PDA

View Full Version : Tiquan Underwood

scottyboy
12-30-2008, 11:17 AM
Right now I think he may be a 5th rounder or so after a down year, especially compared to his kickass junior year. Quick, shifty, but not too big and has had problems with drops, BUT, one thing I noticed last night was his play on special teams. He was on punt coverage and downed a punt beautifully(refs called him in the endzone, but it was a terrible call) and recovered a blocked punt. Does his ability on special teams and the fact a star senior WR is on special teams help his stock? and will it affect him on draft day to go a little higher? This is mainly for Scott: How hard do NFL scouts look at things like this?

obviously I know good special teams play and such is good and can't hurt, just wondering how much it will help my boy Tiquan.

PACKmanN
12-30-2008, 11:21 AM
I think he goes in the 5th-6th because like you said he could be an ace on ST and still has some upside to be developed.

scottyboy
12-30-2008, 02:16 PM
yea, my main question i think really only Scott can answer about how hard NFL scouts pay attention to/value his talent on special teams along with his awesomeness at WR

bored of education
12-30-2008, 02:37 PM
Detroit should draft him number one ovrall.

Ahh the Detroit drafting a WR in the 1st round joke never gets old!

Giantsfan1080
12-30-2008, 05:24 PM
yea, my main question i think really only Scott can answer about how hard NFL scouts pay attention to/value his talent on special teams along with his awesomeness at WR

We drafted David Tyree in the 6th round for his special teams ability.

scottyboy
12-30-2008, 06:48 PM
We drafted David Tyree in the 6th round for his special teams ability.

yea, that's a good point. Plus I think Tiquan is a better reciever than Tyree, so I think he could sneak into round 4.

Jonny
12-30-2008, 06:49 PM
Underwood has a good combo of size and speed going for him.

I don't even think he has bad hands. The drops were mainly due to him being rail thin. It was a mental thing, he kept expecting to get leveled.

I'd say 5-6 too. He has recovered a little because he hasn't dropped many passes in the second half of the season. Courtney Greene has recovered too, he looked awesome vs. Louisville and NC State.

bigbluedefense
12-30-2008, 06:51 PM
i liked him a lot last year. him and Greene fell off hard this year.

i wouldn't mind a mid rounder on him though. i have a mancrush on Kenny Britt though. he gives me Jordy Nelson like boners.

Giantsfan1080
12-30-2008, 09:57 PM
i liked him a lot last year. him and Greene fell off hard this year.

i wouldn't mind a mid rounder on him though. i have a mancrush on Kenny Britt though. he gives me Jordy Nelson like boners.

Get in line on the Kenny Brit bandwagon. He was giving Scotty and I boners for a very long time now haha.

scottyboy
12-30-2008, 10:00 PM
Get in line on the Kenny Britt bandwagon. He was giving Scotty and I boners for a very long time now haha.

hahah oh damn right he was!

but there's always room for BBD!!!

He's so good, and he freaking makes sense for us to pick him. It's rare that happens. I mean we could use him and Greene(if Butler walks). MAKE IT HAPPEN JERRY!!!!

Giantsfan1080
12-30-2008, 10:01 PM

He's so good, and he freaking makes sense for us to pick him. It's rare that happens. I mean we could use him and Greene(if Butler walks). MAKE IT HAPPEN JERRY!!!!

Greene definitely re-upped his stock with the end of the season he had.

josh07039
12-30-2008, 10:11 PM
Here I come into the fray. I'll start off with my opinions of Underwood and his stock and give my opinion of a few other Rutgers guys too.

Underwood-I think he may go higher than everyone thinks. Apparently he has raced Tim Brown in practice and has beaten him. Look at Donnie Avery, his speed made him get drafted first out of all wrs. I think his success and the success of smallish wrs like eddie royal and desean jackson may change the league view of smaller guys. As for his role in the pros, he could be a slot guy along with a special teams weapon. If he runs as fast as he is capable, he could go in the third.

Courtney Greene-The bowl game was a highlight film showing teams what he is capable of. Even though he had a disappointing senior season, he has shown his skills over and over again. If he performs well at the combine, 3rd-4th.

I feel bad for Westerman, he had a shot at getting taken late if not for the injury.

