PDA

View Full Version : How Many Prospects Will Get the Elite Prospect Status from Scott Wright This Year?

Thunder&Lightning
12-30-2008, 11:52 PM
How many elite prospects do you think scott wright will give this year and who?

Aaron Curry
Andre Smith
Malcolm Jenkins

12-31-2008, 12:03 AM
I remember reading a while back from Scott that Stafford would probably get consideration.

regoob2
12-31-2008, 12:08 AM
Id say 1. Stafford.

foozball
12-31-2008, 12:32 AM
andre smith shouldnt get an elite status

sbh15
12-31-2008, 12:40 AM
Curry, Jenkins, Stafford, Mays

those are the only ones I can think of.

RaiderNation
12-31-2008, 12:49 AM
Scott seems to really like Stafford. I believe Andre Smith and Curry also will get one.

Zyro_1014
12-31-2008, 01:16 AM
Stafford, Andre Smith, Malcom Jenkins and Aaron Curry??

foozball
12-31-2008, 01:27 AM
is andre smith really that good that his unprototypical size gets him an elite status when jake long didnt even get one?

Hermstheman83
12-31-2008, 01:29 AM
is andre smith really that good that his unprototypical size gets him an elite status when jake long didnt even get one?

That's because Jake Long is better suited as a Right tackle. Although he is really good at LT, he'd be an "elite" Right Tackle.

GB12
12-31-2008, 01:32 AM
Id say 1. Stafford.
And you'd be wrong because Aaron Curry already got it. ;)

Geo
12-31-2008, 01:34 AM
I'd feel comfortable giving Jenkins, Curry, and Stafford the elite label nod. Just those three, however. Andre Smith comes shy thanks to some concerns about character.

Cigaro
12-31-2008, 01:42 AM
You can quote me on this, but I guarantee it to be from 0 to infinity.

But surzly, I'd say Jenkins, Stafford, Smith, maybe Crabtree.

Solomon
12-31-2008, 01:43 AM
I'd feel comfortable giving Jenkins, Curry, and Stafford the elite label nod. Just those three, however. Andre Smith comes shy thanks to some concerns about character.

I could see Crabtree getting some consideration after the combine.

thebow305
12-31-2008, 01:57 AM
I could see Crabtree, Jenkins, and Stafford all getting it. Oher, Monroe, and Orakpo should be close as well.

I can't see Andre Smith getting it, simply because I don't think he is a true LT. IMO he could be a better guard in the NFL and will play out of position for the majority of his career most likely.

wicket
12-31-2008, 04:49 AM
curry for sure, also jenkins prolly and maybe stafford smith and/or crabtree

D-Rod
12-31-2008, 06:57 AM
curry for sure

bold ;)

I'd say five, in the end:

Curry, Stafford, Smith, Crabtree, Jenkins

Iamcanadian
12-31-2008, 07:16 AM
Most of the great talent in this year's draft lies with the juniors and until we know who will declare, it's a tough call and Scott won't make it until he knows for sure. Generally there are anywhere from 1 or 2 elite players all the way up to a dozen in any draft year.
Scott is tougher than most GM's and will probably limit that tittle to 3 or 4 players. I'd guess the total will be around 5 or 6 this year and I for one, wouldn't include Crabtree in that group unless he can run a 4.50 or better 40 at the combine. The consensus is he will be somewhere around 4.55 to 4.60 and that would drop him out of the elite status grouping, IMO.

bored of education
12-31-2008, 07:18 AM
As pro prospects :

Malcolm Jenkins
Matt Stafford

end story.

TitanHope
12-31-2008, 07:45 AM
Out of the seniors, I say just Aaron Curry for right now. I'll wait til the combine for the rest. I heard rumors that Malcolm Jenkins' height was actually sub-6'0, but we'll find out if that's true or not.

eaglesalltheway
12-31-2008, 08:49 AM
He doesn't look under 6' from what I've seen, but even if he is under 6' (slightly) I don't think that will affect him much in terms of draft stock or how he is viewed as a player. He has been great for Ohio State and him being 5'11" would still put him in prototypical CB size, just on the lower end now. His physical tools and how he plays his position are too good for than inch or so to make a big difference.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
12-31-2008, 09:00 AM
Curry, Jenkins, Stafford, Mays

those are the only ones I can think of.

Mays should most definitely not get one. It isn't just physical measures that get that kind of status. However, i guess it is possible depending on the combine, although i don't think he plays to that status, yet at least.

I'll guess 4.
Curry, Jenkins, Crabtree, Smith

I don't know if he'll give one to Stafford, but i will be ineterested to see. I believe Beanie could potentially get one, but in the end i don't see it happening.

Race for the Heisman
12-31-2008, 11:53 AM
Jenkins and Curry should get it, Stafford might, and Crabtree could if he runs 4.4X, maybe even low 4.5.

TACKLE
12-31-2008, 11:57 AM
That's because Jake Long is better suited as a Right tackle. Although he is really good at LT, he'd be an "elite" Right Tackle.

And how is that different from Andre Smith?

Race for the Heisman
12-31-2008, 12:17 PM
And how is that different from Andre Smith?

Because Smith obviously has left tackle skills, he just lacks left tackle frame. Long was the opposite (at least that was the perception).

SeanTaylorRIP
12-31-2008, 01:14 PM
Personally I have 4. Aaron Curry, Brian Orakpo, Andre Smith, Michael Crabtree.

CashmoneyDrew
12-31-2008, 01:17 PM
These are the possibilities, not all of which will receive the grade of course.
-Stafford
-Crabtree
-Andre Smith
-Orakpo
-Curry
-Jenkins

ChiFan24
12-31-2008, 01:23 PM
Scott will give it to Stafford and Curry.

