Race for the Heisman
12-30-2008, 02:00 AM
...'cause I can:

1) Stafford, Matthew; Georgia* (1)
2) Bradford, Sam; Oklahoma** (1)
3) Davis, Nate; Ball State* (1-2)
4) McCoy, Colt; Texas* (1-2)
5) Sanchez, Mark; Southern Cal* (1-2)
6) Bomar, Rhett; Sam Houston State (2-3)
7) Snead, Jevan; Ole Miss** (2-3)
8) Tebow, Tim; Florida* (2-3)
9) Freeman, Josh; Kansas State* (3)
10) Harrell, Graham; Texas Tech (3-4)
11) Williams, Isaiah; Illinois* (4)
12) Skinner, Riley; Wake Forest* (4)
13) Lewis, Thaddeus; Duke* (4)
14) Smith, Rusty; Florida Atlantic* (4-5)
15) White, Pat; West Virginia (4-5)
16) Bacher, CJ; Northwestern (5)
17) LeFevour, Dan; Central Michigan* (5)
18) Clark, Darryl; Penn State* (5-6)
19) Tuitma, Willie; Arizona (6)
20) Reesing, Todd; Kansas* (6)
21) Brown, Nathan; Central Arkansas (6)
22) Hall, Max; Brigham Young* (6)
23) Robinson, Zac; Oklahoma State* (6-7)
24) Crane, Chris; Boston College (6-7)
25) Teel, Mike; Rutgers (6-7)
26) Wilson, John Parker; Alabama (6-7)
27) Cantwell, Hunter; Louisville (7)
28) Locker, Jake; Washington** (7)
29) Harper, Cullen; Clemson (7-UDFA)
30) Daniel, Chase; Missouri (7-UDFA)
31) Ganz, Joe; Nebraska (7-UDFA)
32) Hoyer, Brian; Michigan State
33) Boltus, Jason; Hartwick
34) Davis, Kellen; Indiana*
35) Pinkey, Patrick; East Carolina
36) Willy, Drew; Buffalo
37) Carpenter, Rudy; Arizona State
38) Perriloux, Ryan; Jacksonville State
39) Painter, Curtis; Purdue
40) Glennon, Sean; Virginia Tech
41) Boeckman, Todd; Ohio State
42) Ponder, Christian; Florida State**
43) Grothe, Matt; South Florida*
44) Dick, Casey; Arkansas
45) Longshore, Nate; Cal

Haven't Seen Enough to Rank With Confidence:
Hiller, Tim; Western Michigan
Brandstater, Tom; Fresno State
Johnson, Brian; Utah
Holbrook, Chase; New Mexico State
Johnson, Jerrod; Texas A&M
Johnson, David; Tulsa

So I did some math (seriously...) and an average of 13 quarterbacks have been drafted each year since the 2002 expansion. I've given played draftable grades down to 31 because that's how far I had to go to reach 13 seniors. This is my personal view of the players as prospects, not who is most likely to pan out (although I think that subconsciously impacts my rankings). I'm sure I've forgotten a few players, so any glaring omissions that could be pointed out would be nice.

wicket
12-30-2008, 04:08 AM
sure cullen harper has been amazingly dissapointing this season but to rate him under JPW chris crane is to much, idem for hunter cantwell. Good job however.

the decider13
12-30-2008, 10:12 AM
I remember when people thought Harper and Painter would be first round talents. Look how far they have fallen haha

BTW...Colt McCoy is coming back to Texas next year so he doesn't need to be on here.

Race for the Heisman
12-30-2008, 10:56 AM
sure cullen harper has been amazingly dissapointing this season but to rate him under JPW chris crane is to much, idem for hunter cantwell. Good job however.

Maybe. Crane I think has the size and athletic ability to be an intriguing guy in the later rounds. Harper on the other hand has been hurt (bad thing for a quarterback), is really only a one year starter, and threw his team/coach under the bus at the first available opportunity. Even if you hate a guy I don't think that's what I want from a guy on my team, let alone a quarterback.

I remember when people thought Harper and Painter would be first round talents. Look how far they have fallen haha

BTW...Colt McCoy is coming back to Texas next year so he doesn't need to be on here.

I'm sure that's probably the case and I'm pretty sure most of the juniors won't come out, but I'm still listing them for reference and on the odd chance that something extraordinary happens.

