2nd round

I like Coffman, but I think this a draft relatively strong with Tight Ends (Gresham, Pettigrew, and Jared Cook being the headliners) as well as the the fact that I can't identify all too many teams that really need a receiving TE. Philadelphia will be in the market for one, and Buffalo/Atlanta could both use one despite their respective schemes. I compare Coffman to a more reliable, but leaner Tony Scheffler. I think Coffman's stock will change at the Senior Bowl when we get to see him block on an island consistently. I'll go 3rd Round for now and use Scheffler/Ben Utecht as my comparison.

Hood is like most talented DT's. The talent is evident, but where is the effort on a consistent basis. He can go two quarters without crossing the line of scrimmage, have a huge 3rd Quarter, and then disappear again for the entire 4th. Personally 4th-5th sounds best with a chance to crack into the late 3rd.

Sulak looked great today and flashed enough to instill hope for his future plans. He was negated a week (or two) ago by Phil Loadholt and Trent Williams, two very good OT's but his effort looked consistent. Sulak got better as the night progressed and finally gave Weatherspoon (who was a one man show in the first half) some help. Will be an interesting late round prospect. I am very interested to see how he performs in post-season play and workouts because his build says 3-4 OLB, yet he is much better moving in a straight line than getting physical or moving laterally. It'll be interesting.

I heard a comparison somewhere for Weatherspoon to Jon Beason. I don't agree with the comparison all that much as far as playing styles are concerned really, however, I think their size/speed and draft stock will have been very similar when all is said and done. If I'm in the market for a WLB, I give Weatherspoon a hard look, even if it is as high as 11 to Buffalo, who happen to use a Cover-2 as Solomon suggested. I was as impressed as I've ever been by a college defensive player tonight. Not a flawless game, but an excellent one. It was very easy to follow the ball when Northwestern had it, you simply had to look at Weatherspoon and you'd find it. They credited him with 17 Tackles (8 Solo) 2.5 TFL 2 QBH 0.5 Sacks and 1 BrUp. One could argue Weatherspoon had a few more tackles than that if they watched the game, he was simply everywhere.

ThePudge
12-30-2008, 01:31 AM
Missouri is full of players that were vastly overrated at the beginning of the season.

1- Coffman is not going to be an every down TE in the pros. How often was his hand in the ground this season? Less than 10%. He can catch the ball, so he can be servicable in certain scenarios but he doesn't warrant a top 100 pick.

2- People thought Chase Daniel was going to be drafted back in August. Not a chance.

3- Moore was THE safety stud heading into the year. His hips are stiffer than Roy Williams' and his lack of hustle from start to finish is alarming. At best, a mid 2nd round pick.

4- Maclin and Weatherspoon are studs though, probable 1st round picks.

I'm going to have to disagree with the first statement. Though you stated a fact by saying Coffman has not been asked to block all that much this season, and tonight, I think you are undermining his talents as a receiver. His hands are as reliable as I've seen, he'll catch the ball in traffic, he'll go up to get the ball, and he runs good routes. He is statistically the best receiving TE in college football history. He is a bit lean, and would most likely struggle initially in a run-heavy offense, but he has the frame to add strength and the intelligence and tools to develop fine technique as a blocker. His best fit is in the slot, where many teams use their TE's. The Philadelphia Eagles are the top fit for Coffman. They use LJ Smith, or try to use Smith, in similar ways that the Tigers use Chase. A good player worth a Top 100 selection, even Top 75, but I am waiting to see him block at the Senior Bowl to say more than that. Very reliable target with enough size, athleticism, and upside to potentially see the draft's first day.

As for Chase Daniel, I wouldn't be very surprised to see someone take a shot on him in the 6th-7th Round. Size is below adequate and he has benefitted from a spread, but throughout his career, his accuracy, arm strength, and mobility have proved more than good enough. Not the best game tonight, and he got down on himself a bit, but he is capable of making NFL throws and performed consistently the past three years against top competition. If he were 4 inches taller, he's a first day pick. Somewhat comparable to the Ravens Troy Smith believe it or not.

diabsoule
12-30-2008, 02:04 AM
I have not been impressed with William Moore's play at all. Maybe it has to do with the weight he's gained but he has poor change of direction skills, frequently takes poor angles, and doesn't seem that quick.

I fail to see how he's a first round pick.

wicket
12-30-2008, 03:55 AM
I must add though that it is kinda easy to get tackles on that mizzou defense cause nobody else will do it. I must say though that weatherspoon has looked as good as i have seen him play and if he comes out i wouldnt mind the saints getting him after they traded down a bit.

coordinator0
12-30-2008, 08:56 AM
This might sound a bit off, but does anybody think Coffman compares to Todd Heap? Their skill-sets seem eerily similar to me, and I was just wondering if anybody else thought the same. Of course, he'd be a poor-man's Heap.

