PDA

View Full Version : Raiders wont draft a LT at #7

NIPS
12-30-2008, 09:12 PM
If Cable is retained, which all indications are he will be.

Oakland traded up 2 years ago into the 3rd round to draft FSU LT Mario Henderson

Ever since he has replaced Kwame Harris Russell has had his best games.

Look at the DE's Mario Henderson faced this year

Julius Peppers - 0 sacks
Richard Seymour - 0 sacks
Super Mario Williams - 0 sacks
Gaines Adams - 0 sacks
Chargers - 0 sacks

Henderson has shut down some of the best DE's in the NFL in his brief start.

Cable has come out in his last post game and has said one of the bright spots of the Raiders was Mario Henderson

So to you Scott Wright and every other mock drafters

Oakland will not select a LT at #7.. maybe later on.. but not at #7

Might wanna go edit your mock drafts now.

Xonraider
12-30-2008, 09:21 PM

All indications are that we interviewed Gilbride and Hackett, right?

RaiderNation
12-30-2008, 09:40 PM
Dont listen to him. Mario Henderson isnt the answer at LT. As Xonraider said we are interviewing 3 or 4 coaches( not including Cable), and if we get one of them we might not be a ZBS offense. With means Mario will be moved to RT. If a guy like Eugene Monroe, Jason Smith or Michael Oher drops to #7 we would be stupid not to take one of them. I personally like Monroe the best out of those 3 but if we keep Cable we will likely draft Jason Smith since he will be the best zone blocking OT out of the 3.

The only way we might not take a OT in round 1 is either we sign/trade for one or Crabtree falls to us.

regoob2
12-30-2008, 09:41 PM
I hope the Raiders pass on a franchise LT and take a workout warrior.

illmatic74
12-30-2008, 09:43 PM

Oakland traded up 2 years ago into the 3rd round to draft FSU LT Mario Henderson

Julius Peppers - 0 sacks
Gaines Adams - 0 sacks
Chargers - 0 sacks

Cable has come out in his last post game and has said one of the bright spots of the Raiders was Mario Henderson

Might wanna go edit your mock drafts now.If you had the amount of hurries given up your point would be more valid.

NIPS
12-30-2008, 09:52 PM
If you had the amount of hurries given up your point would be more valid.

Apparently,

You have them

So please post them

NIPS
12-30-2008, 09:57 PM
Dont listen to him. Mario Henderson isnt the answer at LT. As Xonraider said we are interviewing 3 or 4 coaches( not including Cable), and if we get one of them we might not be a ZBS offense. With means Mario will be moved to RT. If a guy like Eugene Monroe, Jason Smith or Michael Oher drops to #7 we would be stupid not to take one of them. I personally like Monroe the best out of those 3 but if we keep Cable we will likely draft Jason Smith since he will be the best zone blocking OT out of the 3.

The only way we might not take a OT in round 1 is either we sign/trade for one or Crabtree falls to us.

Yes listen to me if you want correct info instead of just posting want other people post

http://www.contracostatimes.com/raiders/ci_11339263

[quote]One by one, the names bandied about in recent days were broached. Each time, Davis dismissed any and all reports linking the aforementioned names to the Raiders coaching vacancy.
"None of the reports is true," Herrera said. "Every one is false and unfounded. They're just throwing pie against the wall."

Oakland will not select a OT

Especially Jason Smith whos not even worth a top 25 pick

Yes, listen to me

Geo
12-30-2008, 10:17 PM
Raiders are going to get a very good player, where they are. Could be a franchise LT, maybe not.

Maybe Michael Crabtree reaches their pick?

Johnnie Lee Higgins and rookie Chaz Schillens (sp?) show some promise, let's give some credit to Al Davis for that, but they are more good #2 and #3 guys. Add a #1 like Crabtree, with a top-notch TE like Miller and the awesome depth at RB, and Russell has weapons for years to come.

And I'd just like to add that I've been impressed with Jamarcus Russell recently. Even with Tom Cable as the HC and playcalling taken away from Knapp, I think is the case, Russell has shown some poise and ability that I didn't think he'd show. He looks good.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
12-30-2008, 10:22 PM
Dont listen to him. Mario Henderson isnt the answer at LT.

