PDA

View Full Version : Any speed backs in the Chris Johnson/CJ Spiller mold in rd 2 and beyond?

Me Likey Rookies
12-30-2008, 12:07 AM
If Spiller declares, I think his combine workout puts him in the first round. Is there anyone else with crazy burst that will be available after the 1st round?

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
12-30-2008, 12:10 AM
Antone Smith, he's fast but he kinda sucks. But I think he'll be a much better pro than college player if given the chance. Our OL at FSU has been terrible every year he's been here.

EDIT: I think Marlon Lucky could be a Steve Slaton type of guy.

Solomon
12-30-2008, 12:19 AM
Wyoming's Devin Moore. One hell of a playmaker with speed to burn. Will contribute on returns too. Listed at 5-10, 191 lbs he's small but could run in the 4.3 range and climb the rankings after the combine.

2010 might be the draft if you're looking for speed backs; Noel Devine, Kendall Hunter, Joe McKnight, Jahvid Best and Craig Cooper will all be eligible.

Race for the Heisman
12-30-2008, 12:20 AM
Tyrell Sutton, Northwestern, probably around the fifth.
Devin Moore, Wyoming, again, fifth.
Marcus Thigpen, Indiana, seventh.

jbeans187
12-30-2008, 01:00 AM
Tyrell Sutton, Northwestern, probably around the fifth.
Devin Moore, Wyoming, again, fifth.
Marcus Thigpen, Indiana, seventh.

I ve heard Thigpen is a burner. Anyone with a scouting report? I thought he started off at cb?

Larry121283
12-30-2008, 08:42 AM
Marcus Thigpen will be drafted, but more as a returnman over a position, per se.

Not sure why Antone Smith is being mentioned in this mold, he is more of a small pounder with some speed.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
12-30-2008, 09:20 AM
Not sure why Antone Smith is being mentioned in this mold, he is more of a small pounder with some speed.

The dude has 4.4 speed, he just never gets a chance to show it off because he has no vision and or the line doesn't create holes for him.

jnew76
12-30-2008, 09:44 AM
Wyoming's Devin Moore. One hell of a playmaker with speed to burn. Will contribute on returns too. Listed at 5-10, 191 lbs he's small but could run in the 4.3 range and climb the rankings after the combine.

He was the first guy to come to mind. I think he could end up being a better "value" than Spiller. I have similar grades on them, but think you might be able to draft Moore a couple rounds later.

BuddyCHRIST
12-30-2008, 09:52 AM
The dude has 4.4 speed, he just never gets a chance to show it off because he has no vision and or the line doesn't create holes for him.

The line run blocked pretty damn well this year, his problem is lack of vision and he runs with absolutely no authority or desire to break tackles. One guy always brings him down and he runs falling down, lack of balance I guess. With his build he should be bouncing off guys, but he doesn't. But he will be a workout warrior, maybe 4.3 speed and will bench rep alot.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
12-30-2008, 10:12 AM
I was impressed by Sutton last night.
(albeit against Missouri's D)

Smokey Joe
12-30-2008, 10:39 AM
Sutton would have been a round 2-3 prospect if not for the fact he was injured the past 3 years in a row. He could be the next Brian Westbrook, if he can actually stay healthy.

Race for the Heisman
12-30-2008, 11:16 AM
Antone Smith has no prospects in my eyes. Guy just can't really play. He reminds of Mike Hart in that while he's been a solid player (and in Hart's case exceptional) in college, he skill set doesn't translate that well (and I actually kind of liked Hart). I would say the peak of his upside is Correll Buckhalter or Kevin Faulk, with a greater probability of out of the league in two years.

Me Likey Rookies
12-30-2008, 10:21 PM
Any Oregon fans that have watched a lot of Jeremiah Johnson? Can this guy be a player in the pros? Who does he compare to?

Race for the Heisman
12-30-2008, 11:44 PM
Any Oregon fans that have watched a lot of Jeremiah Johnson? Can this guy be a player in the pros? Who does he compare to?

Duckseason in particular (I think that's the name), yes, and I've been agonizing over a comparison for a while and I'm stumped.

etk
12-31-2008, 01:58 PM
Aaron Brown, TCU, other than the ones previously mentioned.

Graig Cooper is not a speed back like Johnson or Spiller. He has good speed but he's more of an elusive lateral guy instead of a 1-cut speed guy. He needs to get more aggressive with running downfield and keeping his feet.

Race for the Heisman
01-02-2009, 03:46 PM
One more who's been expected to declare but no news yet: Mike Goodson, Texas A&M.

Mr. Stiller
01-02-2009, 04:11 PM

2010 might be the draft if you're looking for speed backs; Noel Devine, Kendall Hunter, Joe McKnight, Jahvid Best and Craig Cooper will all be eligible.

Devin Moore is one of my favorite players in this draft.

djp
01-02-2009, 05:41 PM
Dexter McCluster is Darren Sproles in an Ole Miss uniform