Hokie's#1
12-30-2008, 11:01 AM
CJ Bacher is terrible. Juice Williams isn't an NFL QB.

the decider13
12-30-2008, 11:14 AM
I'm sure that's probably the case and I'm pretty sure most of the juniors won't come out, but I'm still listing them for reference and on the odd chance that something extraordinary happens.

Yeah I was just letting you know that Colt made his announcement already.

Race for the Heisman
12-30-2008, 11:53 AM

Disagree on Bacher. Has good mechanics and, a very good arm, a very quick release, and good accuracy. His size is not great but he's a great developmental prospect who could potentially come in and do more.

Juice has phenomenal physical upside and has looked like a capable passer about half the time and headless chicken the other half. I'd gamble on a potential franchise quarterback like him before drafting probable career backups like some of the guys lower on the list. That said, he is probably a little too high. Maybe above Pat White would be better.

Macarthur
12-30-2008, 12:05 PM
I think Josh Freeman has a chance to be a good NFL QB.

ThePudge
12-30-2008, 12:07 PM
Juice has phenomenal physical upside and has looked like a capable passer about half the time and headless chicken the other half. I'd gamble on a potential franchise quarterback like him before drafting probable career backups like some of the guys lower on the list. That said, he is probably a little too high. Maybe above Pat White would be better.

I'm with you on Juice Williams. He's had a roller coaster of a career and it would be a real learning process for him to go to the next level and play QB, but there's no denying his upside. He throws a pretty ball. Tons of arm strength, no doubts about his mobility, he's even very accurate when he's on. He is extremely inconsistent, but he has plenty of NFL tools. His flaws, while needing serious work, can be corrected more so than a player with no arm strength, or is 6'0.

After watching his first game of the season, against Missouri, I thought this guy could be in the first round mix at QB at one point or another. Of course, I didn't know at that point Mizzou's pass defense would be one of the worst in the country, and that he would be wildly inconsistent for the rest of the season.

I'm fine with where you have him and I agree with the logic.

Babylon
12-30-2008, 02:14 PM
Not sure i would have Davis and McCoy ahead of Sanchez and Snead.

YAYareaRB
12-30-2008, 02:19 PM
You should take a longer look at Utah's Brian Johnson. He's an ace!

fischbowl
12-30-2008, 02:46 PM
Drew Willy is about 35 spots below where he should be

bored of education
12-30-2008, 02:48 PM
I <3 Sneed and Stafford and Willy and

SuperKevin
12-30-2008, 03:06 PM
Tim Hiller is a solid QB who would probably end up in the top 12-13. I think he'll emerge as the best QB in the MAC next year and be Big Ben Part 2.

BBIB
12-30-2008, 06:04 PM
Im just surprised someone has Pat White listed as a QB albeit not in the top dozen

Race for the Heisman
12-30-2008, 06:32 PM
Im just surprised someone has Pat White listed as a QB albeit not in the top dozen

I put him there (as in where I ranked him) as a quarterback prospect; he'd be somewhere different as a wide receiver.

dabul-master
12-30-2008, 09:55 PM
Whats with the hate on Chase Daniels?

SuperKevin
12-30-2008, 10:09 PM

Might have something to do with the fact that he's only like 5'11"

SeanTaylorRIP
12-30-2008, 10:11 PM

Short. No poise whatsover, not a strong arm. Can be slow with his reads. Not always accurate. Graham Harrell is a far greater prospect. He could actually excel in a west coast offense, Daniels I think is destined for the CFL or Arena league.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
12-30-2008, 10:44 PM
Tim Tebow and Darryl Clark are grossly EDIT: underrated

illmatic74
12-30-2008, 10:46 PM
Tim Hiller is a solid QB who would probably end up in the top 12-13. I think he'll emerge as the best QB in the MAC next year and be Big Ben Part 2.of the first round?

RaiderNation
12-30-2008, 11:02 PM
1 Sam Bradford top 5
2 Mark Sanchez top 5
3 Matt Stafford top 10
4 Colt McCoy late 1st to mid 2nd
5 Josh Freeman 2-3

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
12-30-2008, 11:08 PM
1 Sam Bradford top 5
2 Mark Sanchez top 5
3 Matt Stafford top 10
4 Colt McCoy late 1st to mid 2nd
5 Josh Freeman 2-3

I fail to see how Colt McCoy is a better pro prospect than Tim Tebow.

Race for the Heisman
12-30-2008, 11:17 PM

What everyone else said.

Tim Tebow and Darryl Clark are grossly overrated.