I don't know about that. Since Mario has been inserted into the lineup, he has handled pass rushers such as Richard Seymour, Super Mario, and Gaines Adams and hasn't allowed a sack. There's also a marked difference in passing by JaMarcus when Henderson has been in the game.

Henderson's 4 starts - 58/97, 59.8%, 782 yards, 7 TD, 2 INT, 5 sacks
Harris' 11 starts - 140/271, 51.7%, 1641 yards, 6 TD, 6 INT, 26 sacks

Geo
12-30-2008, 10:26 PM
So Kwame Harris isn't good? Who could have seen that coming! ;)

Hammy
12-30-2008, 10:28 PM
I tend to agree with RIP. Henderson has looked quite good, and with the needs at both DE and S a LT might not be as pressing a need as it was a month ago.

Scott Wright
12-30-2008, 10:36 PM
I still think it is offensive tackle or wideout for the Raiders.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-30-2008, 10:53 PM
If Cable does return, which is what I expect to happen barring some high profile name entering the conversation, then Henderson should remain at LT for next season. That would probably knock offensive line out of consideration for the #7 pick. You don't really know how Cable ultimately feels about Henderson, but he has been the guy who has been observing Henderson's solid play, so the chances are higher.

Wide receiver is distinctly possible, as is defensive end.

Race for the Heisman
12-30-2008, 11:26 PM
It would be such an Al Davis pick to take Maclin or Orakpo.

Oaktown1981
12-30-2008, 11:28 PM
Crabtree will be gone before the 7th pick.. They shouldn't draft a WR anyway..

Raiders still need a RG/RT.. If one of the top tackles are still there they should draft one of them.. There isn't a DT worth a top 7 pick..

Orakpo will probably be gone too..

RaiderNation420
12-30-2008, 11:34 PM
It would be a dumb move to make Mario a RT.

12-31-2008, 12:56 AM
It would be a dumb move to make Mario a RT.

It wouldn't be a 'dumb' move, but I'd most definitely prefer Henderson at LT and it better plays to his strengths, imo. It does all rest on the future of Cable. If we choose to go elsewhere other than tackle and Crabtree is off the board it could make for a rather interesting draft scenario, possible candidates for the selection could include and is not limited to Jenkins, Curry, Orakpo, Maualuga, Mays, Maclin, Davis etc etc

wicket
12-31-2008, 04:58 AM
Can i do the same?:
The Saints won draft a corner at #16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

coordinator0
12-31-2008, 08:52 AM
Well, I'm pretty sure the Ravens won't take a QB in the first round... But all kidding aside I don't think they'll take a LB even if Suggs and/or Scott leave because they have good young talent that would probably get the start over anybody they'd be able to draft.

Young Legend
12-31-2008, 11:05 AM
Depends on who is the coach.They can still take someone like Oher at 7 and move him to RT and have there tackles set.

CC.SD
12-31-2008, 11:06 AM
I think the odds are still pretty high that somehow Al takes Vontae Davis.

Crickett
12-31-2008, 11:23 AM
I figure Al is going to take Percy Harvin #7. Because he's Al Davis.

Cigaro
12-31-2008, 11:36 AM
Peppers had three sacks against the Raiders, and I'm pretty sure he was matched up against Harris the majority of the time...

CroomDawgs
12-31-2008, 11:43 AM
Julius Peppers - 0 sacks

Peppers had three sacks against the Raiders, and I'm pretty sure he was matched up against Harris the majority of the time..

Looks like your credibility went out the window

doingthisinsteadofwork
12-31-2008, 12:36 PM
Henderson didn't start against Carolina and just because Peppers had 3 sacks against Oakland doesn't mean he had them against Henderson.

TimD
12-31-2008, 12:43 PM
I still think it is offensive tackle or wideout for the Raiders.

whose to say they dont draft a LT and move Mario over to the right. Its always a good thing to have a good LT and RT

Menardo75
12-31-2008, 01:56 PM
The Raiders probably won't draft a tackle #7. Not because of Mario Henderson, because they aren't smart enough to make that pick.