Personally, I'd go with Stafford, Malcolm Jenkins, and my personal favorite, Vontae Davis.

etk
12-31-2008, 01:42 PM
Stafford, Curry, Smith. Crabtree is definitely elite in my books but we'll see what Scott says. WR is not usually an "elite" position unless your name is Calvin Johnson.

I don't think Jenkins is an elite corner. I don't even think he's a top 10 pick. w/e.

12-31-2008, 01:52 PM
I think he only gives out 3 this year :

- Aaron Curry
- Matt Stafford
- Malcolm Jenkins

That's it.

Babylon
12-31-2008, 02:03 PM
Maybe i havent been around here that long but is there an actual list of who is "elite"? I'm not sure what it even means but from what i've read of Scott's reports sounds like it is a very short list. Like maybe one.

ChiFan24
12-31-2008, 02:29 PM
Maybe i havent been around here that long but is there an actual list of who is "elite"? I'm not sure what it even means but from what i've read of Scott's reports sounds like it is a very short list. Like maybe one.

It's one of the labels under the player's picture in their scouting report. Elite, first rounder, 2nd or 3rd rounder, Mid rounder, Late Round/FA, I believe.

Scott Wright
12-31-2008, 11:59 PM
I think the most "Elite" grades I've ever given out in a single year was 5 or 6...

Curry already got it and assuming he comes out Stafford is almost a lock.

After that I'd say there are another 3-4 players who have the potential to get it.

Also, keep in mind that just because a guy starts out with 4 or 5 stars that doesn't necessarily mean they will end that way in late April.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
01-01-2009, 01:12 AM
Why does everyone assume Crabtree bolts?

CashmoneyDrew
01-01-2009, 01:19 AM
Why does everyone assume Crabtree bolts?

Because he's easily the best WR in this class, but not so much in next years class.

foozball
01-01-2009, 03:14 AM
is matt stafford really that good? physically he has all the tools of an elite prospect, and he's played in the SEC, but he hasnt put up dominating numbers.

TitanHope
01-01-2009, 08:22 AM
He doesn't look under 6' from what I've seen, but even if he is under 6' (slightly) I don't think that will affect him much in terms of draft stock or how he is viewed as a player. He has been great for Ohio State and him being 5'11" would still put him in prototypical CB size, just on the lower end now. His physical tools and how he plays his position are too good for than inch or so to make a big difference.

I couldn't agree with you more, and I'm not meaning to say that his being 5'11 would change his draft position. All I'm saying is where do you draw the line between being "Elite" and being "Top 10" pick.

It has something to do with position, though. Corner isn't a position you take Top 3, or even Top 5. So if he is Elite, he still may not go higher than non-Elite players.

Bluh, before I start babbling. If my definition of an Elite CB is that he has the skills that Jenkins possesses while his height is 6'1 and speed is 4.35 40, then that's the bar. If Jenkins has his skills but is 5'10 and speed is 4.45 40, then he falls just short.

Right now with the information I have, Jenkins looks like a can't miss player. But, if new information is revealed, then his play may not be able to compensate that "Elite" status. But this is just my view and not a guess at what Scott labels him.

JRTPlaya21
01-01-2009, 09:01 AM
Because he's easily the best WR in this class, but not so much in next years class.

Who are you thinking about as better next year? Dez Bryant & Arrelious Benn?

AtariBigby
01-01-2009, 09:26 AM
Did Vernon Gholston get the "elite" "label" last year and what did he do on the NFL field this season >> in a year with a lot of big rookie contributions?

Remember, it's a crapshoot label anyway, when you consider where these defensive guys were all drafted, non were top-5 guys (yet somehow my team's AJ Hawk WAS a top-5 pick):

Ray Lewis
Ed Reed
Troy Polamalu
Bob Sanders
Nnamdi Asomugha
DeMarcus Ware
James Harrison
Kevin Williams
Jared Allen
what pick was Patrick Willis?

TitanHope
01-01-2009, 09:46 AM
I think Willis was picked 11th...not too sure though.

Elite prospects have the chance of busting just like any other prospect. Besides, we're talking about them just as prospects. Of course, there are great players in the NFL who weren't deemed as Elite coming out. The opposite is true as well. In '06, Elite prospect Mario Williams has become a Pro Bowler. In '07, Elite prospect Calvin Johnson has had phenomenal success on one of the worst teams in NFL history. In '08, Elite prospect Matt Ryan won rookie of the year.

Besides, Elite prospects are affected by their position just like other prospects. Sean Taylor is the best safety prospect in NFL history, yet he was selected 5th overall in the Draft. A team who picks Top 5 is likely in the market for a quarterback, left tackle, or defensive lineman more than a safety. Thus, amazing players will fall because they don't play a premier position.

AtariBigby
01-01-2009, 09:52 AM
Well however it works, please make sure my Packers get an elite player at #9 in April.

We've only had one top 5 pick since 1992, and we got AJ Hawk at #5 in the 2006 draft. While solid, he's not been at all a difference-maker and in fact has been like a solid 2nd round pick mostly.

Our other high pick in the past 10 years was Justin Harrell at #16 in 2007, and he's played about 8 games in 2 years and provided nothing other than being a body.

Most years, the #5 pick can get you an Adrian Peterson or Sean Taylor or Patrick Willis or DeMarcus Ware. We got an average player.

TitanHope
01-01-2009, 10:03 AM
It happens bud. The Titans selected PacMan Jones 6th overall in 2005. Passing on guys like Shawne Merriman, DeMarcus Ware, and others.

It hurts. It hurts bad. But time heals all wounds (I still have hopes for Justin Harrell though).