Tebow has the intangibles and physical attributes to be amazing. He's incredibly raw but I'll stand by my ranking. Clark as a fifth or sixth and you think he's overrated? Or were speaking in general?

of the first round?

I think he meant top 12-13 quarterbacks, hence --> draft worthy.

I fail to see how Colt McCoy is a better pro prospect than Tim Tebow.

So Tebow's overrated, but McCoy is really not good either? McCoy has size, arm, intangibles, athleticism, character, and intelligence. He's not perfect, but there's a lot to like with no glaring issues, unlike someone like Tebow (release).

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
12-30-2008, 11:21 PM
Tebow has the intangibles and physical attributes to be amazing. He's incredibly raw but I'll stand by my ranking. Clark as a fifth or sixth and you think he's overrated? Or were speaking in general?

So Tebow's overrated, but McCoy is really not good either? McCoy has size, arm, intangibles, athleticism, character, and intelligence. He's not perfect, but there's a lot to like with no glaring issues, unlike someone like Tebow (release).

LOOL I'm sorry, by overrated I meant underrated =P, my bad.

Staubach12
12-30-2008, 11:26 PM

He's obviously a situational pass-rusher.

Race for the Heisman
12-30-2008, 11:27 PM
LOOL I'm sorry, by overrated I meant underrated =P, my bad.

Ah, that explains a bit.

TheGM
12-31-2008, 03:53 PM
I would put Drew Willy ahead of Tebow and Daniels.

zaqdaddy
12-31-2008, 11:42 PM
Drew Willy is going to be a really good NFL quarterback if he ever gets a chance. I think he is one of the best quarterbacks in the draft. I think Rhett Bomar is overrated. When he was at Oklahoma, he was never anything positive for them. For Sam Houston State, their best opponent was Kansas and he threw 3 picks against them this year. If an NFL team takes a chance on him, they will end up waisting a draft pick, probably a second or third round pick too.

Texas Homer
12-31-2008, 11:48 PM
1) Stafford, Matthew; Georgia
2) Bradford, Sam; Oklahoma
3) Tim Tebow; Florida

Hokie's#1
01-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Where is Chase Clement QB from Rice?

Zyro_1014
01-02-2009, 08:11 PM
1) Stafford, Matthew; Georgia
2) Bradford, Sam; Oklahoma
3) Tim Tebow; Florida

wow thats bad lol.

Race for the Heisman
01-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Where is Chase Clement QB from Rice?

Like I said, I knew wouldn't get everyone first time around. I guess I'd put him around 20 based on what little I've seen. He could be very good but I think what they do at Rice helps him a bit. He also has his athleticism to fall back on which won't be so great a crutch in the NFL and he's been throwing to Dillard for as long as he's been starting. I guess that works both ways, but he's got John Casey, too. I could see him becoming an okay starter somewhere, but I think as a prospect the other guys are just more deserving.

Macarthur
01-08-2009, 04:25 PM
What about the Reilly kid from W. Mich?

SuperKevin
01-08-2009, 04:57 PM

Tim Hiller is the Western Michigan QB. I like him. Big guy at 6'5" like 225 with a great TD to INT ratio this year up until his bowl game.

Babylon
01-08-2009, 05:06 PM

There's a Kevin Reilly at Cal and a Mike Reilly at Central Washington.

SKim172
01-09-2009, 05:42 PM
I'm wondering why Brian Johnson from Utah doesn't get more attention. Haven't seen much of him, but he's looked good when I have seen him and he seems productive. A little on the small size, but not tiny. What's the deal with him?

hagy34
01-09-2009, 06:30 PM
Sanchez has to be ahead of Nate Davis. He hasn't impressed at all in the games I've seen him play.

MenOfTroy
01-10-2009, 12:22 AM
I really, really disagree with those rankings. For starters, Nate Davis is too high and Mark Sanchez is too low. Chase Daniel is way better than #30, as well.

ThatThereCarGoin200mph
01-10-2009, 01:03 AM
these rankings are terrible obviously you arent in touch with potential nfl qb's in 2009, pitiful...

toonsterwu
01-10-2009, 08:22 AM
I haven't followed enough to make that long of a list, but if I had to guess on value right now (not how I like them), with the acknowledgment that there's a long way to go

*I think Colt McCoy will stay, so I'm not going to include him

My Top 5

1. Sam Bradford - I'm not a big fan ... but if I remove my biases, I think he's probably at the top. There are some idiotic Brady comparisons right now (Not saying anything negative about Bradford with that comment, but rather, let's not compare the kid to one of the top QB's in the game and a potential HOF just yet). That said, in 2005, I thought Alex Smith was the top QB. Sam Bradford isn't Alex Smith in terms of mobility, but their understanding of the passing game is perhaps on a similar level. Like Smith, Bradford is going to need some time to have a shot, with a strong running game being something that will really help.

