PDA

View Full Version : Some Cool Stats...

Garrett Barnes
12-29-2008, 11:46 PM
Hey people, I am new to the forum but I thought it might be cool to share some stats that I tested on some of this drafts running backs. I chose 7 random runs from some film I found and tested how long it took each player to run after they touched the ball to the line of scrimmage after averaging each run. It is to test which player has a quicker pop to the hole. It's cool because some of these players are usually not considered as fast as others but are quicker to the line of scrimmage. They were all inside runs so there are no stretches.

1.3 Chris Wells 1.08 Rashad Jennings

1.02 Javon Ringer 1.22 Andre Brown

1.41 Knowshon Moreno

1.28 James Davis

1.5 Jeremiah Johnson

1.32 C.J Spiller

1.24 Arian Foster

Just thought you might want to see that.

detroit4life
12-30-2008, 12:00 AM
Hey people, I am new to the forum but I thought it might be cool to share some stats that I tested on some of this drafts running backs. I chose 7 random runs from some film I found and tested how long it took each player to run after they touched the ball to the line of scrimmage after averaging each run. It is to test which player has a quicker pop to the hole. It's cool because some of these players are usually not considered as fast as others but are quicker to the line of scrimmage. They were all inside runs so there are no stretches.

1.3 Chris Wells 1.08 Rashad Jennings

1.02 Javon Ringer 1.22 Andre Brown

1.41 Knowshon Moreno

1.28 James Davis

1.5 Jeremiah Johnson

1.32 C.J Spiller

1.24 Arian Foster

Just thought you might want to see that.

if accurate its a cool stat

energizerbunny
12-30-2008, 12:01 AM
this is totally useless, it doesn't account for the design of the play and where the hole is.

If this was relevant and playing RB was all about drawing up a run and telling the rb which hole to run to full speed guys like Chris Henry would be pro bowlers.

giantsfan
12-30-2008, 12:04 AM
this is totally useless, it doesn't account for the design of the play and where the hole is.

If this was relevant and playing RB was all about drawing up a run and telling the rb which hole to run to full speed guys like Chris Henry would be pro bowlers.

Also discounts how long it took the Oline to open the holes, the benefits of being patient, how often guys cut back and a host of other things. Not even mentioning the small sample size of 7 runs.

CashmoneyDrew
12-30-2008, 12:04 AM
A Chris Henry mention. Indeed.

Garrett Barnes
12-30-2008, 12:13 AM

I never said it was relevant. It won't affect whether a person is drafted or not. It is simply to help us decide on a persons "pop to the hole". We use that term a lot and this is hard cold facts on who does it better.

energizerbunny
12-30-2008, 12:15 AM
ahh yah its a cool stat I guess.

Race for the Heisman
12-30-2008, 12:16 AM
I never said it was relevant. It won't affect whether a person is drafted or not. It is simply to help us decide on a persons "pop to the hole". We use that term a lot and this is hard cold facts on who does it better.

Yes, hard stats without context. Interesting, but as said, ultimately irrelevant.

giantsfan
12-30-2008, 12:16 AM

but this doesn't measure "pop to the hole" because he it doesn't account for what type of plays were run, how fast holes opened up, a runner's patience waiting for those holes and how much a running game is dependent on cutting back.

Solomon
12-30-2008, 12:22 AM
but this doesn't measure "pop to the hole" because he it doesn't account for what type of plays were run, how fast holes opened up, a runner's patience waiting for those holes and how much a running game is dependent on cutting back.

Yeah, it's not a coincidence that Chris Wells and Knowshon Moreno have two of the worst times on the list yet are probably the two backs with the best vision and have also been more productive that most of the others.

wicket
12-30-2008, 04:20 AM
how suprising a true inside runners wins this (oh wait he has to walk less far). From a more statistical standpoint though it must be said that if the samplesize was like 50 with the same results I'm quite sure a bunch of the differences would be significant.

Garrett Barnes
12-30-2008, 10:56 AM
how suprising a true inside runners wins this (oh wait he has to walk less far). From a more statistical standpoint though it must be said that if the samplesize was like 50 with the same results I'm quite sure a bunch of the differences would be significant.

thats sort of the idea. it is to find out who pops to the hole the quickest and who is the best inside runner.

Bigburt63
12-30-2008, 11:07 AM
if the runs could somehow be set to some standards..meaning if it was almost the exact same play, hitting the same gap and such, it could be useful...but almost near impossible to make it universal to mean anything

keylime_5
12-30-2008, 11:51 AM
Also discounts how long it took the Oline to open the holes, the benefits of being patient, how often guys cut back and a host of other things. Not even mentioning the small sample size of 7 runs.

plus it's really really hard to get an accurate time by hand if you're using 10ths and 100ths of a second.