Britt-OMGZ OMGZ. FAST RUNNING=potential first. LOVED HIM SINCE I FIRST SAW THAT TOOTHY GRIN AS A FRESHMAN.

Giantsfan1080
12-30-2008, 10:19 PM
Keep an eye out for Malast. For some reason I think he might get drafted in the 7th, if not I bet a team that takes a shot at him as a UDFA and will be happy they did.

josh07039
12-30-2008, 11:39 PM
Keep an eye out for Malast. For some reason I think he might get drafted in the 7th, if not I bet a team that takes a shot at him as a UDFA and will be happy they did.
Forgot about him. I agree 100%. I thinks hes one of those guys that people find reasons not to want(speed, size, etc). However, if he gets a shot will be productive. He has done nothing but tackle people every times he gets on the field.

ManOverboard
12-31-2008, 02:10 AM
Did any of you go to Birmingham? I was there and it was incredible.

Jonny
12-31-2008, 06:49 AM

Malast had a great year. He won't get drafted because he struggled last year (I think a lot of that was covering for Munoz, who was horrible in the middle). This year, playing next to D'Imperio (who rules), he was great. Malast is better than Renkart, who is on the Jets' practice squad. Actually, I think Malast can be a workout warrior. I've seen him cover WRs at times, he could be in that 4.5-4.6 range for his 40 yard dash.

Tverdov is my sleeper. Foster couldn't play DE because he's too short. Tverdov is 6'4, 270. That makes him a perfect DE at the next level. On any other team he plays DE, and could put up decent sack numbers. Guy is a player, plain and simple. Won't be drafted because of the position switch, but he deserves a chance. Foster started as a rookie despite not being drafted. Tverdov wasn't as good in college, but is the better prospect.

Giantsfan1080
12-31-2008, 08:43 AM
Malast had a great year. He won't get drafted because he struggled last year (I think a lot of that was covering for Munoz, who was horrible in the middle). This year, playing next to D'Imperio (who rules), he was great. Malast is better than Renkart, who is on the Jets' practice squad. Actually, I think Malast can be a workout warrior. I've seen him cover WRs at times, he could be in that 4.5-4.6 range for his 40 yard dash.

Tverdov is my sleeper. Foster couldn't play DE because he's too short. Tverdov is 6'4, 270. That makes him a perfect DE at the next level. On any other team he plays DE, and could put up decent sack numbers. Guy is a player, plain and simple. Won't be drafted because of the position switch, but he deserves a chance. Foster started as a rookie despite not being drafted. Tverdov wasn't as good in college, but is the better prospect.

I wasn't sure about Tverdov because as you said I'm not sure what position he'll play. Foster got lucky the Colts needed him because they might be the only team in the NFL that loves undersized quick DT's like Foster.

I agree with everything you guys said about Malast. D'Imperio is the man and has helped Malast play his position better. Can't wait to see Abreu out there more next year.

eaglesalltheway
12-31-2008, 08:55 AM

I've been on Britt for a while, ask any Eagles fans. I know I'm a rival team's fan scotty, but I do pull for the Scarlet Knights and I have been a fan of Britt for a long time, but do you think you could find it in your heart to let a rival on your bandwagon... ?

Giantsfan1080
12-31-2008, 08:58 AM
Did any of you go to Birmingham? I was there and it was incredible.

I missed out. Sure it was definitely a great time. Have to make it to one of these bowl games eventually.

scottyboy
12-31-2008, 09:35 AM

me only concern with Tverdov is his lack of speed. He's an excellent player with hustle, size and talent, but he's got DT speed and looking to play DE. PERHAPS, he could sneak on somewhere as a 3-4 DE. I could see that happening. I think Malast will catch on somewhere, and that D'Imperio will be another name we're talking about draft day next year. With a good senior season, he could shoot up to rounds 4-5 area IMO

Giantsfan1080
12-31-2008, 10:03 AM
me only concern with Tverdov is his lack of speed. He's an excellent player with hustle, size and talent, but he's got DT speed and looking to play DE. PERHAPS, he could sneak on somewhere as a 3-4 DE. I could see that happening. I think Malast will catch on somewhere, and that D'Imperio will be another name we're talking about draft day next year. With a good senior season, he could shoot up to rounds 4-5 area IMO

We might be talking about Davis as a Round 1 pick next year. Rutgers is going to become O-Lineman U with the type of big bodies Schiano has and is bringing in here.