12-31-2008, 02:01 PM
Can i do the same?:
The Saints won draft a corner at #16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's because you may be showing interest in Aso although I fully expect Al to tag him yet again this offseason.

BBIB
12-31-2008, 03:46 PM
Of course they won't.

It would make too much sense to protect JaMarcus Russell

Cigaro
12-31-2008, 06:02 PM
Henderson didn't start against Carolina and just because Peppers had 3 sacks against Oakland doesn't mean he had them against Henderson.

He had them against mostly Harris as I remember it, meaning Henderson 'shutting down' Peppers didn't happen, mainly because they didn't even match up against each other.

NIPS
12-31-2008, 09:41 PM
mainly because they didn't even match up against each other.

Oh yeah they did

zaqdaddy
12-31-2008, 11:28 PM
I think they'll take Michael Crabtree if he's there because he's a big star and a big body. But if Rey Maualuga runs a good 40, it wouldn't suprise me if they take Rey. Al Davis loves strength, speed, and he likes USC too. I wouldn't be suprised if the Raiders take Rey Maualuga and move him outside to team him with Kirk Morrison and Thomas Howard in the linebacking corp.

wicket
01-01-2009, 04:07 AM
That's because you may be showing interest in Aso although I fully expect Al to tag him yet again this offseason.

And because we got to proper set of starters at the position. We need both safetie spots (prim. fs) and a wlb so much more

Cigaro
01-01-2009, 05:31 AM
Oh yeah they did

Couldn't have been much because Harris started the game, and I remember him getting beat many times. And if it wasn't Harris who was getting beat, then it was Henderson.

RaiderNation
01-01-2009, 04:05 PM
I think they'll take Michael Crabtree if he's there because he's a big star and a big body. But if Rey Maualuga runs a good 40, it wouldn't suprise me if they take Rey. Al Davis loves strength, speed, and he likes USC too. I wouldn't be suprised if the Raiders take Rey Maualuga and move him outside to team him with Kirk Morrison and Thomas Howard in the linebacking corp.

Only way we take Rey is if we trade down. LB is a need, but we have bigger needs. In order this is what I consider our biggest needs: OT,WR,NT,FS,DE,C,LB,UT,CB

furiousgod
01-01-2009, 06:08 PM
please dont move mario to RT!

it would be dumb because for one; the strongest point of his game is his pass blocking, two the weakest part of his game is his runblocking. So why would you move a finesse blocker to the power side? how does that make any sense at all?

furiousgod
01-01-2009, 06:59 PM
Only way we take Rey is if we trade down. LB is a need, but we have bigger needs. In order this is what I consider our biggest needs: OT,WR,NT,FS,DE,C,LB,UT,CB

i like your needs for the team good line. talking rey would be a huge mistake cause im not even sure he's better then morrison, i couldnt say the same for rajii or crabtree

how much of a reach would it be for oakland to take rajii at 7 ?? it could be me just still upset over not taking ngata at 7 or w/e it was 3 years ago.

Abaddon
01-01-2009, 07:52 PM
please dont move mario to RT!

it would be dumb because for one; the strongest point of his game is his pass blocking, two the weakest part of his game is his runblocking. So why would you move a finesse blocker to the power side? how does that make any sense at all?

Some people just don't pay that much attention.

Abaddon
01-01-2009, 07:52 PM

Julius Peppers - 0 sacks
Gaines Adams - 0 sacks
Chargers - 0 sacks

Your NIPS aren't ugly, are they?

JohnCandy
01-03-2009, 11:56 PM

Mario Henderson cannot play RT he is too weak and and plays with too much finesse. He is a good LT and could develop into a dominant player with his feet and long arms.

RaiderNation
01-04-2009, 12:17 AM
how much of a reach would it be for oakland to take rajii at 7 ?? it could be me just still upset over not taking ngata at 7 or w/e it was 3 years ago.

A huge reach. Ngata was a way better prospect than Raji. Raji will probably get picked the late 1st early 2nd. I doubt he drops to us though in the 2nd. A team like Atlanta or Miami could use him

Paranoidmoonduck
01-04-2009, 01:10 AM
I think Raji could very well slip into the late-teens of the first round, but that would still make him a bit of a reach in the top ten.