AkiliSmith
12-30-2008, 09:04 AM
I've always though Weatherspoon was similar to DeMeco Ryans

BPhilb
12-30-2008, 10:11 AM
Weatherspoon announced after the game last night that he is coming back next season.

MidSouthRam
12-30-2008, 10:15 AM
William Moore has been nicked up most of the season and probably shouldn't have even been playing with that rib injury. He's cost himself some $$$ staying in school, IMO.

jnew76
12-30-2008, 10:23 AM
Weatherspoon announced after the game last night that he is coming back next season.

Here is a link to the story... I am really surprised... Although nothing is set in stone until the 15th.

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/tiger-tracker/tiger-tracker/2008/12/sean-weatherspoon-coming-back-jeremy-maclin-unsure/

Geo
12-30-2008, 10:28 AM
As for Chase Daniel, I wouldn't be very surprised to see someone take a shot on him in the 6th-7th Round. Size is below adequate and he has benefitted from a spread, but throughout his career, his accuracy, arm strength, and mobility have proved more than good enough. Not the best game tonight, and he got down on himself a bit, but he is capable of making NFL throws and performed consistently the past three years against top competition. If he were 4 inches taller, he's a first day pick. Somewhat comparable to the Ravens Troy Smith believe it or not.
Daniel isn't even close to Troy Smith imo, he's miles away. Smith was a successful quarterback in a pro offense, he could make reads and had a good arm. He had leadership.

Pretty much everything Daniel isn't, who in a college spread offense fails at the slightest hint of defense.

Race for the Heisman
12-30-2008, 11:37 AM
Daniel isn't even close to Troy Smith imo, he's miles away. Smith was a successful quarterback in a pro offense, he could make reads and had a good arm. He had leadership.

Pretty much everything Daniel isn't, who in a college spread offense fails at the slightest hint of defense.

Couldn't be more correct. Smith was lacking height and had a few maturity questions as a prospect. His stock fell because Florida gang-raped him in the National Championship and he was just okay in the Senior Bowl. Daniel has so many more flaws its ridiculous (although I will admit that in terms of situation I might have compared them in the past).

ThePudge
12-30-2008, 05:05 PM
Couldn't be more correct. Smith was lacking height and had a few maturity questions as a prospect. His stock fell because Florida gang-raped him in the National Championship and he was just okay in the Senior Bowl. Daniel has so many more flaws its ridiculous (although I will admit that in terms of situation I might have compared them in the past).

My basis for the comparison wasn't so much playing styles or offensive scheme. I meant the two struggled with similar things and may end up with very similar stocks, right in that late 5th-early 7th range. Like Smith, Daniel is vertically challenged, right around that 6'0 mark. Both are overconfident with their feet and escapability, but each have a bit. Each have trouble with defenders in their face. Both can make every NFL throw. Smith was likely ahead in terms of reading defenses, but Daniel has an edge character and intelligence wise.

I don't think Daniel will ever be an effective NFL QB, but I think people are being too harsh on him after a somewhat uncharacteristic game. Daniel didn't necessarily have trouble when a defender was in his face, as he was able to use his feet. He simply lacked confidence and emotionally seemed out of the game. He overthrew what could have been a few touchdowns and did not look sharp. Not a guy I like really to play from behind, as he seems easily rattled, but a good football player nonetheless who could hear his name called late on the second day.

MarioPalmer
12-30-2008, 05:37 PM
Spoon I like a lot, but with out a doubt he is a Cover 2 OLB, as for Moore, all I have to say is watch the first game of the year Illi vs. Zou and you'll see Benn destroy Moore. Moore has a perfect angle to wreck Benn and set the tone for the defense and Benn brushes him off like a nat and let me make this clear, Moore tried his damndess to smash him and he was all but brushed off like a little pee wee playing against a pro.

keylime_5
12-30-2008, 05:46 PM
The difference between Maclin and Crabtree as a WR prospect is not nearly as close as you think. However Maclin going 8th overall to Jacksonville is very very realistic. He is a top 15 pick unless team needs of those teams drops him down near 20. I have heard Witherspoon would go as high as the 2nd or 3rd round if he comes out.

keylime_5
12-30-2008, 05:49 PM

Plus Daniel's arm is very below average compared to other NFL QBs. That was very apparent last night. His accuracy is overrated too, thanks to his system. I don't expect Daniel to get drafted with his size, he can't be more than 5'10" or 5'11".

Babylon
12-30-2008, 06:10 PM
This might sound a bit off, but does anybody think Coffman compares to Todd Heap? Their skill-sets seem eerily similar to me, and I was just wondering if anybody else thought the same. Of course, he'd be a poor-man's Heap.

I see some resemblances although Todd is probably a little more of a traditional TE. Coffman was slowed a little at the end of the year with a foot unjury and probably is looking like a 2nd round pick right now. I think he's probably more of an H-back at the next level but i would ask who is going to cover him. I think he's an interesting player.

Weatherspoon looked great against Northwestern but there is probably too many better LBs for him to overtake to get into round 1.