Jonny
01-01-2009, 01:05 AM
Only round 4-5? Aren't you supposed to be the giant homer around here? That's a floor, not a ceiling.

scottyboy
01-01-2009, 09:21 AM
Only round 4-5? Aren't you supposed to be the giant homer around here? That's a floor, not a ceiling.

haha yes that's a bit low I know, but he'll need to keep up this seasons play next year which may drop off due to Malast graduating. With another season like this than most definately round 2-3 right there. I realisticly see him going early-mid 3rd next year

Giantsfan1080
01-01-2009, 11:49 AM
haha yes that's a bit low I know, but he'll need to keep up this seasons play next year which may drop off due to Malast graduating. With another season like this than most definately round 2-3 right there. I realisticly see him going early-mid 3rd next year

He'll have Abreu next to him which won't be bad.

Jonny
01-01-2009, 12:13 PM
Don't forget Lowery. Kid is one of the fastest LBs out there. I've heard strongside LB is a tossup between Munoz and Abreu. Unfortunately, Munoz is a Schiano favorite.

scottyboy
01-01-2009, 12:16 PM
Don't forget Lowery. Kid is one of the fastest LBs out there. I've heard strongside LB is a tossup between Munoz and Abreu. Unfortunately, Munoz is a Schiano favorite.

and that pisses me off. I wanna see some Abreu out there!!

Munoz is ok, plays with high intensity but just is...eh. Makes too many mistakes. Nice special teams player for us, but I really wanna see Abreu out there.

Lowery has some nice potential, if he can put it all together with his speed, he could be something else!

eaglesalltheway
01-01-2009, 12:38 PM
I guess there is no room for me on the Bandwagon...(Goes in a corner to cry while listening to "Your Beautiful" by James Blunt)

josh07039
01-01-2009, 02:49 PM
I guess there is no room for me on the Bandwagon...(Goes in a corner to cry while listening to "Your Beautiful" by James Blunt)Yeah, back off. He belongs to Rutgers fans exclusively until he gets drafted.

Regarding the LB situation, lets not forget Marcus Witherspoon, the Michigan transfer. He was a a highly touted recruit and has been able to practice with the team this year, so he should be in the mix as well. I think we have plenty of depth that we may not miss a beat even with the loss of Malast. The only thing that worries me is Schiano's love for players who have "experience." I think Kordell Young's undeserved playing time is an example of that. So Munoz may have the inside track to be starter.

Jonny
01-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Young was hurt a lot this year, and the OL was young too. He will be better next year.

josh07039
01-01-2009, 10:40 PM
Young was hurt a lot this year, and the OL was young too. He will be better next year.
Hopefully he will be better next year, but why were Brooks and Martinek pretty damn successful behind that same O-line. Throughout the first three quarters of the bowl game I was screaming for Schiano to use Martinek. The guy has done well every time he has gotten an opportunity.

Giantsfan1080
01-02-2009, 04:13 PM
I totally forgot about Witherspoon. We should have a pretty sick front 7 next year. I'm worried about our secondary though. It stunk this year and it looks like it might be worse next.

Philliez01
01-02-2009, 04:59 PM
I'll join in on the RU fun!

What about D'Imperio?

Very good LB'er, granted he has suffered through many injuries at RU but he is a high-energy player that can make plays. He's probably more of a later round (if drafted) player but I would be willing to keep tabs on him this season. I mean if Joe Porter can stick in the NFL, I know D'Imp can.

On the original topic....

TiQuan is a solid WR. As Scotty said, solid size/speed combo but not spectacular in either. He will get drafted in the late 4-6 range and more than likely stick as a #4-#5 WR and ST ace. I like him though. Much better now than when he was taking direct snaps under center. Remember that?

josh07039
01-02-2009, 08:18 PM
If Tiquan runs as fast as I think he could I could see him going in the third or even someone becomes absolutely enamored with him because of his speed and ST prowess, he could go in the second. Once again, I'll say it. Look at Donnie Avery.

As for Dimperio, if he has another healthy season and is productive as he is capable of. He should have a good combo of productivity and athleticism to be a round 3-5 pick and a potential starter in the league.