Young Legend
01-04-2009, 02:45 AM
Still think Monroe for Oakland.

NIN1984
01-04-2009, 08:01 AM
Raiders should still draft a LT or trade the pick. Al Davis will probably end up drafting Taylor Mays, Al can't help himself.

toonsterwu
01-04-2009, 10:28 AM
Yes listen to me if you want correct info instead of just posting want other people post

http://www.contracostatimes.com/raiders/ci_11339263

[quote]One by one, the names bandied about in recent days were broached. Each time, Davis dismissed any and all reports linking the aforementioned names to the Raiders coaching vacancy.
"None of the reports is true," Herrera said. "Every one is false and unfounded. They're just throwing pie against the wall."

Oakland will not select a OT

Especially Jason Smith whos not even worth a top 25 pick

Yes, listen to me

Don't be shocked if Jason Smith is the top senior OT. Andre Smith has the top slot, and while I prefer Eugene Monroe, a lot of folks love Jason Smith.

toonsterwu
01-04-2009, 10:29 AM
I don't think, this early in the process, that you can lock a yes or a no for any team, at any position. Let things settle out first, particularly since these are the Raiders and Al Davis is making the calls.

Paranoidmoonduck
01-04-2009, 08:07 PM
I don't think, this early in the process, that you can lock a yes or a no for any team, at any position. Let things settle out first, particularly since these are the Raiders and Al Davis is making the calls.

It's hard not to see the writing on the wall. There's plenty of names being thrown around the Oakland vacancy (and the fact that Oakland shot most of them down doesn't mean anything one way or another), but there's no real reason to believe that Gilbride stands a real chance of getting the job ahead of Tom Cable. Unless some big name enters the discussion (unlikely) or Harbaugh decides that he really wants the job (seems just as unlikely), Cable should get the job.

Given that, even if Cable doesn't feel that Henderson is the answer at left tackle moving forward, I don't see them taking a tackle in the first round. They'd very likely wait until at least the 2nd or 3rd round to pluck someone for the offensive line. Which leaves wide receiver, defensive end, and an outside shot of either Taylor Mays or Malcolm Jenkins in the first round.

gpngc
01-04-2009, 08:28 PM
What about Gerald McCoy if he comes out?

bearsfan_51
01-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Raji could go in the top 10 people.

Paranoidmoonduck
01-04-2009, 08:38 PM

Not as long as Tommy Kelly is still under contract. Even if Rob Ryan gets the boot, Kelly will likely remain the starter at UT for Oakland.

Raji could go in the top 10 people.

He could, but it doesn't seem likely. I'm just having a hard time seeing him as being so wildly impressive in workouts that he shoots that high. Certainly, men his size who can move like that are in high demand, but I think it's likely he goes in the 11-20 range.

RaiderNation
01-04-2009, 08:41 PM

No he isnt a NT, and we allready have Kelly to play UT.

giantsfan
01-04-2009, 08:43 PM

Do you want Rey Rey to be a horrible bust? Is that why you propose he should play outside in any scheme? I'm not a rey rey fan but even I wouldn't like to see him wasted at OLB.

As for the Raiders pick if Jason Smith is available I think he'd make too much sense for them. Mario can play RT in the ZBS and Jason Smith could be a hall of famer in Cable's ZBS.

Dark Knight01
01-05-2009, 07:55 PM
Even if Mario is the answer at LT, they should still look to draft a beast of a RT to solidify that line for their biggest investment in Russell.

Oher would be a great pick for a RT and so would Monroe.

If they don't trade down, then the pick will come down to one of those tackles or Taylor Mays. If Crabtree falls then he will be in the mix as well, but I don't see him falling out of the top 5.

If Orakpo is there, with Mays on the board along with both O-Tackles, then they better TRADE DOWN!

They can get a WR like Nicks or Britt later if they want. They must strengthen both lines first.

If they pick a CB like Jenkins with that pick at #7 I will PUKE!

JohnCandy
01-05-2009, 08:08 PM
Even if Mario is the answer at LT, they should still look to draft a beast of a RT to solidify that line for their biggest investment in Russell.

Oher would be a great pick for a RT and so would Monroe.