2. Matt Stafford - A lot of Jay Cutler comparisons, and physically, fine, I buy it. Does he have Cutler's leadership, Cutler's feel, coming out of college? Based on the field, I'm not sure. He could very well rise back up with strong board and interview work.

3. Mark Sanchez
4. Nate Davis
5. Josh Freeman

Whistler6
01-10-2009, 11:14 AM
I don't know nearly enough as scouts or experts do, but I just don't think any of the highly touted QB's will amount to anything in the NFL. I think Stafford is heavily overrated and some team will big time over pay when they draft him. Same with Bradford.

I think Sanchez could be solid, but ahh ihhh ehhh.

To me, I think Rhett Bomar is the dark horse in the class who has a chance to be an NFL starter in the league down the road.

Idk, Idk, Idk.. I'm thankful I am not the Lions, Chiefs, or any other of the teams who will be drafting a QB early.

Babylon
01-10-2009, 11:42 AM
1. Stafford
2. Sanchez
3. Bradford
4. Tebow
5. Freeman
6. Bomar

underscore
01-10-2009, 01:39 PM
We'll see how good Clark is next year when he has 3 new WRs and 3 new OL to work with.

Babylon
01-10-2009, 01:49 PM
We'll see how good Clark is next year when he has 3 new WRs and 3 new OL to work with.

Who's Clark?

Don Vito
01-10-2009, 01:53 PM
Darryl Clark from Penn State

Babylon
01-10-2009, 01:59 PM
Darryl Clark from Penn State

Thanks, i actually thought he was referring to Clark Kent aka Superman. Glad to get that straightened out.

toonsterwu
01-10-2009, 03:39 PM
I don't know nearly enough as scouts or experts do, but I just don't think any of the highly touted QB's will amount to anything in the NFL. I think Stafford is heavily overrated and some team will big time over pay when they draft him. Same with Bradford.

I think Sanchez could be solid, but ahh ihhh ehhh.

To me, I think Rhett Bomar is the dark horse in the class who has a chance to be an NFL starter in the league down the road.

Idk, Idk, Idk.. I'm thankful I am not the Lions, Chiefs, or any other of the teams who will be drafting a QB early.

I agree with this post. I really do. I think the juniors are getting hyped because the seniors are so bad, and because the top of this draft is bad. To be honest, my favorite QB likely to go moderately high in this draft is the raw Josh Freeman.

Whistler6
01-10-2009, 04:59 PM
I agree with this post. I really do. I think the juniors are getting hyped because the seniors are so bad, and because the top of this draft is bad. To be honest, my favorite QB likely to go moderately high in this draft is the raw Josh Freeman.

Word. On the Josh Freeman thoughts. It's going to be a lesser hyped guy who makes his name over these overrated younger guys.

toonsterwu
01-10-2009, 08:28 PM
Word. On the Josh Freeman thoughts. It's going to be a lesser hyped guy who makes his name over these overrated younger guys.

Well, I wouldn't go that far. I think between Stafford/Bradford/Sanchez (assuming they come out), that 1 of them will likely be alright. If I had to guess, it would be Stafford, but he has enough warts on him. and there are still some folks that suggest Josh Freeman will work his way into the first. He reminds me of a raw Big Ben coming out, a little bit (of course, there are probably a dozen other comparisons I could make).

illmatic74
01-10-2009, 08:42 PM
Well, I wouldn't go that far. I think between Stafford/Bradford/Sanchez (assuming they come out), that 1 of them will likely be alright. If I had to guess, it would be Stafford, but he has enough warts on him. and there are still some folks that suggest Josh Freeman will work his way into the first. He reminds me of a raw Big Ben coming out, a little bit (of course, there are probably a dozen other comparisons I could make).He is just as raw as Flacco was last year. We have to remember though no one expected immediate results from Flacco.

stephenson86
01-10-2009, 08:46 PM
I think Josh Freeman has a chance to be a good NFL QB.

i want tennessee to take him late in the second, i think it would be a great fututre investment, he could start in 2 years time.