Losing a Mccourty will only improve our secondary. David Rowe has shown some flashes and the guys we have coming in at cb are supposed to be very good. However, starting Lefeged and Kitch at safety doesn't exactly inspire fear in qbs. Lefeged especially cannot cover at all. Kitch is a little better, but Courtney(even though he had a disappointing season) was a guy that every counted on when they made mistakes and he will definitely be missed. I honestly think the biggest problem with the secondary has been that ,for some reason, the dbs have been taught to faceguard for years(Even before the Insight Bowl). When the ball is thrown, they rarely turn around. It is a really awful flaw.

SKim172
01-02-2009, 10:05 PM
Is this like the RU fan thread? Cuz I'll jump right in.

Underwood, I think will be a late-round commodity. Once the draft reaches the late fourth, teams will start eying him. He's a solid route runner who earns yards after the catch and has special teams value. My guess is the 5th-6th range, but I could see him sneaking into the 4th with a good 40-time.

Malast and Tverdov are two productive defensive guys who'll be overlooked because they played for a 7-win team in the Big East. Malast has been productive enough (90+ tackles both years as a starter) that he may slip into the 7th with a great pro day. Tverdov will have to tough it out as UDFA because, unfortunately, he doesn't really have anything to distinguish himself.

Westerman is just a sad story. Definitely had a chance at being drafted before the injury. Still might, if he recovers quickly enough.

Jonny
01-02-2009, 11:55 PM
Tiquan reminds me a lot of Todd Pinkston. Which isn't exactly good, but he will play in the NFL at some level.

I agree with Josh; I think Rowe will be ok CB. The problem is safety. It's not the Lefeged or Kitchen are bad, but both are strong safeties. They can't cover, and neither can Greene. That doesn't mean they're bad, it just means they're strong and not free safeties. I'm worried about more of the same this year, when they were playing man, and when the CB would pass off a receiver to Greene, he would inevitably get burned.

BTW, Britt is probably declaring today.

josh07039
01-03-2009, 12:54 AM
Tiquan reminds me a lot of Todd Pinkston. Which isn't exactly good, but he will play in the NFL at some level.

I agree with Josh; I think Rowe will be ok CB. The problem is safety. It's not the Lefeged or Kitchen are bad, but both are strong safeties. They can't cover, and neither can Greene. That doesn't mean they're bad, it just means they're strong and not free safeties. I'm worried about more of the same this year, when they were playing man, and when the CB would pass off a receiver to Greene, he would inevitably get burned.

BTW, Britt is probably declaring today.Todd Pinkston?No. Todd Pinkston showed no toughness throughout his career and not much special teams skill. Despite his small stature, Tiquan has been willing to take hard shots and make tough catches in traffic. Furthermore, I think Underwood is faster than Pinkston.

I think you are underrating Greene a bit. While he isn't a ballhawk, his coverage skills are a bit undderated, despite his shortcomings this year, he is a steady solid safety in coverage. I think some of his problems were the sortcomings of the mccourtys and the lack of pass rush. He needed to cover a lot of ground.

Jonny
01-03-2009, 05:31 AM
I'm not underrating him. I like Greene. He's a SS and was forced to play out of position. It's not fair that his stock is down from him basically being a team player and doing what was asked of him.

The CBs struggled this year, but you can't say there wasn't enough of a pass rush.

I don't think Underwood is willing to take hits at all. He has good hands, nearly all of the drops came from him hearing footsteps.

scottyboy
01-03-2009, 08:32 AM
well, the McCourtey's were just too inconsistent this year. They'd play great at points, and then get beat like they stole something. We still have one, throw him with Rowe and we've got our starting CB's. Kitchen is decent in coverage, however Lefeged can't cover. He can hit and make the other offense cry like little girls, but he can't cover. We may experiment with Lefeged at SS and Kitchen at FS, but I'm not sure. I'm not sold on our safety depth.

and oh Kenny :( How I will miss thee. Please get drafted by the Giants!!!