If they don't trade down, then the pick will come down to one of those tackles or Taylor Mays. If Crabtree falls then he will be in the mix as well, but I don't see him falling out of the top 5.

If Orakpo is there, with Mays on the board along with both O-Tackles, then they better TRADE DOWN!

They can get a WR like Nicks or Britt later if they want. They must strengthen both lines first.

f they pick a CB like Jenkins with that pick at #7 I will PUKE!

Trade down and grab OG Duke Robinson he is a 6'5" 335lbs. mauler and he could start at RG or RT.

Dark Knight01
01-05-2009, 08:20 PM
Trade down and grab OG Duke Robinson he is a 6'5" 335lbs. mauler and he could start at RG or RT.

Or even Ciron Black from LSU if he declares......

doingthisinsteadofwork
01-05-2009, 08:24 PM
I doubt Oakland goes OT in round one for two main reasons: Tom Cable and Al Davis.
Tom Cable has never been fond of drafting Offensive lineman high while he's been in Oakland, even though its been obvious most of the lineman suck.Mario's the only one thats been drafted,and I recall Cable saying hes liked what hes seen out of Mario the last couple of games.
Al Davis won't be interested in drafting a need.Afterall we're the Raiduhs we don't rebuild we reload. Theres to many guys that are atheletic freaks that could be there when we pick.Crabtree,Maclin,Mays,and Orakpo and don't forget Malcom Jenkins, you never can get enough CBs.
I'm pretty sure with the combination of Cable and Davis OT in round one won't happen.

Dark Knight01
01-05-2009, 08:26 PM
I doubt Oakland goes OT in round one for two main reasons: Tom Cable and Al Davis.
Tom Cable has never been fond of drafting Offensive lineman high as far as I can remember.
Al Davis won't be interested in drafting a need.Afterall we're the Raiduhs we don't rebuild we reload. Theres to many guys that are atheletic freaks that could be there when we pick.Crabtree,Maclin,Mays,and Orakpo and don't forget Malcom Jenkins, you never can get enough CBs.
I'm pretty sure with the combination of Cable and Davis OT in round one won't happen.

Out of all those Mays or Crabtree, but Crabtree and Orakpo will not be there.

If they pick Jenkins a Big Ten corner.....then I will PUKE!

nobodyinparticular
01-05-2009, 08:58 PM

Julius Peppers - 0 sacks
Gaines Adams - 0 sacks
Chargers - 0 sacks

:rolleyes:

Just... don't...

Mario Henderson will not keep the Raiders from drafting a LT in the 1st round. They may choose to go another route for various reasons (Al loves DBs, a need for a WR, great depth at the position, whatever), but it won't be because Henderson is there. Henderson still sucks in pass protection and would be a much better fit at RT at this point. And what do you know, the Raiders could move him there with drafting a LT at #7 and thus replace the horrid Cornell Green (whose contract is up anyway).

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Raiders' starting offensive line next year is

LT: Jason Smith/Monroe
LG: Gallery
C: Grove
RG: McQuistan
RT: Henderson

One more time--if the Raiders pass on a LT at #7, it won't be because they see Henderson as a franchise LT.

Paranoidmoonduck
01-05-2009, 09:07 PM
One more time--if the Raiders pass on a LT at #7, it won't be because they see Henderson as a franchise LT.

The Raiders may not look at Henderson as the long term answer, but they may absolutely feel that he has earned a full year's look at left tackle, or that he's at least passable enough on the blindside that they should address other concerns.

I don't think anyone feels that Henderson is a "franchise" anything. But it wouldn't be all that ridiculous to say that if the front office remains mostly unchanged and Cable stays at head coach, Henderson will be the starting left tackle at the start of the 2009 season.

JohnCandy
01-05-2009, 09:08 PM
:rolleyes:

Just... don't...

Mario Henderson will not keep the Raiders from drafting a LT in the 1st round. They may choose to go another route for various reasons (Al loves DBs, a need for a WR, great depth at the position, whatever), but it won't be because Henderson is there. Henderson still sucks in pass protection and would be a much better fit at RT at this point. And what do you know, the Raiders could move him there with drafting a LT at #7 and thus replace the horrid Cornell Green (whose contract is up anyway).

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Raiders' starting offensive line next year is

LT: Jason Smith/Monroe
LG: Gallery
C: Grove
RG: McQuistan
RT: Henderson

Henderson can only play LT. He is not strong enough or physical enough to play RT. In preseason he played RT and was criticized he comes in at LT and is very solid. The guy is a natural pass blocker and if they don't draft a LT with 4 staring them in the face it is because of Henderson.

nobodyinparticular
01-05-2009, 09:13 PM
Whoa... Mario Henderson's strong point is his pass blocking? He sucks at run blocking?

Wow... Perhaps his physical tools would indicate that he is more inclined to be a better pass blocker due to a lower BMI than most NFL OTs (height vs. weight), but watch the game first. If you were to watch the game, you would notice that Henderson struggles with moving his feet in pass protection. As a run blocker, he drives fairly well, but in setting up in pass pro, more often than not it looks like he has cement on his feet.

nobodyinparticular
01-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Henderson can only play LT. He is not strong enough or physical enough to play RT. In preseason he played RT and was criticized he comes in at LT and is very solid. The guy is a natural pass blocker and if they don't draft a LT with 4 staring them in the face it is because of Henderson.

Do you watch the games? Natural pass blocker? In size maybe, but when put out on the field, absolutely not.

JohnCandy
01-05-2009, 09:17 PM
Do you watch the games? Natural pass blocker? In size maybe, but when put out on the field, absolutely not.

I have watched all 3 of the games he started a couple of times and he gives up little pressure and he gave up 0 sacks so what is the complaint about his pass blocking?

The guy is a good pass blocker and surrendered 0 sacks while playing Mario Williams, Gaines Adams, Richard Seymour and Ty Warren.

Long arms, moves well and good quickness makes him a good pass blocker.

Paranoidmoonduck
01-05-2009, 09:24 PM

If Henderson has a strength, it is his pass blocking. His center of gravity isn't great and his footwork needs tons of work, but he has spurts of quality pass blocking. But his strength isn't run blocking. Oakland ran over 75% of their run plays to the right side and even on cutbacks, when Gallery was cleaning house, Henderson was pretty much a nonfactor.

I want Oakland to draft a new left tackle about as badly as anyone. But I don't expect them to.

Crickett
01-05-2009, 09:25 PM
I have watched all 3 of the games he started a couple of times and he gives up little pressure and he gave up 0 sacks so what is the complaint about his pass blocking?

The guy is a good pass blocker and surrendered 0 sacks while playing Mario Williams, Gaines Adams, Richard Seymour and Ty Warren.

The only guy on this list with double digit sacks this past season is Mario Williams, and not giving up a sack to Mario Williams once just isn't sufficient of an argument.

Seriously, surrendered 0 sacks to Ty Warren? Ty Warren had 2 sacks all year. Wowee.

doingthisinsteadofwork
01-05-2009, 11:02 PM

He's started five.

giantsfan
01-05-2009, 11:04 PM
He's started five.

boom goes the dynamite!

NIPS
01-06-2009, 10:46 AM
I want Oakland to draft a new left tackle about as badly as anyone. But I don't expect them to.

They wont because they dont need one

Whats this about Hendersons run blocking?

Were you asleep?

Dude was all the over LB's and was responsible for some big gains

Get the crack outta yer head son!

Raider_fan_Canada
01-06-2009, 12:24 PM
OK there is no point to be made about the Carolina game. Peppers made Harris his ***** and I dont know too much about Henderson. The fact is he played very well down the stretch and his presence turned around the play of the whole offensive line, QB and offense. The Raiders would have ended the year 3-13 instead of 5-11 if not for his play.

For those who think the Raiders would not be smart not to draft a LT #7 think again. They protected him very well with the current group and I think only a true RT 2nd round pick is needed.

CC.SD
01-06-2009, 12:26 PM
I hope the Raiders pass on a franchise LT and take a workout warrior.

Vontae Davis, come on down.

CC.SD
01-06-2009, 12:30 PM
Do you want Rey Rey to be a horrible bust? Is that why you propose he should play outside in any scheme? I'm not a rey rey fan but even I wouldn't like to see him wasted at OLB.