I'm a little nervous on our O next year. We'll have to heavily rely on the running game and D with losing our 2 best WR's and starting QB.(even though Teel's no stud prospect, losing a QB always hurts, at least early in the season)

thenewfeature06
01-03-2009, 08:51 AM
jsut hope u wont have to play the tarheels again

:D

DT35
01-03-2009, 10:07 AM
I saw the internation bowl last year at the Rodgers Center, he gave my friend his arm band.

Giantsfan1080
01-03-2009, 10:15 AM
I'm going to miss Kenny so much. As for the offense next year I think we could really go back to a having a dominant run game even with a new QB. Our line should be nasty next year with everyone coming back plus the depth we have in our RB's now. Throw in Williams and we have a pretty nasty set there. If Savage is as good as everyone thinks then I think he should start day 1. Even Jefferson should get a shot early. Schiano better give the QB to a younger play next year no more experience BS.

josh07039
01-03-2009, 12:25 PM
It's all about if Schiano uses the right runningbacks. Will he continue to throw Kordell out there and think that he is the starter, or will he recognize that Martinek and Brooks should be carrying the load. Before the season I thought that the runningback depth chart should be Brooks/Martinek/Robinson/Young. Now I believe it should be Martinek/Brooks/Young/Robinson(not including incoming players). Martinek showed good speed along with an ability to break tackles as well. He is a pretty big guy so I think he should be able to handle a good deal of the load.

I am very worried about the Qb situation, especially losing both of our starting wrs. Shamar Graves stepped up at the end of the year and will hopefully be a saftey valve at TE. Tim brown is explosive, but an inexperienced qb will probably have trouble using him. We do have some guys that are supposed to be good athletes waiting in the wings. I guess we'll just have to hope that the recruiting has been as good as Schiano has claimed.

Giantsfan1080
01-03-2009, 12:28 PM
It looks like a great class so far and we still have some high star kids that might be coming. I'm with you on the current RB dpeth chart. With Williams coming in I'd put Robinson at CB next year. I think we could use him there.

Hurricanes25
01-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Schiano better start Martinek next year. I think he is by far the best all around running back of the 4 of them. Brooks is a nice power back but Martinek should carry most of the load. Everytime Young gets a chance he does nothing. When I think of Robinson, I think of the North Carolina game when the ball went through his hands and ended up being a pick 6 for UNC

Race for the Heisman
01-03-2009, 01:22 PM
Take your Rutgers talk somewhere else. It's annoying to expect more information on a prospect only to people babbling about a second-rate college program.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11686

Jonny
01-03-2009, 03:27 PM
You can say that without being a jerk. It's not like anyone really cares about Underwood anyway. RU is a good program and it's on the rise.

scottyboy
01-03-2009, 07:17 PM
Take your Rutgers talk somewhere else. It's annoying to expect more information on a prospect only to people babbling about a second-rate college program.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11686

and the the neg rep hammer will come down on you promptly.

We pretty much said all there is to be said on Underwood and continued this discusision...

Race for the Heisman
01-03-2009, 07:35 PM
and the the neg rep hammer will come down on you promptly.

We pretty much said all there is to be said on Underwood and continued this discusision...

If you said all there was to be said let the thread die. 'This' discussion you reference belongs in the linked thread.

Philliez01
01-03-2009, 07:49 PM
You may be right RacefortheHeisman, actually you probably are. But I mean was it truly necessary to throw the whole "people babbling about a second-rate program" line out there? Sure Rutgers lacks the storied tradition of most schools and weren't ranked this season but must you insist on criticizing the University and its fans? Would it have been perfectly acceptable for us to say, talk about Mark Sanchez's prospects and then started, what you say it "babbling" about Stafon Johnson, Patrick Turner and Matt Barkley?

But whatever, the thread got a little hijacked by us overexuberant RU fans but your supreme intervention abilities have migrated me to the RU Discussion Thread. ;)

Giantsfan1080
01-03-2009, 08:13 PM
Where does RacefortheHeisman get off on telling a ton of respected posters to take their conversation somewhere else. Who cares. The Ru fans are probably the only ones reading this thread anyway.