As for the Raiders pick if Jason Smith is available I think he'd make too much sense for them. Mario can play RT in the ZBS and Jason Smith could be a hall of famer in Cable's ZBS.

I'd loooove to see Rey as a 3-4 ILB just because there will always be formations where he lines up outside the TE's shoulder and rushes. In spot duty he would beast it. Oh yah, and also dominate inside. That Rey has slipped out of the top ten prospects is really a testament to overanalyzing, sometimes a beast is just a beast.

giantsfan
01-06-2009, 12:33 PM
I'd loooove to see Rey as a 3-4 ILB just because there will always be formations where he lines up outside the TE's shoulder and rushes. In spot duty he would beast it. Oh yah, and also dominate inside. That Rey has slipped out of the top ten prospects is really a testament to overanalyzing, sometimes a beast is just a beast.

Meh, I was never as high on him as others. My problem with him is some people have treated him like a Patrick Willis "i'll kick your ass no matter what scheme or what I'm asked to do" while he's really pretty limited in that he needs to be playing inside on a team that asks their linebackers to attack the LOS and doesn't ask him to drop off into coverage much.

Paranoidmoonduck
01-06-2009, 08:15 PM
Get the crack outta yer head son!

I advise you do the same.

In the final three games of the season, Oakland ran the ball to the right 58% of the time (versus running to the left 29% of the time). That shows a distinct lack of trust in Henderson's ability to run block, especially when less and less runs were called to the left over the course of the games, ending in the Tampa Bay game where almost all of the runs were to the right side, including both of Michael Bush's touchdowns.

bernbabybern820
01-06-2009, 08:56 PM
I dont give an ish anymore!! Just draft the BPA.

furiousgod
01-06-2009, 11:21 PM
I advise you do the same.

In the final three games of the season, Oakland ran the ball to the right 58% of the time (versus running to the left 29% of the time). That shows a distinct lack of trust in Henderson's ability to run block, especially when less and less runs were called to the left over the course of the games, ending in the Tampa Bay game where almost all of the runs were to the right side, including both of Michael Bush's touchdowns.

i agree 100% whomever the guy is that is arguing that henderson is as good at run blocking or w/e clearly doesnt really watch the games.

Dark Knight01
01-07-2009, 12:16 AM

^Exactly...he held his own at LT against all those guys you mentioned above.

They still need to draft a solid RT 1st or 2nd round and Oher would be a solid RT IMO. Oher can play in any blocking system or scheme IMO.

CC.SD
01-07-2009, 12:19 AM
Meh, I was never as high on him as others. My problem with him is some people have treated him like a Patrick Willis "i'll kick your ass no matter what scheme or what I'm asked to do" while he's really pretty limited in that he needs to be playing inside on a team that asks their linebackers to attack the LOS and doesn't ask him to drop off into coverage much.

Yah he's no Willis as a prospect but he is going to change the tone of the right D.

Dark Knight01
01-07-2009, 12:27 AM
I rate Spikes ahead of Rey as of now, but we'll see if that changes when workout time comes for the draft.

Paranoidmoonduck
01-07-2009, 01:11 AM
I rate Spikes ahead of Rey as of now, but we'll see if that changes when workout time comes for the draft.

If anything, I expect that gap to get a little bigger. That said, if the Chargers do wind up picking in the top 20, Maualuga is going to be really tempting. And I'm not sure Spikes will go before that, because there's more wealth at 4-3 linebacker this year.

Xonraider
01-07-2009, 02:02 AM

Well, I have to disagree. I don't know if he is a 'natural' pass blocker, but he didn't give up sacks when he started and Jamarcus had so much time with Mario pass blocking.

Paranoidmoonduck
01-07-2009, 02:04 AM
Well, I have to disagree. I don't know if he is a 'natural' pass blocker, but he didn't give up sacks when he started and Jamarcus had so much time with Mario pass blocking.

He gave up 1.5 sacks this season. Not much, but it was a small sample size.

giantsfan
01-07-2009, 03:05 PM

I don't see that happening. If anything I think Spikes will increase his lead since he's a better athlete who'll be more impressive at the combine and time better.