Race for the Heisman
01-03-2009, 08:58 PM
I will admit that I could have been more diplomatic about what I said, but I won't apologize for being right about this thread or having an opinion about Rutgers football.

josh07039
01-03-2009, 09:01 PM
Where does RacefortheHeisman get off on telling a ton of respected posters to take their conversation somewhere else. Who cares. The Ru fans are probably the only ones reading this thread anyway. In theory he is correct, however, you tell him what's what. He should back the hell out of our business. Where does he get off telling us what to do?

scottyboy
01-03-2009, 10:07 PM
If you said all there was to be said let the thread die. 'This' discussion you reference belongs in the linked thread.

then why the **** do you care? what's the difference if the thread title says RU discussion thread or Tiquan Underwood. either way you know it involves Rutgers football. Just ignore the ******* thread, honestly.

Race for the Heisman
01-03-2009, 11:32 PM
then why the **** do you care? what's the difference if the thread title says RU discussion thread or Tiquan Underwood. either way you know it involves Rutgers football. Just ignore the ******* thread, honestly.

This is it and then I'm done because no one is going to win here. I posted what I did because I appreciate the general level of integrity this forum has and it annoys me to see a Rutgers circle jerk in a thread about a prospect who I'm interested to know more about. The thread says Tiquan Underwood, which means it should be about a wide receiver prospect for the 2009 NFL draft; Rutgers should only come into play when considering past Rutgers wide receivers, the system, perhaps his supporting cast, and how all of those influence his stock. The running back rotation for 2010 doesn't really interest or concern me.

Philliez01
01-03-2009, 11:51 PM
This is it and then I'm done because no one is going to win here. I posted what I did because I appreciate the general level of integrity this forum has and it annoys me to see a Rutgers circle jerk in a thread about a prospect who I'm interested to know more about. The thread says Tiquan Underwood, which means it should be about a wide receiver prospect for the 2009 NFL draft; Rutgers should only come into play when considering past Rutgers wide receivers, the system, perhaps his supporting cast, and how all of those influence his stock. The running back rotation for 2010 doesn't really interest or concern me.

Fine.

Stripped down to nuts and bolts.

Underwoods a pretty nice athlete. Took snaps from under center freshman year, but mostly in running situations. Spelled Ryan Hart.

He's not 4.2 fast but he possesses decent wheels on him. Inconsistent hands, not the tallest (6'2) but has nice size and an adequate route-runner. Very good junior season, kind of streaky senior campaign.

Past Rutgers WRs haven't had the best careers, if one was established at all but none were that talented. Tres Moses, I believe, moonlighted in afl2 a couple years back. Underwood was one of the better WRs in school history though Kenny Britt just obliterated life as we know it in Piscataway.

Rounds 4-6 likely. #4 WR and ST guy for now. Could develop into a nice slot WR, a very reliable one I would guess.

I've been thinking about a comparision, and came up short a bit. Would a taller Josh Reed make sense?

scottyboy
01-04-2009, 10:11 AM

then stop reading it...?

we told you all there is to know on Tiquan on the first page and a half. Like 99% of threads here, the topic changed. We shouldn't move our discussion just because you want us to...

PLUS, losing Tiquan has a major impact on the Rutgers offense, which believe it or not, contains our RB rotation. So Tiquan is still playing a major role in our discussion...

scottyboy
01-08-2009, 09:17 PM
guess what!?!?!?

I am now facebook friends with our future QB Tom Savage!!

RU class of 09!!! WOOHOO

josh07039
01-08-2009, 10:12 PM
guess what!?!?!?

I am now facebook friends with our future QB Tom Savage!!

RU class of 09!!! WOOHOO
Uhm, I would have, but I think thats kinda nerdy. Im friends with a few athletes, but those are women's bball players that I friended to not creepily just friend Heather Zurich.

scottyboy
01-08-2009, 10:15 PM
Uhm, I would have, but I think thats kinda nerdy. Im friends with a few athletes, but those are women's bball players that I friended to not creepily just friend Heather Zurich.

haha yea it's pretty bad lol

BUT, the only reason I did so was because I was on the 09 group and saw him as one of the listed in the group haha

josh07039
01-08-2009, 10:36 PM
haha yea it's pretty bad lol

BUT, the only reason I did so was because I was on the 09 group and saw him as one of the listed in the group haha
I guess it's a little better. But still, he's just a person.

Giantsfan1080
01-08-2009, 11:22 PM
Savage is the man. What's everyones early bets on who the QB is Day 1 next year?